Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+118
Aigaios
Say Xbox Again
dalsio
Back Lot Basher
MikailArksot
SageOfToads123
Undiscovery
GaryBlevins
ChizFreak
Ghadis_God
Bassman Bob
PierreSBK71
retro
Marino.
TheMeInTeam
Mental Gear
Uparkaam
Latitoast
ScottyDoesKnow
Green__Eagle
StiffNipples
befowler
Jansports
TheGreatGrapsy
cerealaire
Wilkinson3424
chantienyee
Animaaal
Derpwraith
Hugh_G_Johnson
Soul of Stray Demon
Exequim
Emergence
Jester's Tears
Muker
Sentiel
Exclusive
IV_Mark_VI
wretchedsausage
sids__09
jimmyc0341
MosquitoPower
nopseudoidea
Laveidem
Ostrava34
Slarg232
drdrack
Raijinilli
SirArchmage
Dr__Awkward
DxTopham
Silver Knight
Akuro
DyingAce
Zyrrashijn
Raikan007
tonberryking01
bradthegas
SirPatrick
Hart
nines rodriguez
Tolvo
Argetlam350
LagStab
WaffleGuy
BrandBrandBrand
FinPeku
Kyuseishu
Walter_White
Gollumseverywhere
Mishrak
HereticForLife
Ichikuro
Ghoul
Werdax
PhlyingDutchman
TheDarkPygmy
RralIX
Demon Slayer
Marionx
DemonRider909
Encore
HazelrahFiver
KrazykevS10
Domhnall of Zena
The_Red_Drifter
VaDoom
GenericUsername
ublug
Seignar
DaemonNacht
Tchuwib
XuitusTheGreat
CaramelSouls
WandererReece
AnCapaillMor
A Fierce Plankton
Elifia
General Bale
Ezlare
Anonymous Proxy
Odinbear
Ashran
ResIsBestStat
XachAttack
Hue
Dibsville
ExplodingPenguin
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
hey its andres
Quarik
Djem
iiProdigyv
reim0027
Soris Ice Goldwing
Dusk Soul
User1
CarverUpqik
122 posters

Discoveries you only made recently.

Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Discoveries you only made recently. - Page 31 Empty Re: Discoveries you only made recently.

Post by Argetlam350 Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Well VaatiVidya had a new video with ten more things that you didn't know about Dark Souls but for some reason he removed it but I do remember two things I had no clue about.
    You can kill Kalameet without Gough's help which triggers some special dialogue from him.
    The statues in the Catacombs have faces which allows you to tell which statues have spikes that can harm you. Apparently the statues that have the Mask of the Mother face with have the spikes that come out of them. While the others have Mask of the Father.

Two things I had no real clue about.
    chantienyee
    chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Discoveries you only made recently. - Page 31 Empty Re: Discoveries you only made recently.

Post by chantienyee Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:36 pm

The main one that I learned from that video was the ramp path in front of the Undead Dragon in the Valley of Drakes. I noticed a few of his finds were kind of repeats from this video, except that Ribosome actually showed killing Kalameet instead of just saying that you can:
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Cool video, I did not realize that miracle resonance rings stack like that.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Argetlam350 wrote:Well VaatiVidya had a new video with ten more things that you didn't know about Dark Souls but for some reason he removed it but I do remember two things I had no clue about.
    You can kill Kalameet without Gough's help which triggers some special dialogue from him.
    The statues in the Catacombs have faces which allows you to tell which statues have spikes that can harm you. Apparently the statues that have the Mask of the Mother face with have the spikes that come out of them. While the others have Mask of the Father.

Two things I had no real clue about.

This one?  The Force + Sen's giant firebombs thing is absolutely hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xufrgtAC8o&feature=player_detailpage&list=PLWLedd0Zw3c6xdi9Ta25qqVO5-MqmHdVv#t=197s
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:57 am

Okay guys, here's a faith challenge. Use force to bounce the fireballs back to the giant and kill him with his own ammo. Don't forget to record it for massive kudos.
    ResIsBestStat
    ResIsBestStat
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by ResIsBestStat Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:26 am

I discovered Iron Flesh doesn't really decrease a lot of lightning resistance....

Proof here.
    p.s iron flesh is viable yolo
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:23 pm

In Sen's Fortress where you direct the ball to go down various avenues: If you step to the ledge where the ball falls into empty space, you'll see the Cage Key and are able to snipe the guy protecting the key.

Don't rest at the bonfire if you don't want to fight him fairly.
    Muker
    Muker
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Muker Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:12 am

I was always wondering, what will happen if you use Force on the Snake man, that holds the key to your cell in duke's. Will it push him away or kill him?

Finally I remembered  to check this, just to find out it does nothing.
    chantienyee
    chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:23 am

You can punch that guy with just your hand and he'll die in one hit  big grin
    Hue
    Hue
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Hue Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:01 am

chantienyee wrote:You can punch that guy with just your hand and he'll die in one hit  big grin

Force does less damange than a pungh (i.e. 0)

I thought breaking his poise would make him wake up, but stand in place
    Marionx
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

Post by Marionx Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:02 pm

I don't know if these have been mentioned before, but I had found out some things while playing the game today:

1. Those infested ghouls in Blighttown can drop consumable humanity. I've played this game since it came out and I had never seen these enemies drop this until today. Probably a really rare drop.

2. If you stand behind those Cragspiders, or attack them from behind, they will literally take a flaming dump on you! I saw this in a YouTube video and wanted to try it out myself.

3. If you warp to the painted world via a bonfire, you can actually leave by homeward bone or the miracle homeward. However, if you go to the painted word, through the painting, the only way out is the exit in Priscilla's boss room. I think the developer put that there in case you warp there by accident.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:08 pm

If you reach Rhea in Tomb of the Giants and stand in front of her while you are invisible (fog ring or hidden body spell), her face darkens enough so you can see it and she blinks. A series of five fast blinks, pause, repeat.

Amazing detail for something you would normally not be in a position to notice.

I noticed another NPC that blinked and they had the same pattern of 5, pause, 5. I don't remember who it was, probably all of them.
    Marionx
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

Post by Marionx Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Green__Eagle wrote:If you reach Rhea in Tomb of the Giants and stand in front of her while you are invisible (fog ring or hidden body spell), her face darkens enough so you can see it and she blinks. A series of five fast blinks, pause, repeat.

Amazing detail for something you would normally not be in a position to notice.

I noticed another NPC that blinked and they had the same pattern of 5, pause, 5. I don't remember who it was, probably all of them.

Actually, the character you create does that too. biggrin
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:11 pm

I did some testing and found that Gravelord Black Phantoms have exactly double HP of their regular mob versions.

This should come as a surprise to no one, since that was basically already understood, but I had gotten the impression it might've been a little less and wanted to check. So I dung pie'd/ toxic mist'd enemies to see their exact HP and found that it gets doubled perfectly (corresponding to the expected HP of the NG cycle you're in).

I also checked to see if Gravelord rank affects BP's HP, but it does not.
    cheers
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I noticed something that isn't in the wiki.

My current character is a cleric and I use the Great Lightning Spear and Sunlight Spear as part of my ranged attacks. These numbers were based on the Lightning Gargoyle's Halberd+5 and GLS.

These figures are for the Lord Artoria's fight. The LGH+5 dealt 110 damage to him. Before he buffs, the GLS dealt 216 damage to him. After he buffs, the GLS dealt 432 damage to him.

So while his power increases after a buff, the damage he takes increases after he buffs, too. Double the damage. I wear the Crown of Dusk, too.

Lord Artorias never lasted long enough to buff twice so I haven't had a chance to see how much the damage increases after subsequent buffs. I don't think a random host would be interested in testing this. :-) It's hard enough to find a host that allows L.A. to buff.
    chantienyee
    chantienyee
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by chantienyee Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:38 am

The channeler's trident can swipe right through an entire bookshelf  D:
    And with light armour in NG+6, that's a one-shot kill...
    Exclusive
    Exclusive
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Exclusive Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:43 pm

I recently discovered in the room you fight the Stray Demon that there is a fog wall in the same room, once you win the fight the fog wall disappears and there is a ladder. When you go up the ladder it leads into the hallway your cell is in.
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:29 pm

After a little bit more testing, I think the distinction between sin types is that "PvP sin" (sin through indictments) is required to be invaded by someone using the Blue Eye Orb. Killing NPCs will not open you up to Blue Eye Orb invasions.

