New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Share
    avatar
    EpicNameBro

    Posts : 2
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-11-24

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by EpicNameBro on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:46 am

    Dark Souls 2 will be a fun game- that I believe.

    However, most of the what they have said about it so far has been the exact opposite of what I wanted to hear. That doesn't mean it will be a bad game (the series could fall a VERY long way and still be good), but I think they are signalling very clearly that they are going to be moving in a different direction than I was hoping to see the series go.

    It's all wait and see at this point, but I'm honestly more interested in the Legendary Big M's next project than DkS2.
    avatar
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1500
    Reputation : 104
    Join date : 2012-06-30
    Age : 29
    Location : Finland

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by Juutas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:47 am

    EpicNameBro wrote:Dark Souls 2 will be a fun game- that I believe.

    However, most of the what they have said about it so far has been the exact opposite of what I wanted to hear. That doesn't mean it will be a bad game (the series could fall a VERY long way and still be good), but I think they are signalling very clearly that they are going to be moving in a different direction than I was hoping to see the series go.

    It's all wait and see at this point, but I'm honestly more interested in the Legendary Big M's next project than DkS2.

    EpicNameBro??? O___O


    _________________
    "Now stay down!" "...okay"

    Twitch.tv: www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Juutas1988
    XBOX: Juutas1988
    PC: Juutas1988
    avatar
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1500
    Reputation : 104
    Join date : 2012-06-30
    Age : 29
    Location : Finland

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by Juutas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 am

    I don't really care too much if they make SOME things more accessible (like how to access covenants, or explaining what different items do better etc.) but I still want the game to be actual playing 99% of the time like Dark Souls was. New director wants to add more action? this can be good in certain scenarios (like dragon fights could take something from Monster Hunter-series) but in the end I want the combat to be more tactical and punishing than more hectic...we'll see.


    _________________
    "Now stay down!" "...okay"

    Twitch.tv: www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Juutas1988
    XBOX: Juutas1988
    PC: Juutas1988
    avatar
    sciicers
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 34
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-12-08
    Location : Germany

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by sciicers on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 am

    i dont like the new (co)director at all
    he looks like a total douchebag, i dont like fashion boys
    and that he wants dark souls to be even more action-orientated is concerning
    but i'm not really all too worried about it at this point
    miyazakis next project is definitely something to look at though, even if he wants it to be warmer, whatever that means
    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 am

    EpicNameBro wrote:Dark Souls 2 will be a fun game- that I believe.

    However, most of the what they have said about it so far has been the exact opposite of what I wanted to hear. That doesn't mean it will be a bad game (the series could fall a VERY long way and still be good), but I think they are signalling very clearly that they are going to be moving in a different direction than I was hoping to see the series go.

    It's all wait and see at this point, but I'm honestly more interested in the Legendary Big M's next project than DkS2.


    I was optimistic, but after skimming through the article I am of the same sentiment. Having graduated from DKS, I am eager to have the sequel be even harder, more obscure, and in every way more challenging, but it seems the next DKS will be for newbies, and not DKS alumni such as we, based upon that article at least.
    avatar
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 353
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-10-20

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by Infighter on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:13 pm

    I wonder if Miyazaki works on new RPG? Maybe From sent him on new mission if DKS2 Will fall short? lol


    _________________
    Strength Above All



    http://www.youtube.com/user/infighter771
    avatar
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 652
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2012-10-30
    Age : 37

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by steveswede on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:14 pm

    Juutas wrote:I don't really care too much if they make SOME things more accessible (like how to access covenants, or explaining what different items do better etc.)

