Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
GenericUsername
Slarg232
Carphil
Forum Pirate
densetsushun
ViralEnsign_
Elite Knight
Leeroy_Jenkins
Ashran
RevolverSnake
Red Rosie
tinypantha
Emergence
JohnnyHarpoon
Uparkaam
Jansports
Satoshi
Dibsville
22 posters

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D

densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 9 Empty Re: Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D

Post by densetsushun Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:16 am

A friend of mine plays rogues. I hate that deck. silly
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 9 Empty Re: Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D

Post by Slarg232 Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:03 am

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 9 Image

I much prefer this for Ciphering; beef it up with some equipment, then it becomes a "Damned if you do, Damned if you don't" when it comes to blocking it.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:37 am

unless they're green and or black and will just put it back into play.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:43 am

Unless you play with these babies:

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 9 Details
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:01 am

Speaking of green and black, I tried out my golgari deck at my friend's magic night get together.  I got to try out a bunch of new decks actually.

I got 3 ambush vipers, 1 greater basilisk, and 1 giant scorpion.  I managed to take out his mana ramping/ swarm elf deck.  I just kept gravepurging my creatures, I never let him have more than one creature out on the field every turn.  It was a slow crawl, but I eventually killed him with ambush vipers. silly 

Also tested out my Dimir deck, the first time I lost pretty bad.  But I blame that more on bad shuffling, hitting the mana vein too early.  The second time  I got out my deathcult rogues and tormented souls and I let the ciphering unblockables do their thing.  I managed to discard more than half my friend's deck and that was without the actual discard cards I was hoping for.  Overall a pretty sweet gig. 

Also made a Simic deck that I wasn't too sure would be even half decent, but it turned out to be the best deck I made so far.  Kinda funny because when I got my Vorel of the Hull Clade I thought I would never use him.  And then I bent them over a barrel with a 14/13 ( and rising ) shamble shark.

And I gotta buy some more cards before I finish my Selesnya deck.  But basically 

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 9 Image15 Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 9 Image16 Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 9 Image17 Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 9 Image18
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:02 am

Voral will not let you down, trust me; I once got a 54/58 Elusive Krasis and proceeded to kill four people in four turns (Lots of counters in that particular deck, they couldn't burn it).
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:35 am

Slarg232 wrote:Unless you play with these babies:

I'm assuming one of them is leyline of the void? still, thats only if you get it down, and you're only really going to cripple "lynchpin" decks. a green/white token deck will run you right over
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:50 pm

Why are there no simic planeswalkers damiit.  I had a nasty plan to set up with a gilderbairn

Tamiyo might work though

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=240070
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=152046
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:
    Slarg232 wrote:Unless you play with these babies:

I'm assuming one of them is leyline of the void? still, thats only if you get it down, and you're only really going to cripple "lynchpin" decks. a green/white token deck will run you right over
    Crypt Incursion.

Oh, you think your creatures are safe in the grave? Exile all of them, give me 3 life for each.

I had to modify my Dimir decks to include those, since my brother runs Innistrad Zombies, so he constantly pulls them out even if I mill his entire deck. Quite frustrating.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:25 am

yeah but its green black. if you attempt to exile them I can fetch it out first with an instant, and I didn't say anything about creatures.

life frim the loam will pull back lands i discarded, recollect will bring back anything, i can slap a disentoumb out to pull the creature before its exiled, i can stop the life gain with one of several red and or black enchantments.
    St1cky1cky1775
    St1cky1cky1775
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by St1cky1cky1775 Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:03 am

My friends quit so I did as well, sold all my cards. Regret it so much. Still play mtg 2012
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:16 pm

So what are some of the worst cards/card combos you guys have come across?

And by worst I mean crazy overpowered.

I went up against my friend's merfolk deck, and it's really not a " merfolk " deck so much as it is a " use merfolk as cannon fodder until I pull out one of 4 stormtide leviathans and then cancel literally every spell in your deck until I win "

I can't stand that damn leviathan.  It's absolutely ridiculous
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:09 am

Is it safe to say that, if you wanna legit compete, you should probably up and drop a couple grand on cards?
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:28 am

JohnnyHarpoon wrote:Is it safe to say that, if you wanna legit compete, you should probably up and drop a couple grand on cards?
    NOTE:  The most expensive MTG related thing I bought was a $40 fatpack so take this as my two cents.

A couple grand?  Eh.  Unless you wanna buy a foil black lotus it should only be a couple hundred.  For a deck. 

That is, if you want to be that one guy that just spams Jace and other horribly broken cards.

But then again, I don't have an extensive knowledge of literally every mythic rare/ rare so some might be even more overpriced/underpriced than Jace.

It all really depends.  There are the people who drop ridiculous amounts of money on only extremely rare cards to carry them through the game.  And then there are the people that may have some rares, but can actually strategize and build a sweet deck out of more " normal " cards.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:52 am

JohnnyHarpoon wrote:Is it safe to say that, if you wanna legit compete, you should probably up and drop a couple grand on cards?
    I'd have to say not. Even if all you care about is winning, there are other options(Limited as opposed to Constructed). You can also just play with friends in a casual format and decide what not to play against.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:22 am

depends.

In vintage/legacy, pretty much. you'll need a playset of black lotus, for 1.

In modern, no, though its certainly possibe, you won't necessarily come out with a better deck. A couple hundred can be spent on land alone though.

In standard/extended no, a couple hundred tops, and again its not necessarily going to get you a better deck.

In edh, its pretty much the same as modern. The biggest expendature is often land, though its certainly possible to have a 1500 usd deck, its by no means necessary to be competitive.
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Anyway, who's " excited " for Theros?

I'm planning on getting a fat pack and one extra booster to make it an even 10.

I'm kind of interested to see how they'll be creating their multicolor cards.  Like making mythological creatures based off a green/blue scheme or a red/blue one.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:20 pm

I'd put decent money dual color cards will die down for a while after ravnica. there will probably be some, but i seriously doubt it will be a big thing again for a few years.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:34 am

I honestly am hoping for more Mono Color, which I think the 2014 set kinda reinforced. Most of the cards have more than one Colored Mana despite being mono colored, and honestly that's how I prefer Magic; heavy trade offs by being great at one thing while subpar at others.

Mind you, this doesn't mean you can't DO other things; I have a black deck that has over 138 Mana (23 Swamps + Leliana's -6 + 2 Crypt Ghasts for six black mana per land, 23 x 6 is 138) and Fire Breathing monsters/those that get more powerful by how many swamps you have (Corrupt, Nightmare, Perilous Shadow). It's mostly a 2hG or Star Pattern deck, but still.

Or my Skeleton Deck that just. Doesn't. DIE! while having Banshee's Blades (+1/+1 whenever the creature deals combat damage) and other various equipment.

But why am I telling you guys this, you already know.... And no, I don't play tournament legal silly
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:29 am

Dunno if anyone has seen this, but here is the spoiler for Theros.

Sorry for the double post, but figured this was bumpworthy.

http://mythicspoiler.com/

Looks pretty boss, if you ask me.
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:01 am

I'm still not sold on the mythic hydra, seems meh to me.  Although the white enchantment, blue god creature, and black demon seemed pretty cool.

I bought three boosters, 2 dragons maze and 1 gatecrash.  Got two new rares for my simic deck and finally got my hands on Ruric Thar.

But basically for my simic I'm going to do something like this

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 9 Image20 Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 9 Imagec12 Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 9 Image21
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Oh man,  that's just crazy. Mana might be a problem, but still.....

I wish I hadn't stopped playing during Morningtide; it was chock full of Elementals and that's JUST when I stopped playing....
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Yeah, I'm going to try and find some Gyre sages for forest ramping, but I imagine I would really only use that in a free for all with my friends.  I can easily get 13 or so mana because my friends are all incredibly scared to fire against anyone first lest they start the war.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:03 am

You can ramp pretty hard on the Forest side with Arbor Elf and Elvish Mystic. As for Blue, ramping's not really up their alley so you can't do much about that except play more Islands than Forests.
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:41 pm

You know I really just can't play against one of my friends anymore.  I just can't.

Oh I wanna try out a new deck that I've never tested before?  Lol lemme just use my Boros deck where every creature is a rare.  All of them.  Every one.  And of course they're all low mana cost.

Or how about my red/black vampire deck, where 11 out of 18 creatures are mythic rares?  And how about I make them hexproof and unblockable with lifelink? 

Or oh what about my artifact deck where over the course of 2 turns I played 7 power house artifact creatures for free.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:23 pm