Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+33
Conrack
Madara
Mr. Tart
sinspaw
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Nessima017
Dogwelder
Argetlam350
OmarTheFuzzy
bosslugger
ComaPrison
raecor14
Serious_Much
mr_no_face
ViralEnsign_
Reaperfan
Sloth9230
Strigoi
MasterofShadows
dragonbeast6
Onion Knight
carlucio
steveswede
EpicNameBro
Acarnatia
BIG TIME MASTER
sciicers
The Letter X
Infighter
Juutas
XachAttack
tofucactaur
NDenizen
37 posters

New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article) - Page 8 Empty Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

Post by Emergence Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:21 am

ComaPrison wrote:
    Emergence wrote:Coma, a forum is a place for individuals to engage in the free exchange of ideas without being insulted, demeaned or looked down on. You have a distinct viewpoint, and you have points to support your viewpoint. However, using unprovoked labels like "fools" and it's derivatives is unwarranted and unwelcome. You are not advancing the discourse with these terms, only putting people on the defensive, and nothing productive will come from that.

That depends on the person's goals. Mine is simply to get more people to become more concerned and more vocal about the possibility of the series being taken in a bad direction. It's why the lobbying industry exists. No one is going to protect your interests if you're not willing to speak up for them yourself (or pay someone else to do it for you).

You can do that without calling people fools.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article) - Page 8 Empty Re: New Concept Art + Interview (EDGE article)

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:23 am

Emergence wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote:
    Emergence wrote:Coma, a forum is a place for individuals to engage in the free exchange of ideas without being insulted, demeaned or looked down on. You have a distinct viewpoint, and you have points to support your viewpoint. However, using unprovoked labels like "fools" and it's derivatives is unwarranted and unwelcome. You are not advancing the discourse with these terms, only putting people on the defensive, and nothing productive will come from that.

That depends on the person's goals. Mine is simply to get more people to become more concerned and more vocal about the possibility of the series being taken in a bad direction. It's why the lobbying industry exists. No one is going to protect your interests if you're not willing to speak up for them yourself (or pay someone else to do it for you).

You can do that without calling people fools.

Indeed. I will take your advice into consideration. Consider it a momentary lapse of judgment due to inflamed passions.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:26 am

carlucio wrote:Was there in history a company that decided to not the kick the *** of their fans when they had the oppotunity? even Nintendo did that, Wii was the worst **** ever!! my source of skeptcism come from the fact that i've have seen this happening over and over, a lot of times in my life as a gamer.

Agreed! I've seen one too many things I love become corrupted by the profit motive. As a company, if you can betray your original fans in order to gain a fan-base that is 2, 3, or 4+ times larger, you'll do it in a split second. I've seen it done in games, movies, and music way too many times to count. A lifetime of watching the corrupting effects of the profit motive has simply given me a cynical disposition.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:30 am

Thanks Emergence....I now feel bad about having messaged Riem when the whole issue is over.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:38 am

Sorry Viral. Didn't intend to add to it. I'll chill
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:40 am

Anyways, what worries me about the art (well, not really a worry...), is that I'm hoping they don't go the way of Demon's Souls in the sense of being extremely disturbing. I like the balance that Dark Souls has between dark and light. Demon's Souls is just a very dark and disturbing game. I had to put down the controller just to come up for air sometimes, to be honest.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:46 am

An Executioner.
    Interesting...
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:46 am

MasterofShadows wrote:Sorry Viral. Didn't intend to add to it. I'll chill

Hey Im not mod or anything like that. I just hate to see guys go at it when we can just chill and have a bit of fun chatting about a great game.

However Master I would disagree with you on the art style. I would like to see a return to DeS. Disturbing and Dark is what I want to see. To fight the worst and most evil creations the minds of From can create me!

Though DKS has a nice art style now that I trawl through the art book.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:47 am

MasterofShadows wrote:Anyways, what worries me about the art (well, not really a worry...), is that I'm hoping they don't go the way of Demon's Souls in the sense of being extremely disturbing. I like the balance that Dark Souls has between dark and light. Demon's Souls is just a very dark and disturbing game. I had to put down the controller just to come up for air sometimes, to be honest.

In that case, it's a shame Demon's Souls doesn't have a PC port (so I can try it). I thought Dark Souls could've used a bit more disturbing darkness.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:48 am

ViralEnsign_ wrote:

Hey Im not mod or anything like that. I just hate to see guys go at it when we can just chill and have a bit of fun chatting about a great game.