    I do, especially the way the context of it was presented in the interview. I love the fact that the Souls community was formed by the fact that we all contributed to figuring stuff out, piecing stuff together and finding out some obscure secret that you can share with the community so straight up telling stuff especially if it's mandatory is not only boring but annoying and takes away value. I recently got Kingdoms of Amalur and within the first few minutes I got a whole bunch of exposition that was just like that. I didn't care and wanted to get straight back to the gameplay. Is this what we're expected to see, the destruction of mystery because of the fear new players can't think for themselves. There are already plans to restrict what the player gets in the first part of the game so new players get a better understanding. Is that a hint that the selection of options that us Souls players have come accustomed to will be limited to a linear progression. How annoying would that be if we can't build our characters from the get go.
    avatar
    carlucio
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 177
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-08-17
    Age : 28
    Location : Brazil

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by carlucio on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:23 pm

    Jesus, i could not find Dark souls on it and i can't controll myself, sometimes i think " Hey, that's gonna be a good game at least", but Demon's souls and Dark souls were so great that i just can't acept that waste of potential.
    avatar
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1046
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2012-05-25
    Age : 24
    Location : Great Britain

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by Onion Knight on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:01 pm

    sciicers wrote:i dont like the new (co)director at all
    he looks like a total douchebag, i dont like fashion boys
    and that he wants dark souls to be even more action-orientated is concerning
    but i'm not really all too worried about it at this point
    miyazakis next project is definitely something to look at though, even if he wants it to be warmer, whatever that means
    Oh dear...


    _________________
    Steam: OnionKnight
    PSN: Bohemond-Antioch93
    Youtube: Balthier Ivalice
    avatar
    dragonbeast6
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 57
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-12-10
    Location : Northern hemisphere..scandenavia

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by dragonbeast6 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:06 pm

    Everything looks good except the "This is our hero" quote.
    Also....vehicles?? PLease god no
    Also Doesen`t the zombie thing with the spider on his
    back looks kind of like the "Wont die zombie" in Dead Space??
    http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

    Best image i could find but if you played the game you`ll know what Im talking about


    _________________
    Dark souls 2 :affraid:
    My life is over
    avatar
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 243
    Reputation : 9
    Join date : 2012-12-11

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by MasterofShadows on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:13 pm

    steveswede wrote:There are already plans to restrict what the player gets in the first part of the game so new players get a better understanding. Is that a hint that the selection of options that us Souls players have come accustomed to will be limited to a linear progression. How annoying would that be if we can't build our characters from the get go.

    Well, it depends on how they do it, really. If they start by only allowing us to simply pick our character's looks, and then, shortly thereafter, allow us to make bigger decisions (equipment, progression paths, etc.) once we understand the game better, then I don't see that as particularly negative.


    _________________
    "Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

    "P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-
    avatar
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1500
    Reputation : 104
    Join date : 2012-06-30
    Age : 29
    Location : Finland

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by Juutas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 pm

    Only one thing in Dark Souls really felt retarted for me the first time I played: if you attack the NPCs they are always aggroed (you can do absolution, but it's way too expensive and it's still hard to figure out during the first play). This is bulls*it because in Dark Souls certain characters had really important roles depending on the build you were doing and just simply attacking a wrong NPC your whole game could be ruined.


    _________________
    "Now stay down!" "...okay"

    Twitch.tv: www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Juutas1988
    XBOX: Juutas1988
    PC: Juutas1988
    avatar
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1046
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2012-05-25
    Age : 24
    Location : Great Britain

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by Onion Knight on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:27 pm

    Juutas wrote:Only one thing in Dark Souls really felt retarted for me the first time I played: if you attack the NPCs they are always aggroed (you can do absolution, but it's way too expensive and it's still hard to figure out during the first play). This is bulls*it because in Dark Souls certain characters had really important roles depending on the build you were doing and just simply attacking a wrong NPC your whole game could be ruined.
    In Demon's Souls there was no absolution.
    It should be free or cheaper (absolution) but they need to keep in that responsibility for your actions which has been removed from modern rpg's.


    _________________
    Steam: OnionKnight
    PSN: Bohemond-Antioch93
    Youtube: Balthier Ivalice
    avatar
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 243
    Reputation : 9
    Join date : 2012-12-11

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by MasterofShadows on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:35 pm

    Onion Knight wrote:
    Juutas wrote:Only one thing in Dark Souls really felt retarted for me the first time I played: if you attack the NPCs they are always aggroed (you can do absolution, but it's way too expensive and it's still hard to figure out during the first play). This is bulls*it because in Dark Souls certain characters had really important roles depending on the build you were doing and just simply attacking a wrong NPC your whole game could be ruined.
    In Demon's Souls there was no absolution.
    It should be free or cheaper (absolution) but they need to keep in that responsibility for your actions which has been removed from modern rpg's.

