Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
phastings
jaythibodeau
A Fierce Plankton
Seignar
Encore
Sentiel
Buttcheekofdeth
Exalted Oreo
Shakie666
Sargerus
eminusx
15 posters

Edge Magazine E3 info

eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Edge Magazine E3 info Empty Edge Magazine E3 info

Post by eminusx Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:16 pm

some interesting info from edge magazine, particularly on enemy AI.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/e3-2013-dark-souls-ii-hands-on-impressions-and-new-details-on-fromsoftwares-sequel/
    Sargerus
    Sargerus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Edge Magazine E3 info Empty Re: Edge Magazine E3 info

Post by Sargerus Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:20 pm

points out that no-one has defeated the new demo’s boss, the Mirror Knight, all day. Not even Matt Warner, the QA lead playing it for the press, has managed it.

So either:
    1-DkS2 is harder
    2-Gaming Journalists cant play for ****
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Sargerus wrote:
    points out that no-one has defeated the new demo’s boss, the Mirror Knight, all day. Not even Matt Warner, the QA lead playing it for the press, has managed it.

So either:

1-DkS2 is harder

Both I suspect.

What I find intruiging is that backstabs and rispostes now don't have i-frames - I don't know if this means getting hit will cancel the bs/ripostes, or just let you take damage while its happening. That could be a game-changer for both pve and pvp. I'm also intruiged to see you can now carry 3 weapons at a time.

Also, the mirror knight: sounds interesting. Maybe his attacks will mirror what attacks you do/can use?

EDIT: Apparently, the mirror knight can summon a kind of 'mirror image' of you to help out. It could be an AI enemy or it could be another player. Old Monk 2.0 anyone?
    Exalted Oreo
    Exalted Oreo

Post by Exalted Oreo Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:54 pm

have fun killing gankers when they can now hit you during a bs or reposte
    Buttcheekofdeth

Post by Buttcheekofdeth Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:40 pm

"Dark Souls II’s new engine also does away with the first game’s canned animations: if you’re surrounded by a group, you can’t game the animation system and buy yourself time with the invincibility frames of a backstab or riposte."

Awesome.  If they limit the ability to backstab to enemies that are your size (no trolls or lizardmen) then this should completely fix backstabs in PVE.

As for PVP...Looks like we won't stand a chance against gankers.  But the fact that backstabs allowed you to win a 2 on 1 fight just goes to show that they were stupid.  If it's a 2 on 1 fight, you should lose, assuming everyone in the fight is about equal.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Sargerus wrote:

So either:
    1-DkS2 is harder

I hope for #1, but #2 is closer to reality.

On the other hand, they may hold back. Imagine them coming in there and pwn the game with ease, cos they trained for it. It would be terribly embarassing fror From and definitely would hinder the game's marketing.

I can guarantee you that me and many, many others in here would breeze through their demo and slaughtered their boss under 15 minutes. Would we, if we had the chance? Probably not. People would say "Hey look, he finished the demo on first try. From failed, the game is easy cake now." = less sales, less chance for another Souls game. Nobody wants that, right?
    Well maybe for other RPG publishers who get trashed by Souls ever since it got so notoriously famous for being not only hard as f*ck in desert, but for being just so damn good piece of RPG and game in general.
    Encore
    Encore
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : Bracing myself for the Winds of Change, being supported by the towering pillars of my friends.

Post by Encore Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Every time I doubt the games something coems along and reassures me.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Now just to explain to From that I want to hold the friggin' torch in my RIGHT hand, not my LEFT hand.
    It's really retarded to sacrifice your shield, your only source of defence against suprise attacks and ambushes in the darkness for a light source. I'd rather sacrifice my weapon and keep the shield. That way I can safely kite the enemies I meet in the dark into a better lit area and deal with them. Not to mention that the Torch might have some, even if weak attack to further help aggroing enemies. Nobody likes to have his butt set on fire.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:13 pm

It might be tweaked, although I highly doubt they'd make such a change unless someone voiced that concern...or you could block with a right-hand shield.
    A Fierce Plankton
    A Fierce Plankton
    Casual
    Casual

Post by A Fierce Plankton Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:27 pm

At the article they say that estus flasks restore your health completely, but at the e3 demo I'm pretty sure it didn't when the temple knight used it, so it must be just for demonstrational purposes. But I wonder if it's true that you'll be able to warp between any lit bonfire already at the start of the game.
    I don't like it, since that would kind of discourage intelligent level design and make interconnected and complex levels full of shortcuts a bit unnecessary.
    jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by jaythibodeau Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:46 pm

I'd love to be able to block with a shield in my right hand. It'd be nice to be able to make a left handed character for once... Or at least, an option to make your character left handed.
    (It's obviously not happening though)
    Buttcheekofdeth

Post by Buttcheekofdeth Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm

A Fierce Plankton wrote:
    I don't like it, since that would kind of discourage intelligent level design and make interconnected and complex levels full of shortcuts a bit unnecessary.