However Master I would disagree with you on the art style. I would like to see a return to DeS. Disturbing and Dark is what I want to see. To fight the worst and most evil creations the minds of From can create me!

lol! To think we actually agree on some things.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:52 am

ViralEnsign_ wrote:

Well, let me clarify. I'm all for getting down and dirty. I just like it that Dark Souls let you come up for air every once in a while, like the scenes of the sun, or the beauty of Anor Londo. Or comeon, I'm sure all of us felt the glory in this one: the ringing of the bell on top of Undead Parish. The game had its dark moments, and frightening and disturbing creatures. I don't mind if it gets even more dark and disturbing. I just liked the balance that Dark Souls had, is all.
    Acarnatia
    Acarnatia
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Acarnatia Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:52 am

And, honestly, I really liked that disturbing side more in Demon's Souls than in Dark. I'm not hoping for horror, though-Demon's was DARK and twisted, not horror. I wasn't meant to run away from the enemies, screaming; I was meant to lose and lose and finally win-and the things I learned during and after it all left wondering if me even actually did the right thing, or if the very demon's I slew deserved to die. Astraea, a living saint turned demon, actually improved the conditions of the Valley of Defilement, and there were unborted fetuses crawling around in disease-ridden blood in there. While I hope that not the entire game is that way, I pray that that part of the series passes on into Dark Souls 2.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:55 am

Acarnatia wrote:And, honestly, I really liked that disturbing side more in Demon's Souls than in Dark. I'm not hoping for horror, though-Demon's was DARK and twisted, not horror. I wasn't meant to run away from the enemies, screaming; I was meant to lose and lose and finally win-and the things I learned during and after it all left wondering if me even actually did the right thing, or if the very demon's I slew deserved to die. Astraea, a living saint turned demon, actually improved the conditions of the Valley of Defilement, and there were unborted fetuses crawling around in disease-ridden blood in there. While I hope that not the entire game is that way, I pray that that part of the series passes on into Dark Souls 2.

Well, that's what I'm wanting. I don't mind having moments like that. I just felt like Demon's Souls was a continual journey downward. Dark Souls would throw me into the mud, kick me in the face, scare the hell out of me, disturb me, but once I conquered that particular challenge, it would show me the sun, and give me the idea that there just might be hope at the end of this road. It was small, but it was pretty cool at the same time.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:02 am

ComaPrison wrote:
    ViralEnsign_ wrote:

AHAHAHAHAhA what the heck?!
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:18 am

ViralEnsign_ wrote:
    ComaPrison wrote:
    ViralEnsign_ wrote:

AHAHAHAHAhA what the heck?!

Yeah. I know right? Soul mates 4 lyfe.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:19 am

Sorry Jester and I are new soul mates. He hates mages as much as I do....

speaking of which i hope they take mage armour in a different direction this time. I hated the sorceror gear in DKS. None of it looked all that great appart from the Moonlight Set.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:24 am

ViralEnsign_ wrote:Sorry Jester and I are new soul mates. He hates mages as much as I do....

speaking of which i hope they take mage armour in a different direction this time. I hated the sorceror gear in DKS. None of it looked all that great appart from the Moonlight Set.

Here's an interesting mechanic to consider throwing in. Heavier armor increases how long it takes for you to cast something. Also light armor has too much defense. A defense vs weight graph for armor should increases more or less linearly when it comes to armors that derive their defensive abilities from the substance that they are made out of. The exception to that rule could be armors that have special enchantments or are made from unrealistic fantasy materials like dragon scales, etc., which can have a defense that is disproportionately high relative to its weight.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:18 am

I personally preferred much of the demons atmosphere, but each have their own strengths. Tower of latria is the best atmosphere to me, while izalith and tomb of giants jointly takes the cake in dark for me, but you gotta mix level styles up, and places like anor Londo and trap holes like sens fortress do that ever so well to keep the imagination and immersion running riot..

I'm up for down, dirty, freaky, creepy and the utterly horrifying and morbose, but at the same time without the juxtaposition of the grandeur of places like anor Londo, or the palace of boletaria and relative safety of fire link or the nexus, the effect is lost.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 am

Serious_Much wrote:I personally preferred much of the demons atmosphere, but each have their own strengths. Tower of latria is the best atmosphere to me, while izalith and tomb of giants jointly takes the cake in dark for me, but you gotta mix level styles up, and places like anor Londo and trap holes like sens fortress do that ever so well to keep the imagination and immersion running riot..

I'm up for down, dirty, freaky, creepy and the utterly horrifying and morbose, but at the same time without the juxtaposition of the grandeur of places like anor Londo, or the palace of boletaria and relative safety of fire link or the nexus, the effect is lost.

