Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+49
Lancelot
Sorrow95
GrinTwist
IV_Mark_VI
Shkar
RNsunbro
Nybbles
Chr0m3
Phantasmio
Knight Alundil
Aces ovr Eights
Aramat_857
DigitaLinsanitY
matthewm7
Cynic
Bloodios
ICEFANG
tofucactaur
Darkson
Jorund
bmurn
Shabbalaba
Scirvir
Doelker
Lachsfilet
Ghadis_God
RandelOolacile
befowler
Eolan
dead_boy
roomsixteen
baby_beavis
VinheimProfessor
Rynn
Bold berthold
Dark Souls PRO
Green__Eagle
ublug
Gawain
DoughGuy
WyrmHero
BoilerFan8472
swordiris
skarekrow13
Tolvo
Isirith
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
JoeBroski09
fireLESS
53 posters

Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run

VinheimProfessor
    VinheimProfessor
    Addicted
    Addicted

no bonfire - Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run - Page 3 Empty Re: Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run

Post by VinheimProfessor Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:26 pm

fireLESS wrote:Update:
    I made it to the second bell by killing Quelaag. So that means that I successfully went from the firelink, down into blightown to harvest green shards, back out with the shards but no flasks left. From there I used the shards to level my faith weapons, bought all of Petrus stuff. Need a fire to equip it, and I could use a flask. I used a humanity for health at one point. Regardless I made it all the way back down (enemies did recover) into blighttown and defeated Quelaag, then and went on down to investigate the Quelaag sisters fire.
    Engyi was down there and asked me if I was her servant. I responded honestly with a no. However, I will not be stopped by a little egg man. I want to sit at the fire and I want to kill Qualag sister to put that fire OUT.
    SO I KILLED HIM.
    As he dies he exclaims "My lady, Your in trouble".

Yes, my poor little oozing man. She is in trouble.

He normally says that, though. Best of luck with your run, so far! I'm intrigued!
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

no bonfire - Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run - Page 3 Empty Re: Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run

Post by Rynn Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:31 pm

I still say this would most likely be connected to NG 7
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Rynn wrote:I still say this would most likely be connected to NG 7

So are you implying that we need to set up NG7 by playing the first a specific way, then doing a no bonfire or something?
    Either way it's the story we need to understand in order to know what to do. The way the characters respond imply their motives. Yet we dont even understand the motives at all.
    Did you get the impression in NG7 that we could somehow extinguish the Edragon fire?

I think it may need to be an NG+ game. I'm just not sure it requires that much rework to achieve. Although it is From..
    Dark Souls PRO
    Dark Souls PRO
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dark Souls PRO Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:29 pm

NOTE: BONFIRES LIT AT ALL WILL STAY LIT IN FUTURE NG+'S.
    So if you do want to do the NG+7 thing you're not allowed to lite any bonfires ever.
    Good luck O & S NG+7 bonfire at Firelink! winking
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Down in the base of blighttown havesting slugs. My launch point is now, of course, The witch. Preparing to make the journey away from this fire. I may not be back for some time. As I harvest, I put down my summon sign, It refills my flasks and what not. I hope that when I do embark on this journey, I am not summoned by dumb-dumbs. If I win I win as a phantom in their world, I am put right back where I was with full flasks and full health etc. This is the way to go. If I lose I go back down to the witch with a ton of souls to spend. Either way, Its safer to level up in other worlds than in my own.
    To the catacombs!
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Dark Souls PRO wrote:NOTE: BONFIRES LIT AT ALL WILL STAY LIT IN FUTURE NG+'S.
    So if you do want to do the NG+7 thing you're not allowed to lite any bonfires ever.
    Good luck O & S NG+7 bonfire at Firelink! winking

Interesting. Thanks.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:58 pm

fireLESS wrote:
    Rynn wrote:I still say this would most likely be connected to NG 7

So are you implying that we need to set up NG7 by playing the first a specific way, then doing a no bonfire or something?
    Either way it's the story we need to understand in order to know what to do. The way the characters respond imply their motives. Yet we dont even understand the motives at all.
    Did you get the impression in NG7 that we could somehow extinguish the Edragon fire?

I think it may need to be an NG+ game. I'm just not sure it requires that much rework to achieve. Although it is From..
    I get the keen feeling that -if- there is a hidden ending to locate at all, it would be connected to the highest difficulty.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:08 pm

"How do these martyrs keep chugging along? I'd peter out in an instant.
    Hah hah hah hah…"
    -Crestfallen warrior

I agree. Let us take this land and bring the dawn of man!
    baby_beavis
    baby_beavis
    Regular
    Regular

Post by baby_beavis Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Oh noooo dude...

I'm rooting for ya, and also started a no bonfire run on one character, but i'm not focused on that much at this point, with still some big question marks around.

As people said, you still spawn at firelink and replenish once it is extinguished, but keep in mind that you can no longer level up, access bottomless box OR attune magic. so plan ahead. I am hoping you didn't mean you were anxiuos to kill daughter of chaos fire keeper at first sight, as it sounds like. You can finish all the bosses in that area first and avoid long walks from firelink, then extinguish, or even later in game so you have 2 bonfires to attune magic etc. (Choas and anor londo).

