Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+27
Serious_Much
Forum Pirate
DoughGuy
dancash1808
DamageCK
Ghadis_God
ICEFANG
Motopsycho
reim0027
mrbeckham87
Cubbie4Cubs
omega Elf
techno_viking
TheYellowKnight
FruitPunchNinja
swordiris
T-King-667
WyrmHero
lextune
skarekrow13
Pesth
RANT
User
Carphil
Extertionist
trafalco
LordOfTheNap
31 posters

Dark Wood Grain Ring for PvP

LordOfTheNap
    LordOfTheNap

Dark Wood Grain Ring for PvP Empty Dark Wood Grain Ring for PvP

Post by LordOfTheNap Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Just curious, but what is the community standard for the DWGR? Is it honorable to use? Disliked? Cheesy?

I'm wanting to become a skilled and respectable PvPer, so I don't want to resort to cheesy tactics. I see a lot of players use it, but I also wanted to get the community opinion to see if it's something I'd like to take into consideration. I'm fine using it or not, either way.
    trafalco

Dark Wood Grain Ring for PvP Empty Re: Dark Wood Grain Ring for PvP

Post by trafalco Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:39 pm

I feel it makes the game physics less realistic (not that it is really a realistic game itself). Flipping heavy armors are just not 'physics' possible (they would in reality have limited motion).
    Extertionist
    Extertionist
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Extertionist Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:40 pm

It's not disliked but you will get more respect if you don't use it.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Most people who uses the ring, complain about it. Feel free to use it, but a lot of people have been doing more builds with light roll lately. Mostly to proove that you Can make a build without this ring and still win a lot of fights. I.e show flipping masks tanks a lesson winking
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Extertionist wrote:It's not disliked but you will get more respect if you don't use it.

Some people might object to that statement
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:44 pm

since everyone uses it you might as well use it to not handicap yourself specially since youre just getting into pvp.
    Pesth
    Pesth
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pesth Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

just dont use it with havel's/giant's gear (or other heavy gear) and it would be fine...

i use it in 2 builds, one is samurai (eastern set) and the other is painting Guardian, both very low poise :suspect:
    LordOfTheNap
    LordOfTheNap

Post by LordOfTheNap Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks for all the feedback so far! My current build I'm shooting for will have me with a mid-roll, so I'll have to switch up my equipment if I want to get it light. Currently I have it themed for appearance.

Here's my current build for funsies. Gravelord PvP SL 60 Build

The Greatsword I have is meant for 2-hand combat.
    I have an alternate setup where I use a Fire Darksword +10 in RH and Fire Light Crossbow in LH.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:12 pm

My only complaint is that everyone calls it the "flip ring" when it actually produces cartwheels/handsprings.
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Stand still and hit the B button. You flip.

The ring is utterly ridiculous. Every build I have is a wolf ring/medium armor/fast roll build and I win plenty.

winking
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:29 pm

My character only does a back handspring doing that (which is frequent, once the invading message pops up I switch out my cat ring to this and see how many I can do before I invade). From a gymnastics perspective he does it quite well too, particularly with fists closed around gear.

EDIT: I suppose I can add to the actual conversation rather than my, done with a grin, nomenclature complaint.

It's in the game so I don't consider it cheesy. If it helps you win and want to use it go for it. There are other ways to win too though so go with what you like. I eventually used it so I could move fast with my Black Iron set against multiple opponents. I go mostly melee too so there's not a lot of rings that provide a ton of benefit to me so it works well. On my dueling 120 toon most people would say I'm crazy because I have insane endurance to fast roll with my Black Iron on. I sacrifice most options to use this though (Only dex weapons, str. is out of the question and don't worry about damage from sorcery or miracles from this guy).
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:00 pm

For SL 120 it's the most powerful ring. You can stack Vit and poise easily, and hybrids are more viable. I try to not use it on pure spellcasters, which I prefer to equip a spell bonus ring and fap or wolf.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:04 pm

I only pvp with cosplays and i never used the grain ring, (even on my paint grd and ninja cosplays) I did a tally about a month ago, and out of 40 different players (Took me a few days to face 40 players) i played against in the kilin 2 of them DIDENT use the grain ring. The mass majority of pvpers have become relied on useing it to be able to stack a crap tonne of poise while still being able to move ridiculously fast and being able to cover more ground, not to mention the invincibility frame is abused as well some people wait for you to swing so they can flip straight into it and get behind for a bs. Its ridiculous.
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:11 pm

I use it on My 190 but for my 70 I use Bellowing Dragoncrest and hornet. I win plenty with her. You don't need it to win fights but be careful.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:14 pm

We all know how i feel about it....You might as well use it, everyone does. It's the most powerful/useful ring in the game. I still think this game would be a hell of a lot better if that ring just wasn't in it at all, but its a bit too late for that.
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Nerf the 50% load deal and its fine. I don't know why the ring does it, it doesn't say that in the description.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:41 pm

I honestly think that from put the rings added equip load benefit in for players who were having trouble beating the game. Cause even if you could not wear medium/heavy armor with the ring(meaning max poise you could have is 40ish using dwgr+wolf) the ring is actually still a useful/viable ring. It allows you to roll slightly further then normal fast roll, and also has a longer invincibility frame(i do want to see more in depth test on this). It is also much more accurate when it comes to rolling then the normal fast roll,imo. Tons of people including myself will agree that the dwgr makes it much easier to preform a roll backstab. If it was nerfed it would be exactly like the fog ring, people would not use it nearly as much but they still would(probably more then the fog ring,imo).
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:57 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:I honestly think that from put the rings added equip load benefit in for players who were having trouble beating the game. Cause even if you could not wear medium/heavy armor with the ring(meaning max poise you could have is 40ish using dwgr+wolf) the ring is actually still a useful/viable ring. It allows you to roll slightly further then normal fast roll, and also has a longer invincibility frame(i do want to see more in depth test on this). It is also much more accurate when it comes to rolling then the normal fast roll,imo. Tons of people including myself will agree that the dwgr makes it much easier to preform a roll backstab. If it was nerfed it would be exactly like the fog ring, people would not use it nearly as much but they still would(probably more then the fog ring,imo).
    But the good thing about that is, is that when it isent used as much (like the fog ring) it forces everybody to break apart from the mold (everybody being fliping tanks with the mask of whoever) Which then they all stop stacking poise and heavy armor since now they have no choice but to mid roll which to them dosent seem to be worth it. When it comes to rings in my opinion the rofap should be down to 10-15% boost to everything and the tiny beings ring should have a 10-15% boost to hp (make it usefull at least) i hate it when rings/armors/etc of the same category simply overpower one another (rofap and tiny beings ring for example) like sure The tiny beings ring is a gift option as well but like 20 mins into the game the ring is useless because you will just replace it with rofap. Alot of balancing changes need to be made imo.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:12 pm

I agree, a lot of people think im just talking about pvp also. It really makes pve too easy once you find it, a new player might not notice immediately but it still does. I am so bored of pvp at the moment that i might do a low lvl run again without the dwgr, i think it will be a lot more difficult(maybe 0 poise also). That was one of the things that really opened my eyes to how unbalanced it was, i honestly dont think i would have been able to do my original sl1 run without it. Fights like 4kings and O&S become a lot harder when you cant stack some added poise and keep your mobility. Not to mention the invincibility frames and added roll distance,which were not nearly as noticeable until i stopped using dwgr all together. Oh well im sure people are sick of this "complaining", but its a major problem with the game in my opinion. I hope it is fixed in DLC/PC/GOTY edition.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:23 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:I agree, a lot of people think im just talking about pvp also. It really makes pve too easy once you find it, a new player might not notice immediately but it still does. I am so bored of pvp at the moment that i might do a low lvl run again without the dwgr, i think it will be a lot more difficult(maybe 0 poise also). That was one of the things that really opened my eyes to how unbalanced it was, i honestly dont think i would have been able to do my original sl1 run without it. Fights like 4kings and O&S become a lot harder when you cant stack some added poise and keep your mobility. Not to mention the invincibility frames and added roll distance,which were not nearly as noticeable until i stopped using dwgr all together. Oh well im sure people are sick of this "complaining", but its a major problem with the game in my opinion. I hope it is fixed in DLC/PC/GOTY edition.
    Do a cos-play playthrough, And only use the armour/weps/rings/mericles/spells/etc that cos-play uses, and if your gonna bb it, make sure that your equipment is not upgraded, thats alot of fun aswell! Best part, if you want an excuse to use the dwgr you have to be a ninja cos-play silly
    TheYellowKnight

Post by TheYellowKnight Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:24 pm

I use it for a lot of my characters, but not for my cos-plays. Many people use it and for good reason. But if FROM were to nerf it all of a sudden I would not be bothered by it, in fact i'll be happy. There would be lot more variety in the people you encounter.
    techno_viking
    techno_viking

Post by techno_viking Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:45 pm

I just assume that any resources that are available to you without cheating are fair game.

I'd say use the ring.
    LordOfTheNap
    LordOfTheNap

Post by LordOfTheNap Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:56 pm

I appreciate all the feedback that's been given. I'll work my character up to the point where I can obtain it and play around. I'm used to having a mid-roll and playing that way, so it will be interesting to see how it works into my playstyle. More likely than not, however, what I'm looking to do at the time will help me determine if I use it or not.
    omega Elf
    omega Elf
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by omega Elf Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:20 pm

use it
    Cubbie4Cubs
    Cubbie4Cubs

Post by Cubbie4Cubs Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:32 pm

I say use it! The only issue I personally have are using the ring for the sole purpose of backstabs, which kills PVP for me.

Just think about how much more challenging this game would be without backstabs lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:39 pm