Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Jansports
BackstabFisherman
Ghadis_God
callipygias
OrnsteinBro
n0rain
cloudyeki
nsane32
IV_Mark_VI
13 posters

How to deal with people that backpedal constantly - no magic

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

How to deal with people that backpedal constantly - no magic Empty How to deal with people that backpedal constantly - no magic

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Hey everyone,

Occasionally I'm invaded by guys that just raise their shield and backpedal constantly. I play a non-magic using build (well, some limited pyromancy) and my main weapons are Claymore, Silver Knight Spear but I'm working on upgrading the Great Scythe, the Murakumo, the Falcion.

These guys that just backpedal with a shield up until another invader comes in and then try to gank annoy the heck out of me. If I try to rush, they go for a counter backstab. If I throw dung pies, they roll away or they go for the backstab. The rest of the time they just backpedal, shield raised.

Magic would work. Dead angling would work, but I find it very hard witha claymore (hence, why I'm getting the scythe). Any other advice?

Last edited by IV_Mark_VI on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

How to deal with people that backpedal constantly - no magic Empty Re: How to deal with people that backpedal constantly - no magic

Post by nsane32 Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Force
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

How to deal with people that backpedal constantly - no magic Empty Re: How to deal with people that backpedal constantly - no magic

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:26 pm

I don't have magic.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Great Scythe and Poison Arrows.
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:29 pm

kicking and keep hitting to wear down stamina
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:30 pm

Ok; these are normally people using a shield with 84+ stamina. Other people I can just bust through their stamina with attacks. Poison arrows and scythe are options so far, but I hate the scythe... its an awesome weapon, I just think it's stupid.
    n0rain
    n0rain
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by n0rain Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:31 pm

A shotel's R2 is very good at scaring turtles. The Crescent Axe is the same way.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Shotel! Totally forgot about that. Pray tell about the Crescent Axe; does it go through shields?
    n0rain
    n0rain
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by n0rain Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:47 pm

It's a long faith based shotel. the 2 handed swings go through shields. I have even had 1 handed swings go through them so I don't know how to gauge it, but it is slightly less frequent then the Shotel in my experience.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Really? I had no idea. So 2H swings with R2 and R1 both go through shields? Or is it a form of dead angling you were doing?
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Just let them backpedal. If you're invading, stick yourself between them and the nearest fog door/summoning sign hotspot. If you're the guy getting invaded, you actually have the leisure to let them fool around there all day lol. If it's a duel, just stand there and they can't capitalize on your over-aggressiveness.

In any case, they are eventually going to get bored of performing their one-man tapdance. When that happens you can punish them.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Normally I host in the forest. So it's only a matter of time befoer another invader comes in, so I try to push them, which normally leads to me making a mistake out of frustration.

They're buying time for their ganking forest buddies to come in and tag team me, normally.
    n0rain
    n0rain
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by n0rain Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:54 pm

I think the weapon has a natural dead angle. What I think happens is because of it's length and wide swing it dead angles even if you are standing in front of them. It does go through shields on the 2 handed swings though.
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:26 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Normally I host in the forest. So it's only a matter of time befoer another invader comes in, so I try to push them, which normally leads to me making a mistake out of frustration.

They're buying time for their ganking forest buddies to come in and tag team me, normally.

Oh, those kinds of people, lol.

Back when I hosted in the forest I'd just let them try to two-team me. I would strongly advise that you try invading to improve your 1v2 game.

It's actually much easier killing two invaders at once than killing a host and his phantom because the invaders can't estus, and are almost certainly at a lower level than you are. They are also very susceptible to the usual 1v2 tricks (Backstabs, parry baiting, etc)
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:34 pm

Yeah I did backstab one, and was fighting the other, but the damaged one just healed.

I reallys hould fight it out, and devise winning strategies. I feel I don't have the tools wiht this build to pull it off.

Here's what I have:
    Weapons: Claymore, Silver Spear
    Grass Crest shield (I switch this depending on what they bring), pyromancy flame (or Composite Bow)

Rings are DWGR and Wolf. ARmour is elite knight, with giant gauntlets.

Stats are: 45 VIT, 45ish End, 40 str, 40 dex, 16 ATT. Int/faith are 9.

If I had a WoG or something to finish them when I backstab them, that would be great.

PS: Elly Tran is hot.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:16 pm

You should check out Tking's forest pvp vids. He usually uses a greatsword, he hosts, and he's really effective when invanked. Usually when the 2nd guy shows he moves to the bridge between areas. I'll post a link when I get home tonight if no one else does (and if I remember).
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:48 pm

The clay's running attack can dead angle. I'm not so good at it but you basically run past the opponent to your left and start the attack while parallel to them, depending on how they're moving.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Do you face towards them from the side?

As I understand dead angling, it's what way I'm facing, and what way they're facing. So I would need to look left, right, or away from them to dead angle.

I've had a hard time doing that with a claymore; I find it's reach is a bit lacking compared to some other weapons.
    BackstabFisherman
    BackstabFisherman
    Regular
    Regular

Post by BackstabFisherman Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:50 pm

Use a bow, bring poison arrows, and poison them through their shield. People who hold their shield up and backpedal too much are usually turtler noobs, and are prone to panicking when you hit them with a status effect like poison. Wait on them to much grass if they got an item to cure it, or if they are really stupid they will try to use an item from the menu. Use a chaos +5 composite bow. Even at 45 dex it hits harder than the +15 vs most things and people, and definitely hits more vs shield users.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:12 pm

While it does hit harder against shields, the damage split is still lower than a solid hit from a 25 str 40 dex composite +15. As well, using arrows to get them to flip is a viable tactic if you can get them jammed in a corner. In the forest it may be difficult, but just remember the area layout and lead them near the entrance to the basin, all the trees there will get them jammed for sure.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:16 pm

The running attack is a 360 swing of the weapon, so you don't change your direction at all. Ideally, when the attack hits, you want to be to the side of, or slightly behind, them. Then the Dead angle will work.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:51 pm

Lets see how well I can ascii art these days.

OY= <--- run here
    | <-- A claymore's running attack starts around here
    OD= <-- this guy is the turtle(look at that shield!)

Yeap I'm still awful. but I think it gets the general idea across. you don't change your facing really just clip them with the wide arc as you run past.

Your build sounds pretty Quality, Claymore A Spear you could probably make good use of the Composite bow.
    Jovias-86
    Jovias-86
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jovias-86 Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:54 am

KICK!
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:58 am

Jovias-86 wrote:KICK!

ROAR!
    That's my usual strategy. I have no idea what to do if i couldn't roar.
    Maybe i would poison them, or deadangle.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Avelyn

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:58 am