Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+40
FattyOfDoom
PwnasauresRex
Forum Pirate
N_Raist
CaligoIllioneus
Sloth9230
The Letter X
Ahhotep1
Rynn
GrinTwist
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
ThatPerson
Skarectum
TheMeInTeam
hageshisa
skarekrow13
RANT
robsthedon
argotthar
ROOSTER330
wolfboy
White Knight Wulf
Ghadis_God
DoughGuy
Uparkaam
FinPeku
cloudyeki
Quarik
Bamjam
SunlightCrusader
Spurgun
Rudmed
nsane32
dancash1808
Brokewilly
TehInfamousAmos
Tolvo
Emergence
reim0027
DarkW17
44 posters

For the Glory of Alvina

RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 35 Empty Re: For the Glory of Alvina

Post by RANT Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 pm

reim0027 wrote:How helpful is Force? I'm considering adding it on my Mura build. Is it worth it?

it can be one of the most annoying spells in the game but REALLY helpful if you're hunting gankers since you can do the force-bs combo and they wont even touch you.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Rudmed wrote:Well I'm back with the DM's now. Ran through most of the area in about 3 hours on NG+...I feel acomplished for some reason

Welcome back into the fold bro. Now you can get back to serving justice on dem sinners in ye ole forest. I'm going to dedicate a night this week to helping out the sack bros (and hunters) in the forest - should be grand ole time. If u need some SoRs to level-up let me know.

Last edited by Brokewilly on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:58 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    reim0027 wrote:How helpful is Force? I'm considering adding it on my Mura build. Is it worth it?

it can be one of the most annoying spells in the game but REALLY helpful if you're hunting gankers since you can do the force-bs combo and they wont even touch you.

I agree - I used Force a lot in the forest to get BSs. Its great when it works and when it doesn't just pop another off and go for it again especially if the ganker just stands there hitting R1.
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Hadoken[i]
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:58 am

I'm also not a huge fan of most spells anyway. I'm pretty sure that when I hunted I carried WotG, but that's absolutely last resort when I don't have enough stamina to counter-stun. Pyromancy is easy to dodge and quite unreliable, and sorcery is pretty much the same. I love weapon buffs and stuff like GMB though. Can't speak for DLC magic, and I haven't used sorcery too extensively in the forest anyway, but from what I have done people are much better at dodging a CSS or GCF than they are a parry. (SPAM MORE AGAINST MY RAISED SHIELD PLZ!)
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Rudmed Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:25 pm

So I found out what everyone one meant by the Karmic Justice edit.

He held the talisman like a bell and I paused as my brain tried to figure out what he was doing. *Boom*

I soon found out...and the guy had edited health too. Considering how he shrugged off a 1000 damage backstab and still had more 3/4ths of his life. Second hacker I found within 15 minutes, but I did beat the first one.

Which reminds me I ought to post my survey results so far.

Edit: Survey results out of eleven hackers.

4 choose not to answer.
    2 hacked because it was fun to them.
    1 was tired of losing.
    1 thought it would even the playing field against his enemies.
    2 lied to lie me and tried to hide their cheating (At least one did).
    1 Hated other hackers, but also wanted to help his friend.
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:59 pm

Fought about 5 minutes 3v1 and host kept healing his phantoms and himself like always. I healed many times too but in the end ate two hornet ring backstabs in a row and died. Phantom in giants + MoM gives me the classic combination of point down and well what is it. Priceless.

By the way, hunters on PS3. If you're forest hunting for the next few hours, come to the PSN chat with me and let's share stories happy
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Rudmed wrote:So I found out what everyone one meant by the Karmic Justice edit.

He held the talisman like a bell and I paused as my brain tried to figure out what he was doing. *Boom*

I soon found out...and the guy had edited health too. Considering how he shrugged off a 1000 damage backstab and still had more 3/4ths of his life. Second hacker I found within 15 minutes, but I did beat the first one.

Which reminds me I ought to post my survey results so far.

Edit: Survey results out of eleven hackers.

4 choose not to answer.
    2 hacked because it was fun to them.
    1 was tired of losing.
    1 thought it would even the playing field against his enemies.
    2 lied to lie me and tried to hide their cheating (At least one did).
    1 Hated other hackers, but also wanted to help his friend.
    I tried doing this. I got 2 responses one said "because everyone does it"
    and the other claimed that I was infact the one hacking
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Rudmed Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:48 pm

I hope I bump into more, this way I can come up with a more conclusive analysis. I figure if we can discover the cause then maybe we could fix it.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 am

Rudmed very interesting results and it appears to follow what I have learned from the hacker/mods thus far. To date I have met at least two mods who claim to be "mod hunters" both turned out to be cool dudes (had lengthy voice chat or PMs with them). I will be posting a long battle I had with one of these "mod hunters" that invaded me in the Burg. Rudmed you need to hang out with me for a few hours - I run across at least one every pvp session (dang near every day :shock: ). I think I'm some kind of mod magnet or something.

