Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+33
Conrack
Madara
Mr. Tart
sinspaw
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Nessima017
Dogwelder
Argetlam350
OmarTheFuzzy
bosslugger
ComaPrison
raecor14
Serious_Much
mr_no_face
ViralEnsign_
Reaperfan
Sloth9230
Strigoi
MasterofShadows
dragonbeast6
Onion Knight
carlucio
steveswede
EpicNameBro
Acarnatia
BIG TIME MASTER
sciicers
The Letter X
Infighter
Juutas
XachAttack
tofucactaur
NDenizen
37 posters

New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article) - Page 5 Empty Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

Post by mr_no_face Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Yeah a sheath mechanic could easily be implemented via it being a gesture option and the weapon stay sheathed until the player presses the attack button to un-sheath and then the next time it starts doing attacks. So it would require some thinking ahead when you're going to un-sheath if you're running around with it sheathed but not by much at all ya know
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article) - Page 5 Empty Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

Post by Acarnatia Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Yeah, I've done that several times now-and I often just OHKO the npc, not just anger them. And I'm still glad that's the way the Soul Series is.
    I think a sheath function is the perfect solution.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:08 pm

all in favor for sheath gesture : everyone... all apposed: none
    Nessima017
    Nessima017
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nessima017 Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:09 pm

Yeah sheathing is a better solution.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Sheathing makes things safer, while still demanding the player to think and be careful (perhaps you should put your weapon away when you are talking to a friend?). Aye.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:14 pm

yeah well if you wanna make things easy and not have to make a gesture and junk then just make the talk animation sheath it and un sheath when done
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:17 pm

A gesture would be fine, it bothers me to have a sheath and not being able to put my sword away.

Wouldn't this all be better placed on the wishlist though?
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:A gesture would be fine, it bothers me to have a sheath and not being able to put my sword away.

Wouldn't this all be better placed on the wishlist though?

Well there was a discussion about important NPC's becoming aggroed too easily, so I suggested it.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:24 pm

lol ok some one go suggest sheathing in the other thread x)
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:33 pm

MasterofShadows wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:
    Nessima017 wrote:Another fix is that the NPCs could just give the player a few warnings before going hostile.

Yeah, that's the suggestion I posed earlier in the convo.

Do you think soneone gives you a warning if they hack you with a sword? Somehow I don't think so.

To be honest I guess it's a point, but it's really your fault if you wreck your world, there should be consequences and lessening those to me waters down the importance of your actions in the game world.

You're telling me that its actually good game design to punish a player for either dropping his controller or pressing the wrong input while trying to navigate through the freaking menu? If so, its a good thing you aren't working on the game.

Imagine that you've been spending hours, maybe days, hunting down the required amount of slabs to level up a particular item. You finally get to the only Blacksmith that is able to modify that particular weapon and use those slabs, and accidentally hit the wrong input while navigating through the menu. You end up hitting the guy. You actually think its okay to force the player to have to wait until NG to try again? Really?

I'm saying its your own fault and you're being punished for being a bit stupid, not good game design. Frankly it's true it's an issue, but there's far more important things I'd rather them focus on. I couldn't care less if I could sheath my weapon if the rest of the game is a steaming turd.

Wouldn't care if they don't change this, but I would care if say, they don't expand upon weapons or mob/boss types
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:38 pm

I'd prefer a gesture so that you can do it away from NPCs as well. Think of how that could enhance the interaction with invaders. The invader, instead of attacking you, sheathes his weapon.....hmmm....what's he up to (keeps his weapon out just in case)....?
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:
    Nessima017 wrote:Another fix is that the NPCs could just give the player a few warnings before going hostile.

Yeah, that's the suggestion I posed earlier in the convo.

Do you think soneone gives you a warning if they hack you with a sword? Somehow I don't think so.

To be honest I guess it's a point, but it's really your fault if you wreck your world, there should be consequences and lessening those to me waters down the importance of your actions in the game world.

You're telling me that its actually good game design to punish a player for either dropping his controller or pressing the wrong input while trying to navigate through the freaking menu? If so, its a good thing you aren't working on the game.

Imagine that you've been spending hours, maybe days, hunting down the required amount of slabs to level up a particular item. You finally get to the only Blacksmith that is able to modify that particular weapon and use those slabs, and accidentally hit the wrong input while navigating through the menu. You end up hitting the guy. You actually think its okay to force the player to have to wait until NG to try again? Really?

