Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+34
Yukon
Skinless
Bito
Reaperfan
Forum Pirate
mofomey
Po1ymorph
FruitPunchNinja
Pargar-theGreat
Kaksoppa
reim0027
HavocDrive2600
befowler
Gol
russiannightmare
Midgar
Yesuurd
ErrJon6661
Artorias
Tolvo
Emergence
aceluby
WarriorOfSunlight
Carphil
Lancelot
Liff Daddy
bloodpixel
strangejoy
JY4answer
Henkyona
Serious_Much
LordRevan
Maneater_Mildred
Back Lot Basher
38 posters

Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs...

Poll

If you had the choice to take backstabs out of the game, would you?

[ 43 ]
    Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs... - Page 4 I_vote_lcap64%Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs... - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [64%] 
    [ 24 ]
    Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs... - Page 4 I_vote_lcap36%Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs... - Page 4 I_vote_rcap [36%] 

Total Votes: 67
    Gol
    Gol
    Addicted
    Addicted

Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs... - Page 4 Empty Re: Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs...

Post by Gol Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:59 pm

Yeah, I was just talking about the game, not people's preferences but honestly I find there's a lot of people doing pvp, far more than in DeS.
    johnnyjwa
    johnnyjwa
    Addicted
    Addicted

Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs... - Page 4 Empty Re: Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs...

Post by johnnyjwa Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Voted yes. Remove backstabs from pvp only.

Everytime i roll away from someone,turn around, then get pulled back to them and backstabbed i die a little on the inside. I also agree about making the hitboxes smaller in general for pvp only. My only worry is From is going to devote most of their time to developing (hopefully!) the next game in the franchise and dark souls is going to stay as in for awhile.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:32 pm

johnnyjwa wrote:Voted yes. Remove backstabs from pvp only.

Everytime i roll away from someone,turn around, then get pulled back to them and backstabbed i die a little on the inside. I also agree about making the hitboxes smaller in general for pvp only. My only worry is From is going to devote most of their time to developing (hopefully!) the next game in the franchise and dark souls is going to stay as in for awhile.

I see you're a first poster, welcome to the forums! I agree that no really major changes should be made to Dark Souls, but there are definitely some balance tweaks for PvP that need dealing with still :|
    Artorias
    Artorias
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Artorias Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:36 pm

johnnyjwa wrote:Voted yes. Remove backstabs from pvp only.

Thats not the bs fault its lag
    Artorias
    Artorias
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Artorias Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Why is every one complaining on bs? sure it might be strong but everyone can do and most of the due its due to lag that you are "cheaply bsed" from should of made actual severs instead of the p2p system. From will never remove bs! Because that would make daggers useless, instead it should be that large weapons have a small crit and you cant back stab with weps if they are buffed
    johnnyjwa
    johnnyjwa
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by johnnyjwa Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I do realize its lag most of the time and i mainly wanted to voice my opinion and vent some frustration. =) The kiln has been merciless today with the lagstabs and people attacking me while bowing.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:46 pm

Artorias wrote:Why is every one complaining on bs? sure it might be strong but everyone can do and most of the due its due to lag that you are "cheaply bsed" from should of made actual severs instead of the p2p system

We complain about backstabs because of one simple reason. Backstabs are something that FROM can fix, while lag isn't. We pretty much all realize the problem that makes backstabs abusable is lag, but lag is the result of the way current information networking works, and is the result of technology outside of FROM's control. FROM will never be able to "fix" lag unless they develop an entirely new process for devices to wirelessly share data at instantaneous speeds. We complain about backstabs because they are something FROM has control over. They can't stop lag from making cheap backstabs possible, but they can tweak the numbers of their game's system so that cheap backstabs are not abusable. As to your second point, servers are expensive, and last I checked FROM is a relatively small company. Unless you want them to shut down the Demon's Souls servers and move all Dark Souls traffic to those I don't think they can really afford to get more between keeping up the Demon's Souls servers as well as keeping production on their other franchises going. I believe the fact that they kept the Demon's Souls servers running for as long as they did actually almost put them out of business before Dark Souls' release, and it was because of this they decided on the P2P system with Dark Souls so that they could afford to keep both games active in terms of online availability since the online contributes alot to the experience of playing the game.
    Gol
    Gol
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Gol Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:24 am

Gol wrote:- remove BS for large and extra large weps
    - smaller hitbox
    - Hornet ring : Makes the hitbox larger or boosts only the daggers BS.

Problem solved.

JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:45 am

I don't mind backstabs, if there was no lag in online play nobody would ever complain about them! Well, no apt PvPers, anyway.

If you're having trouble with lagstabbers, I'd recommend trying to host fights. It is a double edged sword, as if you die it costs a Humanity to revive, but I find the mechanics simply work in your favor - spells work infinitely better while hosting, bows as well, and I find lagstabs landed against me are much fewer and further between.

Most of the weapons I prefer to use have crappy backstab damage, anyway, though, so if you lose against me it most likely didn't have to do with a backstab.
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:44 am

To fix the back stabs it is simple lower the hit boxes and remove the ability to back stab with certain weapons

My votes go to- Anyweapon with the word 'great' in it's classification. Hammers, curved swords, clubs, axes and anystraight sword that isn't a rapier type weapon.
    kiwi_commander
    kiwi_commander
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by kiwi_commander Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 am

BS are fine. However, I would suggest limiting them to certain weapons such as daggers, short swords, and small hammers. Getting a backstab with a weapon as tall as the empire state is dumb.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
    Artorias wrote:Why is every one complaining on bs? sure it might be strong but everyone can do and most of the due its due to lag that you are "cheaply bsed" from should of made actual severs instead of the p2p system

We complain about backstabs because of one simple reason. Backstabs are something that FROM can fix, while lag isn't. We pretty much all realize the problem that makes backstabs abusable is lag, but lag is the result of the way current information networking works, and is the result of technology outside of FROM's control. FROM will never be able to "fix" lag unless they develop an entirely new process for devices to wirelessly share data at instantaneous speeds. We complain about backstabs because they are something FROM has control over. They can't stop lag from making cheap backstabs possible, but they can tweak the numbers of their game's system so that cheap backstabs are not abusable. As to your second point, servers are expensive, and last I checked FROM is a relatively small company. Unless you want them to shut down the Demon's Souls servers and move all Dark Souls traffic to those I don't think they can really afford to get more between keeping up the Demon's Souls servers as well as keeping production on their other franchises going. I believe the fact that they kept the Demon's Souls servers running for as long as they did actually almost put them out of business before Dark Souls' release, and it was because of this they decided on the P2P system with Dark Souls so that they could afford to keep both games active in terms of online availability since the online contributes alot to the experience of playing the game.

Actually, I think Atlus runs the DeS servers. Namco/Bandai would more than likely be the ones who would run the servers, but my guess is that it was developed as not needing servers because they didn't have a publisher yet or to keep publishing costs down to entice a new publisher. This is just conjecture though.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:47 pm

aceluby wrote:Actually, I think Atlus runs the DeS servers. Namco/Bandai would more than likely be the ones who would run the servers, but my guess is that it was developed as not needing servers because they didn't have a publisher yet or to keep publishing costs down to entice a new publisher. This is just conjecture though.

Good points. Either way, the fact remains that they established Dark Souls to be played without dedicated servers as a way to save costs. With the success of Dark Souls (and maybe Armored Core V, but I haven't been following that game very well honestly), they will likely have more options and freedom with publishers for future titles, and will either improve upon the P2P system, or simply be able to get more servers. Either way, we can most likely expect improvements in upcoming games happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:11 am