Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+34
Yukon
Skinless
Bito
Reaperfan
Forum Pirate
mofomey
Po1ymorph
FruitPunchNinja
Pargar-theGreat
Kaksoppa
reim0027
HavocDrive2600
befowler
Gol
russiannightmare
Midgar
Yesuurd
ErrJon6661
Artorias
Tolvo
Emergence
aceluby
WarriorOfSunlight
Carphil
Lancelot
Liff Daddy
bloodpixel
strangejoy
JY4answer
Henkyona
Serious_Much
LordRevan
Maneater_Mildred
Back Lot Basher
38 posters

Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs...

Poll

If you had the choice to take backstabs out of the game, would you?

[ 43 ]
    Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap64%Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [64%] 
    [ 24 ]
    Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs... - Page 2 I_vote_lcap36%Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [36%] 

Total Votes: 67
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs... - Page 2 Empty Re: Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs...

Post by Serious_Much Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Emergence wrote:I should clarify. Poise is not a problem, but one could argue that the balance to poise is a backstab. With a limited hitbox, one could simply swing large weapons wildly without fear of leaving one's back exposed. That could easily tilt the tenuous balance in favor of the greatswords which is already a grumbled about weapon class. If you decrease the ability of poise to resist certain weapons, I think you would see a decrease in the Giant's/Greatsword combo.

That's true, and then the other side of that is reducing poise slightly brings in higher use of fast weapons that can still stunlock...

I think this whole debate we have just shows how much of a nightmare the devs have trying to balance a game for people as demanding as our community seems to be :|

glad they seem to want work despite all this. Umbasa Prayer and Praise the Sun Praise the Sun
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs... - Page 2 Empty Re: Suppose From offered a communty vote to remove backstabs...

Post by Emergence Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:40 pm

That's kind of my broader point. I don't have the vanity to profess an exact answer, I argue that you could really play devil's advocate on literally every game mechanic. Heck even the 120 cap is not beyond scrutiny. I think a true and proper poll question would be "Regardless of win/lose, after a pvp session, do you feel the outcomes are controllable or arbitrary?"

Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:44 pm

I will let you all guess what I voted....
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:38 am

Emergence wrote:That's kind of my broader point. I don't have the vanity to profess an exact answer, I argue that you could really play devil's advocate on literally every game mechanic. Heck even the 120 cap is not beyond scrutiny. I think a true and proper poll question would be "Regardless of win/lose, after a pvp session, do you feel the outcomes are controllable or arbitrary?"

They are certainly controllable. I love the game, and I honestly wouldn't want to change much of anything. That said, my second build was a heavy armor + elemental rapier + hornets ring + DWGR. Maybe it was the fact that I was playing against noobs, maybe it's poise, or backstabs, or a combo of all of the above, but I won almost every match, and I backstabbed the hell out of my opponents. My builds are more "sophisticated" now, but my win rate is actually significantly lower. The question for me is: is there a balance between builds in terms of gameplay? I would submit that the answer is no. If you want to win, heavy armor plus high crit weapon wins the day. Run through your opponents attacks and backstab. It's a bit of an art, but it only takes a few days to master. Once you've got it down, it's a piece of cake, although it's also boring as hell.

I would submit that poise was implemented imperfectly, to say the least. You shouldn't be able to automatically stunlock every time you swing a claymore, but you also shouldn't be able to run through heavy attacks to get a crit. The parry scene is getting heavy enough that only a fool would mash R1 with a greatsword, regardless of backstabs. Also, chipping greatsword or BKGA R1 mashers isn't particularly difficult if you're using DWGR. I do it all the time with a moonlight horn. I often lose for some other reason, but I'm never worried about the R1 greatsword spamming.
    Midgar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Midgar Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:46 am

Lol sad how many people think BS should stay when you can easily 1-2 shot someone with something that is ridiculously easy to do. WoW takes more skill then DS and that's saying a lot...
    Lancelot
    Lancelot
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Lancelot Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:52 am

strangejoy wrote:It's a good game mechanic, IMO, so it should stay. But where are you getting this "realism" stuff? In real life, there isn't anything particularly awesome about hitting someone in the back unless you surprise them. Surprise allows you to target a vital organ. Without surprise, hitting someone in the back is no better than hitting them in the chest or the stomach. Thus, in heated combat, "backstabs" make absolutely no sense, which is precisely why no armed fighting style in the world has ever advocating circling round and round your opponent to tag their back. Backstabs in this game are insanely unrealistic. That doesn't mean they should go away (we don't play games to emulate real life), but let's not talk about realism.

Thanks for your opinion.

Maybe backstabbing isn't really relevant to the realism concept, but, as you said, a "surprise" is what is most realistic. Sneaking up and backstabbing is more realistic, other than rolling around the opponent, who is completely aware of you, and backstabbing; that is unrealistic.

I completely agree with you.
    russiannightmare
    russiannightmare
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by russiannightmare Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:53 am

I voted to keep them. Yes they are abused in pvp and personally I think the hornet ring could be removed so no more one shot BS kills if you have a respectable amount of health and a smaller window would be fine to. But when invading jumpers the BS can be your best friend so I'd say it should stay
    Gol
    Gol
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Gol Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:10 am

- remove BS for large and extra large weps
    - smaller hitbox
    - Hornet ring : Makes the hitbox larger or boosts only the daggers BS.

Problem solved.
    Artorias
    Artorias
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Artorias Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Midgar wrote:Lol sad how many people think BS should stay when you can easily 1-2 shot someone with something that is ridiculously easy to do. WoW takes more skill then DS and that's saying a lot...

Bro 90% of the dks community plays offline and bs may help them alot on higher ngs. The pvp community makes up about 10% so nothing will be changed according to our opinion, Although i think the game is just fine with them included. And from wouldnt include anything they thought was cheap. Why does everyone always complain about thing they cant handle :?:
    WarriorOfSunlight
    WarriorOfSunlight
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by WarriorOfSunlight Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Midgar wrote:Lol sad how many people think BS should stay when you can easily 1-2 shot someone with something that is ridiculously easy to do. WoW takes more skill then DS and that's saying a lot...
    Somebody is forgetting this is a pve game with some limited online pvp elements. I'm starting to doubt how many people actually played Demon's Souls back in the day, there were no extremist complaints about the bs.
    Artorias
    Artorias
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Artorias Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:46 pm

WarriorOfSunlight wrote:
    Somebody is forgetting this is a pve game with some limited online pvp elements. I'm starting to doubt how many people actually played Demon's Souls back in the day, there were no extremist complaints about the bs.
    I completely agree cheers
    Ah back in the demon souls days big grin
    WarriorOfSunlight
    WarriorOfSunlight
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by WarriorOfSunlight Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Artorias wrote:
    WarriorOfSunlight wrote:
    I completely agree cheers
    Ah back in the demon souls days big grin
    Good to see some sanity in these parts, people seem to forget there's more than pvp to do post completion of the story. Praise the Sun
    Good to see a fellow DeS vet! Umbasa.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:33 pm

I think there are some ways to fix the mechanics without removing it.

1) Have backstabs be interruptible by another attacker or effect, or

2) Have backstabs only work if target currently has 50% or less stamina or something, otherwise why would they just stand there like an idiot while they wind up on you, or

3) Nerf poise. Often a lame backstab is just the symptom of a larger problem with poise where someone wearing Giants and the wolf ring can ignore 2-3 sword swings while they just sprint around and pivot BS you. There are people whose entire PvP skillset seems to consist of nothing but this. They don't even put their shield up when they run through your attacks because that might actually slow them down with a deflection.

If none of those are possible, then remove them because they're broken. I'll occasionally see weird effects where a spell or weapon seems to miss you but you still take damage, but nothing anywhere close to the level of constant, insane glitches I see with BSs. Last night I had one in anotherwise totally lag free fight where not only was I behind the guy who backstabbed me, but even the BS animation had me behind him. He was literally stabbing and kicking air while facing a different direction, while I fell down and died 5 feet behind him going the other way. The only way it made any sense was if there was a good 3 second lag in the fight, but only for backstabs.
    HavocDrive2600
    HavocDrive2600

Post by HavocDrive2600 Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 am

2) Have backstabs only work if target currently has 50% or less stamina or something, otherwise why would they just stand there like an idiot while they wind up on you, or
    Would make the most sense to me, what decent warrior would let their opponent casually stroll behind them unless they were relatively exhausted and unable to follow their movements effectively.
    An alternative could be using the PvE mechanic where certain enemies have the ability constrict you into a damaging grapple, which can be escaped by mashing the shoulder buttons. There's been a few enjoyable games that have had similar mechanics such as: Dead Space 2 online. Mashing buttons for dear life is more fun when it fails than simply having a player walk up, freeze you and stick a knife in your back without any way to counter it.silly
    Artorias
    Artorias
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Artorias Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:17 pm

