Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+118
Aigaios
Say Xbox Again
dalsio
Back Lot Basher
MikailArksot
SageOfToads123
Undiscovery
GaryBlevins
ChizFreak
Ghadis_God
Bassman Bob
PierreSBK71
retro
Marino.
TheMeInTeam
Mental Gear
Uparkaam
Latitoast
ScottyDoesKnow
Green__Eagle
StiffNipples
befowler
Jansports
TheGreatGrapsy
cerealaire
Wilkinson3424
chantienyee
Animaaal
Derpwraith
Hugh_G_Johnson
Soul of Stray Demon
Exequim
Emergence
Jester's Tears
Muker
Sentiel
Exclusive
IV_Mark_VI
wretchedsausage
sids__09
jimmyc0341
MosquitoPower
nopseudoidea
Laveidem
Ostrava34
Slarg232
drdrack
Raijinilli
SirArchmage
Dr__Awkward
DxTopham
Silver Knight
Akuro
DyingAce
Zyrrashijn
Raikan007
tonberryking01
bradthegas
SirPatrick
Hart
nines rodriguez
Tolvo
Argetlam350
LagStab
WaffleGuy
BrandBrandBrand
FinPeku
Kyuseishu
Walter_White
Gollumseverywhere
Mishrak
HereticForLife
Ichikuro
Ghoul
Werdax
PhlyingDutchman
TheDarkPygmy
RralIX
Demon Slayer
Marionx
DemonRider909
Encore
HazelrahFiver
KrazykevS10
Domhnall of Zena
The_Red_Drifter
VaDoom
GenericUsername
ublug
Seignar
DaemonNacht
Tchuwib
XuitusTheGreat
CaramelSouls
WandererReece
AnCapaillMor
A Fierce Plankton
Elifia
General Bale
Ezlare
Anonymous Proxy
Odinbear
Ashran
ResIsBestStat
XachAttack
Hue
Dibsville
ExplodingPenguin
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
hey its andres
Quarik
Djem
iiProdigyv
reim0027
Soris Ice Goldwing
Dusk Soul
User1
CarverUpqik
122 posters

Discoveries you only made recently.

MosquitoPower
    MosquitoPower
    Addicted
    Addicted

Discoveries you only made recently. - Page 30 Empty Re: Discoveries you only made recently.

Post by MosquitoPower Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:51 am

Right at the start of the game, in the asylum.

I had not realized that the other jail cells had little scenes with other hollows in various states of unhappiness.

Looks like the chosen undead had the one with the most light Praise the Sun
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Discoveries you only made recently. - Page 30 Empty Re: Discoveries you only made recently.

Post by retro Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:12 am

Demon Slayer wrote:You can lets say 'shoot" the fire ball that the roof giant trows at you with force

Example is at the end of the vid
    \

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsjO4C2Nxc
    How cool is that? I had no idea.

It seemed to be relatively unknown, I'm not really seeing anyone on youtube or reddit saying "I already knew that" in response to the video.
    Akuro
    Akuro

Post by Akuro Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:54 pm

The wooden elevator in Blighttown, if you want to call it an elevator, is run by a dog. A dog.

In all my hours of playing DaS, how have I not noticed this.

Spoiler:
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Akuro wrote:The wooden elevator in Blighttown, if you want to call it an elevator, is run by a dog. A dog.

Spoiler:
    Better yet, there's a dog that floats in midair on one of the elevators.
    Akuro
    Akuro

Post by Akuro Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Dibsville wrote:
    Akuro wrote:The wooden elevator in Blighttown, if you want to call it an elevator, is run by a dog. A dog.

Spoiler:
    Better yet, there's a dog that floats in midair on one of the elevators.

...What the hell man. I need to pay attention more.Shrug
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:16 pm

retro wrote:
    Demon Slayer wrote:You can lets say 'shoot" the fire ball that the roof giant trows at you with force

Example is at the end of the vid
    \

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsjO4C2Nxc
    How cool is that? I had no idea.

