dark magic is OP

    Share

    mocizzle
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 42
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-12-03

    dark magic is OP

    Post by mocizzle on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:28 am

    anyone else notice the dark magic is way to over powered, here's my example. I'm pvping in the forest two handing with the zweihander i get 1 shotted by a dark bead spell, BUT i have 2320 vitality, IN giant/tarkus armor, which has good magic defense, WHILE blocking with the zweihander, 1 shot????? that's too much in my opinion there's gotta be something done about that
    avatar
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 26
    Location : Canterlot

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Reaperfan on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:00 am

    Well, if you were in a position to get hit with all the beads at once then it makes sense. 7 beads total, only 2-3 of which were probably blocked by the Zweihander, the other 4-5 did counter damage because you were staggered from having your Zwei's block broken. Counting in the chip damage from the first few beads on top of all the bonus damage from the counter hits being taken all at once, you're looking at an awful lot of damage for one spell.


    _________________

    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." ~C.S. Lewis
    avatar
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1080
    Reputation : 37
    Join date : 2012-06-21
    Age : 20
    Location : Australia

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by raecor14 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:18 am

    still op never the less


    _________________
    #Edon'tbanme
    avatar
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 965
    Reputation : 53
    Join date : 2012-06-02
    Age : 48
    Location : In Limbo. It's nice and quiet here don't ya know!

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Gazman0169 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:21 am

    If an opponent comes at you using Dark Magic simply block it with a Crest Shield, the damage will then become minimal, and the shock of them not being able to suddenly knock chunks out of your HP will usually allow you the opportunity to get the jump on them. twisted


    _________________
    PSN- Gazman0169



    avatar
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3627
    Reputation : 144
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Age : 23
    Location : World 4-2 Demon Souls

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:53 am

    part of the damage is because you blocked with an inappropriate weapon, the first few beads busted your block wide open giving the rest of the beads a damage boost, plus the zwei only blocks like 10% of magic damage.


    _________________
    ლ(ಠ_ಠლ) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    avatar
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 652
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2012-10-30
    Age : 36

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by steveswede on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:06 am

    People need to stop thinking that they are an unstoppable tank because they have maxed out HP and heavy armour. I hear that pursers is OP, but when I face it head on with great magic barrier I can handle it, even with a magic crystal weapon on me as well. Even if you don't have GMB you can just roll into them and use your invincibility frames to eliminate them and if you don't get them all they will not bother you because they can't turn 180° and will continue forward. If you see a caster then don't go charging in because dark beed is designed to be an @ss kicker close up. A pure spell caster has finally become viable in PvP so we don't need another nerf to magic because people don't practice caution.
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Sentiel on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:21 am

    Dark Magic is not OP. I have little experience fighting against Dark Orb and Dark Fog, because nobody uses them, but Dark Bead and Purusers are definitely not OP.

    Dark Bead works like a shotgun (right Rosie? big grin ), it's harmless from a distance, but can outright one shot you from up close. All it means, is that now, you can't just simply charge straight at a caster thinking you'll own them with your weapon.

    Str builds can block it with Havel's Shield and punish the caster, or turtle untill they're out of casts.
    Dex builds can roll bs them, or simply evade until they run out of casts.
    Faith builds can use DMB, or VoS and ignore them.
    Int builds can one shot each other and be done with it. lol


    Pursuers are just glorified Soulmass that you can't simple sideroll from. They have two fatal weaknesses.
    They can't do a 180° turn.
    They are so slow, you can just walk backwards and they won't catch up.

    Str builds can additionally block them with Havel's Shield, but be warned, it will drain a lot of your stamina.
    Dex builds can roll bs them, or simply roll through them.
    Faith builds can use DMB, or VoS and ignore them, again. happy
    Int builds can cast Pursuers on each other and run around like idiots. big grin

    avatar
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1131
    Reputation : 49
    Join date : 2012-10-16
    Location : Somewhere in Asia

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Automancer on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:39 am

    Dark Magic ain't OP, it's just that some people still haven't gotten used to dodging them. Give it time and suck it up. Although, i have a feeling the guy was me... Maybe not, but who knows.


    _________________
    !Dual-wielder all the way!
    PSN: bluebee898
    http://www.haouform.deviantart.com (Come visit and have fun!)
    avatar
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4689
    Reputation : 257
    Join date : 2012-01-26

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Rynn on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:40 am

    Dark Bead shouldn't be able to dead angle, otherwise it's fine. Same basic comment I have for Wrath of the Gods honestly... magic shouldn't dead angle.

    Dark Bead IMO could use a tiny damage nerf, as a mage you can beat every single boss in less then 10 seconds now, including DLC ones.

    joemann
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 42
    Reputation : 5
    Join date : 2012-09-21

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by joemann on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:01 am

    I really dislike it when people say, "X spell is OP" or "Y ability is OP". Usually when someone says that something is OP, it is because they lost to someone using that spell/ability/weapon/move/etc.