I'm saying its your own fault and you're being punished for being a bit stupid, not good game design. Frankly it's true it's an issue, but there's far more important things I'd rather them focus on. I couldn't care less if I could sheath my weapon if the rest of the game is a steaming turd.

Wouldn't care if they don't change this, but I would care if say, they don't expand upon weapons or mob/boss types

As I said before, its a good thing that you aren't working on the game, seeing as you can so easily, in good conscience, call someone "a bit stupid" for dropping their controller, or for their dog or cat stepping on one of the inputs. Either way, I think most other people at least understand,and FROM obviously understood (which is why they implemented the absolution mechanic), so think what you want.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:47 pm

lol, number five in the pic, i think thats vamos just with flesh! the helmet is similar in shape and frankly the horns on the helm we get from vamos look like aditions to the helm in the pic, at the very least the guy must be related to vamos.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:54 pm

the dwarf looking people are said to be a race that live under ground. i see these guys as being annoying little douches that slip and slide and attack below the belt (lol they're short) rather than brutes with big axes
    sinspaw
    sinspaw
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinspaw Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:49 am

It could be a great game. One thing is very clear to me at this point however, and that is that it's going to be a completed different game. I don't believe there will be stuff like covenants either. As much optimistic as reading the comments from the EDGE guys who watched the game play may have made be towards DKS2... I was also disgusted with NAMCO.

When I was reading that Miyazaki actually corrected himself in regards to not really being his own choice; then the guy from NAMCO says it was a company decision to step him out; THEN they say DKS was in development before DKS1 even came out!?! That is some ********. That to me means that the relationship between Miyazaki and NAMCO had already broken down by then. However good or bad DKS did... Miyazaki was likely already out. Just... disgusting. The lack of respect for this visionary that walks among us and creates products like no other being treated like this. His baby is gone with different people now, and a much bigger budget; and he is on an entirely new project. I bet his supervisor title on DKS2 is merely to look 'good' when the media writes so.

Ugh... somehow DKS2 is already slightly tainted for me, regardless of how good it might come to be.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:46 am

I'm gonna have to check out the interview at a later time, however i think the Concept Art looks pretty nice, and some of it looks darker than the Dks Concept Art did. It's not enough for me to get my hopes up though. Thanks for the post. silly
    bosslugger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by bosslugger Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

sinspaw wrote:It could be a great game. One thing is very clear to me at this point however, and that is that it's going to be a completed different game. I don't believe there will be stuff like covenants either. As much optimistic as reading the comments from the EDGE guys who watched the game play may have made be towards DKS2... I was also disgusted with NAMCO.

When I was reading that Miyazaki actually corrected himself in regards to not really being his own choice; then the guy from NAMCO says it was a company decision to step him out; THEN they say DKS was in development before DKS1 even came out!?! That is some ********. That to me means that the relationship between Miyazaki and NAMCO had already broken down by then. However good or bad DKS did... Miyazaki was likely already out. Just... disgusting. The lack of respect for this visionary that walks among us and creates products like no other being treated like this. His baby is gone with different people now, and a much bigger budget; and he is on an entirely new project. I bet his supervisor title on DKS2 is merely to look 'good' when the media writes so.

Ugh... somehow DKS2 is already slightly tainted for me, regardless of how good it might come to be.

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps Miyazaki was burned out and wanted a change? He said himself in previous interviews he wasn't sure if he'd to a follow-up to Dark Souls, and that was around the time DkSII was starting development.
    He's been the director of this series for 5+ years, plus he said in the Edge interview that he wants to work on something "warmer".
    Perhaps it comes down to this: Namco reached out to him to direct a sequel, he said no thanks, I'd like to work on something else, so they asked him to tap a successor to lead it, and asked him to supervise the transition.
    It is entirely in the realm of possibility that Miyazaki just tired of the Souls universe and wanted something else to work on. Why must we immediately jump to the sinister and assume he was kicked out?
    We may not get what we want in a sequel, but I for one am not going to attack From/Namco without knowing what really happened.
    Madara
    Madara
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Madara Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:00 pm

This interview with Shibuya just pissed me off quiet frankly, they took off Miyazaki off the team because he didn't cater to hardcore fans and left some c*nt take his place. They are trying to give fans a "new" experience by which they mean "f*ck the fans, we need people to buy the game lets cater to everyone except the fans". I stopped reading when they proclaimed that the knight really is the main character. This is going to be recorded as the worst souls game ever and i'm not the kind of guy that says these things. Usually i'm open about these things but Shibuya just said all of the wrong things, especially for me as a Souls fan.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:01 pm

bosslugger wrote:
    sinspaw wrote:It could be a great game. One thing is very clear to me at this point however, and that is that it's going to be a completed different game. I don't believe there will be stuff like covenants either. As much optimistic as reading the comments from the EDGE guys who watched the game play may have made be towards DKS2... I was also disgusted with NAMCO.

