Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Jovias-86
DarkW17
DoughGuy
PinkMage
Idoloni_Belli
9 posters

Are spears "cheap?"

Idoloni_Belli
    Idoloni_Belli

Are spears "cheap?" Empty Are spears "cheap?"

Post by Idoloni_Belli Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:46 am

This is the build I'm currently using. http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=2173102708333714

I've been pvping for the past couple hours in the Burg, Parish and Kiln, and I've recieved messages from six different people claiming spears were a cheap weapon and it took no skill to use.

Granted, I've killed more than a few people without taking a hit, but I feel like spears are kind of easy to counter with all this roll backstabbing going on.
    PinkMage
    PinkMage

Are spears "cheap?" Empty Re: Are spears "cheap?"

Post by PinkMage Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:48 am

Idoloni_Belli wrote:
    Granted, I've killed more than a few people without taking a hit.

nah you're just so good at the game that you have reached a point where you have to do some self reflection and decide whether it's time to train someone as your prodigy or lay down your weapons in favor of a pacifist lifestyle.
    Idoloni_Belli
    Idoloni_Belli

Post by Idoloni_Belli Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:50 am

PinkMage wrote:nah you're just so good at the game that you have reached a point where you have to do some self reflection and decide whether it's time to train someone as your prodigy or lay down your weapons in favor of a pacifist lifestyle.

Lol I'm not very good at all, the people I kill without taking a hit are usually silly builds with no poise or cosplay builds.
    PinkMage
    PinkMage

Post by PinkMage Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:51 am

Idoloni_Belli wrote:
    PinkMage wrote:nah you're just so good at the game that you have reached a point where you have to do some self reflection and decide whether it's time to train someone as your prodigy or lay down your weapons in favor of a pacifist lifestyle.

Lol I'm not very good at all, the people I kill without taking a hit are usually silly builds with no poise or cosplay builds.

No need to play that way, i can read your power level with my scouter. You are one of the chosen just like me.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:54 am

You're a vit gouged spear build, and spears are one of the easiest weapons ot use well by turtling. Obviosuly it would be annoying to fight a build and people are just venting. Ignore them and keep playing. Spears arent cheap.
    PinkMage
    PinkMage

Post by PinkMage Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:55 am

DoughGuy wrote:You're a vit gouged spear build, and spears are one of the easiest weapons ot use well by turtling.

Turtling is one of the hardest skills to master in the souls games.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:57 am

You mean holding l1 and you tap r1? Its extremely easy to use, thats why a lot of people do it.
    Idoloni_Belli
    Idoloni_Belli

Post by Idoloni_Belli Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:00 am

DoughGuy wrote:You're a vit gouged spear build, and spears are one of the easiest weapons ot use well by turtling. Obviosuly it would be annoying to fight a build and people are just venting. Ignore them and keep playing. Spears arent cheap.

Yeah, I dislike turtling. I always two-hand my spear, it's why I never put enough strength to one-hand in my spear builds. The rapier is for ripostes when I take a risk for the parry.

Is vit gouging looked down upon in PvP?

Last edited by Idoloni_Belli on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:00 am

Lol from Wyrms thread to this one...holy fn spears batman
    silly

Nothings cheap and evrything can be countered they are sore loser IMO....poke away man big grin
    PinkMage
    PinkMage

Post by PinkMage Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:02 am

DoughGuy wrote:You mean holding l1 and you tap r1? Its extremely easy to use, thats why a lot of people do it.

*gigantic alarm goes off in doughboy's ear* nope you obviously don't know anything about it. Turtling requires the knowledge of parries, mind games, meta game glitches, roll backstabs, terrain, dodging dead angles, tap blocking against claymores, avoidance of pyro techniques, high and low block techniques, kick attacks, jumping out of harms way, pivot backstabs, thunder blabing, and it's one of the hardest styles to see the opposing player with because your always getting rushed.

If you can master turtling you can win any tournament ever i guarantee it buddy.
    PinkMage
    PinkMage

Post by PinkMage Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:03 am

Idoloni_Belli wrote:

only by people who can't pvp correctly.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:03 am

Idoloni_Belli wrote:
    DoughGuy wrote:You're a vit gouged spear build, and spears are one of the easiest weapons ot use well by turtling. Obviosuly it would be annoying to fight a build and people are just venting. Ignore them and keep playing. Spears arent cheap.

Yeah, I dislike turtling. I always two-hand my spear, it's why I never put enough strength to one-hand in my spear builds. The rapier is for ripostes when I take a risk for the parry.

Okay, it was unclear from your build that you werent turtling. If yuo are 2 handing a spear thats fine, takes more skill to do that. Its still easish, but you are a lot more vulnerable. Vit gouging isnt looked down upon, its, just like turtling, annoying to fight someone with 50% more hp with you. In many players eyes elemental builds take away the penalty for having a high vit. Its nothing to worry about though, you do slightly less damage in return and cant buff, so you can be countered.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:05 am

PinkMage wrote:
    DoughGuy wrote:You mean holding l1 and you tap r1? Its extremely easy to use, thats why a lot of people do it.

*gigantic alarm goes off in doughboy's ear* nope you obviously don't know anything about it. Turtling requires the knowledge of parries, mind games, meta game glitches, roll backstabs, terrain, dodging dead angles, tap blocking against claymores, avoidance of pyro techniques, high and low block techniques, kick attacks, jumping out of harms way, pivot backstabs, thunder blabing, and it's one of the hardest styles to see the opposing player with because your always getting rushed.

