Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+49
Lancelot
Sorrow95
GrinTwist
IV_Mark_VI
Shkar
RNsunbro
Nybbles
Chr0m3
Phantasmio
Knight Alundil
Aces ovr Eights
Aramat_857
DigitaLinsanitY
matthewm7
Cynic
Bloodios
ICEFANG
tofucactaur
Darkson
Jorund
bmurn
Shabbalaba
Scirvir
Doelker
Lachsfilet
Ghadis_God
RandelOolacile
befowler
Eolan
dead_boy
roomsixteen
baby_beavis
VinheimProfessor
Rynn
Bold berthold
Dark Souls PRO
Green__Eagle
ublug
Gawain
DoughGuy
WyrmHero
BoilerFan8472
swordiris
skarekrow13
Tolvo
Isirith
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
JoeBroski09
fireLESS
53 posters

Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run

Doelker
    Doelker
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run - Page 10 Empty Re: Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run

Post by Doelker Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Rynn I have question. Are you playing pre or post patch?
    I know some messages are different in both versions and I am really surprised about the "Bonfire Unstable" Message.
    Never seen or heard of it before.
    Jorund
    Addicted
    Addicted

Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run - Page 10 Empty Re: Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run

Post by Jorund Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Wow. This is phenomenal. If you google "bonfire is unstable," there's a couple things about literal bonfires in the world or something, and then this thread. So I definitely don't think it's a very common (or even known) thing until now. Hooooly crap. I mean, I feel like it could be sort of arbitrary, like, you know, whatever, it's not really anything, but this is From, so... There's got to be some form of significance behind this. Rynn, I'm guessing you took the Dark Lord ending?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Doelker wrote:Rynn I have question. Are you playing pre or post patch?
    I know some messages are different in both versions and I am really surprised about the "Bonfire Unstable" Message.
    Never seen or heard of it before.
    I play online, so all patches are taken.

I've been taking the Dark Lord ending so no bonfires are lit.
    Jorund
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jorund Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Who else feels like the E Dragon is the key here?

If keepers tend to one but influence many, wouldn't the ones closest them stay brighter than ones further away? Which begs the question, why is the one atop the Great Hollow the dullest?

Just starting to spew thoughts now, in an attempt to spark something.

EDIT: Also in my thinky-times, what if the Rite of Kindling doesn't just kindle fires... What if it can reverse kindling too?
    I'm almost positive I'm completely wrong but I thought it was a cool idea.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Sorry guys I am a bit late at this I know but I just got really hyped now too... "UNSTABLE" BONFIRE? What? What please what is it with that what what what? Rynn did you or someone post womething about this? Please explain or direct me to the post or whatever source! I'm sorry I missed it but please I need an update aaaah

EDIT EDIT OH WAIT SORRY I found it.

Rynn wrote:
    fireLESS wrote:I KILLED another fire keeper. The ONLY remaining fire is now stone cold steve dragon.

I am convinced these unlit bonfires are getting smaller. Absolutely convinced. Can someone else confirm this? For instance, when Lautrec kills the firekeeper, do the flames visible in the UNLINKED fires get smaller?
    I have put out every single fire in my world now, I am on NG+++... the unlit bonfires no longer glow, and in fact, when I accidentally tried to light one, I got the message "The Bonfire is unstable" and it just went back out immediately.

So now I just have to ask, has anyone seen this before? What the *** just happened?

OMG are you serious?

RYNN CAN'T YOU RECORD SOMETHING?

What is wrong with you pal record something goddammmit!!! :affraid:

You should BOTH get a recorder guys really!
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:20 pm

and unfortunately, my run just got ended. I went to the bathroom, and my brother, trying to help, sat at the bonfire I was standing nearby. Look Skyward
    tofucactaur
    tofucactaur
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by tofucactaur Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Look Skyward
    omg....
    BRUTAL>>>>>>
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:24 pm

The fire went back out... so I guess I can continue?
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:30 pm

Yes this is big news.
    What about this idea. Burn that hollow tree down with the unstable fire at the top of it?

We need confirmation of unstable bonfires. Ryann said he bravely checked it a second time and it did it again. So I don't doubt him, but as a scientist, I crave confirmation from multiple sources. Time will show. Prob with confirming it is that anyone who is doing a no bonnie run (like myself or ryann) prob doesn't want to waste it on the off chance that it will light right up afterall!

It might also help to know if bonfires at other locations become unstable also. (only location we has seen this happen is at the top of great hollow, from what I understand.
    In my game, that unlit fire is noticeably faded in comparison to other unlit fires.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Rynn wrote:The fire went back out... so I guess I can continue?

Which fire was that!? Also, maybe the game is forgiving you for lighting on accident?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:40 pm

fireLESS wrote:

Which fire was that!? Also, maybe the game is forgiving you for lighting on accident?
    No, I hard shut the system down and the game forgot like 5 minutes of gameplay, this was just luck.
    Eolan
    Eolan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Eolan Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Ok so you still have an "unstable bonfire"?
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:51 pm

Rynn wrote:
    fireLESS wrote:

No, I hard shut the system down and the game forgot like 5 minutes of gameplay, this was just luck.

Okay, I see now. You were like "NOOOOO!!" and you dived to the box and turned it off. LOL. You got crazy lucky then.

This instability thing is great. I know there is something to the extinguish run.