"PvE sin", sin caused by attacking or aggro'ing NPCs, is what gets you invaded in Dark Anor Londo. Technically killing Gwynevere's illusion is what gets you invaded in Dark Anor Londo, but it counts as that kind of sin and is permanent (until the next NG cycle), so you can't not have PvE sin if you're in Dark Anor Londo. Killing Gwyndolin is not permanent sin, that can be absolved. 

If you try absolving after destroying Gwynevere's illusion, however, the game will let you, and tell you that you don't have any sin if you try absolving again right after. But it doesn't truly go away, because if you wait some time or travel around the world, it'll refresh and automatically put that sin back on you.

But you can do all that, go hosting somewhere outside of dark anor londo, and you still don't get invaded by Darkmoons unless you have indictment sin.

tl;dr - 
    "PvP sin" = blue eye orb invasions (host must be logged in the book of the guilty)
    "PvE sin" = darkmoon blade covenant ring invasions (host doesn't have to be logged in the book)
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Very interesting -- I had sort of gathered much of that through observation, but didn't realize Gwynevere's sin resets itself.  Is "PvE" sin affected in any way by getting killed by Darkmoons (via either ring invasion, or if you also had PvP sin)?  Or does that also track in parallel just on the PvP sin side?
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:19 pm

There appears to be no affect to your PvE sin when getting killed by another player. I don't have direct evidence for this, but I'm pretty sure PvE sin seems to function without any sort of counting or accumulation. It appears to be binary, a sort of on/off situation. Because there appears to be no apparent difference between killing 1 NPC or 5 NPCs, since absolution clears it just the same all at once, and it doesn't seem to affect invasions.

I haven't yet checked to see if your PvP sin count in the book gets reduced if you get killed by a ring invasion. That's a good question! I wonder if it only reduces when Blue Eye Orb invaders kill you, or if it doesn't make a difference.

I can run another test...
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:49 pm

Unfortunately, I have to report two contradictions to your findings.  I'm honestly not trying to be the "someone's wrong on the internet" guy and I hope this will help...

I have never been indicted in all my time playing Dark Souls and I've been invaded by SoVs outside Dark Anor Londo on a few occasions.  I think it was an invasion glitch at least once, but on one character it happened twice in a row so I checked my sin.  I had 1 sin and remembered I hadn't absolved after killing Gwyndolin for SLB, I absolved and the darkmoon invasions stopped.

For the last Darkstalker event in Anor Londo, Squashy_Avocado hosted in Dark Anor Londo.  I was a phantom in his world for a lot of it as well... and he was never invaded by a blue of any sort.  I didn't think that was possible, but he said he absolved after destroying the Gwynevere Illusion.  Perhaps this is possible if you are a Darkmoon?
    retro
    retro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by retro Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:50 am

Hey no worries! It's appreciated, I don't mind having my findings questioned because in the end in helps test their truthiness.

There are two reasons I'm pretty confident that being indicted is required for Darkmoon invasions occurring outside of Dark Anor Londo. I've spent a pretty large number of hours hosting with only "PvE" sin, and it has never allowed me to be invaded by a Darkmoon. Once I wind up in the Book of the Guilty for getting indicted at least once, then the invasions start happening. Additionally, someone else wrote a script/mod for the PC version, which works in conjunction with DSCfix, allowing you to block all outside traffic and only make guaranteed connections with your friends online. Under controlled conditions, the invasions were only working with indictment sin as well.

Like you said, there is the random glitch that happens every now and again of someone spawning in as the wrong phantom type, so that could explain the first occurrence.

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:[color=gold][font=pure]I've been invaded by SoVs outside Dark Anor Londo on a few occasions.  I think it was an invasion glitch at least once, but on one character it happened twice in a row so I checked my sin.  I had 1 sin and remembered I hadn't absolved after killing Gwyndolin for SLB, I absolved and the darkmoon invasions stopped...
    How did you check your sin and know you have 1? Did you check the Book of the Guilty and find yourself in there? If you did, then that means you were indicted at some point, because only indictment sins are counted. You can't actually absolve those, but if you checked the book after getting invaded and saw 1, then it would probably make sense that the invasions would stop happening by coincidence. Every time you're killed by a Darkmoon invader, your sin count is reduced by 1 (but it can take a little while to update in the book). There may even be a bug that sometimes causes the sin count to get reduced by 1 regardless if you die directly to them or soon after the encounter, I'm not sure. So that point could have gotten reduced back to 0 on its own after the invasions, which would cause them to cease.

Hugh_G_Johnson wrote:[size=16]
    For the last Darkstalker event in Anor Londo, Squashy_Avocado hosted in Dark Anor Londo.  I was a phantom in his world for a lot of it as well... and he was never invaded by a blue of any sort.  I didn't think that was possible, but he said he absolved after destroying the Gwynevere Illusion.  Perhaps this is possible if you are a Darkmoon?
    I've sometimes had to wait a very long time for the blue phantoms to start showing up in Dark Anor Londo, over a half hour. If he a spent a long time hosting, perhaps there is something to being a Darkmoon there that prevents fellow Darkmoon invasions. I'm not sure, but I can try and test that.

But regarding absolution after destroying Gwynevere, like I said, the game allows you to, but it doesn't really work. You can pay for it, and Oswald you will tell you that you no longer have any PvE sin after paying for it, though the game will automatically refresh every once and a while and put that sin back on you. I'm not entirely certain what the trigger for refreshing it is, but warping to Anor Londo and back to the Parish seemed sufficient. When people say you can't remove the sin of Gwynevere, you actually can remove it, but it just comes back.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:35 am

This is most puzzling... I am 100% certain I've never been indicted.  I've BCed everytime that I've glitched in as a red (I've tried using cracked eyes in an attempt to connected, but BCed similarly) and the host has never randomly died, let alone indicted me before I could leave.  I've never done forest covenant invasions.  Yet, I was in the book of the guilty.  

Ironically -- I have a similar character I'm working on right now that killed Gwyndolin in NG for SLB.  I am currently in the book of the guilty with 1 sin.  I haven't invaded as a red and I did not kill Gwynevere.   On this character I've even died after a spirit of vengeance invaded (I was just finishing up getting torched by the hellkite drake when he invaded, of course he suffered the same fate right after me LOL).  I only checked after that and I had 1 sin at that point, so I could have had 2 sin before.  However, there's still no explanation for my having sin at all.  I killed Lautrec after that, and I'm fairly sure killing him at any point doesn't count as sin.  

I was invaded in New Londo on a different character a long time ago and I recall being sure that was a glitch, but I've been invaded 3 times by SoVs in the Parish.  And the first two were basically back-to-back.  It seems an unlikely coincidence.  I don't care for invaders while I'm questing; so I'm either hollowed or rushing through the level.  So it's not like 3 times spread out, it's like 3 times in two playthroughs where I happened to be alive with PVE sin in the Parish.

Update: I just made it to Anor Londo and decided to go human while writing this to see if a blue would invade me.  After killing one red, I was invaded by a Spirit of Vengeance and died (luckily for him I wanted to die -- he buffed behind a pillar right next to me like I couldn't see him Look Skyward ) .  Thirteen minutes later I was freed of sin! cheers Prayer   I wonder why I didn't lose sin the first time.  Perhaps I died too quick, even though I saw the invasion notice before I died.  I know you get an ear as a SoV if you load into someone's world even after they die.  Perhaps I didn't need to die to the blue in Anor Londo; maybe I would have been cleared anyway in 13 minutes, IDK.  

And about hosting in Dark AL; Squash had been on a while before me and we did a marathon session.  It was at the very least 7 hours, probably closer to 9 that we were on together.  The whole time only reds invaded. So, I don't believe that's a coincidence either.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:38 am

I recently found the narrow path that can safely take you around the Zombie Dragon in Valley of Drakes even if it's already awake. You can stand on top of the path and spam the dragons head with ranged attacks and it can't attack you up there.
    Green__Eagle
    Green__Eagle
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Green__Eagle Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:44 am

Maybe some of these instances have changed with various patches, but when I was a Gravelord the first time, I spent a lot of time invading Undead Parish with the blue orb because I found a good ambush spot and it gave me an easy ear.

At the time, it was thought that sin followed your PSN ID, not your character. I suppose it is possible the people I killed had already been to Anor Londo and now they were going after the Gargoyles, but there were too many easy kills for that to be true.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:27 pm