On a another topic here is a vid of me, Wulf, Ziko and two other cats dancing under the pale moonlight happy . It was like a three hour dueling session it was a grand ole time cheers .

https://youtu.be/6OZMpHa7bpk

Its not the destination but the journey - winning is nice but a good fight ,even if I lose, is even better!!
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:10 am

Kinda wish u hadn't put the bit with me usin the Dgs
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:15 am

Wolfof Phyrexia wrote:Kinda wish u hadn't put the bit with me usin the Dgs

Oh Wolf its all good big grin - I had a great time even though everyone and their brother took turns beating my butt into the dirt lol . You had many victories to overshadow any oops moments you may have had.

Many more duels in the moonpit to come.
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:45 am

yup hopefully so my friend
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:55 am

Wolfof Phyrexia wrote:yup hopefully so my friend

Wulf you were wrecking shop and taking names - you definitely had the most wins of the night. I kept forgetting you were wearing the HR plus brandishing the greatsword:shock: - definitely OHK:)

Fun times.
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi everyone, nooby hunter here silly

I've been using my SL 125 to fight the gankers, and it's went ok-ish, but I'm going to create a build dedicated to Forest Hunting, but I was wondering what weapon, armour set-up ecetera?
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:47 pm

You want to have at least one way of dealing a lot of damage fast. Not because you're trying to be cheap but because your opponents will heal themselves. Slowly chipping them to death with balder side sword's r1 will not be very effective unlike it can be in duels. However, combine that with powerful backstabs, some pyros, magic, a weapon that stunlocks, a buff or anything like that and you have a decent forest hunter build. Sometimes it works nicely when you first weaken them just a little bit that they don't want to heal yet, but you have a way to deal just enough damage to finish them. 2-3 pokes with a spear and a hornet ring backstab for example.

You will also want to have a plan b. Don't rely only on MLGS and Dark bead, some gankers have actually gone through the trouble of getting great magic barrier. Don't rely only on stunlocking, some of them may actually know how to toggle escape, or you can get backstabbed by a phantom while stuclonking host etc etc. I'm sure you get what i mean.

Things i almost always have with my forest hunters: Shotel, good backstab weapon, fast roll/ninja flip, way to regenerate stamina faster.
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:09 pm

I was thinking of using something like this http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=487507615678463674

I will keep leveling up to 713, but those are my main stats
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:53 pm

FinPeku wrote:You want to have at least one way of dealing a lot of damage fast. Not because you're trying to be cheap but because your opponents will heal themselves. Slowly chipping them to death with balder side sword's r1 will not be very effective unlike it can be in duels.

You will also want to have a plan b.
    Things i almost always have with my forest hunters: Shotel, good backstab weapon, fast roll/ninja flip, way to regenerate stamina faster.

Excellent Praise the Sun - FinPeku pretty much summed it up in a nutshell - he has given you everything you need to be quality gank hunter. @FattyofDoom - follow those suggestions and you will be alright. Also, you should become accustomed to dying (a.k.a. ganked to death) in every way imaginable but I'm sure you have gotten a taste of that all ready. Once you become accustomed to losing the fear and frustration will melt away. Remember the odds are often stacked against you so its okay to lose - just inflict as much pain as you can before you check out. I'll look at your build and offer suggestions if can. One thing to remember - as you level up to extremely high levels you may encounter gankers /campers with multiple stacks of everything (WoG, TwoP, various dark magic spells, etc) so you must level-up wisely to increase your lethality (I don't think this is a word but I'm going to use it lol ).

For the glory of Alvina!!
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Fin is right on most parts n ill add sum input wen I get home so
    Quarik
    Quarik
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Quarik Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:43 pm

FinPeku wrote:You want to have at least one way of dealing a lot of damage fast. Not because you're trying to be cheap but because your opponents will heal themselves. Slowly chipping them to death with balder side sword's r1 will not be very effective unlike it can be in duels. However, combine that with powerful backstabs, some pyros, magic, a weapon that stunlocks, a buff or anything like that and you have a decent forest hunter build. Sometimes it works nicely when you first weaken them just a little bit that they don't want to heal yet, but you have a way to deal just enough damage to finish them. 2-3 pokes with a spear and a hornet ring backstab for example.

You will also want to have a plan b. Don't rely only on MLGS and Dark bead, some gankers have actually gone through the trouble of getting great magic barrier. Don't rely only on stunlocking, some of them may actually know how to toggle escape, or you can get backstabbed by a phantom while stuclonking host etc etc. I'm sure you get what i mean.