HavocDrive2600 wrote:
    Would make the most sense to me, what decent warrior would let their opponent casually stroll behind them unless they were relatively exhausted and unable to follow their movements effectively.
    An alternative could be using the PvE mechanic where certain enemies have the ability constrict you into a damaging grapple, which can be escaped by mashing the shoulder buttons. There's been a few enjoyable games that have had similar mechanics such as: Dead Space 2 online. Mashing buttons for dear life is more fun when it fails than simply having a player walk up, freeze you and stick a knife in your back without any way to counter it.silly

That might work in pve but in pvp everyone will just mash the buttins making bs almost useless
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:15 am

I voted yes. But, a smaller hitbox would be great. I love BS, even for dueling. If I know someone may BS me, then the fight is all the more adrenaline pumping.

BUT - BS spamming or fishing is crap. I define spamming as you are constantly going for BS. Waiting for an attack and BS them. Not doing much other attacks, just baiting and responding. Fishing is similar, but mainly strafing until a pivot BS can be done. For either techniques, the fight becomes very boring and predictable.
    Kaksoppa
    Kaksoppa
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Kaksoppa Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:20 pm

No, but they could nerf it heavily without me caring much. Maybe scale down the damage based on how heavy your armor is. I don't know.

EDIT: Scale down the damage you do based on how heavy your armor is.
    Pargar-theGreat
    Pargar-theGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pargar-theGreat Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:32 am

the dex builds need to be able to deal crits there are to many other ways to die in the same amount of time, but an adjustment of damage dealt wouldn't be awful
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:18 pm

i would not like to see backstabs removed. This is a very deep game involving more strategy then most are willing to admit. i got backstabed like crazy when i first started playing but now i almost never do unless i have a major slip up or facing a very skilled player. i do agree that huge str weapons should have a much smaller hit box. this may seem off topic but i think its related, dwgr allows a lot of those tank builds with bkga to pull off those backstabs do to the fact they are able to move around so quick( i dont think we would see nearly as many bkga backstabs without dwgr). if i voted to remove a single thing thing from Dark Souls it would be dark wood grain ring(dont get me wrong i use it in everyone of my builds i just think it changes the pvp for the worse)
    Midgar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Midgar Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:53 pm

WarriorOfSunlight wrote:

As far as I remember there was no hornet's ring in Demons and you couldn't get one shotted by a backstab, that's where the difference lies. Not to mention there were far more things to complain about in Demon's, people always whined when I used the Stormruler, others complained about infinite grass which is pretty much limitless health, others about that weapon that degraded your weapons/armor into being useless.

But really it's pointless to argue, nothing will be changed in the end and there are other games to play that have far better PvP or PvE.

At this point I just run away from anyone fishing for BS, twop, use the mobs, knock them off a cliff, oh well if they complain. I just find it pretty ridiculous that someone complains to me about using tactics like that when they are trying to one shot me doing something that takes virtually no skill.

Edit: But yes you are right, this game is geared far more towards PvE, that much is definitely true, that was actually the reason I first started playing. Just the sheer difficulty on your first playthrough.
    Po1ymorph
    Po1ymorph

Post by Po1ymorph Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:19 pm

I don't think it is purely backstabs most people have a problem with. It's the extremely frustrating lag-stab. I have very rarely ever been backstabed by someone who is actually behind me (on my screen). All of a sudden it's "warp" backstab "wtf". Even through scenery and around corners.

I do not know if FROM could do it, but linking the ability to perform a backstab to the Poise bar. So if you take a hit you can not perform a backstab.

Probably the best option.
    mofomey
    mofomey
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by mofomey Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:58 pm

how about weapon specifics:
    clubs: are for smashing
    great swords: for hacking and slashing
    axes: well for axing
    small knives: riposte and backstabs.
    spears ...etc.
    a well executed bs is awesome (even if its on me), if im holding a huge axe and someone with a tiny dagger rolls past my attack spins and stabs me in the back, i think its great. although ive only encountered this a few times compared to hundreds of times if had the great scythe shoved thru my body..my vote keep them but make bs specific weapons(daggers) as well as add the animation of the lower burg assasins. jumping on someones shoulders and shoving your knife in there face!!!! best anime in the game.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:05 pm

I know the squeaky wheel gets the grease guys, but the car that whines 24/7 get sold to the junk yard and crushed.
    Artorias
    Artorias
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Artorias Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:05 pm

lol
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:22 pm

Actually my main beef with backstabs are the people who can only use backstab to win. It's just annoying when you meet 20000 poise stabbers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 am