It seemed to be relatively unknown, I'm not really seeing anyone on youtube or reddit saying "I already knew that" in response to the video.

I know man, so awesome.  That video was done so well too. thumbs up

***edit***

AW MAN!!!crying THEY BLOCKED IT. I remember reading in the remarks that someone else claimed ownership. I guess they were serious. Shrug 
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:02 pm

There are two wheels that are connected with a member, the Dog drives the right wheel, which connects to the left wheel which powers the elevator. Sometimes the right wheel doesn't render (common for me at least) and you can see the Dog just strutting it in mid air.

I'll get a screenshot of it next time I see it.
    jimmyc0341
    jimmyc0341
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by jimmyc0341 Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:10 pm

Dibsville wrote:
    drdrack wrote:Anyway, apparently you can get a fire weapon without killing a single necro
    I do this on every new playthrough. Sometimes I kill the Necro just before Vamos, but that's only on a rare occasion. Pinwheel is always my first boss.

You get used to the Catacombs when you've played the game for over 8500 hours and have never run through it.
    (Even on my very first playthrough, I fat rolled my way to Pinwheel without killing a single Skeleton)

I started to do this on my 2nd playthrough because i wanted the Great Scythe and enchant it to fire for a decent starting weapon
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 pm

jimmyc0341 wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:
    drdrack wrote:Anyway, apparently you can get a fire weapon without killing a single necro
    I do this on every new playthrough. Sometimes I kill the Necro just before Vamos, but that's only on a rare occasion. Pinwheel is always my first boss.

You get used to the Catacombs when you've played the game for over 8500 hours and have never run through it.
    (Even on my very first playthrough, I fat rolled my way to Pinwheel without killing a single Skeleton)

I started to do this on my 2nd playthrough because i wanted the Great Scythe and enchant it to fire for a decent starting weapon
    It's great to do this.
    I usually just stick with my starter weapon, mostly because I hate the Great Scythe and the Lucerne, which are the only weapons you can pick up down there.
    drdrack
    Regular
    Regular

Post by drdrack Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:59 am

U hate the great scythe, u sick sick twistedevil

Anyway, I probably made more discovery this playthough then my last few, so i have quite a few thing to share.

Frist of all, apparently claymore power attack goes though the theives bandit knife parry

Secondly, apprently lightning is a major weakness for the gargoyles. Because when i enchanted my claymore +5 with gold resin, I manage to wipe out his health in half with just 4-5 hits

Thirdly, don't be a idiot and die when you have 15k souls in the bottom of the catacomb

Fourth, i think pinwheel is one of the harder bosses now, the clones are unpredictable and can't be ignored. For some of the more predictable bosses it's all about attrition, but for pinwhell imo far more luck is involved.  

For part two, yes this has two parts, i will talk more about the leveling system

Look forward to it

if you don't that's too bad thumbs up
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:38 am

Dibsville wrote:...I hate the Great Scythe...

I decided to try it after stumbling across a certain youtube video.  The hightlight of the experiment was stun-locking a guy to death with R1 spam just because that's about the last weapon you'd expect to do that with. big grin   It's ok, but I only use it to farm rats occasionally PvE(it one-shots the clusters of 3 and 5 rats easily, but otherwise is awkward).   Also, inb4 the title of the video is referenced in relation to the great scythe to question your hatred of the great scythe. silly 

drdrack wrote:...apparently claymore power attack goes though the theives bandit knife parry...

That's only because he's too far away to catch a clean parry.  It's the same with any thrust attack.  That's part of the reason there's so much spear hate in pvp.  A spear user can spam (or at least spam poke & roll or poke-poke-roll) without ever being in any danger of getting parried if he does it right (it's not hard).  If you do a thrust attack close to an NPC in a parry stance you will get parried.  And in pvp, if you can get parried if you're opponent gets close enough.  

Last edited by Hugh_G_Johnson on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:39 am

I'm not saying the Great Scythe is bad, it's a great weapon and all, I just hate it.

