Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Heroez Blade
BLA1NE
Rifter7
7 posters

is there a soul spear/soulmass dex bonus?

Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

is there a soul spear/soulmass dex bonus? Empty is there a soul spear/soulmass dex bonus?

Post by Rifter7 Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:41 am

i was led to believe that these spells weren't effected by cast speed increases from dex.

recently i've been mucking around with a bunch of new builds and i wanted to be doubly sure if they're effected or not, as i can't find any actual footage measuring the spells speed increases.

all i've gotten is "i'm pretty sure it does/doesn't" or "idk" from people.

does anyone know for sure, or even better, have a youtube clip of it?
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

is there a soul spear/soulmass dex bonus? Empty Re: is there a soul spear/soulmass dex bonus?

Post by Rifter7 Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:41 am

my information comes from originally came from this thread..
    i'm not quite sure if any more testing has been done since tho...

also that last post wondering about how itd be incorporated into builds... lol.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/61418958?page=2
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

is there a soul spear/soulmass dex bonus? Empty Re: is there a soul spear/soulmass dex bonus?

Post by BLA1NE Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:02 am

Have you tried testing it yourself? Not very difficult, but you do need 2 characters, 1 with high dex and the other with no dex, with multiple attunments of the spell, ideally. Just time yourself casting all the spells successively, that way you'll be able to notice if there's a difference. Unless you've got very precise equipment for it, it's practically impossible to measure the difference in 1 cast. But if you cast the spell 20 times in a row, then the difference will be compounded and, by dividing, you'll know the difference in 1 cast.

I haven't played Dark Souls in a while, otherwise I'd do the testing for you myself right now... Maybe I'll play DkS a bit today, then...

In the mean time: https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t6831-the-effect-of-dex-on-magic-casting-speed
    Heroez Blade
    Heroez Blade
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Heroez Blade Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:48 pm

The only thing dex does for spells is increases the casting speed. It does not effect the damage as far as i know.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:38 pm

BLA1NE wrote:Have you tried testing it yourself? Not very difficult, but you do need 2 characters, 1 with high dex and the other with no dex, with multiple attunments of the spell, ideally. Just time yourself casting all the spells successively, that way you'll be able to notice if there's a difference. Unless you've got very precise equipment for it, it's practically impossible to measure the difference in 1 cast. But if you cast the spell 20 times in a row, then the difference will be compounded and, by dividing, you'll know the difference in 1 cast.

I haven't played Dark Souls in a while, otherwise I'd do the testing for you myself right now... Maybe I'll play DkS a bit today, then...

In the mean time: https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t6831-the-effect-of-dex-on-magic-casting-speed

i will actually be testing it soon. i have a 45 dex toon with soulspear and soulmass, i'm just getting the 16 dex or whatever its at one to seath atm.

if no one replies then i'll list my information.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:00 am

okay so i compared soulmass and soul spear to crystal soulmass and crystal soulspear.

i haven't freed logan from seath yet.

the regular spells where on a char with 10 dex. the crystal on a 45
    soulmass casted .2 seconds slower at 1 and .8
    soulspear casted .2 seconds slower at 1.2 and 1

for soulmass i hit start as soon as i hit L1 to cast, and then stopped as soon as the orbs came out/replaced the old ones.
    for soulspear i hit start as soon as i hit L1 to cast, and then stopped as soon as the casting noise began.

i'll compare again once i have crystal versions.

i used my blackberry's stopwatch to do this, and tested each one about 30 times each to compare all the values due to human error. while i know this data can't be treated as 100% accurate, in my defense i'm a musician and a bassist, so my timing is pretty decent compared to maybe someone without that background experience.

it's effected by dex. i didn't even need the stopwatch to notice it, but again im not comparing the same spells so hang on.

also my bbg mule is missing it's logan's catalyst so the 10 dex character was using a sorcs cat.. not that that should effect it.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:26 am

Since I'm curious (and one myself) What kinda bass you got man?

also this is disheartening if true. I had liked that some spells didn't need Dex to be optimal, it made 50int builds worthwhile at 120
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:03 am

a jay turser JTB-400C (whys it highlighted?) ive played since the day i decided to learn the bass in that pawn shop.. like 8-9 years ago or something.
    its probably on the top 100 list for crappiest basses on the planet, after one being used in a bar fight and before a 2 by 4 with strings on it.

