Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+32
NPCWhiteMage
Seignar
User1
WaLKA
Mr. Tart
BeeSeaEss
Dragon Slayer Ornstein
Spurgun
ThatPerson
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Frosty1heSnowman
Rin
joeclone
ViralEnsign_
Quarik
swordiris
About8547Souls
DxV04
leolion177
Ghadis_God
GkMrBane
User
bunnywink
Reaperfan
Juutas
Tolvo
Noob-of-Artorias
Serious_Much
roanispe
Forum Pirate
cloudyeki
FruitPunchNinja
36 posters

Favorite anime!

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Favorite anime! - Page 2 Empty Re: Favorite anime!

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:20 am

I didn't say it wasn't valid, I said I don't like it. Its boring. It always feels like they're trying too hard to get me to relate to characters I can't even begin to understand.

Characters really make or break anime for me, if I don't like or understand (either or works) the main characters, I get bored really quickly. Its why I don't like code geass or Naruto or gurrenn laggan.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:22 am

Yeah characters, and especially their development are really huge to me as well. I'm a writer that mostly focuses in character building, so I'm especially critical when it comes to what I see others creating. I can understand sometimes you need a character as just a plot device, I get that. But you don't have to make it blatantly obvious, at least make it seem like they belong in the world. And don't get me started on special snowflakes.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:23 am

I can understand Naruto and Code Geass (Pizza hut supports the rebellion) but Gurren Lagann?.... okay I can kinda see that too. But Gurren Lagann is about how ridiculous Gainax could be. Again. For the 4th time.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:25 am

I'm not really a fan of Black Lagoon. silly But I do understand satire, as well as accomplishing what you set out to do. If you want to make a fun adventure, do that. If you want to make a fun adventure, but to try and bring in the intellectuals you make very pretentious characters who just can't be "Understood," then I'll stop watching. I'm not saying that's like that, I'm just ranting and on a tangent! But I actually do respect that show for something it did.

Killing off one of the main characters, the older brother. That was extremely ballsy to do, since he was one of the more interesting ones.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:34 am

I'm not fond of any of the characters, nor can I understand how they think. I can follow say Spike and Jets logic as they try to make ends meet, I understand Rentons infatuatio, Ed and Als determination to right a past wrong, Motoko's sense of duty. I don't follow Gurren Lagann. I don't like FLCL either.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:35 am

FLCL's purpose is sort of to be very nonsensical, it's more so a joy ride of lunacy just for the hell of it than something to be looked too deeply into.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:37 am

FLCL you have to take with a pinch of salt. But after watching it 2 dozen times I can safely pin EACH characters' goals and motivations.

But that's true for most Gainax series, they make you question their series constantly. And I love it.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:51 am

They're silly, even when they're serious. Its just not for me. About as silly as I get is dragon ball and fairy tail. (yes I watch fairy tail, yes I'm a terrible person, yes its predictable and repetitive, go away)
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:54 am

It's supposed to be silly, as long as it is supposed to be I'm fine with it. Though sometimes watching things that are unintentionally bad are very amusing. Anything with Nicholas Cage that isn't Lord of War, The Room, homocide, and Skyrim's physics bugs.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:56 am

Pokemon. (Misty Era) is like that. Its so terrible that I love it, terrible puns and all.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:57 am

The real trick becomes...Are they intentionally bad, but designed to make them appear like they were trying to be good? Sometimes you have to question if things can be that stupid by chance, or if they really know how to draw in all crowds.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:08 am

I'm ok either way. Its like the fresh prince. I know its bad. Its still awesome.

Mewcius the destroyer of all (pikachu) really shouldn't be the franchises icon though, so many pokemon are so much cooler.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:04 am

It has been years and years since I last watched any anime but when I did these were my favs:

Full Metal Alchemist (had a fresh idea and genuinely touching moments.)
    Death Note (unique idea and the mind games.)
    Hellsing (okay at the latest episodes turned to be a stinking pile of horse poo, but the soundtrack was beyond awesome and Alucard is still the coolest vampire bad *** ever.)
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:50 am

Favorite of all time is the first FMA (not Brotherhood). Without that I would not have gotten into anime, and it will always have a great amount of influence on me. But I also have to give honorable mention to The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's not the easiest thing to get into due to the non-chronological episode ordering they went with, but its the best thing I've watched since I've been into anime.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:29 am

Forum Pirate wrote:Pokemon. (Misty Era) is like that. Its so terrible that I love it, terrible puns and all.

It's awesome, slow pacing, ******** endings to fights and all. It's just amazing silly
    bunnywink
    bunnywink
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning!