I can not stand to use the Great Scythe or Lifehunt, they're garbage to me.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:56 am

Dibsville wrote:it's a great weapon and all, I just hate it.

New sig quote?

Dibsville wrote:I can not stand to use the Great Scythe or Lifehunt, they're garbage to me.

No argument.  I can understand the dead-angling due to the shape of the weapon and the swing.  But the critical animations are a joke.  They at least should change the animations, if the criticals are done the same way as other weapons at all.  The worst part is that you take the same damage and bleed build-up from getting hit by the slow-moving, light, rounded handle as you do from the fast-moving, heavy, sharp blade.
    sids__09
    Casual
    Casual

Post by sids__09 Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:43 am

I'm forcing my way in the 'backdoor' of fist weapons here lately, trying to arm Gough in a reasonably-believable manner. So I've learned a couple things:

1. Dragonbone Fist Parry -- works sometimes. It consumes a **TON** of stamina if it doesn't work. Like, ALL your stamina, or damn near. Breaks the whole idea of a riposte.

2. Fist reposts are freakin' *amazing*. Animation wise. I pull it off against the mooks for now, but I'm longing for that day when I get to knock a quart of blood off an invader's teeth. That' like.... that's gotta register on an emotional level. 

3. Left-hand jabs catch enemies off-guard and staggers them ever so briefly. You can use this to engage four bloatheads at once. Jab-SPIN-jab-punch-punch-SPIN-jab-SPIN-punchpunch etc. Some serious Liu Kang business

4. Claws. Where have Claws been my whole life? I've seen plenty of dex-bleed-katana builds, but Freakin' WOLVERINE CLAWS. Nobody uses 'em!? It's criminal. So after I get done screwing around with the knights of Gwyn, I'm creating WOLVERINE, the immortal. Weapons: Claw in each hand. Talisman to cast Regeneration, I think the Royal Helm you get from Vamos might sorta convey the hairstyle. Maybe a Xanthous chestpiece? Idunno. I'll play with it some, see what I can get.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:18 am

Just discovered that the hollows that are just " hanging out" , below Firelink Shrine( on the way to New Londo Ruins) are great for learning how to BACKSTAB and parry /riposte.  Just get out your fist and a shield.  They basically deal very little damage and your fist will allow you many tries.
    chantienyee
    chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:04 pm

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:There's another ledge off the first ledge on the way to the Dragon Slayer Bow location in Anor Londo.  And if someone's hiding there with a fog ring they can be extremely difficult to see because the facade totally blocks the view to it unless you turn your camera around.  However, if... say, for instance an invader stopped to peer around the corner so he didn't get wogged off and when he didn't see anyone pause for a second because he was sure you were hiding up there... he might notice you.  That invader may also decide to use an Obsidian greatsword R2 to knock you the edge and then kill you with a plunging attack -- so if you decide to hide there, keep that in mind.  And if he were on a certain Dark Souls forum; he would definitely post his discovery using blue font. :razz: 

The first time I ever got that bow, I didn't know how to get it the typical way. I saw a message on the archway over the shortcut door and assumed that I had to roll there to get it. I eventually managed the roll getting it the first time.
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Dibs has da best icon.

Did you guys know about the claw's sonic boom?
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:35 pm

sids__09 wrote:I'm forcing my way in the 'backdoor' of fist weapons here lately, trying to arm Gough in a reasonably-believable manner. So I've learned a couple things:

1. Dragonbone Fist Parry -- works sometimes. It consumes a **TON** of stamina if it doesn't work. Like, ALL your stamina, or damn near. Breaks the whole idea of a riposte.

2. Fist reposts are freakin' *amazing*. Animation wise. I pull it off against the mooks for now, but I'm longing for that day when I get to knock a quart of blood off an invader's teeth. That' like.... that's gotta register on an emotional level. 