doesn't matter to much to me tho, i can make it sound like its worth over a grand.

ive got an ibanez 5 string somewhere and some others i sold in the past. only really use this one tho.

and yeah like i said it wasn't tested right by any means. i have to actually relevel a toon because logan is buthurt that i forgot him in sens fortress and didnt go to archives.
    i gave him something to be mad about when i 1 hit him with the mlgs r2 tho haha.
    once the chars are the same in terms of spells/gear i'll compare them properly.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:40 am

good stuff, I have a soft spot in my heart for crappy intstruments. I keep a fender fretless around that's an awful purple POS but I love it anyway.

Yeah I can't count how many hours I've lost to logan being a baby who can't get out of sen's alone. frustrating
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:39 am

.2 seconds? Almost the same as Blaine's results. He got a .18 seconds difference. I wonder what's the exact difference of pyros and miracles (yes lightning spears and wogs are affected too).
    Zhangbob
    Zhangbob
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Zhangbob Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:16 am

I can tell you this the 45 dex helps a ton. I was pvping all today and the spell casters i did fight were real easy to dodge, but those ones with 45 dex really were a lot harder to fight. not only was it harder to dodge, but unlike the non dex ones i couldnt wait to see whether it was orbs or the CSS, because by the time i saw if it was the CSS it would have already registered on my character so i couldnt capitalize on the orbs being cast or any other sorc.

Also being a caster myself without dex, the only way to get off my spells reliably without the dex is to use sword and shielf the whole match until a crucial moment and suprise them with a CSS or homing to heal or stop their healing (unless i cast CSS right when they start their heal chugging they will be able to dodge it before it gets to them).

Also side note. with out the dex chemeleon and the "suprise" spells are a waste of time in pvp unles your using it to hide and wait.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:22 am

For sorcery i disagree, dex doesn't really help. For miracles and pyros its huge, but not so much for sorcery. Because of the beiber rings (dwgr) invincibility frames, 2tenths of a second isn't helpful at all in my experience.
    Zhangbob
    Zhangbob
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Zhangbob Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:29 am

I have never used a miracle before, why does it help them more?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:34 am

Yes. It could be that, because the fast miracles are so fast and the slow miracles are so slow, it doesn't actually increase the speed by much more than it does for int, but (imo) it makes a bigger difference.
    Zhangbob
    Zhangbob
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Zhangbob Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:36 am

does it still cut off .2 seconds even though the miracles normally cast faster?

would force or WotG cast faster with it or are those uneffected.

Edit: Also founkd this for those who want a visual difference. of some casting speeds.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynX3nOHDhCA

Last edited by Zhangbob on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:45 am; edited 2 times in total
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:40 am

Faster.

I don't know how much time it cuts off of miracles, but its a much bigger deal to cut fractions of a second from the already fast wog than it is to cut the same time off the really slow css.
    Zhangbob
    Zhangbob
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Zhangbob Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:52 am

i CSS is really hard to see coming if used from a chameleon person big grin with dex you cant typically safely use chameleon when being run at to untarget yourself to mess up their run then CSS which they only see the missile coming from the mass of glowing parts that fall off you as the disguise breaks. big grin

Honestly my advice to others reading the thread. watch some videos of the casting time differences and decide if that is worth dumping the points for 45 dex. It is a big investment.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:22 am

i agree with forum pirate. the only reason my other caster has 45 dex is because they also have gcf and gc.

but knowing about it definitely doesn't hurt
    and yeah it's not EXACTLY .2 seconds. i mean i was pushing start and stop on a blackberry ffs lol.
    it's roughly that.
    Zhangbob
    Zhangbob
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Zhangbob Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:23 am

gcf?
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:32 am

great chaos fireball. its the one that leaves lava behind and takes 2 attunement slots, you get it from chaos servant.

pretty beast spell imo, never leave home without it.
    Zhangbob
    Zhangbob
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Zhangbob Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:41 am

interdasting may give that a look at ;D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 pm