Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
johnnyjwa
Ghadis_God
Spurgun
Automancer
8 posters

Scythe and the Gargoyle's Halberd. What's the difference?

Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Scythe and the Gargoyle's Halberd. What's the difference? Empty Scythe and the Gargoyle's Halberd. What's the difference?

Post by Automancer Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:25 am

I'm looking for a secondary weapon to play around with together with my Gargoyle's Tail Axe. I've never used to Gargoyle's Halberd before and it has a similar moveset to the halberd Scythe. What's the difference between them? Something special? Other than the 2 more stat requirement in Str that the Gargoyle needs, the only extra i know of is that it grants you added resistances.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Scythe and the Gargoyle's Halberd. What's the difference? Empty Re: Scythe and the Gargoyle's Halberd. What's the difference?

Post by Spurgun Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:42 am

The scythe scales more with dex, so it will be more powerful with a dex build while the G halberd needs a quality build to do max damage (excluding elementals). They do almost identical damage with a 40/40 build, but the G halberd is longer,
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Scythe and the Gargoyle's Halberd. What's the difference? Empty Re: Scythe and the Gargoyle's Halberd. What's the difference?

Post by Ghadis_God Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:20 pm

The G. Hal also does regular physical damage, while the Scythe does slash damage. Also, what Spur said. If you have just dex, the Scythe will be stronger.
    johnnyjwa
    johnnyjwa
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by johnnyjwa Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:57 pm

The G.halberd also increases you bleed toxic and poison res by 25%.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Scythe is cooler, nuf said.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Juutas wrote:Scythe is cooler, nuf said.

I don't chose my equipment based on looks silly, so i prefer the G halberd.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:33 pm

what everyone said, the gargoyle is better overall but it requires more points in both str and dex but if you have a quality build you should definately try it. if you have a pure dex build the scythe is the btter choice. i prefer the gargoyle halberd since reach is very important(specially in pvp) and it hits like a truck.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:00 pm

Afafik the Gargoyle Halberd is also affected by the Leo Ring, even though it has no thrusting attacks.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:43 am

Is the difference in reach big between both weapons? So if i'm going for a quality build with the G. Halberd, what stats would be good? 16/40, 27/40 or 40,40? I'm trying to get this build to stay at SL100.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:51 am

I'm running a garg build right now like this:
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=352830779826182317

It gets some pretty good fights. Of course most of my equipment is personal choice, and not at all required. I like the colour of the metal in the target shield and it fits nicely with the Gargoyle metal colour. But if you are going 100 its easy to get 40/40 I would reccomend you do, so you ARE actually doing more damage with the Halberd than with the Scythe.

My 65 garg runs at a 16/30 and he does just as well, but if you're going to have 100 points to place might as well max out damage.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:00 am

ublug wrote:Afafik the Gargoyle Halberd is also affected by the Leo Ring, even though it has no thrusting attacks.

How is this possible? It has no thrusting animation moves...
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:26 am

Yukon wrote:I'm running a garg build right now like this:
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=352830779826182317

It gets some pretty good fights. Of course most of my equipment is personal choice, and not at all required. I like the colour of the metal in the target shield and it fits nicely with the Gargoyle metal colour. But if you are going 100 its easy to get 40/40 I would reccomend you do, so you ARE actually doing more damage with the Halberd than with the Scythe.

My 65 garg runs at a 16/30 and he does just as well, but if you're going to have 100 points to place might as well max out damage.

Here's one i made. http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=406815480694679117
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:30 pm

if youre going for an sl 99 quality build go 27str(or 28 is you wanna use the mura) and 40 dex and two hand your weapon. those 13 points can be used for something for important, here's what you could do and save 13 points http://mmdks.com/gkc
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Are you talking to me Rant? You gave back my build, his had the gargoyle tail axe as well.

I never even thought to check the 2h stats, the stupid thing is I only ever use my G.halberd as a 2h weapon... So, excuse me while I just steal that a little... :o
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:16 pm

i was talking to the op, for some reason i cant see the links on my pc so i dont know what your build looks like lol. that buil is very similar to mine, except mine has 47 poise and no pyro which can be very useful against turtle.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 pm