Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
skarekrow13
DemonOfFate
Heroez Blade
dethcurl
8 posters

Looking for unique builds

dethcurl
    dethcurl

Looking for unique builds Empty Looking for unique builds

Post by dethcurl Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm looking for some interesting and unique builds to make a let's play out of. If i choose your build i will give credit to you and thank you on sort of live internet.
    Heroez Blade
    Heroez Blade
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Looking for unique builds Empty Re: Looking for unique builds

Post by Heroez Blade Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 pm

I've got a crazy one for you.... You ready? Try using light/protective armor, duel wield heavy weapons, no spells/pyro/miracles, and anything that helps stamina..

I tried this with multiple weapons in pvp and won a lot of duels. It is really fun and different so theres my idea. You can try it if you want, but you dont have to.
    DemonOfFate
    DemonOfFate
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DemonOfFate Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Here! try my hammer bro build! http://mmdks.com/1jgf thats the foundry's of it, but stats can go pretty much anywhere.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Looks like I need to dust off this one

Spoiler:
    xRamenatorx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xRamenatorx Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:22 pm

Greatbows are really fun

If you want unique then go ring of fog with pyro/dark hand in left hand and weapon/pyro in right hand (dark hand and pyro are invisible tjanks to ring of fog and try two handing the pyro in your right hand xD). Build works well with bellowing dragonescent ring and crown of dusk for extra points of pyro damage
    LumpyScarecrow
    LumpyScarecrow

Post by LumpyScarecrow Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:30 am

*edited after watching video

I just checked out your first two Dark Souls videos on YouTube. It seems like you have the chattiness and energy to pull it off. I liked it.

I would give you tips on commentating that I have learned in my experience such as never faking difficulty, never hiding emotion, and always being you, but you seem to have all of that figured out (and, as a start up YouTuber you probably get a tiresome amount of advice already).

I do, however, have some stuff to say about the let's play, and I realize that you're simply asking for a build idea, but hear me out. I, and many other viewers, have seen Dark Souls let's plays where the commentator isn't terrible but isn't in the top 3 percentile in skill level. The reason to watch those is either because the commentator is very well known and his fans that he has accrued over the years (because of videos that stood out) will watch everything he makes, or the viewers searched "Dark Souls Let's Play" for the first time and clicked on the one with the most views (being new to the game themselves). Unfortunately, my like-minded viewer brothers and I don't want to watch somebody die sometimes and pull off some pretty good moves every once in awhile. The middle ground (where you lie) is boring to us if something drastically interesting isn't added. We make up a lot of the YouTube viewer population.

You're not going to be the best at this game and you are far from the worst. Conquering this game with awe inspiring skills, pvp kills, and amazing time records can only be accomplished by a very select few, and even they seem to get a lot less viewer traffic than the charismatic Dark Souls "noobs". I think a large reason for this is that us viewers find ourselves cheering so hard for the commentator when things get rough. It isn't certain he'll get through it. He's trying his hardest (and we love when they try hard), but there is some unavoidable obstacle he can't get by. This gets us addicted. We've been there, and even if we haven't, we can imagine ourselves there.

Now, there isn't much you can do about your skill level, so I completely understand why you're looking for an interesting and unique build to add something to your let's play. The problem with just adding a unique build, is that you aren't creating that emotional tie between us, the viewers, and yourself. Although an underused weapon/armor/playstyle/fat roll can make us go "cool, I haven't seen that before", we know that you can beat the game and you have no strict restrictions preventing you to do so. We don't feel really bad for you when it gets rough and we don't feel really good for you when you accomplish something. From what I've seen, you have the chatty charisma you need for your viewers to like you, but there is no emotional connection in that type of let's play (I didn't know how to word that without sounding like a cheesy bastard).

My suggestion is to do a unique challenge run that is hard enough to cause you to get stuck multiple times on unavoidable obstacles while trying your very best. We need to feel your frustration, sorrow, and eventual sense of accomplishment. The challenge run should have strict rules so that you, and us, avoid the sense that the challenge is getting molded so that you can make it easier or harder to your liking and instead get the feeling of something solid being accomplished. I would avoid setting your own rules for your challenge. It needs to seem as if you're beating somebodies evil unbeatable game (Such as the relationship all of us Dark Souls players have with From Software). I would avoid role playing challenges. I think it's beneficial to you and us to be cheering for you and not playing pretend. Everything you do and say as a commentator should seem genuine and real (I know I seem like I'm getting a bit deep, but that's a pretty consistent variable in successful YouTube commentators).

Now, after all that. I just recently made a challenge game that I think would be a great candidate for the specific type of challenge let's play I think you should be doing. I know...I come off biased. I do think there must be other challenge games in the community that would also be great candidates too, so maybe look around if you decide to do one.

If you decide to not go the hard challenge route, hopefully you got something out of this and don't just shrug it off like just another guy on the internet telling you what to do.

Anyway,here's a link to the challenge creator game

If you're still looking for a fun build for **** around that makes you feel badass and is unique(ish), one of my favourite builds is a Gravelord Servant themed build that uses the following guidelines:

• Start with a warrior or bandit
    • Pump strength up to 16 or 24 (depending on your view on shields)
    • As soon as you feel comfortable enough to make it to the grave and kill the Prowling Demon guarding the eyes of death nearby, join the Gravelord Servants and get the beautiful Gravelord Sword. This can be done as soon as you get out of the asylum, but it requires some boss rolls and you'll have to lose the demon's agro (which has a huge range) if you don't want to poke at it forever
    • Find something scary to wear (gold-hemmed, crimson, etc.). If you really want to look like a maniac-death-servant the antiquated set with the golem helm would get me turning the other way
    • Farm/Buy a lot of dung and throw it at everything that deserves it
    • Acquire the mist pyromancies to spread the miasma of death
    • From their you have 4 options. You could stick with the gravelord sword and concentrate stats towards vitality and endurance. You could continue to pump your strength and find some really heavy weapons to flatten everything you swing at (bosses die to a few swings with the large club and it sticks with the poison/toxin spreading theme). You could pump up faith to get better use out of the gravelord greatsword dance and maybe some of the fun miracles (forces). You could pump intelligence, use velka's talisman for the dance, get the dark sorceries, and get the fun sorceries (chameleon, hidden body, hidden weapon, and hush) to be a sneaky servant of death

Thanks for reading! I'll check out the rest of your let's play when I get a chance.

Last edited by LumpyScarecrow on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:24 am

Naxek
    Naxek
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Naxek Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:45 am

Heroez Blade wrote:I've got a crazy one for you.... You ready? Try using light/protective armor, duel wield heavy weapons, no spells/pyro/miracles, and anything that helps stamina..

I tried this with multiple weapons in pvp and won a lot of duels. It is really fun and different so theres my idea. You can try it if you want, but you dont have to.

That is my DeS 3-2 troll build. I have heavy weapons to knock people off the bridges. silly

As for Dark Souls, this is my original build. (Albeit with some help from various forum goers. ^_^

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=174339552868068118

dethcurl
    dethcurl

Post by dethcurl Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:36 am

wow these are some great suggestions! :o and Lumpy Scarecrow, your message was very inspiring and i think i shall go with your build happy and i may go with either dual hammers, dual claymores, or some fist weapons later on. Thank you so much guys for all the help and ill start making videos right away!
    Heroez Blade
    Heroez Blade
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Heroez Blade Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:43 am

Be sure to post the videos on this topic and give credit to the people that gave you the ideas. I look foreward to seeing them.
    dethcurl
    dethcurl

Post by dethcurl Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:28 am

i most certainly will happy thanks so much guys for the help
    dethcurl
    dethcurl

Post by dethcurl Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:51 pm

so i chose to go the with random challenge game that lumpy scarecrow posted to make my character, and heres what ive got

-warrior
    -old witch's ring
    -way of white/princess' guard
    -elite knight set/black sorcerer set
    -ult. greatswords/curved greatswords
    -dark hand
    -stoneplates/ring of steel protection/cloranthy ring
    -must kill priscilla before orstien and smough, and no summons for bell gargoyles and iron golem
    -must use white soap stone to help fight bell gargoyles, capra, quelaag, iron golem, ornstein and smough, and 1 other boss (im choosing gravelord nito)

gonna be interesting to do since i dont have any internet, but ill go to a friends house and do the last challenge there, then do a post-commentary. i have a feeling its gonna be alot of fun tho happy
    dethcurl
    dethcurl

Post by dethcurl Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 am

Ok i just posted my first video happy hope you guys enjoy
    https://youtu.be/6n5KDpnRpCE
    LumpyScarecrow
    LumpyScarecrow

Post by LumpyScarecrow Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Awesome! I'm excited for the rest of the videos!

• You can mix and match the armor. You can be naked if you want.
    • You don't have to use anything that you rolled (such as Dark Hand). Go ahead and fist it up!
    • You can put anything that you're allowed to use in any hand (2-hand or 1-hand)
    • All items are allowed.

You're following the rules perfect from what I see, other than the online, but it's not a big deal as I said. I completely understand that sometimes being online all the time doesn't work for some people. Love it!
    dethcurl
    dethcurl

Post by dethcurl Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 pm

update:
    thanks so much guys for following my frustrating journey so far happy ive got a couple of episodes of me online in the works right now so hopefully ill have them out for viewing in the next couple days. if anybody online wants to hit up online, ill let everyone know when im gonna be online next. thanks so much guys for the support happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 am