I disagree with some of that. Some of it comes down to playstyle, but I can't use magic to any degree of competency and I won most of my engagements, and Cloudyeki is a monster but he only uses pyro and a Furysword. The few times I've played with Broke he seems to also rely on poke. In addition, making them burn Estus and Humanity but not killing them can be more beneficial than outright OHKOing. It wastes their time, their resources, and they tend to get frustrated and make more mistakes. However, if you do plan to go all-in like I play, make sure you can do three things VERY well: backstab, parry, and stunlock. If someone is turtling against me I just wait and cast spells. I may not be good with them, but they're easy to land on someone who's barely moving. If they roll to avoid the spell you should be able to abuse that.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Ok people I have returned to the well of knowledge. I am still in "experimentation mode" so I want to play around with the PGS and notched whip.

I want to use the PGS primarily as back-up weapon.I use the g. tracer from time to time so I'm looking to see if the PGS is a viable replacement. I have NO experience with the PGS in combat. I know the PGS's reach and probably phantom range is shorter than the g.tracer but is it a decent back-up weapon? Since my INT on my DM is high enough I'm using a enchanted +5 version which amazingly gets a S scaling against INT twisted . One of the few weapons which gets maxed scaling to my knowledge. I may play around with it off-handed from time-to-time so what are some experiences parrying with the PGS?

Now the notched whip (enchanted and normal) will be primarily used off-handed for surprise, finishing attacks and interdiction based upon the attack animation. Again, no experience with the notched whip so I am newbie. I need to attempt more parrys so it appears the notched whip parry animation speed is comparable to a small shield (R/W Shield for instance)??? Does anyone have some knowledge they can drop on me about off-handing and parrying with the notched whip?

Thanks in advance for any and all input fine sirs and madams. Prostration

Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Quarik wrote:I disagree with some of that. Some of it comes down to playstyle, but I can't use magic to any degree of competency and I won most of my engagements, and Cloudyeki is a monster but he only uses pyro and a Furysword. The few times I've played with Broke he seems to also rely on poke. In addition, making them burn Estus and Humanity but not killing them can be more beneficial than outright OHKOing. It wastes their time, their resources, and they tend to get frustrated and make more mistakes. However, if you do plan to go all-in like I play, make sure you can do three things VERY well: backstab, parry, and stunlock. If someone is turtling against me I just wait and cast spells. I may not be good with them, but they're easy to land on someone who's barely moving. If they roll to avoid the spell you should be able to abuse that.

@Quarik - excellent additional points. I agree a person's playstyle will often determine how they fight in the forest. I do love spears so I always carry one when I invade the forest. So if you let me stay out of range and jab you with my spear all night then so be it. Stun-lock plus high damage is also my bread and butter - in those situations when you have to look them in the eye as you kill 'em. Resource usage is important since this will determine how long before ganker has before resetting the board due to low resources. This good because there are many reds and SoVs who invade at the bonfire to interdict gankers - I invade there to catch them alone. But when the rubber hits the road - you must have the ability to quickly kill a ganker using a BS, parry, stun-lock, high AR weapon/buff, etc.

White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Broke in regards to the N. Whip it is best in the off-hand and the parry animation is similar to that of a dagger, katana, or fist weapon. the best way to use it is to hit from a distance as it has amazing reach(almost as long as the spear). hit quickly and at random. and noe that the N. Whip CANT i repeat CANT be parried so its good against parry spammers. Fatty welcome to the kitty lady hunters and wat fin and quarik said is true if u run magic use it wisely and dnt spam it. if ur going pure melee do wat fin said and get good a BS techniques to make yourself a more dangerous opponent. if u use a stunlock weapon(i.e. Ul.GSs Cu.GSs, etc) make sure you have the poise to tank a couple hits while your swing starts up. ive seen many people try to use a stunlocking weapon with no poise and get destroyed because they cant take a hit and their swing gets interrupted. always have a faster weapon as backup just in case the bigger weapons isnt working out. if you want a good example of a str weapon build take a look at my build in my sig
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:08 am

@ Quarik

I didn't mean you need EVERYTHING i listed happy But any combination of stunlocking, criticals, magic or a buff. Like furysword + pyros. Furysword is actually very good for stunlocking since it consumes very low stamina but deals over 60 poise damage in two hits. But it is also good for chipping damage through shields. And with buff, I didn't mean SLB or DMB. It means also stuff like crown of dusk, ring of the sun's first born and such. Sure, they are not mandatory, but they help.

In addition, making them burn Estus and Humanity but not killing them can be more beneficial than outright OHKOing. It wastes their time, their resources, and they tend to get frustrated and make more mistakes
    I agree.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:13 am

I tried to backstab the host off a ledge.

But he fell through the ground instead. :|

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:58 pm