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps Miyazaki was burned out and wanted a change? He said himself in previous interviews he wasn't sure if he'd to a follow-up to Dark Souls, and that was around the time DkSII was starting development.
    He's been the director of this series for 5+ years, plus he said in the Edge interview that he wants to work on something "warmer".
    Perhaps it comes down to this: Namco reached out to him to direct a sequel, he said no thanks, I'd like to work on something else, so they asked him to tap a successor to lead it, and asked him to supervise the transition.
    It is entirely in the realm of possibility that Miyazaki just tired of the Souls universe and wanted something else to work on. Why must we immediately jump to the sinister and assume he was kicked out?
    We may not get what we want in a sequel, but I for one am not going to attack From/Namco without knowing what really happened.

Of course, most of what you are saying, despite how reasonable it is, will be falling on deaf ears. Apparently, conspiracy sounds so much better than what you are saying.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:16 pm

To be honest I could see miyazaki doing this other warmer game but also then having a heavy hand in bringing souls to mobile gaming like the vita, he's already previously expressed interest it.

I'm not sure if Miyazaki was forced out, I think he probably did so voluntarily as he felt he couldn't expand upon his work enough to merit being director and/or wished to work on something else, I wouldn't be surprised really, from what he's done with from he might be seen as their leading director for new projects now.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:16 pm

People are going Hollow left and right! Hold on to your humanity!
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:16 pm

theres a thread for the bring miyazki back stuff, this ones about the art the op posted and the interviews, can we get back to hopeful speculation about the creatures shown? like how the zombie/necromorh thing (#6) looks somewhat like ceasless discharge to me or maybe about the circle blades the guy in the middle is dual wielding. this thread was starting to get depressing
    bosslugger
    Casual
    Casual

Post by bosslugger Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:18 pm

MasterofShadows wrote:
    bosslugger wrote:

Of course, most of what you are saying, despite how reasonable it is, will be falling on deaf ears. Apparently, conspiracy sounds so much better than what you are saying.

Meh. People believe what they want to believe. Personally, I remain respectful of Miyazaki and From, and I say thank you for allowing me to experience two amazing games that literally changed my gaming experience.
    Dark Souls II may or may not live up to the hype, but even if it's not what we want, I'm honored to have been a part of the Souls journey, and I'll leave it at that.
    Conrack
    Conrack
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Conrack Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:22 pm

tofucactaur wrote:Once again my main fear arises; the use of the term 'main hero' to describe the character from the trailer....I have a feeling they want to implement a main predetermined character....which would be AWFUL..... also, vehicles seems like a strange choice..... hmmmm. The enemy design seems sorta cool I guess...

The main hero think sounds fine to me, as already in both games you are the main hero; a Lone warrior [who braves the baneful fog], the Chosen Undead. so I really don't see any problem with this, vehicles are fine so long as I can directly control them (I'm thinking more specifically about horses and how teribly Elder Scrolls that would make some aspects of the game (though who's to say they won't come up with an inovative way to work with it). enemy design seems much more like Demon's Souls big grin so I can't really complain about that either. all in all I'm very happy with the concepts and hope it turns out great!
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:33 pm

Yeah, I did get a Demon's Souls vibe from some of the enemy designs. While there are a lot of things I like about Demon's Souls, I hope they don't go as dark as that game did. That game was great, but sometimes the levels and enemies were a little too consistently disturbing. I felt like I had to put down the game, go take a shower, and then take a break from it for a while.

Dark Souls was a little more balanced. There were disturbing creatures, and there were also straight up awesome enemies. And they actually made a point to show you the sun and the sky every once in a while. It helped calm you a bit. Think about it, didn't you get that awesome feeling of hope after the Gargoyle battle in the Parish, when you climb to the top of the tower and ring the bell? And all this, despite the fact that you had NO idea why you were ringing it in the first place. Excellent design there!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:29 pm