The only issue remains ash lake as people already know, but who knows what the future holds. Watch the prologue right after "...and evelasting dragons" going down that tree or whatever it is.

As Tolvo said somewhere, "So the dragons were good? Living in peace with man?".

What if Everlast doesn't need to be killed? Maybe he would accept some ritual or offering? Who knows.

As Acidic_cook noted on his Search for lore thread, (at very start), it seems like a habit that npc's go hollow searching for their thing, like Big hat in the archives, Laurentus in the swamp, and to some extent Solaire. So was ash lake a random adventure for Sir onion or was he after something there? He seemed ahead of us the majority or times, excluding blighttown timeline or sequence.

This is nothing to worry much about if you just focus on gameplay to keep your character progressing with no bonfires lit. There is just one thing I can imagine to add to the mix I'm kinda hesitant to drop on you out of the blue. happy
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:38 pm

I agree that there may be a way to allow him to accept an offering. They must be tired from being so everlasting. Everyone cutting his tail off all the time. He'd be down for an agreement.

I let the Larentious dude die. Currently my bonfire is in Qualaags domain. I have a baadass faith build. I ran up to head out, but was too tempted to talk to Laurentious. I gave him a clue about where to find the pyromancy and sent him on towards his demise. I killed every freakin guy on the way out didnt light a fire. So I was thinking maybe he could be babied through if everything was dead. So after talking to him, I ran back down to see if I could beat him. Maybe save him. Foolish I know, but I couldnt help myself. Anyway he was hollow.

I hope I didnt make a mistake here. What if the key is extinguish bonfires AND saving all the "humans" from going hollow? I think that may be a bit of a stretch. I will consider these lines off thought in NG+ or in future runs. Mainly because killing them is a way to gain humanity and letting them hollow provides you with things. I deem it okay for my run. For now I seek reassurance that extinguish flame is the primary concept. If I find any evidence, everyone will be doing nofireruns!

To anyone who has made a run like this:
    Did you also experience a noticible difference in game play? This game is def. agreeable to the idea that I should be taking these routes and approaching in the way that I do. Which is simply a different approach because you are coming a different way. It just rings true.

baby_beavis
    baby_beavis
    Regular
    Regular

Post by baby_beavis Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:22 pm

I dont think you need to worry about hollow NPCs much, because I think there is a different issue to concern anyone on a no bonnies run, besides ash lake that is, and if you consider "the harder the better" a demon's / dark souls trend. See if you get the same hunch as me with these hints .

Oswald - Nice to see you preserving your humanity

Quelana - Don't you 'crack' and go hollow ....

Lautrec - Your humanity is slipping

So you leave Asylum and some giant crow drops you off at firelink, to your 2 o'clock, on a well you pick something up, use it, rest at bonfire and do something.

You go on about your adventure on your normal route, past the well, up some steps, and thereabouts you find your very first ring of the game; out of all rings in the game, this kind of ring is your very first ring in the game; of this kind of ring there is a set number of supply in the game. Is it to help preserve your newcomer arse till your first bonnie a few mobs away, with your limited humanity, or do you look further along into your journey to fullfill your destiny?

You have a dream that you are at the arcades, and realise you only have a dollar in your pocket as you pop your first quarter in the machine, and you think to yourself "I gotta finish this!"

Lol. takers anyone?

So people hoped for a sequel to Demon's, and From bowed. Said will make harder, and players said 'meh'.

Lol. wtf is going on?
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:53 pm

CRUCIAL TIP for other no bonfire runners:
    Wear the ring that absorbs HP from fallen enemies. I realized as I ran through these huge areas with hollows lounging out, praying and such. Just fill your health with these guys. You can use easy guys to get you the main thrust, then coop to finish the deal.

I dont think we can predict the intentions behind From's purpose of scaling the difficulties. We should be able to, at the very least, come up with a cohesive plot that ties the unknowns together. That ring at the beginning makes perfect sense for me. I got invaded just now. Slipped the ring on just in case I got sent back down to the witch. Its helpful. The game is very giving. I dont consider it that difficult as long as you follow its rules. Walk enemies off cliffs. Trick them into being alone and expose their back, such that you can impale them with your blade. Its a computer at the end of the day. From knows this. That is why they incorporated the opposing forces of Coop.

I made it into catacombs, straight to the second fire. I got invaded and made it through the battle, but had used up my health. Threw the summon sign down so I could die in someone elses world. It works out okay I guess, free trip back to the Qualaag with my humanity and souls preserved.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:31 pm

No bonfire continues.
    I got the rite of kindling. No big deal. First run from the witch was a tad iffy. Second run I have the rite of kindling with nearly all my flasks and miracles. I quit out the game for a moment.

Anyone got any ideas which way I should head from here? The second bell has not been rung, my firelink firekeeper is dead.

I will have to continue later, my girlfriend is starting to get upset.
    roomsixteen
    roomsixteen

Post by roomsixteen Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:49 am

Rynn wrote:Now to be a lot less cryptic.
    Try New Game +++++++... I have seen some... weird... things appear to happen on this difficulty. Like Lautrec appearing to have different dialog. If you are going to do a no-bonfire run, I think you have to do all 7 New Games before you'll see anything.

