Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+33
Conrack
Madara
Mr. Tart
sinspaw
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Nessima017
Dogwelder
Argetlam350
OmarTheFuzzy
bosslugger
ComaPrison
raecor14
Serious_Much
mr_no_face
ViralEnsign_
Reaperfan
Sloth9230
Strigoi
MasterofShadows
dragonbeast6
Onion Knight
carlucio
steveswede
EpicNameBro
Acarnatia
BIG TIME MASTER
sciicers
The Letter X
Infighter
Juutas
XachAttack
tofucactaur
NDenizen
37 posters

New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

EpicNameBro
    EpicNameBro

New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article) - Page 2 Empty Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

Post by EpicNameBro Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:46 am

Dark Souls 2 will be a fun game- that I believe.

However, most of the what they have said about it so far has been the exact opposite of what I wanted to hear. That doesn't mean it will be a bad game (the series could fall a VERY long way and still be good), but I think they are signalling very clearly that they are going to be moving in a different direction than I was hoping to see the series go.

It's all wait and see at this point, but I'm honestly more interested in the Legendary Big M's next project than DkS2.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article) - Page 2 Empty Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

Post by Juutas Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:47 am

EpicNameBro wrote:Dark Souls 2 will be a fun game- that I believe.

However, most of the what they have said about it so far has been the exact opposite of what I wanted to hear. That doesn't mean it will be a bad game (the series could fall a VERY long way and still be good), but I think they are signalling very clearly that they are going to be moving in a different direction than I was hoping to see the series go.

It's all wait and see at this point, but I'm honestly more interested in the Legendary Big M's next project than DkS2.

EpicNameBro??? O___O
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 am

I don't really care too much if they make SOME things more accessible (like how to access covenants, or explaining what different items do better etc.) but I still want the game to be actual playing 99% of the time like Dark Souls was. New director wants to add more action? this can be good in certain scenarios (like dragon fights could take something from Monster Hunter-series) but in the end I want the combat to be more tactical and punishing than more hectic...we'll see.
    sciicers
    sciicers

Post by sciicers Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 am

i dont like the new (co)director at all
    he looks like a total douchebag, i dont like fashion boys
    and that he wants dark souls to be even more action-orientated is concerning
    but i'm not really all too worried about it at this point
    miyazakis next project is definitely something to look at though, even if he wants it to be warmer, whatever that means
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 am

EpicNameBro wrote:Dark Souls 2 will be a fun game- that I believe.

I was optimistic, but after skimming through the article I am of the same sentiment. Having graduated from DKS, I am eager to have the sequel be even harder, more obscure, and in every way more challenging, but it seems the next DKS will be for newbies, and not DKS alumni such as we, based upon that article at least.
    Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Infighter Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:13 pm

I wonder if Miyazaki works on new RPG? Maybe From sent him on new mission if DKS2 Will fall short? lol
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:14 pm

Juutas wrote:I don't really care too much if they make SOME things more accessible (like how to access covenants, or explaining what different items do better etc.)

I do, especially the way the context of it was presented in the interview. I love the fact that the Souls community was formed by the fact that we all contributed to figuring stuff out, piecing stuff together and finding out some obscure secret that you can share with the community so straight up telling stuff especially if it's mandatory is not only boring but annoying and takes away value. I recently got Kingdoms of Amalur and within the first few minutes I got a whole bunch of exposition that was just like that. I didn't care and wanted to get straight back to the gameplay. Is this what we're expected to see, the destruction of mystery because of the fear new players can't think for themselves. There are already plans to restrict what the player gets in the first part of the game so new players get a better understanding. Is that a hint that the selection of options that us Souls players have come accustomed to will be limited to a linear progression. How annoying would that be if we can't build our characters from the get go.
    carlucio
    carlucio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by carlucio Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Jesus, i could not find Dark souls on it and i can't controll myself, sometimes i think " Hey, that's gonna be a good game at least", but Demon's souls and Dark souls were so great that i just can't acept that waste of potential.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:01 pm

sciicers wrote:i dont like the new (co)director at all
    he looks like a total douchebag, i dont like fashion boys
    and that he wants dark souls to be even more action-orientated is concerning
    but i'm not really all too worried about it at this point
    miyazakis next project is definitely something to look at though, even if he wants it to be warmer, whatever that means
    Oh dear...
    dragonbeast6
    dragonbeast6
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dragonbeast6 Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Everything looks good except the "This is our hero" quote.
    Also....vehicles?? PLease god no
    Also Doesen`t the zombie thing with the spider on his
    back looks kind of like the "Wont die zombie" in Dead Space??
    https://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/kakashi282/Lets%2520Play/DeadSpace2010-06-2206-00-30-84.jpg

Best image i could find but if you played the game you`ll know what Im talking about
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:13 pm

steveswede wrote:There are already plans to restrict what the player gets in the first part of the game so new players get a better understanding. Is that a hint that the selection of options that us Souls players have come accustomed to will be limited to a linear progression. How annoying would that be if we can't build our characters from the get go.