They'll have to make the distances between each bonfire A LOT larger to compensate.  Demons' Souls let you teleport between each "bonfire" and yet it still worked because in general, the distances between archstones is much larger than the distances between bonfires.  When the distance is that large, they can put satisfying shortcuts in between each bonfire.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:28 pm

"You can warp between bonfires from the very beginning of the game – as long as you’ve already visited them, of course."

Please, god... No! If this is the case, it will significantly shorten the game length, as they did state the world size would be roughly the same. I am hoping this was set up for journalists to better navigate the demo. I'm going to tell myself this and pray accessibility/less tedium will only extend to bonfires near boss fog gates (which is still a hard pill to swallow)

They are ultimately going to damage the reward part of finally beating a boss which includes the hazards of actually reaching him
    Looking Glass Mind
    Looking Glass Mind
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Looking Glass Mind Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:45 pm

^This.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:21 am

As an assassin I'm a little worried about backstabs losing their invincibility frames. I'm just hoping that the hornet ring or daggers will have a backstab that's only one quick, powerful hit so I can still kill someone before getting my *** kicked by his buddies.
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Argetlam350 Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:43 am

Well the bonfires warping at the start is worriesome, we have to wonder what bonfires they will allow us to teleport to. I doubt they will let you teleport to every single one.  You can't even warp to all the bonfires in Dark Souls. Most of the Bonfires you can teleport to are where you establish covenants, where you kill Gywn, Nito, Four Kings, and Seath, and then a few important bonfires that they added only after the Prepare to Die DLC to shorten runs. So I seem the teleporting between bonfires for Dark Souls 2 the same way. It's going to only be for bonfires deemed important due to perhaps that there is a covenant near by or perhaps for some other reason.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:07 am

Argetlam350 wrote:Well the bonfires warping at the start is worriesome, we have to wonder what bonfires they will allow us to teleport to. I doubt they will let you teleport to every single one.  You can't even warp to all the bonfires in Dark Souls. Most of the Bonfires you can teleport to are where you establish covenants, where you kill Gywn, Nito, Four Kings, and Seath, and then a few important bonfires that they added only after the Prepare to Die DLC to shorten runs. So I seem the teleporting between bonfires for Dark Souls 2 the same way. It's going to only be for bonfires deemed important due to perhaps that there is a covenant near by or perhaps for some other reason.
    I hope so, as I didn't mind how it was set up for dark souls. What I don't get is why they want to cut out "tedium" as they put it. I guess when people keep dying in the same spot because they are not learning how to overcome the obsticle would be considered "tedious." 

There was mention of black phantom enemies spawning in parts of the demo. If they made it so areas previously cleared would be populated with harder enemies upon warping back, that would atleast make it more interesting. With having bonfires near boss fog gates, I'm sure they will have something sinister in store just to keep us diehards pleased
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:49 am

I wouldn't worry about the bonfire warping part.
    You don't have to use it and instead walk all the way, old school style.
    However, if From f*cks this up, by making a lot of one way paths, like sliding down a broken ladder, with no option to get back up other than warping then it would suck. A lot.
    Werdax
    Werdax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Werdax Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:49 am

I trust the "Warp between bonfires at the start of the game" is just for demonstration purposes. I suppose it will also require some explanation, lore-wise, since it was the Lordvessel that allowed us to warp between bonfires in the first game.
    Either way, I don't think we will have the option to warp to every single bonfire. There needs to be at little bit of encouragement to run past the same area, more then once. That is the way Dark Souls let us learn the areas like the back of our hands. It would be a major flaw, if they removed that aspect of the game.
    eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by eminusx Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:10 am

Judging by the variation amongst the countless articles I've read it seems the demo's played at E3 were heavily controlled by the devs. Some had 'god-mode' switched on, some didn’t, sometimes estus fully filled the health bar yet in gameplay videos it didn’t etc etc. We have to admit also that we don’t know much other than what the press has experienced under 'controlled conditions' such as early warping between bonfires and the use of life-gen healing pick ups, so we don’t know if its just another 'helper' for E3 to make DS2's difficulty more palatable or not. If 50% of the press write articles saying it plays-out more accessible, and it looks THIS good then from a marketing point of view they’ve achieved what they set out to do.

personally, I think the important thing to remember is that a lot of these possible changes / additions seemingly could be avoidable by way of 'choices' made by the gamer, essentially you could set yourself some rules before you start and stick to them, no warping, estus only. . . .this could in fact make the game much much harder and more akin to DS. I'm probably gonna try that at first anyway.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:33 am

yea you guys are right about the "controlled environment" demo, which shouldn't be the basis for scrutiny. It is just hard not to analyse every little detail since this is the most we have seen so far, and so much rides on this being great. But i guess i never really cared so much for a series of games as I do these, its quite odd lol
    eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by eminusx Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:03 am

Yeah absolutely, I find it hard not to get too carried away, I also said I wasn't gonna watch any gameplay or read any lore speculation, hah, yeah right!

Damn my Souls dependency!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am