Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+27
Serious_Much
Forum Pirate
DoughGuy
dancash1808
DamageCK
Ghadis_God
ICEFANG
Motopsycho
reim0027
mrbeckham87
Cubbie4Cubs
omega Elf
techno_viking
TheYellowKnight
FruitPunchNinja
swordiris
T-King-667
WyrmHero
lextune
skarekrow13
Pesth
RANT
User
Carphil
Extertionist
trafalco
LordOfTheNap
31 posters

Dark Wood Grain Ring for PvP

mrbeckham87
    mrbeckham87
    Addicted
    Addicted

Dark Wood Grain Ring for PvP - Page 2 Empty Re: Dark Wood Grain Ring for PvP

Post by mrbeckham87 Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Use it. I think as long as you don't use cheap tactics like spamming WoG or others then you will get respect from the player. But there are always Whiny players. Dark Wood Grain Ring for PvP - Page 2 3358384175
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:34 pm

Why not use it? There is minimal downside to using it. If you chose not to use it, that's fine. But, you are handicapping yourself (in the vast majority of cases).

Motopsycho
    Motopsycho
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Motopsycho Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:37 pm

Do what you want, wear what you want. Just don't spam stuff. People get real salty online.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:35 am

Actually I'm gonna 180 my own opinion and tell you this:

I used to think the ring is OP, it still is too good, but really, I have learned that medium rolling, is just fine for killing people. It is logical to use it, if you wanted poise, instead of the wolf ring, add armor and do flips, if you wanted hp/defense, instead RoFaP and Steel protecty ring whatever, add armor and do flips. Need more equip load? Instead of Havel's Ring, make some adjustments and fast roll rather than medium. Armor is really good, and it is logical to do the flips. I have to agree that the flipping is better than fast roll, and if it was up to me, I would remove it, just because of what it does to PvP. (YAWN)

The ring is great, you should logically use it, but don't be turned off by medium movement, it really isn't bad at all, it works just fine.

Never fat roll, unless you like dying.

I do have one more thing to say though, I believe I have noticed (on my fat build) that my stamina recovers slower, now that build is using the Giants Set (and Dragon GS, and Havel's GS), I know the armor reduces stamina recovery, but I suspect that your roll speed also affects how fast it regenerates. If this is true, and I don't know that it is, it is loads more logical to use the DWGR over the Cloranty Ring (however that's spelled, actually I freaking look it up now) ah Cloranthy Ring. Yes, although I don't think the bonus (which may exist or I may be imagining it) would be greater, the fast movement and fast flips are more than enough to offset it.

It is logical to use it, but what is my personal opinion on it? I have no mental block to beat them with it, I just ignore it, but it does bring up feelings of regret that they will never enjoy playing a harder or more complex build. (I suppose that isn't really fair to say, but I hope you understand, I feel disappointed).
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 am

At SL 55 I don't have problems with mid roll, neither does my SL 20 GL. Mid roll is just fine for your level OP, don't think that you need it. It does depend on your build of course, katanas and spears benefitting from faster movement and rolls much more than armored GS characters.

I actually find that some people are a bit unused to the timing on my mid roll, and unused to fighting someone that's not constantly cartwheeling around. They definitely don't take advantage of its openings as often as they could.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:49 am

If my build needs it, I'm using it. Some people would suggest swapping gear around to save weight, but screw that. I'm not compromising to pacify the portion of the community that still has an issue with the ring.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Well lets be honest, EVERY build could benefit from using it. Thats why its considered to be a broken overpowered ring. I dont expect anyone to not use it, just as i dont expect anyone to not wear giants+mom with it.Those people are just using stuff thats in the game, my issue is with Fromsoft for not balancing their game properly.

Imagine if they didnt patch the fog ring, and every match was forced to be an unlocked match where you can barely see your opponent. Thats what it would have came too, cause that ring was very powerful as it was. I'm sure some people would stick around and just say "well this is the best ring for my build", but most would get bored of the repetition , and leave. You hear less people complaining about flipping tanks, because less people are playing the game because of it. I cant do anything about it, but its a major problem with the game. If they leave it how it is as of now ,when they release dlc, that will be very disappointing.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Actually i'd rather they hadn't patched it. I play unlocked a lot anyway, so it's not an issue. If they hadn't patched it, there would be less flip tanks since they've got a choice between two super powerful rings. A lot of players could benefit from learning to play locked off also.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:08 pm

I agree completely, although i think a lot of people would just pair the rings lol. I think the ideas for a lot of the powerful items seemed cool, but they just didnt end up working with the balance of the game. I am very curious as to how Fromsoft views these things. I would love to see an interview with the creator where some more in depth questions are asked involving this.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:20 pm

I would too. And i wouldn't mind if the functionality of some items changes depending on whether you're in a PvE or PvP situation. That's just wishful thinking though.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:27 pm

that would be a pain in the *** to implement though. a phantom invades and suddenly the mobs butcher you because all your magic powers vanished ;P
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Exactly why it's wishful thinking.
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:47 am

The same/same/sameness that the horribly flawed ring has caused is in fact slowly killing the game/community.

People like me, and the other addicted, aren't going anywhere, but we can't support the whole thing by ourselves.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:21 am

Honestly, guys, it is what it is. And you can refuse to use it, for whatever reason, and you can continue to drop post after post about why it's unbalanced, but the ring is still in the game.

And in reality, now that I really think about it, you could make the argument that it also promotes diversity for the simple fact that it allows you to equip pretty much whatever you want, provided you have the stats the wield it. My favorite build ever is my dual wielder. Clay/BSS in the main, katana/comp bow in the off, black iron greaves, Havel's gaunts, thief hood, and Hollow chest. I can't equip all that **** and stay at or under 120 without slamming endurance and playing with no hp (at 120, you're an idiot if you're using elementals, so don't even bring it up). See many people with that setup?

The reality is that the ring allows people to Giant's/MoM, but the individual players CHOOSE to use that particular setup. Even if you take the ring away, people will find a way to hit their breakpoints and fastroll and hp gouge. Even if it means they just keep on leveling, they're going to do it.

I also never understood why people who have gripes about the DWGR then suggest using the Wolf ring and heavy gaunts as a "legit" substitute. Your beef is that they're fast rolling with high poise. And your suggestion is to use the Wolf to....... fast roll with high poise? What? So use a different combination of gear to do the same thing?

The DWGR doesn't make people Giant/MoM trolls, or anything comparable. If anything, as I've already said, it opens up gear/weapon combos. It's not the ring's fault that the players still choose to stack poise and ninja flip.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:47 am

People will just use the fap/havels rings and stack endurance to +50 to fast roll. Str builds would be even less because of high equipload.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:58 am

I will just say Im glad they patched the fog ring. The last thing we need is flipping dragons using bows that you cant see. And as has been pointed out too many people will stack end to fast roll with a dex weapon using havel's ring and RoFaP using dex weapons..
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:18 am

Wouldn't even have to, wolfs does the trick, not losing much defense either, in many cases the light armor would boost magic and elemental defense, arguably making up for the loss.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:23 am

Exactly. It's the same effing idea. So how do people go from crying about tank flippers to suggesting that you stack poise and fast roll a different way and claim that it's somehow "above" the DWGR method?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:30 am

I think because at least then they wont be flipping tanks, they'll be fast rolling and wearing mroe fitting armour.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:41 am

In my mind a "flipping tank" is a player with high poise/mobility. So what's the difference?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:49 am

Its not a flip, its a handspring, and they'll still be fastrolling tanks, with better roll r1s I might add, because the light roll is faster.

If anything, a handspring in 40 pounds of armor, while highly unlikely, is more plausible than a high speed summersualt in 25 or 30 pounds of armor because a handspring uses gravity and inertia to continue, where a summersualt ends with the person fighting gravity (and so the weight of their gear) to return to standing.

I can't be certain without doing the math, but I do believe physics disagrees with the notion that the fast roll in medium armor is more realistic.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:11 am

This is getting out of control.

The point is that essentially they're the same. Only the methods differ.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:14 am

I agree, I was just poking holes in the argument because I can rarely help it.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:46 am

Hah. I'm on the same page with this one.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:11 am

Yes! A handspring supporter! On topic I said on another thread if you patch it to remove fast movement with heavy armor you'd just get something else, like more turtles. People want effective and will get it somehow. Then it spreads. The DWGR is the boy band of Dark souls. You see them all over and a bunch of people say it's garbage but it keeps selling records regardless.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:10 pm