    Sure, but there is a difference between making a conscious choice to attack an NPC, and accidentally wacking the Blacksmith across the head with your mace because you accidentally pressed the wrong button while navigating through the menu. I can't tell you how many times that placing my PS3 controller on the floor caused the character to activate his L2 or R2 attack. The design of the controller makes it that easy.

    There should have been two things done to fix this issue, and I hope they implement it this time. Both of these are quite common in modern games:
    1. When the player is navigating the game's menu, lock them out from being able to perform any other actions, such as swinging their weapon. All they should be able to do is run away or dodge, just in case someone or something tries to attack them while they are talking to an NPC.
    2. Have the NPC issue a warning to the player after being struck the first time (I swear, if you hit me again....). If the player continues hitting the NPC a second or third time, then the NPC should go into hostile mode. I still think that Absolution should exist though.

    Having no absolution in Demon's Souls was stupid, and FROM realized that later.


    _________________
    "Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

    "P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-
    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:37 pm

    Not trying to argue against your point, but the NPCs usually do take two or three hits before they rage.
    avatar
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 243
    Reputation : 9
    Join date : 2012-12-11

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by MasterofShadows on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:45 pm

    BIG TIME MASTER wrote:Not trying to argue against your point, but the NPCs usually do take two or three hits before they rage.

    Ah, I see. The reason that I didn't know this was because I rarely attacked merchants or other NPCs (but I sure did kill Chester and Ciaran for their gear immediately!).


    _________________
    "Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

    "P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-
    avatar
    dragonbeast6
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 57
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-12-10
    Location : Northern hemisphere..scandenavia

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by dragonbeast6 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:49 pm

    Just had a thought...have anyone lese had the idea that the
    "this is our hero" quote could be referring to a knight that has gone before you??
    Sort of like what Sir Artorias was in the first game. Sort of like a backdrop in the story??
    He was always referred as a great hero that braved the abyss...
    Just a thought though.....


    _________________
    Dark souls 2 :affraid:
    My life is over
    avatar
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 243
    Reputation : 9
    Join date : 2012-12-11

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by MasterofShadows on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:53 pm

    dragonbeast6 wrote:Just had a thought...have anyone lese had the idea that the
    "this is our hero" quote could be referring to a knight that has gone before you??
    Sort of like what Sir Artorias was in the first game. Sort of like a backdrop in the story??
    He was always referred as a great hero that braved the abyss...
    Just a thought though.....

    The reason that I can't see that being the case is because we now have the Edge interview which confirms it as a sequel. The hero would have to be someone that came after the one in Dark Souls.


    _________________
    "Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

    "P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-
    avatar
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1500
    Reputation : 104
    Join date : 2012-06-30
    Age : 29
    Location : Finland

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by Juutas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:55 pm

    BIG TIME MASTER wrote:Not trying to argue against your point, but the NPCs usually do take two or three hits before they rage.

    Wrong. If your attack is strong enough all it takes is once single hit, that's how I aggroed the pyromancer when I tried to free him from the barrel.
    Even if you would want to kill some NPC it's just limiting yourself unintentionally in the first play because you are cut of certain spells or items and it's just unfair for new player and doesn't really give anything positive to the game.


    _________________
    "Now stay down!" "...okay"

    Twitch.tv: www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Juutas1988
    XBOX: Juutas1988
    PC: Juutas1988
    avatar
    dragonbeast6
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 57
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-12-10
    Location : Northern hemisphere..scandenavia

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by dragonbeast6 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 pm

    MasterofShadows wrote:
    dragonbeast6 wrote:Just had a thought...have anyone lese had the idea that the
    "this is our hero" quote could be referring to a knight that has gone before you??
    Sort of like what Sir Artorias was in the first game. Sort of like a backdrop in the story??
    He was always referred as a great hero that braved the abyss...
    Just a thought though.....

    The reason that I can't see that being the case is because we now have the Edge interview which confirms it as a sequel. The hero would have to be someone that came after the one in Dark Souls.

