Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+40
FattyOfDoom
PwnasauresRex
Forum Pirate
N_Raist
CaligoIllioneus
Sloth9230
The Letter X
Ahhotep1
Rynn
GrinTwist
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
ThatPerson
Skarectum
TheMeInTeam
hageshisa
skarekrow13
RANT
robsthedon
argotthar
ROOSTER330
wolfboy
White Knight Wulf
Ghadis_God
DoughGuy
Uparkaam
FinPeku
cloudyeki
Quarik
Bamjam
SunlightCrusader
Spurgun
Rudmed
nsane32
dancash1808
Brokewilly
TehInfamousAmos
Tolvo
Emergence
reim0027
DarkW17
44 posters

For the Glory of Alvina

FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 36 Empty Re: For the Glory of Alvina

Post by FattyOfDoom Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Uparkaam wrote:I tried to backstab the host off a ledge.

But he fell through the ground instead. :|

Because falling OFF the cliff is to mainstream
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Wolfof Phyrexia wrote:Broke in regards to the N. Whip it is best in the off-hand and the parry animation is similar to that of a dagger, katana, or fist weapon. the best way to use it is to hit from a distance as it has amazing reach(almost as long as the spear). hit quickly and at random. and noe that the N. Whip CANT i repeat CANT be parried so its good against parry spammers.

Good deal - I will be doing some combat testing in the Township over the next few days - lets just see how proficient I get with the N. whip. It looks like a fun weapon. Thanks for the feedback.

sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:36 pm

why does every whip user use the notched whip? i've found no evidence that it actually does better against heavy armor than the regular whip which has higher ar and lower weight.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:48 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:why does every whip user use the notched whip? i've found no evidence that it actually does better against heavy armor than the regular whip which has higher ar and lower weight.

Good question - I just decided try it out because I had two just sitting in BB collecting dust. I don't even think I bothered to get the "regular" whip from Blightown on any of my toons. Is there a glaring difference between the two other than bleed? What are your experiences with them?
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Brokewilly wrote:
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:why does every whip user use the notched whip? i've found no evidence that it actually does better against heavy armor than the regular whip which has higher ar and lower weight.

Good question - I just decided try it out because I had two just sitting in BB collecting dust. I don't even think I bothered to get the "regular" whip from Blightown on any of my toons. Is there a glaring difference between the two other than bleed? What are your experiences with them?

The N.Whip does bleed, but does 10 less AR and weighs 0.5kg more.

The Whip does 10 extra AR, and weighs 1.5kg

The Notched Whip isn't as good in my opinion if you aren't using a bleed weapon, but even while using one i'd still prefer the normal whip.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:45 pm

the ar difference is 373 for the regular to 354 for the notched and 333 for the guardian tail (though the guardian tail has more reach and poison.) thus i'd say the best are the guardian and the regular whip as the guardan tail is great on buff builds due to its range and innate poison.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:31 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:the ar difference is 373 for the regular to 354 for the notched and 333 for the guardian tail (though the guardian tail has more reach and poison.) thus i'd say the best are the guardian and the regular whip as the guardan tail is great on buff builds due to its range and innate poison.

Thanks for the info - well then I will have to get me a whip to play with too happy .I checked the numbers and the AR from the whip is sufficient for my purposes.
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:58 am

The n. Whips reach is also a little bittle longer than the whip
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:01 am

Rawr
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:10 am

imo the regular whip is better, you will never bleed anyone with the notched whip unless theryre retarded and just stand in front of you. go with the regular whip broke on the off hand, it has a fast parry like its been mentioned which is awesome.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:37 pm

RantFromRant wrote:imo the regular whip is better, you will never bleed anyone with the notched whip unless theryre retarded and just stand in front of you. go with the regular whip broke on the off hand, it has a fast parry like its been mentioned which is awesome.

Thanks Rant - I was waiting for you to chime in. happy Because I'm too lazy to go to Blightown to get the whip I will hook-up with a dependable seeker for a couple.