If you can master turtling you can win any tournament ever i guarantee it buddy.
    No it requires holding l1 as you tap r1. You ae overthinking the amount of thought pur into pvp by most players. If you master any technique you can win in any tournament ever. Turlting is easy, hence lots of people do it.
    PinkMage
    PinkMage

Post by PinkMage Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:11 am

DoughGuy wrote:

Okay, it was unclear from your build that you werent turtling. If yuo are 2 handing a spear thats fine, takes more skill to do that. Its still easish, but you are a lot more vulnerable. Vit gouging isnt looked down upon, its, just like turtling, annoying to fight someone with 50% more hp with you. In many players eyes elemental builds take away the penalty for having a high vit. Its nothing to worry about though, you do slightly less damage in return and cant buff, so you can be countered.

Listen up, i'm getting kind of annoyed with you. You contradict yourself every time you talk. "nah, vit gouging isn't looked down upon, just that it's like turtling which i hate also" WTF ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY? IS THIS A MIND GAME? ARRRRGGHHHH!!!!

Are spears "cheap?" 1343447318928u

No it requires holding l1 as you tap r1. You ae overthinking the amount of thought pur into pvp by most players. If you master any technique you can win in any tournament ever. Turlting is easy, hence lots of people do it.

That's wrong, mastering the broken sword style wont win you very many tournaments. Your logic is invalidated. Also turtling is still hard despite what your clouded judgement may be. You're blinded by your own false sense of intellect.

Last edited by PinkMage on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:13 am

Please point out where I said I hate it. And please tell me how you know what my words mean better than I do. Looked down upon and be annoyed by are separate things. I am currently annoyed at you, but Im not looking down on you am I.
    Jovias-86
    Jovias-86
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jovias-86 Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:15 am

Obviously they were frustrated Belli...
    A Vit Gouge with Spears makes for a very lethal build. winking

PinkMage
    PinkMage

Post by PinkMage Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:16 am

DoughGuy wrote:Please point out where I said I hate it. And please tell me how you know what my words mean better than I do. Looked down upon and be annoyed by are separate things. I am currently annoyed at you, but Im not looking down on you am I.

Maybe if you're having trouble with people understanding you, you should get a better grip on the english language.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:18 am

Please tell me more Mr Troll, about how arguing with someone is based upon how well they type, and how pointing out how you dont understand their clear and logical message is their fault.

@OP You've got nothing to worry, just keep fighting.
    Idoloni_Belli
    Idoloni_Belli

Post by Idoloni_Belli Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:19 am

Turtling IS annoying to fight against, and vit gouge is as well. So many giants armor mom mask lightning claymore builds with 2500 hp... I just felt that vit gouging with the pike was appropriate as the stat investment is pretty huge for it to be up to par with other weapons, and even then, there are better weapons for a quality build.

Plus, after losing so much in the Burg, I felt like being the annoying guy for a change. happy
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:22 am

Well the pike is a pretty good weapon actually. And really you have hurt yourself by hitting 94 vit than helping. After 50-60 vit you get really small diminishing returns so you've actually handicapped yourself a bit.
    PinkMage
    PinkMage

Post by PinkMage Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:22 am

DoughGuy wrote:Please tell me more Mr Troll, about how arguing with someone is based upon how well they type, and how pointing out how you dont understand their clear and logical message is their fault.

>implying

You're making the argument about how you not being able to use grammar or english very well ON AN ENGLISH FORUM is not any grounds to call you out?

And the fact you even used the word "logic" in your argument made Aristotle writhe in agony in his grave.

PinkMage
    PinkMage

Post by PinkMage Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:23 am

Idoloni_Belli wrote:Turtling IS annoying to fight against, and vit gouge is as well. So many giants armor mom mask lightning claymore builds with 2500 hp... I just felt that vit gouging with the pike was appropriate as the stat investment is pretty huge for it to be up to par with other weapons, and even then, there are better weapons for a quality build.

Plus, after losing so much in the Burg, I felt like being the annoying guy for a change. happy

So, instead of getting better you became apart of what you believed is the problem? (it's not). Stay Classy.
    Idoloni_Belli
    Idoloni_Belli

Post by Idoloni_Belli Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:26 am

PinkMage wrote:So, instead of getting better you became apart of what you believed is the problem? (it's not). Stay Classy.

Well, I guess you're right to a degree. Though, I'm not using a mask or the best armor I could be using. I like the Balder armor alot though, it's my favorite set in the game.
    RaynexFall
    RaynexFall
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RaynexFall Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:28 am

PinkMage wrote:
    DoughGuy wrote:Please tell me more Mr Troll, about how arguing with someone is based upon how well they type, and how pointing out how you dont understand their clear and logical message is their fault.

>implying

You're making the argument about how you not being able to use grammar or english very well ON AN ENGLISH FORUM is not any grounds to call you out?

And the fact you even used the word "logic" in your argument made Aristotle writhe in agony in his grave.

the fact that your trying to troll someone based on their language skills shows your inability to overlook small details, there is no reason to call anyone out. he stated his opinion, and FYI english isn't the only language out there, so it's not like this is an only english forum. so before trolling you should really think about your own argument.

@ OP, i've seen some spear/pike builds, and they can be annoying with out a shield. just ask servant of pricislla, he's beaten me a few times using pike/halberd combo. i personally don't like fighting them as they out range my dual GLS build, but it's still fun to fight occasionally.
    Idoloni_Belli
    Idoloni_Belli

Post by Idoloni_Belli Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:34 am

DoughGuy wrote:Well the pike is a pretty good weapon actually. And really you have hurt yourself by hitting 94 vit than helping. After 50-60 vit you get really small diminishing returns so you've actually handicapped yourself a bit.

Yeah I noticed that after I had created the build and started playing with it on the character builder. I didn't really know where else to put the points though, as I wanted this one to be melee focused only, and I'm not much of a caster kind of guy.

Now that I think of it, I probably could have added in GMB, as I'm always getting schooled by the MLGS. That thing is the bane of my existence.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:47 pm