Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
lextune
Wade_Wilson
Yesuurd
Carphil
Rynn
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
BLA1NE
Kaminari
Forum Pirate
Darkson
PlasticandRage
ublug
T-King-667
17 posters

The RES stat

T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

The RES stat Empty The RES stat

Post by T-King-667 Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:51 am

Ive been talking to rant tonight about this stat but ive also talked to others about it in the past as well and it really bothers me that absolutely everybody says that there's no use for it. But he sad thing is, is that you guys might me right the only possible use i found it for was to be used for jolly cooperation at the beginning of the game if your making a toon strictly for helping out new players. Instead of putting in say 10 lvls into vit you would put it into res because if you have a higher vit it would be harder for your nooby teamates+1 estus to heal you (assumeing your not gonna rock any humanity or healing spells for whatever reason) Besides the above situation the only use i can see for it is for a bit of a poison resistance boost. Can somebody please say whatelse res can be good for? i hate seeing it at 10 all the damn time :/
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

The RES stat Empty Re: The RES stat

Post by ublug Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:08 am

Low level resistance boost and higher poison resistance is the only benefit as far as anyone know. Lots of players have made level 700+ toons (with 99 res), so any hidden boost to for example weapons, armor, movement speed, fall damage or spells should have been known by now.

It's similar to demons souls 'Luck' stat, which only affected item drop rate and plague resistance, but that also had a hidden modifier which increased the blueblood sword's damage.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:09 am

It's not even all that effective for poison res. I have a friend that raised his to 75 as a experiment and I poisoned him with one hit from the Gravelord Sword's R2 attack the other night.
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:48 am

^ Was he naked?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:50 am

Nothing, ever. humanity, has a blgger impact on your defence.
    Kaminari
    Kaminari
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Kaminari Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:57 am

however it's said that the resistance also boosts your base defence wich means that you should be able to decrease the gamage from meele enemies a bit with a high resistance, or am I wrong stating this?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:02 am

Diminishing returns applies to any defence over 350. Even naked, humanity, can get you to around that mark with no points in resistance. So then putting points in resistance after your defence hits 350 or so triggers diminishing returns so you'll be lucky to get 1 extra defence for any 3 points in resistance.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:29 pm

I can't think of any use for the stat.

- At high level, it's defense effects are completely negated by diminishing returns. Therefore any points spent in Res to increase your def were completely wasted. You still benefit from the poison resistance, I think... But really who's bothered by poison at high level anyway?

- At mid and low level, it makes a slight impact on defense (I say slight because armor makes a much more significant difference), but it's not so much what it does at this level that's the issue, but what it doesn't do. Those points you spent in Res could be much better spent in any other stat. If you don't want to raise your Vit for the valid reason you posted in your OP, then raising Att, End, Str, Dex, Int, or Fth, would still be a much more worthwhile use of the few precious soul levels you have in a low-mid level build.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Allright from sitting here thinking way too much ive thought out a way res can be usefull. Okay make a Deprived class (or a man eater mildred build) or any unarmourd build and bring your str, res, vit, and end to 40 then by the end of it all your natural phys def should be at about 300+ ( i think) without any armour to diminish the stat.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:19 pm

hmm... fast roll, decent armor, 40 poise with ring... steel ring too or maybe ring of favor?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Humanity 99 humanity will give you comprable defense without the stat investment. you'd be better of with higher vit.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:Humanity 99 humanity will give you comprable defense without the stat investment. you'd be better of with higher vit.
    This.

Unless you're planning on making it a power within & red tearstone ring, which would die in 1 hit anyways, so no need for defense to begin with...

But have a look (I made it warrior because deprived is good for nothing):

- SL115, 40 Res: http://tinyurl.com/6ppwugk
    - SL115, base res: http://tinyurl.com/7xx5q7d (I put Att to make it a neutral ground)

1 point difference in Def...
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Every Humanity is applied as a point of res, making Res the most useless stat in the entire game.