    "Knowledge is power": if you got one shotted by a spell, dark bead for example, instead of complaining about it, ask other people how they deal with it. Also, learn about how the spell works. I notice that if I cast dark bead at a target at max lock-on range it does crap damage and only 1 or 2 of the beads hit, but up close and personal with all beads hitting at once it does massive damage.

    PvP is about learning how the various spells, weapons, abilities, etc work and how to counter, dodge, block, those very same things.

    Complaining about something does not make one better at PvP. However, voicing concern about a particular ability/spell/weapon/etc and how others are dealing with said ability, et al will help one become better.

    To the person who said dark bead is OP on bosses, I would agree there. In fact, css, hcsm, and dark bead make bosses very easy and simply takes the challenge out of them. However, with PVE one does have the option to forgo the use of these spells, thereby making the bosses more challenging, whereas in pvp you can't conrtol what spells your opponents use.
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Sentiel on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:03 am

    Rynn wrote:Dark Bead IMO could use a tiny damage nerf, as a mage you can beat every single boss in less then 10 seconds now, including DLC ones.
    You could do that with CSS, but that requires some 44 Int, while DB requires only 16. So perhaps raising it's Int requiremens would solve the problem. If nothing else, we would stop seeing people using BD with base 16 Int with Oolacille, Darkmoon Catalyst so much.

    avatar
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4689
    Reputation : 257
    Join date : 2012-01-26

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Rynn on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:11 am

    joemann wrote:I really dislike it when people say, "X spell is OP" or "Y ability is OP". Usually when someone says that something is OP, it is because they lost to someone using that spell/ability/weapon/move/etc.

    That is a strawman argument, but let me make a true statement you're probably going to believe I'm lying about.

    I've won a bit over 95% of my battles recently, even against gankers. Dark Bead rarely kills me because I'm good at dodging it. I just feel there is something wrong with doing 2700 HP of damage in a single spell that casts faster then Crystal Soul Spear, and feel it needs a damage nerf. It's just unreasonable.

    Half the cast time for triple the damage with 1.5 times as many casts, with a far lower int requirement. Where is the balance?
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Sentiel on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:18 am

    Wait wait wait what?
    DB is casting faster then Soul Spears?
    I'm pretty sure it casts about the same when I use it...
    Maybe it's cos my Int has low Dex?

    avatar
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4689
    Reputation : 257
    Join date : 2012-01-26

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Rynn on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:20 am

    It casts as fast as Soul Arrow.
    Soul Spear is slower then Souls Arrow.

    joemann
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 42
    Reputation : 5
    Join date : 2012-09-21

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by joemann on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:23 am

    Rynn wrote:
    joemann wrote:I really dislike it when people say, "X spell is OP" or "Y ability is OP". Usually when someone says that something is OP, it is because they lost to someone using that spell/ability/weapon/move/etc.

    That is a strawman argument, but let me make a true statement you're probably going to believe I'm lying about.

    I've won a bit over 95% of my battles recently, even against gankers. Dark Bead rarely kills me because I'm good at dodging it. I just feel there is something wrong with doing 2700 HP of damage in a single spell that casts faster then Crystal Soul Spear, and feel it needs a damage nerf. It's just unreasonable.

    Half the cast time for triple the damage with 1.5 times as many casts, with a far lower int requirement. Where is the balance?

    First: I said "usually" not "always".

    Second: when dark bead fires there are around 7 or 8 invidual beads? So with 2700 damage total that puts each invidual bead between 337-390-ish damage. One CSS does more damage. So in terms of damage, I don't see anything OP here.

    Third: I tend to see a difference between a balance issue and an OP issue. Dark Bead in and of itself is not OP. However, I do agree that the low intel requirement is un-balanced. If anything, Dark Bead just needs a higher intel requirement, but not a damage nerf.
    avatar
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5912
    Reputation : 177
    Join date : 2012-02-27
    Age : 28
    Location : ENGLAND!!!

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by billy_bayonet on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:35 am

    whine whine whine whine, sorry but thats all i see these days its depressing its a damn video game sure some things are better then others but who cares, you can dodge all forms of magic sometimes lag will get you killed but hey does anyone ever mind when lag kills them?

    bottom line it hits hard sooo dont get hit? and stop complaining please?!!!


    _________________
    "War is based on deception"- Sun Tzu

    "No matter how honourable you think you are we all have a darkside"
    Despair shall become you


    lordgodofhell wrote:I love receiving hatemail but this is more like stupidmail on his part. Still, I can feel his pain. I mean, we all know Billy is OP need nerf.