Well, it depends on how they do it, really. If they start by only allowing us to simply pick our character's looks, and then, shortly thereafter, allow us to make bigger decisions (equipment, progression paths, etc.) once we understand the game better, then I don't see that as particularly negative.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Only one thing in Dark Souls really felt retarted for me the first time I played: if you attack the NPCs they are always aggroed (you can do absolution, but it's way too expensive and it's still hard to figure out during the first play). This is bulls*it because in Dark Souls certain characters had really important roles depending on the build you were doing and just simply attacking a wrong NPC your whole game could be ruined.
    Onion Knight
    Onion Knight
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Onion Knight Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Juutas wrote:Only one thing in Dark Souls really felt retarted for me the first time I played: if you attack the NPCs they are always aggroed (you can do absolution, but it's way too expensive and it's still hard to figure out during the first play). This is bulls*it because in Dark Souls certain characters had really important roles depending on the build you were doing and just simply attacking a wrong NPC your whole game could be ruined.
    In Demon's Souls there was no absolution.
    It should be free or cheaper (absolution) but they need to keep in that responsibility for your actions which has been removed from modern rpg's.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:35 pm

Onion Knight wrote:
    Juutas wrote:Only one thing in Dark Souls really felt retarted for me the first time I played: if you attack the NPCs they are always aggroed (you can do absolution, but it's way too expensive and it's still hard to figure out during the first play). This is bulls*it because in Dark Souls certain characters had really important roles depending on the build you were doing and just simply attacking a wrong NPC your whole game could be ruined.
    In Demon's Souls there was no absolution.
    It should be free or cheaper (absolution) but they need to keep in that responsibility for your actions which has been removed from modern rpg's.

Sure, but there is a difference between making a conscious choice to attack an NPC, and accidentally wacking the Blacksmith across the head with your mace because you accidentally pressed the wrong button while navigating through the menu. I can't tell you how many times that placing my PS3 controller on the floor caused the character to activate his L2 or R2 attack. The design of the controller makes it that easy.

There should have been two things done to fix this issue, and I hope they implement it this time. Both of these are quite common in modern games:
    1. When the player is navigating the game's menu, lock them out from being able to perform any other actions, such as swinging their weapon. All they should be able to do is run away or dodge, just in case someone or something tries to attack them while they are talking to an NPC.
    2. Have the NPC issue a warning to the player after being struck the first time (I swear, if you hit me again....). If the player continues hitting the NPC a second or third time, then the NPC should go into hostile mode. I still think that Absolution should exist though.

Having no absolution in Demon's Souls was stupid, and FROM realized that later.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Not trying to argue against your point, but the NPCs usually do take two or three hits before they rage.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:45 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:Not trying to argue against your point, but the NPCs usually do take two or three hits before they rage.

Ah, I see. The reason that I didn't know this was because I rarely attacked merchants or other NPCs (but I sure did kill Chester and Ciaran for their gear immediately!).
    dragonbeast6
    dragonbeast6
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dragonbeast6 Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Just had a thought...have anyone lese had the idea that the
    "this is our hero" quote could be referring to a knight that has gone before you??
    Sort of like what Sir Artorias was in the first game. Sort of like a backdrop in the story??
    He was always referred as a great hero that braved the abyss...
    Just a thought though.....
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:53 pm

dragonbeast6 wrote:Just had a thought...have anyone lese had the idea that the
    "this is our hero" quote could be referring to a knight that has gone before you??
    Sort of like what Sir Artorias was in the first game. Sort of like a backdrop in the story??

The reason that I can't see that being the case is because we now have the Edge interview which confirms it as a sequel. The hero would have to be someone that came after the one in Dark Souls.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:55 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:Not trying to argue against your point, but the NPCs usually do take two or three hits before they rage.

Wrong. If your attack is strong enough all it takes is once single hit, that's how I aggroed the pyromancer when I tried to free him from the barrel.
    Even if you would want to kill some NPC it's just limiting yourself unintentionally in the first play because you are cut of certain spells or items and it's just unfair for new player and doesn't really give anything positive to the game.
    dragonbeast6
    dragonbeast6
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dragonbeast6 Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 pm

MasterofShadows wrote:

The reason that I can't see that being the case is because we now have the Edge interview which confirms it as a sequel. The hero would have to be someone that came after the one in Dark Souls.

Yeas, but in the interview its also stated that we are no longer in Lodran so this could be a so far unknown hero in lodran, since the entirety of Dark souls was in Lodran.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:06 pm

dragonbeast6 wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:

Yeas, but in the interview its also stated that we are no longer in Lodran so this could be a so far unknown hero in lodran, since the entirety of Dark souls was in Lodran.

I'm just referring to your idea that it could be a hero that has "gone before us". Knowing that its a sequel makes it hard to imagine the hero as being someone that came before the hero in Dark Souls.
    Strigoi
    Strigoi

Post by Strigoi Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Juutas wrote:Only thing that bugs me is the "this is THE main hero"...nah, they couldn't be so stupid as to remove our freedom in character creation...could they?

I seriously don't hope so.
    dragonbeast6
    dragonbeast6
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dragonbeast6 Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:38 pm

MasterofShadows wrote:
    dragonbeast6 wrote:
    MasterofShadows wrote:

I'm just referring to your idea that it could be a hero that has "gone before us". Knowing that its a sequel makes it hard to imagine the hero as being someone that came before the hero in Dark Souls.

Well In Lodran he would be unknown however in the lands that Dark souls 2 are going to be he may be more well known or one of many. Also the Girl that everybodys says is velka which i dont buy could be a new sheppard kind of like the blind girl in Demon souls.

Many has gone before you...small and great but none have returned. The intro in demons souls also referred to many "Hero`s" that had gone before you and they were just npc`s that you met in the game.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:44 pm

"According to Shibuya, the players ability to parse the meaning behind subtle hints or clues in the game's environment will determine the difficulty of the game and the challenges that are available for them to experience"

Sounds like Dark Souls to me.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Why do people see the word "hero" and automatically assume that they will remove character creation? It's just a title like chosen undead or whatever was used in Demon's Souls. Also it's important to remember that just because someone is a "hero" it doesn't automatically mean that they're "good" as far as morality goes, Greek heroes seldom were.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 pm