    Yeas, but in the interview its also stated that we are no longer in Lodran so this could be a so far unknown hero in lodran, since the entirety of Dark souls was in Lodran.


    _________________
    Dark souls 2 :affraid:
    My life is over
    avatar
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 243
    Reputation : 9
    Join date : 2012-12-11

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by MasterofShadows on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:06 pm

    dragonbeast6 wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:
    dragonbeast6 wrote:Just had a thought...have anyone lese had the idea that the
    "this is our hero" quote could be referring to a knight that has gone before you??
    Sort of like what Sir Artorias was in the first game. Sort of like a backdrop in the story??
    He was always referred as a great hero that braved the abyss...
    Just a thought though.....

    The reason that I can't see that being the case is because we now have the Edge interview which confirms it as a sequel. The hero would have to be someone that came after the one in Dark Souls.

    Yeas, but in the interview its also stated that we are no longer in Lodran so this could be a so far unknown hero in lodran, since the entirety of Dark souls was in Lodran.

    I'm just referring to your idea that it could be a hero that has "gone before us". Knowing that its a sequel makes it hard to imagine the hero as being someone that came before the hero in Dark Souls.


    _________________
    "Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

    "P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-
    avatar
    Strigoi

    Posts : 10
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-12-11
    Location : Norway

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by Strigoi on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:19 pm

    Juutas wrote:Only thing that bugs me is the "this is THE main hero"...nah, they couldn't be so stupid as to remove our freedom in character creation...could they?

    I seriously don't hope so.
    avatar
    dragonbeast6
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 57
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-12-10
    Location : Northern hemisphere..scandenavia

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by dragonbeast6 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:38 pm

    MasterofShadows wrote:
    dragonbeast6 wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:
    dragonbeast6 wrote:Just had a thought...have anyone lese had the idea that the
    "this is our hero" quote could be referring to a knight that has gone before you??
    Sort of like what Sir Artorias was in the first game. Sort of like a backdrop in the story??
    He was always referred as a great hero that braved the abyss...
    Just a thought though.....

    The reason that I can't see that being the case is because we now have the Edge interview which confirms it as a sequel. The hero would have to be someone that came after the one in Dark Souls.

    Yeas, but in the interview its also stated that we are no longer in Lodran so this could be a so far unknown hero in lodran, since the entirety of Dark souls was in Lodran.

    I'm just referring to your idea that it could be a hero that has "gone before us". Knowing that its a sequel makes it hard to imagine the hero as being someone that came before the hero in Dark Souls.

    Well In Lodran he would be unknown however in the lands that Dark souls 2 are going to be he may be more well known or one of many. Also the Girl that everybodys says is velka which i dont buy could be a new sheppard kind of like the blind girl in Demon souls.

    Many has gone before you...small and great but none have returned. The intro in demons souls also referred to many "Hero`s" that had gone before you and they were just npc`s that you met in the game.


    _________________
    Dark souls 2 :affraid:
    My life is over
    avatar
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1500
    Reputation : 104
    Join date : 2012-06-30
    Age : 29
    Location : Finland

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by Juutas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:44 pm

    "According to Shibuya, the players ability to parse the meaning behind subtle hints or clues in the game's environment will determine the difficulty of the game and the challenges that are available for them to experience"

    Sounds like Dark Souls to me.


    _________________
    "Now stay down!" "...okay"

    Twitch.tv: www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/Juutas1988
    XBOX: Juutas1988
    PC: Juutas1988
    avatar
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1737
    Reputation : 67
    Join date : 2012-12-10
    Age : 24
    Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by Sloth9230 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:52 pm

    Why do people see the word "hero" and automatically assume that they will remove character creation? It's just a title like chosen undead or whatever was used in Demon's Souls. Also it's important to remember that just because someone is a "hero" it doesn't automatically mean that they're "good" as far as morality goes, Greek heroes seldom were.


    _________________
    Some people wrestle with their personal demons. I stabbed mine in the back of the head. He was a bleeder....
    C'mon, Everybody! Do The Black Mage!
    PSN-Name: Sloth9230

    Sponsored content

    Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 am