    Graelaoch wrote:! Oh yes, Billy is Op and needs nerf. laughing
    avatar
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3181
    Reputation : 231
    Join date : 2012-11-26
    Age : 29
    Location : Mushroom Kingdom

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Sentiel on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 am

    Rynn wrote:It casts as fast as Soul Arrow.
    Soul Spear is slower then Souls Arrow.
    Really? Well damn me, I got an Int caster for such a long time and failed to notice this...

    avatar
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 4689
    Reputation : 257
    Join date : 2012-01-26

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Rynn on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:50 pm

    Dark bead shoots out 6 orbs, each orb strikes for about 455 damage, around that benchmark. Soul Spear might do 1600, but it is weaker in comparison.
    avatar
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

    Posts : 953
    Reputation : 16
    Join date : 2012-11-28
    Age : 19
    Location : Texas

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by BeeSeaEss on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:28 pm

    billy_bayonet wrote:whine whine whine whine, sorry but thats all i see these days its depressing its a damn video game sure some things are better then others but who cares, you can dodge all forms of magic sometimes lag will get you killed but hey does anyone ever mind when lag kills them?

    bottom line it hits hard sooo dont get hit? and stop complaining please?!!!

    i don't see how you got downrepped on this, this makes total since, everyone needs to lighten up while playing the game, instead of complaining, just fix it.
    and btw, i swear to God, if FROM nerfs anything, like dark bead, it will get soooo much weaker, thats just the thing with nerfs.
    From: Hey, Dark Bead is over powered? Let us make it completely useless in combat! big grin that is what nerfs do to things, and I only do 800 dmg max with minimum requirement for dark bead, but i have a darmoon catalyst, so that could explain some things.


    _________________
    PSN:BeeSeaEss

    Exiled of Ariamis & proud of it. Rank: Council Member.

    I pity the fool who steps up to painted lane! They call me PG dextrous 'cause I'll cut yo whole gang!

    Join the Painting Guardians! http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t19608-the-exiled-of-ariamis-epoch-three-united-we-stand
    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:03 pm



    I actually really hate all the forms of magic (except lightning spears) and those who abuse it, but you won't see me complaining about it.

    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1721
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-07-30

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by IV_Mark_VI on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:36 pm

    You can just back pedal from dark bead as well if you have the space for it (forest). Normally when I see it, I just move close to trigger it then back off and it moves so slowly I'm fine.


    _________________
    XBox Gamertag: VI Mark IV
    PSN: VI_Mark_IV
    avatar
    billy_bayonet
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5912
    Reputation : 177
    Join date : 2012-02-27
    Age : 28
    Location : ENGLAND!!!

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by billy_bayonet on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:22 pm

    I knew i'd get downrepped due to the nature of the post


    _________________
    "War is based on deception"- Sun Tzu

    "No matter how honourable you think you are we all have a darkside"
    Despair shall become you


    lordgodofhell wrote:I love receiving hatemail but this is more like stupidmail on his part. Still, I can feel his pain. I mean, we all know Billy is OP need nerf.

    Graelaoch wrote:! Oh yes, Billy is Op and needs nerf. laughing
    avatar
    Thor_Odinson
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 47
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-11-26

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Thor_Odinson on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 pm

    Honestly it could use a slight dmg nerf. There is no reason a spell should take off 1800 dmg when its so easy to pull off and cast time. Everyone yells gmb to combat. Making a community have to have the stats and spell to combat just one other form of magic is pretty ridiculous. Its just stupid strong if it hits. Good thing is its realtivley easy to dodge once you get use to it. My biggest issue is when someone casts pursuers, then dark bead spams me.
    avatar
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1010
    Reputation : 42
    Join date : 2012-11-05
    Age : 33
    Location : 1337 Accuracy Way

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by TheMeInTeam on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:41 pm

    Gazman0169 wrote:If an opponent comes at you using Dark Magic simply block it with a Crest Shield, the damage will then become minimal, and the shock of them not being able to suddenly knock chunks out of your HP will usually allow you the opportunity to get the jump on them. twisted

    With crest I'd block dark bead (while strafing so a few miss), dodge pursuers. Pursuers hit too hard/break too much guard.

    Faith and magic each have a way to deal with it, pyromancy/pure melee less so (though if you aren't dumping into one casting stat at all, you probably have the str for something like havels or giants).
    avatar
    Kerberos-013
    Regular
    Regular

    Posts : 99
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-03-16
    Location : US

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Kerberos-013 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:41 pm

    I think bead is OP at close range. For example griefers that spam it on you spawn point as you spawn in.
    I don't have a problem with it at range, but point blank is ridiculous damage.

    I now started immediatly cast GMB when I spawn in as an invader. Never feared magic before so maybe dark magi is working as designed to give mages a fearful spell. Just seems too easy to abuse

    .


    _________________
    PS3 = Kerberos-013
    Praise The Sun!

    Sponsored content

    Re: dark magic is OP

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:24 am