Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
mugenis4real
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Seignar
7 posters

The very Casul Mage's Guide to Sorceries

Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

The very Casul Mage's Guide to Sorceries Empty The very Casul Mage's Guide to Sorceries

Post by Seignar Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:29 pm

Why is this called the "Casul Mage's Guide to Sorceries"?

Because, my dear reader, I am no "hardcore" wizard. I have experience with the ways of the Dragon Arts, but I am not a dedicated learner like Logan. I don't know how to effectively use White Dragon's Breath, I won't ever bother learning how to aim it. I do, however, know the basics of how to "lightly" use magic without having to go in depth with it.

What will you be talking about?

Magic."You don't say!?", yeah sure, whatever...you asked. To be more detailed, I will be talking about basic INT breakpoints. You don't need 50 INT to call yourself a Wizard, a die-hard Wizard maybe. I will write about how to get the most out of your magic without having to spent too many points.

What am I to expect?

You're to expect a very lazy guide about me lightly touching what points would be the wisest to reach in regards to your INT in order for you not lose points. You're not to expect some guides about how to use the Dragon Arts or what builds are good or bad. You're to hear me give light information on INT breakpoints and magic so you know exactly what you want for your build.

Why did you make this?

Because I was bored and have too much free time! Stop questioning me!

So let's get started?

Let's talk about Breakpoints (The only topic present). The world of the Dragon Arts is very diverse, ranging from offensive to support magic. It is important to know what your INT stat should be at so you don't get any wasted points. If you plan going full mage then your stat should be 50 INT, otherwise, take a look at these:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

_+_+_+_+_+
    Past this point there are no more breakpoints. There is no reason to stop at 44 or 50 unless you're trying to be a Logan and maximize your damage, which is not the domain of this thread. In reality, I would only recommend up to breakpoint 18 if you plan on being melee oriented and to 36 if you plan to mix range with melee.

That concludes the very Casul Mage's guide to Sorcery The very Casul Mage's Guide to Sorceries 187739277.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

The very Casul Mage's Guide to Sorceries Empty Re: The very Casul Mage's Guide to Sorceries

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Seignar wrote: poultry damage.
    The very Casul Mage's Guide to Sorceries Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnjMPWpf_3W3huBK9aMYPdyjBeMrPi6zPHJO_ZYxYOIGrqZgWG

Just kidding, nice guide. I may disagree a little bit with some things, but, by and large, it's superb work. winking
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

The very Casul Mage's Guide to Sorceries Empty Re: The very Casul Mage's Guide to Sorceries

Post by mugenis4real Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:46 pm

Not bad. happy
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:47 pm

An enjoyable read, to say the least. silly
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:38 am

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:
    The very Casul Mage's Guide to Sorceries Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnjMPWpf_3W3huBK9aMYPdyjBeMrPi6zPHJO_ZYxYOIGrqZgWG

Just kidding, nice guide. I may disagree a little bit with some things, but, by and large, it's superb work. winking
    With just what do you disagree with? This is no good criticism if you don't tell me what it is!
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:46 am

Seignar wrote:
    WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:

With just what do you disagree with? This is no good criticism if you don't tell me what it is!

Just 2 things, really: In your 14 INT breakpoint you don't mention Hidden Weapon, I've never really experimented with the spell much but there are some players who swear by it. And you go up 36 INT but you don't put in HCSM as a listed spell yet you list an 18 INT version of HSM, why the discrepancy?
    morte
    morte
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by morte Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:22 am

What does hidden weapon even do? It strike me as superfluousness to hidden body and the fog ring, but I've never put any real stock in it. Does it let you use a str weapon with 1 hand and gain momentary surprise? strikes me as a waste of a good attunement slot.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:28 am

morte wrote:What does hidden weapon even do? It strike me as superfluousness to hidden body and the fog ring, but I've never put any real stock in it. Does it let you use a str weapon with 1 hand and gain momentary surprise? strikes me as a waste of a good attunement slot.

Well, it makes your weapon completely invisible, so your enemy will not be able to see what weapon you are using (although most experienced people will be able to see from your animations anyway). Also it makes it a little difficult for them to estimate the range of your weapon.

So yeah, it has its uses, but mostly just against the inexperienced.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:34 am

IMO, Hidden Weapon doesn't warrant a mention unless we are talking real invasions. Experienced players will already know your weapon class by the way your character's arms are placed and with that they have more or less an idea of your moveset. The second you perform an attack, they will already know your moveset and your weapon if you do one of the unique moves. It doesn't provide any benefits aside from initial surprise factor if you manage to get it.

Also, I didn't mention Crystal Soulmass because it is pretty logical for you to upgrade to Crystal, so much it didn't warrant a mention. The reason I did this for Great/Not-Great Magic Weapon/Shield is because two are a usually overlooked options for extremely low investment and the other two because they are good and worthy of a mention. CHSM simply found itself near a more important magic: CMW, which I had to clarify why it needs a breakpoint at 36 and not 25. But, it is pretty obvious to go with CHSM after 24 for way too obvious reasons
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:39 am

Here is an example of Hidden Weapon being used in a non-surprise manner (about 00:40 sec in).

Not endorsing the video or anything, just showing off an example.

O1va_
    O1va_
    Regular
    Regular

Post by O1va_ Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:25 am

Couple of things that I disagree with:

18: There is absolutely no reason for this, because you get one orb with the base requirement, not really worth anything.

I would add 32: TCC, and you get pursuers and homing soul masses get their full 5 orb potential. Very good if you want a strong buff and a preassuring spell.

Also 40: Diminishing returns start is you're using moonlight weapons, velkas rapier and enchanted weapons.

44 and 45 are good break points, 44 for CSS and with 45 you get to logans catalyst full potential.

50: Only if you want white dragon breath. No other reason to go there.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:51 am

My mind is not changed Pendant. I'll test the magic out myself and see how it works.
    O1va_ wrote:Couple of things that I disagree with:

18: There is absolutely no reason for this, because you get one orb with the base requirement, not really worth anything.

I
    would add 32: TCC, and you get pursuers and homing soul masses get
    their full 5 orb potential. Very good if you want a strong buff and a
    preassuring spell.

Also 40: Diminishing returns start is you're using moonlight weapons, velkas rapier and enchanted weapons.

44 and 45 are good break points, 44 for CSS and with 45 you get to logans catalyst full potential.

50: Only if you want white dragon breath. No other reason to go there.
    Actually, you get 2 at 18 INT, but thank you for pointing out my flawed argument. I shall update the breakpoints (and this time CHSM will get the mention).

I would want to reconsider the 36 breakpoint considering that 4 points could be vital for some builds and people might just prefer GSA for its extra casts. I'll update that part. Also, I would rather not list breakpoints past 36, except for 40, because I don't find them very helpful considering you only get power boosts from there on out for some big investments. They are not very important points.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:27 pm