3. Left-hand jabs catch enemies off-guard and staggers them ever so briefly. You can use this to engage four bloatheads at once. Jab-SPIN-jab-punch-punch-SPIN-jab-SPIN-punchpunch etc. Some serious Liu Kang business

4. Claws. Where have Claws been my whole life? I've seen plenty of dex-bleed-katana builds, but Freakin' WOLVERINE CLAWS. Nobody uses 'em!? It's criminal. So after I get done screwing around with the knights of Gwyn, I'm creating WOLVERINE, the immortal. Weapons: Claw in each hand. Talisman to cast Regeneration, I think the Royal Helm you get from Vamos might sorta convey the hairstyle. Maybe a Xanthous chestpiece? Idunno. I'll play with it some, see what I can get.

If you haven't already, make sure to read the wiki entry on claws, you get a damage bonus for them with thorn gauntlets, and some other stuff.  I have a 45 dex claw build, it is extremely fun.  You can actually backroll out of an overhead greatsword slam, then R1 roll stab right back into their recovery for counter damage and the most important thing:  style points.

Also, don't forget dragonform unarmed attacks, which do really nice damage.  A roar buffed unarmed riposte with a HR on can do awful things to people.
    Exequim
    Exequim
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Exequim Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:58 pm

I had thought that when you logged off that Gravelord spawns simply disappear, that isn't the case.

Black Phantoms exist in my game and they have for about 5 days now. I'm pretty much in Black World Tendency for Dark Souls. This is a hellish experience. I enjoy it, but kind of irritated now.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:35 pm

I think if you went back online you would find the Gravelord has been defeated or left the game or area and your black phantoms will disappear.

I can't imagine a Gravelord with the patience to stay online and active for 5 days.
    Exequim
    Exequim
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Exequim Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:18 pm

Green__Eagle wrote:I think if you went back online you would find the Gravelord has been defeated or left the game or area and your black phantoms will disappear.

I can't imagine a Gravelord with the patience to stay online and active for 5 days.

I am online. it is weird... There is Black Phantoms in every area thus far.
    drdrack
    Regular
    Regular

Post by drdrack Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:27 pm

Green__Eagle wrote:I think if you went back online you would find the Gravelord has been defeated or left the game or area and your black phantoms will disappear.

he could just afk?

Anyway, part 2...

Leveling increase your defense (because every stat you put in increases your defense), that much is well known most here. (not for me, so i am typing this) However, what could be unknown is, or at least i am suggesting is that critical hits (all kinds, though parry probably has a higher chance of begin this) ignores defense. Because while it's true that my bs does far less against a crystal undead then a undead in burg. But the difference between bs and non bs damage made me think this is true

Which could also means that focus on bs-ing with a suitable weaponcould be a easierway to take out higher level enemies (player's too)

Sure either this is pretty well known though, or it's a bunch of hog wash that's been dis proven. But hey, i spend couples of hour see this out, might as well post this. In a slight hope in explaining why bs and parrying is so op, and why no one put points in resist.
    chantienyee
    chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:29 am

Someone else said something about the alarm in the archives sounding even beyond that one area. I just ran through for the first time without dying or saving at that first bonfire. I also forgot to shut off the gramophone for the first time. When you die in that first area the gramophone automatically shuts off, but if you've made it to the second bonfire before dying, it doesn't auto shut off at all. Even after defeating Seath it's still going. You only really stop hearing it once you go down the stairs after the mimic.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:39 pm

You can have gravelord BPs in your world even if the gravelord is long since gone.  From my experience, it can happen if you are logged out when the gravelord is actually defeated/quits, or if you move on to other areas.  I believe one of our gravelording experts tested and discovered that there is a 10 minute timer on being "permanently" gravelorded.  The timer restarts if you die, rest at a bonfire, quit/reload, or otherwise reset the area.  So if you keep doing any of those things, you give yourself the illusion of being permanently gravelorded even if the original gravelord was long since defeated, because the 10 minutes never fully runs out.  So if you have been gravelorded for days, just idle in one spot for roughly 10 minutes and it should disappear.  Alternately, if you enjoy being gravelorded, make sure to reset/respawn your timer accordingly to keep the BPs around.
    Exequim
    Exequim
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Exequim Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Edit: Going to try the above.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:40 pm