Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
GenericUsername
Slarg232
Carphil
Forum Pirate
densetsushun
ViralEnsign_
Elite Knight
Leeroy_Jenkins
Ashran
RevolverSnake
Red Rosie
tinypantha
Emergence
JohnnyHarpoon
Uparkaam
Jansports
Satoshi
Dibsville
22 posters

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 11 Empty Re: Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Just cards you happen to have?

You might considered buying playsets (4) of the important cards (eg fathom mage, though I'd stop at 3 for her, renegade krassis and zamek guildmage) www.cardkingdom.com

You might also want to consider mana ramp to get more cards down faster. If you're not playing standard, 4 cultivate and/or harrow and/or Utopian Sprawl would both mana fix (get you the color you need) and add to your mana.

I have an ally deck I'll post in a bit that does something similar, though it goes about it differently.

Last edited by Forum Pirate on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D - Page 11 Empty Re: Magic the Gathering, There has to be others who play :D

Post by GenericUsername Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:56 pm

Yeah, I plan to buy more specific cards, like gyre sage for ramping.  This is just what it's currently at.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:59 pm

http://www.mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/861516

there, see. its all about stalling for time and protecting my crap until My creatures are absurd, and then either running them over with the distortion strike i forgot to put in, or milling them with halimar excavator.

Should give you an idea of the type of interactions you can set up in your deck, there are a couple ways you could win using the evolve mechanic, but its absolutely imperitive you keep your creatures out and play as many as possible as fast a possible to keep that ability triggering ear;y to mid game, because if you can get set up then your creatures end up as 16/16s late game and you can just roll in for the win.
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:11 pm

So after looking at theros spoilers as soon as some came out, I was stupid and thought they spoiled all of them already.  And I thought they looked pretty bad

But now im looking through the whole list and it looks pretty nice.  Maybe not amazing, but at least worth me spending money on.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:10 am

"Maybe not amazing"? You saw the 3 cost 5/5 indestruructable right? How much more amazing do you want?
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:28 am

Forum Pirate wrote:"Maybe not amazing"? You saw the 3 cost 5/5 indestruructable right? How much more amazing do you want?
    Yeah I was just kind of scrolling through them.

Hot damn.  That prophet of kruphix even has a better rating than Jace the mindsculptor.

Or they have that 8 mana cost 10/10 indesctructible defender that can gain another 10 counters and trample.

or any of the various 2 mana soldiers with awesome heroic abilities

ALSO

I just learned about the Boros Reckoner infinite life gain exploit.  And I have all the cards to do it.  Yessss
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:53 am

So some lucky SoB got all five Gods in one pre release pack, and then all three plainswalkers in his second.

As far as I know, he didn't get mugged, but even I was tempted.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:14 am

Geez, and I thought my friend was lucky getting two off-colour Gods. That guy must have all the luck in the world. I also saw a post on Reddit of a guy winning his Prerelease and getting 14 packs of Theros, 5 Modern Masters and a From the Vault: 20 box.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:24 am

finally finished and bought my savra edh, and now its on to hand control edh. u/b/r. it will be savage if i can pull it off. group hug draw and cards like lillanas caress and painful quandry to make every choice a hard choice (except for me)
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:26 pm

Some folks here should consider an article series on Fextralife, lots of knowledge here and I bet there would be an audience for it.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:19 pm

There are mtg forums.................I'm really not sure what i, or anyone else here, could say that isn't already there.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:48 pm

There are prolific homebrew forums yet Reim is writing a popular intro series on how to start the process and Pierre is doing the same with bikes. The same could be done for Magic if anyone is into heading it up.  Hobbyist talk goes over well when people already have a friendly rapport. People have found it fun and the extra activity there helps the wikis and forums here.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:17 pm

well, I'm probably not a good guy to do an introduction to magic in general, given my more competition oriented mindset, at least for most people, hence the like 3 page arguement earlier (scrub mentality is scrub, but the vast majority of players fall into that catagory, and fail to realise its a mentality not a skill level, and that the very nature of competition is to set up situations to be as unfair as possible short of actually acting outside the rules of the game.)
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:36 am

I would consider this but the best articles are written by the Wizards staff, particularly Mark Rosewater. There's also a very good podcast for limited called Limited Resources.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:01 am

eh. there are fantastic primers on specific concepts or mechanics in the mtg salvation forums. They are just random people who know their stuff. 

The actual wizards stuff is good in general, but there are several types of control decks and several ways to control. Mana control (denying the opponent mana,) counter control (denying the opponent spells), lockdown (setting up stuations where one cannot lose, wit the goal being to maintain it as long as possible or untill you win) are all very different. I haven't seen wizards do an in-depth artical on the subject, but i have seen in-depth articals on the forums, as an easy example.

I also know of a primer for every legendary creature as a general to an edh deck on those same forums, as another example.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:45 am

Yeah, I didn't mean to say the Wizards staff are all knowing, the game is shaped by the community, the staff develop the tools for us to play with. What I love about the Wizards staff though is how they are involved with their community, and they explain their creative directions for cards, blocks, sets and mechanics. They also acknowledge when they flopped or failed and try to do good by their fanbase, while keeping a level head about the naysayers.
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:45 am

So basically you all don't feel you love/know the hobby enough to match Reim, Pierre, Skare or E on their random introductions to things they like. Oh well happy
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Ouch, gauntlet has been thrown by Fex XD

I might be able to do a basic rules one and a "How to build a 60 card deck, Slargsy Styled." or similar tomorrow, but I have to work today sad
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:30 pm

FexDS wrote:So basically you all don't feel you love/know the hobby enough to match Reim, Pierre, Skare or E on their random introductions to things they like. Oh well happy
    actually, i'd say its that i don't know how to appeal to anybody with a less competitive mindset. i'll try anyways, if for no other reason than i'm not about to let that comment stand.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:38 am

Fex poked a nest of angry bees with that comment, didn't she?

If nothing else, Pirate, I can handle the less competitive side, and you can do the more competitive side, so we cover both without having to worry about the "wrong" mindset silly
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:12 am

Forum Pirate wrote:actually, i'd say its that i don't know how to appeal to anybody with a less competitive mindset. i'll try anyways, if for no other reason than i'm not about to let that comment stand.
    I don't think there should be an issue with writing on competitive MTG. Perhaps you could even write an article explaining competitive MTG to the not so competitive.

As for me, I'll happily accept that I don't know my hobby well enough to write on it, at least when it comes to Magic. happy
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:21 pm

So I got an idea to make a B/R sacrifice deck.  Basic idea is to gain control of an opponents creatures and then sacrifice them to boost my own guys in some way.  Of course I don't plan on using entirely an opponent's creatures, maybe ill throw in some Undying to sac.

But yeah any cards you guys know of?  I know a friend said there was some creature that lets you sacrifice a creature to destroy another.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:17 pm

The thing you need to know about B/R Sacrifice Decks, is that more often than not, playing one makes you lame, and makes everyone realize you're the type of person who kicks kittens, punches puppies, and talks in the movie theater. Only horrible, horrible people play B/R Sacrifice decks.

So where am I supposed to post up this "How to make a sixty card deck, Slargsy Styled!" post?
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Hey Slarg, create an account on Fextralife.com and PM Fex, she will then add you as a contributor where you will be able to submit your article.  Here are the steps in detail: https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t24465-fextralife-get-your-articles-published
    GenericUsername
    GenericUsername
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by GenericUsername Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Slarg232 wrote:The thing you need to know about B/R Sacrifice Decks, is that more often than not, playing one makes you lame, and makes everyone realize you're the type of person who kicks kittens, punches puppies, and talks in the movie theater. Only horrible, horrible people play B/R Sacrifice decks.

So where am I supposed to post up this "How to make a sixty card deck, Slargsy Styled!" post?
    Ha, I can live with that.

But as it turns out, I thought the gatecrash reprint of Act of treason was different from one of the other Act of treasons for some reason, so I don't have as many creature control cards as I would like.  I think I'll just make up with more kill cards and undying creatures to sac.

Also considering buying the Sorin Vs Tibalt duel deck, just going to take them and break them down if I do buy it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:38 am