What is the different dialogue? I've looked through the text dump for Lautrec and didn't see anything unusual. What else did you notice that was different? Glyphblade's thread is so long, and I've made it to page 10 or so. haha.

Also, if no bonfires are lit, and Firelink is gone, if you die, how will you revive to human to summon help? Good luck with this fireLESS, I couldn't do it!
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:28 am

It was just very minor. He said his thankyou for freeing me dialog like normal, but it was punctuated with the word again, and he didn't show up in Firelink for a while.

EDIT: Let's see... I had no drake on the bridge in undead burg
    No NPC summon signs ever showed up
    and Velka wasn't in the belltower until I had gone all the way through sens fortress.

Weird stuff... I always thought of them as just bugs.
    dead_boy

no bonfire - Extinguish the bonfires. No bonfire run - Page 3 Empty just a question

Post by dead_boy Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:47 am

New here but I lurk.
    And by that I mean I have been reading these forums for a few weeks now.

Has anyone done a no death run to see if anything hapens?

No death no bonfires I mean.

Last edited by dead_boy on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:59 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added stuff)
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:55 am

Oswald in the tower. If Velka was in the tower it would answer too many questions haha.
    Eolan
    Eolan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Eolan Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:54 am

FireLESS this is a very interesting promising idea. I had a feerling we were in a sort of purgatory for a long time...

I have to say that the Ng+ element, of a bonfire unkindling itself pricks my ears up. If you keep finishing the game unlighting bonfires, for each ng+, one of the key bonfires will fade out maybe eventually the dragons one?

CAN SOMEONE CONFIRM IF THE NG+'s DISSOLVE A BONFIRE? And HOW MANY BONFIRES ARE THERE? (not including unlit ones) if theres seven your onto something matey.

And for claritys sake everyone, he is resting at bonfires, just never lighting them when they are unlit.
    baby_beavis
    baby_beavis
    Regular
    Regular

Post by baby_beavis Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:01 am

I can't be sure, since it was so long ago, but I was under the impression that I only lost kindles while in WoW covenant. I had that impression because I was rarely ever in that covenant, and the 2 times I was, i happened. But i cant rule out coincidence since i hadn't tested anything.
    Eolan
    Eolan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Eolan Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:10 am

Oh and im sl 96 on my current build ready to help on 360 if you need me fireless.
    baby_beavis
    baby_beavis
    Regular
    Regular

Post by baby_beavis Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:37 am

Btw Fireless,

how are you dealing with covenants?

I thought No covenants, cuz we bow to no god or lord, but if nothing happens, i'll try full Dragon covenant run because of the ash lake thing, and because dragons are cool. First ng, as needed though.

You?
    VinheimProfessor
    VinheimProfessor
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by VinheimProfessor Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:42 am

I'm curious about one aspect of dragons and their supposed eternal life. We find out that dragon's immortality is due not only to their scales, but also due to Eternal Crystal he stole from the dragons.

Has anyone tried shattering the crystal to kill Seath and then go back to the Everlasting Dragon to see if it's immortality has been destroyed?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:43 am

The stone dragons immortality is purely scaled based. Seath is the only dragon who needs the crystal.
    fireLESS
    fireLESS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by fireLESS Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:02 am

baby_beavis wrote:Btw Fireless,

I thought No covenants, cuz we bow to no god or lord, but if nothing happens, i'll try full Dragon covenant run because of the ash lake thing, and because dragons are cool. First ng, as needed though.

You?

I went with the SUNBROS. Simply because the pendant has the same description as the medal. I also figured I would need help.

I do not think the covenant that a no bonnie runner joins is important, but I do think that being sinful could end up being a problem.

I am scared about covenants though. There are 9 covenants. 9 players to choose. The 10th being without a covenant. So there could be an element to that, although I hope not. There is a bunch of problems if we open the idea up to those theories.

I stand by the idea that From would want it to be POSSIBLE. Also, by the time I made it to Qualaag, I had so much humanity that I almost considered abandoning the Sunbros and opening up some shortcuts. Which makes sense for a no bonfire run. I havent gone chaos before, and I decided against it for several reasons.

Dark Souls PRO
    Dark Souls PRO
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dark Souls PRO Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:24 am

fireLESS wrote:
    baby_beavis wrote:Btw Fireless,

You?

I went with the SUNBROS. Simply because the pendant has the same description as the medal. I also figured I would need help.

I do not think the covenant that a no bonnie runner joins is important, but I do think that being sinful could end up being a problem.

I am scared about covenants though. There are 9 covenants. 9 players to choose. The 10th being without a covenant. So there could be an element to that, although I hope not. There is a bunch of problems if we open the idea up to those theories.

I stand by the idea that From would want it to be POSSIBLE. Also, by the time I made it to Qualaag, I had so much humanity that I almost considered abandoning the Sunbros and opening up some shortcuts. Which makes sense for a no bonfire run. I havent gone chaos before, and I decided against it for several reasons.

Only the dropped pendants have the same description as the medal, the gift one has the correct description.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 pm