Ok - I'm back on my dual-wielding kick. I got in a few duels running with dual kats (Uchi RH, W.Pole LH) and it is a pretty good setup. The config allows extremely fast attacks and when combined with fast roll - it is kind of OP twisted . I never was in to katanas since I believe they are way too easy to use so I wanted spice things up by forcing my self to dual-wield them. Plus I have enough encum to keep a shield equipped just in case I need to take a defensive posture. I wanted to try off-handing the: Gargoyle Tail Axe, Crescent Axe, Gargoyle Halberd, Scythe and G. Scythe but I wanted to see if anyone had some experience off-handed any these weapons. I have never off-handed any of them in combat before sad . Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Still evolving.... Prayer
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Gargoyle halberd off hand has incredible poke potential. I always thought a large part of the G scythes strength was its non basic attacks so I would say no to that one probably. (no running tricks and other such fun)
    scythe is the same as G hally for dex builds. and axes I really dont like so I wont comment on those.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:27 pm

the g scythe and the crescent axe off hand are pretty awesome for fishermen, since most of them ave no other strategy you will desstroy them with those weapons.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:09 pm

Brokewilly wrote:
    RantFromRant wrote:imo the regular whip is better, you will never bleed anyone with the notched whip unless theryre retarded and just stand in front of you. go with the regular whip broke on the off hand, it has a fast parry like its been mentioned which is awesome.

Thanks Rant - I was waiting for you to chime in. happy Because I'm too lazy to go to Blightown to get the whip I will hook-up with a dependable seeker for a couple.

Ok - I'm back on my dual-wielding kick. I got in a few duels running with dual kats (Uchi RH, W.Pole LH) and it is a pretty good setup. The config allows extremely fast attacks and when combined with fast roll - it is kind of OP twisted . I never was in to katanas since I believe they are way too easy to use so I wanted spice things up by forcing my self to dual-wield them. Plus I have enough encum to keep a shield equipped just in case I need to take a defensive posture. I wanted to try off-handing the: Gargoyle Tail Axe, Crescent Axe, Gargoyle Halberd, Scythe and G. Scythe but I wanted to see if anyone had some experience off-handed any these weapons. I have never off-handed any of them in combat before sad . Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Still evolving.... Prayer

We should get some duels in some time. All I do is dual wield Kats now.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:50 pm

The Letter X wrote:We should get some duels in some time. All I do is dual wield Kats now.

Sure thing bro - I'm planning on doing some hosting tonight in the township and potentially the moonpit if things get ridicolous in the township.Basically doing a marathon session - need to play around with various dual-wielding configs on my SL317. You are welcome to join in on the fun. I sent you a PM on the BOX.

@Rant and Dan - great points.Any of the wide-arc swinging weapons (G.Scythe, C. Axe, an maybe the GT Axe) would be a BS fisher wake-up call!! twisted . I never was a serious G. Scythe user so I probably won't miss the running and 2nd swing 2H attacks too much 8) . The G. Halberd is a hard hitting weapon (high AR), good reach and fast attack - this would also apply to the Scythe offhanded I am assuming. I'll be playing around with them all tonight - need to get my DkS fix.
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:05 pm

So wulf has gone bad to the days of wen he was with his gang... light and heavy armor and slashing weapons
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:47 pm

I've been thinking of trying out the combo of the Chaos Blade + Priscilla's dagger. Chaos Blade to build up there bleed and Priscilla's to get the 50% HP thing. Has anyone tried out this combo before?
    White Knight Wulf
    White Knight Wulf
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by White Knight Wulf Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:23 am

if u use pricys dagger use the heavy attack their really hard for most to parry and their pretty fast
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:42 am

FattyOfDoom wrote:I've been thinking of trying out the combo of the Chaos Blade + Priscilla's dagger. Chaos Blade to build up there bleed and Priscilla's to get the 50% HP thing. Has anyone tried out this combo before?
    I've used that combo. It was a bit disappointing. Priscilla's has so crappy reach and loses its speed in off-hand too. But it could work against turtles. If you're going for bleed, i would rather use Gold tracer + Lifehunt scythe.
    Azure23
    Azure23