Speaking of atmosphere. Here's an idea for a level. One where all the walls, ground, ceiling, furniture, etc. are all made entirely out of flesh. It brings this to mind http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WombLevel
    Nessima017
    Nessima017
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nessima017 Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:41 am

ComaPrison wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:I personally preferred much of the demons atmosphere, but each have their own strengths. Tower of latria is the best atmosphere to me, while izalith and tomb of giants jointly takes the cake in dark for me, but you gotta mix level styles up, and places like anor Londo and trap holes like sens fortress do that ever so well to keep the imagination and immersion running riot..

Speaking of atmosphere. Here's an idea for a level. One where all the walls, ground, ceiling, furniture, etc. are all made entirely out of flesh. It brings this to mind [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WombLevel
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WombLevel[/quote[/url]] I am a fan of zones that shouldnt be possible at all. I would also like to see a zone with floating platforms and gravity related things it could be the ruins of a castle or something.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:13 am

I really liked how near the end of Tomb of Giants, you could see Ash Lake. In first bonfire of Tomb of Giants, you could see Demon Ruins (or was it Lost Izalith?). Stuff like that was a beautiful touch. I hope they keep doing stuff like that. One area of their world that spurred my imagination and made me wonder was Ash Lake. More specifically, what's in the lake? The fact that it was all blacked out by ash just made me even more curious. And the fact that you couldn't even see a few feet under the water always gave me a feeling of dread that you have no idea what kind of large, unimaginable, and freaky creatures could live in there. Even more, what's at the very bottom of the lake? And what's below the bottom of the lake? Etc. Delving into undiscovered territory can really give them the opportunity to get creative. It's already creative enough that there's a lake underneath demonic lava ruins etc. They could break from the Yggdrasil-inspired world and make an area under Ash Lake that is completely unexpected. Maybe a vast desert landscape? A Sahara/Gobi desert kind of area. Just something you would not expect underneath a vast body of water. You know how in the real world, it's the things that live near/at the very bottom/deepest parts of the ocean that are the weirdest, creepiest, and scariest? That same trend makes me wonder, if we already see Hydras on the surface of Ash Lake..then damn...what's below the surface must be amazing. Another trend that I'd love to see replicated is how, just like in the real world, the deadliest scariest land creatures can't compare to the deadliest scariest deep ocean creatures. So if the Everlasting Dragons were so impressive, I want to see them get creative with what's under the lake.

I don't want them to just churn out a generic fantasy where the most impressive creature you'll see and fight is a dragon. If they want inspiration, the old ones from H.P. Lovecraft's work would be a great place to start looking.

Last edited by ComaPrison on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:17 am

Nessima017 wrote:] I am a fan of zones that shouldnt be possible at all. I would also like to see a zone with floating platforms and gravity related things it could be the ruins of a castle or something.

I think you should play demons souls then, the 2nd level in the tower of latria is pretty much that, a level of floating platforms in a twilight zone-esque world suspended above a giant swamp filled with freaky creatures. My favourite souls level by far.
    Nessima017
    Nessima017
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Nessima017 Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:50 am

Serious_Much wrote:
    Nessima017 wrote:] I am a fan of zones that shouldnt be possible at all. I would also like to see a zone with floating platforms and gravity related things it could be the ruins of a castle or something.

I think you should play demons souls then, the 2nd level in the tower of latria is pretty much that, a level of floating platforms in a twilight zone-esque world suspended above a giant swamp filled with freaky creatures. My favourite souls level by far.
    I have, that entire zone is amazing.
    mr_no_face
    mr_no_face
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by mr_no_face Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:11 pm

I enjoy the areas they are all beautiful but the mapping... think about it if you had a birds eye view how would it all come together ? you're walking through the blighted swamps and you go down a tree forever and you find a lake . that's magic i like it but what if portion of the swamp wasn't blocked off and you could walk around the great hallow? would there be swamp over it? is it a world under a world ? and how far away is the demon ruins from ash lake if you see both of those areas from the catacombs?? which is a little distant from blight town its so confusing lol it makes my head hurt but its all greatly made areas just geographically impossible lol
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:35 pm

mr_no_face wrote:I enjoy the areas they are all beautiful but the mapping... think about it if you had a birds eye view how would it all come together ? you're walking through the blighted swamps and you go down a tree forever and you find a lake . that's magic i like it but what if portion of the swamp wasn't blocked off and you could walk around the great hallow? would there be swamp over it? is it a world under a world ? and how far away is the demon ruins from ash lake if you see both of those areas from the catacombs?? which is a little distant from blight town its so confusing lol it makes my head hurt but its all greatly made areas just geographically impossible lol

The fact that it's geographically impossible is part of what gives it that wonderfully mysterious charm. If the geography was only based on what was realistically possible, then that would be boring.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm