Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+26
ExplodingPenguin
Dibsville
Soris Ice Goldwing
Mr. Tart
densetsushun
GreatLordNero
Halicarnassis
Nybbles
Dusk Soul
User1
CarverUpqik
Rynn
EverlastingRat
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
swordiris
MasterofShadows
Sentiel
GaryBlevins
raecor14
MrDynogames
Tolvo
Zeta Prime
Dubscythe
aqueous12
skarekrow13
LunarFog
30 posters

New unique equipment?

LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

New unique equipment? Empty New unique equipment?

Post by LunarFog Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:26 pm

What kinds of unique spell/spelltypes/weapons/items are you hoping for?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

New unique equipment? Empty Re: New unique equipment?

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:44 pm

I'll probably get killed for this idea but for PvP purposes I want a unique item that looks identical to a non unique item. Why?

When you approach the person in PvP you wouldn't know what they actually were using until they used it. Maybe they have both on one hand. Who know? Essentially, any time you saw it you'd need to account for two or three usage strategies (item A, item B or item A/B swap strategies).

My initial concept would be a shield that looks like a normal one. It has lower defenses and a fairly low physical defense. But rather than a parry animation, the end is actually edged and it has an attack function. Fairly low damage.
    aqueous12

Post by aqueous12 Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:01 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:I'll probably get killed for this idea but for PvP purposes I want a unique item that looks identical to a non unique item. Why?

When you approach the person in PvP you wouldn't know what they actually were using until they used it. Maybe they have both on one hand. Who know? Essentially, any time you saw it you'd need to account for two or three usage strategies (item A, item B or item A/B swap strategies).

My initial concept would be a shield that looks like a normal one. It has lower defenses and a fairly low physical defense. But rather than a parry animation, the end is actually edged and it has an attack function. Fairly low damage.

Well, you already guessed that people would disagree with you, so I'll start that off. I think it's important that particularly different or powerful unique items have a unique appearance as well. It develops a sort of meta game wherein you know the advantages of the weapon, and can make assumptions about how they will play to maximize those advantages. Your opponent in turn can adapt and assume how you will react to your weapon choice.

An example of this from Dark Souls is that I like to use strength character with heavy armor and Havel's shield. When an enemy sees me they might assume that I like to turtle behind my big shield, so they pull out Lifehunt Scythe. I recognize Lifehunt Scythe and know they will try to make me bleed and maybe overextend with multiple attacks. I adapt and instead of turtling, counter-attack. And so on and so forth...

So anyways, I'm glad unique items look unique.

As far as the OP, I know this has been said before, but I really want more unique armor, weapons and spells for covenant involvement. They set a cool baseline in Dark Souls 1 with having to unlock stuff like Great Lightning Spear, the Dark Hand and Darkmoon Blade. It'd be cool if they went a little deeper with your connection with your covenant and gave you lots of stuff to show your serious commitment to that covenant.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Spoiler:

I would love to see a Guan Dao or something that resembles one in Dark Souls II. It's probably one of my favorite weapons of all time, and since there are already some Eastern weapons in the Dark Souls continuity I see no reason why it cannot fit into the game.

Also, maybe some sort of heavy thrusting lance.
    aqueous12

Post by aqueous12 Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:12 pm

Dubscythe wrote:
    Spoiler:

I would love to see a Guan Dao or something that resembles one in Dark Souls II. It's probably one of my favorite weapons of all time, and since there are already some Eastern weapons in the Dark Souls continuity I see no reason why it cannot fit into the game.

Isn't the Black Knight Halberd pretty much the same design as that picture? Not that it wouldn't be cool to have another thing like that.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:20 pm

aqueous12 wrote:
    Dubscythe wrote:
    Spoiler:

Isn't the Black Knight Halberd pretty much the same design as that picture? Not that it wouldn't be cool to have another thing like that.

Dark Souls II doesn't take place in Lordran which will most likely mean that Black Knights and their gear will be absent. Plus, the Halberds in Dark Souls were either Quality weapons or a Strength weapon in the Black Knight Halberd's case. I figured a standard Guan Dao could be the Halberd counterpart of the Murakumo Greatsword, lower STR scaling but higher DEX.
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zeta Prime Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:15 pm

New unique equipment? FQijqrv

I want to do that...
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:39 am

I want a corpse as a weapon, just bashing people over the head with a dead body. Now that's using the environment around you to your advantage.
    MrDynogames
    MrDynogames
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MrDynogames Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:00 am

For me I always liked the idea of the crystal ring shield. I'd like it if there were some more weapons like that. Or a item which grants like a movement speed boost, not changing your rolling but making them faster. Just little things which would be interesting in pvp.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:06 am

heres what i want to happen. scrap every weapon in the game with the exceptions of longsword and other basic worldwide weapons. then look at the lore. if we are in balder i want the BSS to return, if we are throulound i want faith weapons to be big. i want it all to be lore continuous,
    GaryBlevins
    Casual
    Casual

Post by GaryBlevins Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:08 am

Not so much a weapon, but if pyromancy comes back, I want to see a Pyro buff, which is something that I always though was missing in DkS1.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:27 pm

I want a catalyst in shape of a bell, that would ring when you cast spells.
    See Mind Flayers in Demon's Souls to get an idea what I'm talking about.

I'd also like to see some sort of crossbow that is actually usable, or at least being able to postpone reloading to whenever I feel like. Shoot now, reload later.

Being able to enchant bows, crossbows and/or their ammo.

More offhand weapons, like Gold Tracer.

Either an armor that can at least slightly blend with it's surroundings, or an armor with some sort of camouflage on it, to add stealth to the gameplay.

Being able to sheath my weapon (only for roleplaying purposes).

Being able to do insta swap weapons. Let me explain. In the demo, it seems like you can have three weapons equipped in each hand, instead of two, like we can now. If that's the case, I want to be able to fast switch from first to third weapon, by double tapping the coresponding directional button. For example. If I'll have a sword, a bow and a catalyst equipped in one slot, I want to double tap directional button, to switch from the sword to the catalyst without taking out the bow at all, completely skiping it, if you will.

Being able to carry the torch in any hand I want and to use it to attack and put objects and enemies on fire. Possibly making some extra light sources to make it easier to fight.

I'd like to see some armor that actually does reduces the damage received, but for example for severely reducing Stamina recovery and/or movement speed. The damage difference between the best armor and being naked is so little, that wearing armor has next to no point. Damage wise, I wasn't talking about Poise and Aux resistances.

For the love of the Lord, please, give males a different type of underwear. My eyes were bleeding when I first saw the Deprived.

Patches the Hyena.

MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:30 pm

aqueous12 wrote:
    skarekrow13 wrote:I'll probably get killed for this idea but for PvP purposes I want a unique item that looks identical to a non unique item. Why?

Well, you already guessed that people would disagree with you, so I'll start that off. I think it's important that particularly different or powerful unique items have a unique appearance as well. It develops a sort of meta game wherein you know the advantages of the weapon, and can make assumptions about how they will play to maximize those advantages. Your opponent in turn can adapt and assume how you will react to your weapon choice.

An example of this from Dark Souls is that I like to use strength character with heavy armor and Havel's shield. When an enemy sees me they might assume that I like to turtle behind my big shield, so they pull out Lifehunt Scythe. I recognize Lifehunt Scythe and know they will try to make me bleed and maybe overextend with multiple attacks. I adapt and instead of turtling, counter-attack. And so on and so forth...

As far as the OP, I know this has been said before, but I really want more unique armor, weapons and spells for covenant involvement. They set a cool baseline in Dark Souls 1 with having to unlock stuff like Great Lightning Spear, the Dark Hand and Darkmoon Blade. It'd be cool if they went a little deeper with your connection with your covenant and gave you lots of stuff to show your serious commitment to that covenant.

This entire response is so made of win.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:47 pm

It is a good response. Of course I'm aware of this tendency to size opponents up by gear though. My suggestion, which I know a lot of people would hate, is a deliberate deviation. I want an item in which my opponent has the anxiety of guessing what I really have. Currently I already do this just without an item like I described. Example: What happens when an invader wearing heavy armor lemon buffs his great scythe then two hands it? He's about to become aggressive right? What happens when he hangs back though?

Anxiety. I've used this a lot. For a few seconds they'll size you up. Thinking they're being sized up for an attack. Ten seconds go by and many get antsy. Most attack me. While I still have my weapon buff active.

So while that response is appropriate it fails to take into account that it's the exact reason I want the item I mentioned. Again, I don't think it's a popular idea but responses like that are the precise mindset it's meant to fight against. There's nothing wrong with the counter, counter again strategy (see the sword fight in the Princess Bride) it's just not how I'm wired.
    MasterofShadows
    MasterofShadows
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MasterofShadows Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:55 pm

Yes, but you need to make sure that the player is reasonably informed, so that she can make meaningful decisions. Never informing the player what they are up against makes decisions, strategical planning, and modification of tactics useless, which are extremely important in PVP design.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:06 pm

There's a first time for everything. I got killed by the DSS at first. I got killed by the MLGS at first. You play the game, you see items, you're informed. Once you know there's a lookalike, you know you have two possibilities. Would even make a good story line. You think you're fighting a normal mob after a fog gate. Same gear. Same size. Except he's fast and stabs you with his shield. Turns out he's an assassin who liked to blend in. Main point again is that none of us were informed until we played through. I definitely am not saying you have to like the idea to be clear either. But a good discussion is a good discussion big grin
    swordiris
    swordiris
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by swordiris Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:27 pm

I want much more armor variety than DkS1.

I thought it would be cute to have an outfit like this in there.

Spoiler:

As for spells I thought a One winged angel miracle would be cool.

You lose all your life with the buff on and turn into a uber powerful angel with wings that only has 100 hp.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:26 pm

swordiris wrote:I want much more armor variety than DkS1.

I thought it would be cute to have an outfit like this in there.

Spoiler:

As for spells I thought a One winged angel miracle would be cool.

You lose all your life with the buff on and turn into a uber powerful angel with wings that only has 100 hp.
    swordiris wrote:cute to have an outfit like this in there.

Spoiler:
    swordiris wrote:cute
    New unique equipment? 507beb79afa96f4175000084
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:56 pm

i'd like a crossbow combined with a great shield, its L2 would be to fire a shot and its blocking capabilities would be some thing like 100, 25, 80, 25 with stability of around 75
    EverlastingRat
    EverlastingRat
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by EverlastingRat Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:33 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:There's a first time for everything. I got killed by the DSS at first. I got killed by the MLGS at first. You play the game, you see items, you're informed. Once you know there's a lookalike, you know you have two possibilities. Would even make a good story line. You think you're fighting a normal mob after a fog gate. Same gear. Same size. Except he's fast and stabs you with his shield. Turns out he's an assassin who liked to blend in. Main point again is that none of us were informed until we played through. I definitely am not saying you have to like the idea to be clear either. But a good discussion is a good discussion big grin

No one knew shhht the first. When I first played DkS, I had to learn from the enemies and the bosses, and was always on my toes, but after doing NG+ and so on, it's gotten old and doesn't require me to learn anymore just be able to take/deal more damage. I still love playing dark souls after a year though.
    If you as yourself, were aproached on the street by someone you didn't know and provoked to fight, you wouldn't know what they're capable of. You would begin by "testing the waters" (their stance could be an indication of style but you would be testing their reach, speed, maybe technique/power, are they capable of viable kicks or are they brawler types or just plain fuqn stupid). Something like this could keep PVP fresh and force the player to LEARN to ADAPT on the fly, based on combat rather than seeing them from 30 ft, and saying "oh, they're gonna do X, Y, or Z tactics). I mean once you engage, you should be able to understand their capabilities and begin to change your strategy. I love using unique builds with underused weapons/items/armor, it's a lot of fun, for RP, though I'm not great at PVP but still manage to find it fun. Fights become way too short and stale when everyone is using OP equipment. I just liked to be kept on my toes.

On a side note, I'd like to see something like Hidden Weapon, but also, or a separate spell, include your armor. I guess you could appear like a deprived rocking bare fist. I don't know if this could work but whatever.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Sentiel wrote:
    I'd like to see some armor that actually does reduces the damage received, but for example for severely reducing Stamina recovery and/or movement speed. The damage difference between the best armor and being naked is so little, that wearing armor has next to no point. Damage wise, I wasn't talking about Poise and Aux resistances.
    I wish people would stop saying this like it was true. My tanks take a fraction of the damage my lightly armored low poise chars take. The difference inbetween 260-300 defense and 390-440 defense is often over 120 damage a hit from a dex weapon, and upwards of 200 for strength.

and lemme tell you, I only take 300 damage from Great Combustion, when buffed by the crown and bellowing ring.
    CarverUpqik
    CarverUpqik
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CarverUpqik Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:14 pm

aqueous12 wrote:

when it comes to havels shield i just use the ability and put it away because 1 i generally dont have enough str to block with it lol and 2 i hate hiding behind a shield i like to go all out, and with lifehunt i dont care if you bleed i use it because its strong and looks badA. but on topic i want a rapier that takes advantage of the new combined weapon attacks, for example, if you have one in each hand and you parry someone with the left one (or right if they allow you to make you character a lefty in this one[which i doubt....]) and you go to riposte you just repeatedly jab the opponent a bazillion times with both rapiers. now im not saying this does more damage than normal rapier ripostes on the contrary i just want a uniques rapier riposte animation lol
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:26 pm

The dreaded hundred hand slap sword stab. That could be cool
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:27 pm

I would +1 you for the E. Honda reference to Street Fighter, but I'm all out. sad
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Lol, don't sweat it. I could run with the idea.....

Spoiler:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:18 pm