Unless Res increases unarmed damage, it has no point.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Just bring blueblood sword back big grin
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:39 pm

I think resistance should have been related to poise, that would have been a great thing.
    But I would have done it like attunement which does not raise 1 point with every added level.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:46 pm

Yesuurd wrote:I think resistance should have been related to poise, that would have been a great thing.
    But I would have done it like attunement which does not raise 1 point with every added level.
    yeah i actually thought about this the other day, makeing res (every 2 stats or so) increase your poise by 1 (20 by the time you reach lvl40) then res would be worth it for me, But that wont stop me from trying im gonna make a theif build or a deprived build and get my res to 40 and see what happens. Call me stubborn but ima detirmand man damnit.
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:50 pm

I support that decision and let me know what u find out, who knows right? it is highly unprobable that a stat could be so unusable, heck I might even make one build to and see what happens.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Darkson wrote:^ Was he naked?

No, but he wasn't wearing armor that's all that effective. It was his Crestfallen Warrior build. So he was in all Chain and no helmet. It shouldn't really matter though. The RES stat by definition should effectively raise your RES and protect you from it.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:21 pm

They should have made resistance stat give a % chance for attacks to stagger off you like they were deflected from a greatshield, or raise your default poise (without armour).
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Wade_Wilson wrote:They should have made resistance stat give a % chance for attacks to stagger off you like they were deflected from a greatshield, or raise your default poise (without armour).
    Yeah i actually like the deflection idea, Maybe it can be doubled with poise increase? i dont think you should be able to bounce sombodys sword off of yo uif you cant even withstand the attack itsself.
    Update: my res is at 30 and that is the only stat i upgraded so far (everything else is at 11) and im actually kind of surprised, Im still not wearing any armour and on the dragon bridge just after you meet solaire it takes the dragon 4 fire breaths to kill me (fire defense is at 86 and im not wearing rofap) and im able to take quite a beating from most enimys (phy def is at 75) im actually kind of suprised i havent died once yet and im on my way to the depths.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Maybe RES has a hidden modifier to the defense formula? I'll have to test that.

EDIT: When I get home today, I'm gonna BB some Great Souls over to a char, and get it to 40 RES right off the bat, and see how my survivability changes. I'll keep leveling up my res and see if it has some modifier outside of what HP normally gives.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:04 pm

Rynn wrote:Maybe RES has a hidden modifier to the defense formula? I'll have to test that.

EDIT: When I get home today, I'm gonna BB some Great Souls over to a char, and get it to 40 RES right off the bat, and see how my survivability changes. I'll keep leveling up my res and see if it has some modifier outside of what HP normally gives.
    Well you have to remember too that if your phy defence is 350+ res will barly increase anything besides poison resistance so my plan was to bring res, vit,str and end to 40 and then my phy defence should be 200+ then ima throw on my armour and see how it goes. 200 and some maxed armour sets prvide like allmost 300 physical defence so like 500 total? not bad.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:24 pm

T-King-667 wrote:
    Rynn wrote:Maybe RES has a hidden modifier to the defense formula? I'll have to test that.

Well you have to remember too that if your phy defence is 350+ res will barly increase anything besides poison resistance so my plan was to bring res, vit,str and end to 40 and then my phy defence should be 200+ then ima throw on my armour and see how it goes. 200 and some maxed armour sets prvide like allmost 300 physical defence so like 500 total? not bad.
    550 defense can be reached with 0 res. I'm testing if RES has a secret modifier outside of the pure defense number.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Rynn wrote:
    T-King-667 wrote:

550 defense can be reached with 0 res. I'm testing if RES has a secret modifier outside of the pure defense number.
    It was just a guesstimate im sure ill figure out some sort of use for it when im done upgrading.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:43 pm

Unless there is a hidden modifier on res, you won't. You get an extra 12 points from it with the best armor.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:02 pm