Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
RANT
CaligoIllioneus
Glutebrah
TheMeInTeam
BrotherBob
Carphil
Ghadis_God
bopjo1
DoughGuy
CrackSouls
14 posters

Dark Magic Explanation? (DLC/PtD) I am confused.

CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Dark Magic Explanation? (DLC/PtD) I am confused. Empty Dark Magic Explanation? (DLC/PtD) I am confused.

Post by CrackSouls Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Hello all, it has been a long time.
    I have recently picked up Dark Souls again, and it's new DLC. I seem to be understanding all the changes and new weapons fine. However, this new "Dark Magic" confuses me in PVP.

Everything I can find on it says "deals Physical damage" and yet when I block with a 100% physical Shield I still take a decent amount of damage. Any one have an explanation/thouights?

Thank you.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Dark Magic Explanation? (DLC/PtD) I am confused. Empty Re: Dark Magic Explanation? (DLC/PtD) I am confused.

Post by DoughGuy Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:58 pm

It actually deals magic damage. Don't know why it says physical.
    bopjo1
    bopjo1
    Casual
    Casual

Dark Magic Explanation? (DLC/PtD) I am confused. Empty Re: Dark Magic Explanation? (DLC/PtD) I am confused.

Post by bopjo1 Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:13 pm

...but don't think your trusty Crest shield will save you.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:51 pm

I think it calculates damage based on your physical defense stat rather than your Magic defense. That's just my speculation though, I'm not sure.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:22 pm

wow! Our forums students still don't know about this? Now thats interesting! Time to test things to found out how to counter the new dark magic. I don't believe the silver pedant is the only option :|
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:27 pm

I'm betting that Havel's Greatshield would eat Pursuers/Dark Bead and leave its wielder with hardly a scratch. I'm proposing that as the countermeasure for Dark Magic.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 pm

BrotherBob wrote:I'm betting that Havel's Greatshield would eat Pursuers/Dark Bead and leave its wielder with hardly a scratch. I'm proposing that as the countermeasure for Dark Magic.

Ah that reminds me. someone already posted that Great Magic Barrier is also a good counter happy
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:38 pm

I know but, some people don't have the faith.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 pm

BrotherBob wrote:I know but, some people don't have the faith.

A lot of people don't have the str and equip load tolerance to lug around one of the heaviest shields in the game, either.

I think crest is probably ok vs beads if you have it maxed and have good end, but pursuers is another matter. I'm not sure I'd just walk into that with my shield out even when I do go max my crest shield and start using it.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:52 pm

its magic damage, use Great Magic Barrier and watch it make you immune
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Your right. I only brought up the idea of Havel's Greatshield because I personally love my strength/int build.
    CaligoIllioneus
    CaligoIllioneus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CaligoIllioneus Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm convined they just do typical magic damage, except that they also cause more poise/stamina damage. I don't think it's calculated with physical resist.
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:08 pm

That would make sense since GMB is so awesome at protecting against Dark Magic.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Glutebrah wrote:its magic damage, use Great Magic Barrier and watch it make you immune

wanna test this tonight G? i have a faith build and my str build that can use gmb and havel's shield. i rreally wanna know which one could potentially be better.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Vow of Silence is the best I've found, aside from just dodging it. Practice makes perfect, they're not so bad anymore for me though Pursuers is kind of hit and miss. Actually, lag doesn't affect them that much; you can dodge through them with fast roll if you wait until right before they hit you.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:27 am

BrotherBob wrote:Your right. I only brought up the idea of Havel's Greatshield because I personally love my strength/int build.

Well of course. If you're going str anyway you'd be hard pressed to find a better shield. Although you can't parry with it a lot of the nonsense people do with spells can just be ignored entirely with shields like that.

You'd kill my character like nothing right now since I am low level and have pyromancy and only pyromancy until I get enough dex added for PGS/good bow. I don't even go for parries or bs right now...and not because of some honor thing (or even because of skill). It's just because my weapons are so bad that a backstab coming from, say, a lightning spear or a not-fully-upgraded divine sword barely hurts more than just hitting someone with a combustion.

But I wanted to do PvP anyway without even beating some areas, so pyro glove was the way to go! Those shields though...man can the heavy shields be threatening. As long as you avoid the backstabs/parries you can forget about most other threats.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Carphil wrote:
    BrotherBob wrote:I'm betting that Havel's Greatshield would eat Pursuers/Dark Bead and leave its wielder with hardly a scratch. I'm proposing that as the countermeasure for Dark Magic.

Ah that reminds me. someone already posted that Great Magic Barrier is also a good counter happy

If that's true, then we can discard the theory about it's damage being calculated based on Physical defense.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:52 pm

with gmb on my character i took a full volley of pursuers (all five) and a crystal soul spear and only lost a third of my hp, i have around 1100 hp on that file as he's lvl 72 right now and i level up vit last, and the mage was wearing the dusk crown and the booster ring... so yeah and this guy isn't wearing much beyond 2 pieces of giants and chesters hat
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:38 pm

I did some research on dark sorcery if you wanna know more. The dark sorceries deal magic damage.

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t13851-some-research-about-dark-sorceries-and-manus-catalyst
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:09 am

Thank you every one, this has been extremely helpful!
    hageshisa
    hageshisa
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by hageshisa Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:57 am

Silver pendant is so lol. Sure you can block dark magic, but while your toon take that coffee break for using the pendant you'll get struck by either lethal melee attacks or "just" a heavy hitting CSA

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:29 am