Post by bunnywink Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Favourite anime:

あの日見た花の名前を僕達はまだ知らない (We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day, AKA. Ano Hana)
    "A group of six childhood friends drift apart after one of them, Meiko "Menma" Honma, dies in an accident. Ten years after the incident, the leader of the group, Jinta Yadomi, has withdrawn from society and lives as a recluse. One summer day, the ghost of an older looking Menma appears before him and asks to have a wish granted, reasoning that she cannot pass on into the afterlife until it is fulfilled. Since Menma does not remember what her wish is, Jinta gathers his estranged friends together once again, believing that they are the key to resolving this problem. However, hidden feelings, internal conflicts, and lingering feelings of bitterness from Menma's parents result in complications for the group as they struggle to help not only Menma move on, but themselves as well."
    This anime is so beautiful - both the animation and the story. I highly recommend this to everybody. WARNING: Plenty of manly tears shall be shed.

輪るピングドラム (Mawaru Penguindrum)
    "A terminally ill girl named Himari Takakura is miraculously saved from death by a strange spirit who resides in a penguin-shaped hat. However, in exchange for extending her life, the spirit tasks Himari's brothers, Kanba and Shouma, to seek out an item known as the Penguin Drum with assistance from a trio of strange penguins."
    This starts off hilariously, but turns out to be a very dramatic series with a deep (and confusing) plot.

And of course, Sailor Moon. It was the first anime I had watched and I still love it to this day.

FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Ano hana is pretty good, i didnt fall for the characters like other people did. Thats a good example of something i expected to be a bunch of moe' garbage, that actually ended up being pretty good. I have to agree with cloud and some of the others that fan service is going way to far these days. This is coming from someone who likes his fan service. I just dont think i can watch another anime that centers around a silver haired 10yr old looking school girl...well maybe i can.

As for FLCL,since its one of my favorites, i dont think its as deep as a lot of people try to say it is but it does have a lot of symbolism. Just like Evangelion i think its underline meaning is something each viewer has to kinda decide for themselves. Open for interpretation, ya know. Although i know a lot of people will say their is only one meaning to them.

Anyone watch Kids on the Slope, last season? It seemed like it was going to be a yaoi anime at first, and im sure theres plenty of fan made manga, but its a really great slice of life anime. Not relying on moe' or any other stereotypes. It also has music from the composer from Cowboy Bebop i believe.
    bunnywink
    bunnywink
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bunnywink Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:52 pm

If you can get past the crappy animation style, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika is pretty interesting for fans of the magical girl genre.
    User
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by User Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Magical Girl Genre exists? I am sure that might be categorized under fantasy silly

FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Actually Madoka Magica is an amazing anime, i agree. Shaft in general makes great anime. Madoka Magica is very unlike any other magic girl anime though, it gets pretty dark and sinister. Its one of the few magic girl anime i actually like.

You hear they are actually revamping and making a new Sailor Moon series Bunny? not that i care....
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:00 pm

You telling me people didn't watch Kids on a Slope?:

Yeah, I liked it; makes good contrast with AKB0048. They are at once alike, and totally different. Personally, I thought both were going to be derivative, substance-less shows. I would put both as above average shows that deserve a chance, at the very least.

I'd say Madoka was a great show, but not the masterpiece people make it out to be. I also can't reallly suggest it; people who want to watch something like that will find it pretty fast, and those who wouldn't won't. It isn't really a casual show.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:27 pm

I read so much manga and I've seen so much anime that I sometimes get confused about what hasnt been made into an anime.

As far as magical girl genres im not a major fan unless the main character is a zombie/magical girl/man who is sourrounded by hot anime babes (kudos to anyone who can Identify this amazing manga/anime.

its weird ive seen so much that I cant remember them untill I see something familar and then I remember the entire series.
    bunnywink
    bunnywink
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bunnywink Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Yes, mahou shoujo is it's own sub-genre! ♥ Kinda like how mecha genre is it's own as well. There are many genres in anime and manga. In the broadest sense, there is typical shoujo (girls) and shonen (boys), but there is also josei (for mature females) and seinen (for mature males). Fantasy genre is also a broad term for a lot of different sub-genres.

Nodame Cantabile is also one of my all time faves. I even love the live-action drama.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Favorite anime! - Page 2 Seraphim-kore-wa-zombie-desu-ka-19143404-480-270

Only sick perverts watch those kinda shows. winking
    roanispe
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by roanispe Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Korean Zombie Desk Car (sic):

Am I right?

Post Script: Non-bastardised name is "Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am