You should arm yourself with the list I made a couple pages ago. Then attack the Edragon. Thats what my foremost goal is at the moment, and your probably much closer. Other than that, keep on keepin on!
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:51 pm

I havn't checked since I entered the next newgame. Logic would dictate "no", as the firekeepers have been restored.
    Jorund
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jorund Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 pm

We all know it's almost 100% for sure not anything to do with NG+++ etc., since Miyazaki said it's just very unlikely that someone finds it there--it was implied that it's possible. But Rynn, didn't you say you saw a very slight change in one of Lautrec's diags in one of your NG7s (maybe not the exact number, but up there) or something? Changes like that may be coincidental in some way, though.

Also, if that fire is still "unstable" in the next NG, then that's definitely something huge. I mean, I don't see why it would be back to normal, since many of the bonfires carry over. So maybe a bonfire becoming unstable is like the same thing as kindling it to 20... Again, just thought-vomiting to try and spark some thought. By far I am not completely savvy with this stuff, but I want to help in any way I can.

Fireless, Rynn, let me know if there's anything you need me to test that you guys might be too busy for, either here or in a PM. I'm on summer break and have lots of time to test things out and whatnot, whether it's no bonfire stuff or full bonfire stuff or whatever.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:05 am

Is Rynn playing as a female and fireLESS playing as a male? Since females almost always have more humanity, all the keepers are female (if the Everlasting Dragon is a keeper, have you noticed that he/she looks much different than the close up you get during the intro, maybe its a she), and humanity is stored in your bosom (as the game says). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to make the PC a female, especially if many of the things we tested actually mattered to gender...

This bonfire thing, doesn't really make sense to, "can find it in NG, but probably be in NG+", odds are if you missed it in the first game (as in, lit a bonfire), you couldn't fix it later. Is there any way to extinguish any other bonfires? If that is proven, then this becomes more likely to be true.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:15 am

The pendant was the "can find the secret in ng but likely won't" interview. If this is pendant related then play through won't matter but if there's no pendant connection all bets are off
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:41 am

*AHEM*

Rynn? Record your "unstable" bonfires? PLEASE?

I don't want to be demanding, but... yes, actually I do want to be demanding!!!!!!!!!!
    Jorund
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jorund Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 am

Does anyone know anything about the sword that is stuck in all the bonfires?
    Bloodios
    Bloodios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodios Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:21 am

Similar to Demon's Souls Archstone, nobody (I think) knows why these random swords were planted to the ground, or if they have any other purpose aside from just being plain check/warp points...
    Jorund
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Jorund Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:47 am

Interesting. Probably is arbitrary.

In my playthrough tonight I made it to Anor Londo again, and went through the Lady of the Darkling's dialogue. This in particular got me thinking:

"The bonfires attended by the keepers are special. They are linked to one another, and their flames never die. Yet never shall the keepers of these flames meet."

I think it may very well be a hint, but who knows. She does serve Gwyndolin, so naturally she would want the fires to stay lit (if my understand is wrong, please correct me.)
    Have you guys--Rynn or Fireless--noticed the "dullness" of firekeeper flames themselves? Like are they as dull as the "unstable" bonfire? Obviously their flames do die, when the firekeeper itself dies. The last part is what troubles me the most. I'm trying to figure her out exactly on that comment. Is she merely commenting on the irony of it--that the firekeepers will never meet despite all their bonfires being connected? Or is it something more? What happens if firekeepers DO meet?
    Bloodios
    Bloodios
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodios Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:07 am

Maybe at the moment they met, all of the humanities stored within their bodies will bust out, ripping them to shreds, then join together into one monstrous mass and fly away, towards the bowel of the furtive pygmy...

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure the bonfire would simply burn out without its "assigned" (?) firekeeper being nearby. Beside, how do they even meet one another? One imprisoned, the other paralyzed, and the last pretty much stuck behind the walls of Anor Londo. Grabbing their souls then putting them in my pockets doesn't seem to work either. I haven't tried letting them "meet" in my (character's) bowel though...
    Eolan
    Eolan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Eolan Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:25 am

ICEFANG wrote:Is Rynn playing as a female and fireLESS playing as a male? Since females almost always have more humanity, all the keepers are female (if the Everlasting Dragon is a keeper, have you noticed that he/she looks much different than the close up you get during the intro, maybe its a she), and humanity is stored in your bosom (as the game says). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to make the PC a female, especially if many of the things we tested actually mattered to gender...

This bonfire thing, doesn't really make sense to, "can find it in NG, but probably be in NG+", odds are if you missed it in the first game (as in, lit a bonfire), you couldn't fix it later. Is there any way to extinguish any other bonfires? If that is proven, then this becomes more likely to be true.

The point is about ng + is that for each time you finish the game, one of the bonfires will randomly extinguish. If you have already extinguished every other bonfire, then the one that will extinguish should be the ever lasting dragons.
    Eolan
    Eolan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Eolan Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:29 am

Also i have to chase this up, the term "unstable bonfire" is unheard of. Weve been speculating and guessing and testing myriad theories but none have come to anything new. The unstable bonfire is something NOONE else is talking about and considering we are looking at extinguishing the flames its massively telling. Unless Rynn is trolling or lying, this is the first step to a major dark souls secret...
    Scirvir

Post by Scirvir Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:24 am

Aye, if the 'unstable bonfire' is no BS, we need to get an expedition party to crank out a bunch of no fire toons and comb over all the details. We need a pic of that shizz 'cause a no bonny run is a pain de arse.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 7:07 pm