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 36 Empty The Saga of Eurydice

Post by Azure23 Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:28 am

Here is the story of a sorceress named Eurydice. She faithfully served lord Gwyn as a warrior of sunlight for many years, battle after battle, she brought honor to the golden phantom. One day she journeyed into the darkness of Alvina's forest, and being the faithful sunlight warrior she was, put her soul sign down, and waited patiently to be summoned. Master sorceress as she was, this did not take long. And yet each summoner seemed content to wait, and reap the phantoms of the noble forest protectors while she stood by, watching in horror. This continued longer than she could bear, even witnessing her fellow golden warriors participate in this abominable culling. "Is this what has become of my jolly compatriots?" She thought to herself. "Surely something must be done! I will turn these once noble warriors from the path of the wicked!" She saw this willingness to slaughter as a disease, and the only cure? Her purifying magic. She sought out the Demigod of the forest, the ancient cat Alvina, and offered her services. And that is how the sorceress Eurydice found her true calling in the hunt.

In all seriousness though I just started hunting and these tips have been invaluable, you guys are great!
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Azure23 wrote:In all seriousness though I just started hunting and these tips have been invaluable, you guys are great!

Welcome Azure - you have arrived at the next stage of your evolution. Sunbros are cool but ganking has forever corrupted their purpose. Don't get me wrong hunters also bang so I am not being biased. Hunters that bang should be brutally killed. As long as you can handle the many defeats yet learn from them you will love being a hunter. There is nothing in the game equal to beating a gank.

For the glory of Alvina!!
    Azure23
    Azure23

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 36 Empty Seeing a trend in my invasions so far

Post by Azure23 Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Good news first; shredded a couple groups of gankers today, an experience ive not had so far in Dark Souls, so that was great. invaded and ended up spawning at the stairs with a heavy in smough's (with zwei) and a leeroy cosplayer, booked it to Alvina's temple and used that nasty little loop to get behind them and blasted the summoned leeroy with CSS, one shot kill. Smough started running so I chased him down and caught him near the cats, one of those staggered him with a roll attack and i managed to get a BS with my enchanted estoc, he was still up after that so I finished him with a close range dark bead when he turned and tried to run away. I felt like a goddamn god.

Secondly, in the twenty or so matches i had today, i saw lots of Murakumo's. Now i've heard good things about this weapon (great stun lock, phantom range, etc.) and im thinking about making a shiva build (because he is pretty boss) but my main problem now is that i cant seem to parry the damn thing. Now i'm pretty good at parries, the first time i beat the game was with a faith fencer with a parrying dagger and ricards, but for some reason the murakumo timing completely eludes me. Any suggestions on attack animation timing?
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 am

Azure23 wrote:Now i'm pretty good at parries, the first time i beat the game was with a faith fencer with a parrying dagger and ricards, but for some reason the murakumo timing completely eludes me. Any suggestions on attack animation timing?

Good job!!.Well the mura can be tricky to parry especially if you opponent is unlocked and slightly facing away from you.Attempting a parry against a Mura is high risk, high reward type of situation. If you miss or get a partial be prepared to toggle escape stunlock or roll away if u can. If u can you may want to get parry practice with someone using it so you can figure out the Mura's timing since it is a wind-up weapon.

Good luck to you.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:05 am

So I was hosting in the forest and I get invaded in the forest by a guy with ornstein armor, I hit with once for a little over 400 then he starts fishing and I counter bs him but on the first hit it does 1 damage and the second 439, killing him. 1 damage? Wtf? I always do around 100 dependimg on my opponents armor, maybe steel ring? I was using the bkugs btw
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:09 am

RantFromRant wrote:So I was hosting in the forest and I get invaded in the forest by a guy with ornstein armor, I hit with once for a little over 400 then he starts fishing and I counter bs him but on the first hit it does 1 damage and the second 439, killing him. 1 damage? Wtf? I always do around 100 dependimg on my opponents armor, maybe steel ring? I was using the bkugs btw

Sounds like the game just picked a weird way to apply the damage for the rest of his health.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm