Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Sloth9230
Acarnatia
Forum Pirate
TehInfamousAmos
Reaperfan
steveswede
Kyliax
Serious_Much
AnCapaillMor
densetsushun
nsane32
Dubscythe
Maneater_Mildred
Saturday-Saint
Tolvo
Soris Ice Goldwing
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
morte
swordiris
User1
XachAttack
25 posters

Is "gamer girl" a derogatory term?

WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Is "gamer girl" a derogatory term? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is "gamer girl" a derogatory term?

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:30 pm

lol. I don't know whether to laugh or feel bad for that Jesse guy.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Is "gamer girl" a derogatory term? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is "gamer girl" a derogatory term?

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:35 pm

He just did that for the joke, he actually doesn't have any interest in Felicia Day except as a possible friend or business partner.
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:37 pm

saw this on another forum think it sums a lot of peoples attitudes. A gamer is a gamer, dudes get weird looks, girls get weirder looks.

Is "gamer girl" a derogatory term? - Page 2 ISi2dRX
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Oh man, you reminded me of an instance where after hearing about it, I wanted to punch my friend in the face.

So one time at his college an old friend of mine was sitting down drawing in his sketchbook. He is a brony and was drawing his own MLP characters. A girl sat down next to him who was apparently pretty. She looked at his drawing and asked him if he was drawing a pokemon. He had a pokemon notebook and a few anime books. He informed her it was a pony to which she seemed interested. She then asked him if he plays video games since she was finally going to buy a PS3 and wanted to know about what sort of games are popular that she might enjoy.

He then turned to her, asked her to please leave, and told her she was a fake gamer that he didn't want to associate with.

After hearing about that part I felt really sorry for her, for having to deal with him. And I felt pity for him, because godamnit. It seems like she was flirting with him or being very friendly. He said she was being too friendly and obviously knew nothing about gaming.

Of course she didn't, she said she was finally going to get a PS3 and wanted to get into gaming.

Godamnit JP you *** idiot!

Not to mention this guy is the most desperate person I've ever met. He gives random women he meets his phone number, he'll hit on anyone, and he's a really tall guy with small clothes and an afro, he's white.

I want to go back in time, slap him in the face, and tell him to be nice to that girl.
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:19 pm

Damn Tolvo, that story makes my heart ache. I hope she found someone to hang out with.

I really need to get out more and meet some of these people >->.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:40 pm

I must admit that I have been known to reply to hatemail in a friendly manner.....

Their mail. Learn 2 play noob.
    My reply. You just got beat by a 39 year old housewife, who needs to learn 2 play?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:45 pm

I hope you were wearing Giants with a Mask while referring to yourself as a housewife.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:50 pm

Don't be like that. tongue lol
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:55 pm

Let it be known I don't have anything against female gamers, gender doesn't mean anything to me, if you play then you play. I just hate people who only seem to play/stream/make vids for the attention, or because it's the "cool" thing to do right now.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:02 pm

I forgot to mention to you guys in case you didn't notice.

I'm a gamebro.
    morte
    morte
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by morte Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm pretty sure we assumed that from your avatar.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Unless my avatar has a picture of my junk, you shouldn't assume I'm a man!

That's sexist somehow!
    morte
    morte
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by morte Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:30 pm

No it isn't. You can't be sexist against men!

Seriously, though. I would think that most women wouldn't want a dude's face as theirs on a forum, but that's just me.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 pm

I second that point. Also, I have seen your perverted jokes, which crack me up. The only other woman I know that does that is my girlfriend.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Considering I wish I could get a girlfriend who likes games, I really don't think so silly

anime lovers and nerds will have to do lol!
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:38 pm

They're out there Serious, my girlfriend is an even more hardcore gamer than I am at times silly
    Kyliax
    Kyliax

Post by Kyliax Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:03 pm

Personally, I don't mind the term being used. I understand that as a (gaming) society we've grown accustomed to using the term. However, I do find it derogatory in the sense that when it comes to a gamer, who happens to be female, it is somehow expected to focus on the differing genitals, while males get to just call themselves the default status of 'gamer'. I feel that after +2000 years of sexism, we should be able to focus on some other excluding criteria than just differing genders, thank you very much.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Maneater_Mildred wrote:I wouldn't take offence at the term, but I would not use it to describe myself.

I am a gamer, all other info is irrelevant.

I love this quote, it's to the point and a big up yours to the bigots.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Kyliax wrote:Personally, I don't mind the term being used. I understand that as a (gaming) society we've grown accustomed to using the term. However, I do find it derogatory in the sense that when it comes to a gamer, who happens to be female, it is somehow expected to focus on the differing genitals, while males get to just call themselves the default status of 'gamer'. I feel that after +2000 years of sexism, we should be able to focus on some other excluding criteria than just differing genders, thank you very much.

Thing is though I see it as a compliment, a girl gamer is pretty uncommon, and awesome. I see it as a good thing, makes people more unique and fun than typical girls winking
    Kyliax
    Kyliax

Post by Kyliax Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:53 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Kyliax wrote:Personally, I don't mind the term being used. I understand that as a (gaming) society we've grown accustomed to using the term. However, I do find it derogatory in the sense that when it comes to a gamer, who happens to be female, it is somehow expected to focus on the differing genitals, while males get to just call themselves the default status of 'gamer'. I feel that after +2000 years of sexism, we should be able to focus on some other excluding criteria than just differing genders, thank you very much.

Thing is though I see it as a compliment, a girl gamer is pretty uncommon, and awesome. I see it as a good thing, makes people more unique and fun than typical girls winking

That would be pretty awesome and all, but 'girl gamers' are not uncommon, and most of all not 'unique'. Again, I don't mind the term being used itself, but what it represents is not okay. A lot of people are gamers nowadays and to distinguish on the basis of gender alone makes for a lot of exclusion and hatred :/. A lot of people are gamers, whether it be FPS, mobile or RPG's. As far as I know, it doesn't make any males unique, so why should it make girls unique? We just love gaming, regardless of gender, so why exclude, even if only by common terms alone?

Edit: for grammar.
    morte
    morte
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by morte Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:18 pm

Kyliax wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:

That would be pretty awesome and all, but 'girl gamers' are not uncommon, and most of all not 'unique'. Again, I don't mind the term being used itself, but what it represents is not okay. A lot of people are gamers nowadays and to distinguish on the basis of gender alone makes for a lot of exclusion and hatred :/. A lot of people are gamers, whether it be FPS, mobile or RPG's. As far as I know, it doesn't make any males unique, so why should it make girls unique? We just love gaming, regardless of gender, so why exclude, even if only by common terms alone?

Edit: for grammar.

It's quite funny. I see gamer girl as a breaking down of the kinds of stereotype lines that are drawn with these things. For me, I see it as being good that more girls are getting into gaming, since it helps break down the barriers. Furthermore, as Serious wrote, it makes the girl herself more interesting if she plays videogames since we have something to talk about right off the bat.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:51 pm

^^This

But seriously, ouch. Learn to take a compliment :|

Anyways, I dunno where you're from, but there definitely are not a lot of gamer girls.. like at all. Tell me where to find them and I'll forever be in your debt silly

I think you're confusing what i mean by the term though. I'm not saying you're a gamer if you're someone who plays angry birds on their Iphone. A gamer isn't someone who just casually plays a bit of fifa or COD every now and again. To me, a gamer is someone who is interested in gaming, plays a good amount and has a collection of games (not necessarily large, but at least a little diverse)

Owning many consoles and over 100 games i class myself as a gamer. A little kid who just got bought an xbox and plays a bit of cod every now and again is not.

Anyways, i don't really get where people get this whole hatred fro female gamers is from.. i think they're more desired and welcomed.. But just because some kid gets sexist when you beat his *** down doesnt mean there's a gender hatred in gaming, he just wants to insult you.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:12 pm

This may not be relevant to this topic in terms of gaming, but it very correctly tackles the issue with attributing one's gender to what one does or accomplishes.

TLDR; The problem is that the mere attribution of one's gender(specifically when mentioning a female) entirely overshadows the accomplishment.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:20 pm

I think the nurturing of underlings should be kept in, as thats important for all bosses to do, male or female.

I think that is very much aimed around accomplishments.. Traits arent really relevant to the point of the article.

On the flip side, you could also say it's sexist that men don't get complimented for any of those things, but women do. Just cus we're men its not good if we can balance work and having a family? Why can't we be a role model for other men?

I actually think it kinda defeats itself there.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Then men should be equally complimented. If you want to take that stance.

I quite like that article, it represents exactly why I'm not fond of how the term Girl Gamer is used.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:16 pm