Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
DoughGuy
BLA1NE
6 posters

The effect of Dex on Magic casting speed

BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

The effect of Dex on Magic casting speed Empty The effect of Dex on Magic casting speed

Post by BLA1NE Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:36 pm

While playing today, I decided to do a quick impromptu test of the casting speed on two of my characters. To my knowledge, we don't actually have any numbers quantifying the difference, so I thought it was more than time someone did a test! There is that video on youtube, but it's hard to get a real idea of the difference Dex makes from watching that, and it's possible that Sorceries are affected differently than Pyro. Since I have no fancy equipment, I figured the simple crude way would be to:

- Cast 50 Great Soul Arrows, time with a stopwatch
    - Do it once with a character with "max casting speed" (he has 50 Dex), once with a character with almost, or probably, minimal casting speed (16 Dex).

I decided to cast it 50 times so even a small difference would be evident. My results were actually pretty conclusive:

- 50 Great Soul Arrows @ 50 Dex: 1:24.6
    - 50 Great Soul Arrows @ 16 Dex: 1:33.5

Do the math, and it comes out to 1.69 seconds per Great Soul Arrow at 50 Dex and 1.87 seconds each at 16 Dex. Do the math again and it comes out to a cool 10% difference. I'd say that sounds like an intentional number if I ever saw one!

So based on my crude test, the difference between base casting and maximum casting speed, for Sorcery, is probably 10%. I say probably because I only tested Great Soul Arrows, so if anyone really cares they could test other spells too (unfortunately, I don't have 50 Crystal Soul Spears on any of my characters!). While 10% may sound like a nice payoff, keep in mind you do need to raise your Dex all the way to 45 to get it, and in the end the real difference ends up being .18 seconds. Whether that's worth all those levels is up to you! (Myself, I still think being able to setup the right opportunity to land your spell is more important than 10% faster casting speed, which is why I never bought into this Dex for casters craze. But I won't argue if you feel otherwise!)
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

The effect of Dex on Magic casting speed Empty Re: The effect of Dex on Magic casting speed

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Could you do a pyromancy test too? Because I think pyromancy has a bigger change. +1 anyway.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

The effect of Dex on Magic casting speed Empty Re: The effect of Dex on Magic casting speed

Post by BLA1NE Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 pm

I could potentially do it with combustion. That should give me enough casts to get a noticeable difference with my crude method.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 pm

You rcrude method is actually pretty acurate. The only way to increase its acuracy is a better timing method and repeats of it. So I'd trust what you've got.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 pm

Before you do a pyro test you probably should repeat your Great Soul Arrow test another 3 more times or so to get your results down even more accurately.

But, that aside, great work. Very informative. +1
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:47 pm

You do it 3 more times! lol

I would've repeated it again, but 10% felt like too nice a number to doubt it. If I did it again, for sorceries, it would only be to test if other spells are affected the same. It may be 10% faster for projectile spells (don't even know that; soul spears could be different), but not necessarily for support spells or weapon enhancing spells. So rather than do soul arrows again, I'd do other types of sorceries.

Then do different types of pyros, starting with combustion.
    FrEyes
    FrEyes
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by FrEyes Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:04 am

Good job! I have always wondered how this goes but I am too lazy to test it out myself big grin
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:01 am

That's a very minimal difference. I expected at least 30% faster. Can you do this with Lightning Spear? I really noticed a difference on its casting speed.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Hmm, I think I only have 1 character with lightning spears--not too fond of Fth! Rumor is Fth doesn't get casting speed bonus though, no? But you're right, this should be tested too. Unfortunately I'm pretty certain I'm not equipped to be the one to test it...
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:16 pm

I noticed a significant difference on Lightning Spears and WoGs on my Dex/Faith build. It has 40 Dex.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:29 pm

I found a big difference in Fire Storm Spells on my pyromancer. It just takes FOREVER on my 12 dex pyromancer. I honestly think that'd be the best test. Equip all the firestorm spells, and time them. I believe all of them have the same exact casting time. I may test it myself as my character has 2 tempests, 2 storms, and a chaos. Though, I only have 5 slots :| I think a pair of tempests and storms should be long enough.... right? *shrug*
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Pretty sure I have 3 of those + Chaos on two of my characters. I won't be playing again until at least friday, though.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:52 am

Same. Saturday, actually. D:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm