Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
zzombieboy
DarkW17
Forum Pirate
Rifter7
WarriorOfBenOwnage
Carphil
Oniramkenobi
Ghadis_God
Gazman0169
Federally
cloudyeki
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
DoughGuy
lordgodofhell
19 posters

What Do We Have Left?

lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

What Do We Have Left? Empty What Do We Have Left?

Post by lordgodofhell Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:20 am

ahem,

The following appear to be frowned upon or at least cause mass rage even though they are in game concepts.

- wrath of the gods
    - tranquil walk
    - backstab "fishing"
    - parry "fishing"
    - turtling
    - healing as host
    - spamming Great Combustion
    - Going full Havels or using pinwheels masks
    - stunlocking to death
    - buffing
    - ganking
    - grieifing (wheres the cut off level for this? lol)
    - killing of any kind

So, with all of these causing problems within the community for some, I guess my question would be, what CAN we do? I have heard more than one upset about each of these categories so... how should it go?

I am not being sarcastic, except maybe the last on the list. How are we to fight if we cant use the tools given us? I have also heard complaints on things like fleeing into mobs or plain fleeing.

DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

What Do We Have Left? Empty Re: What Do We Have Left?

Post by DoughGuy Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:23 am

No ganking unless your a quester, no griefing, ever. Buffing and stunlocking are fine, provided you are fighting solo for the second. WoG and Twop both are fine when used correctly, and there are available counters when they are abused. BS fishing is counterable. Turtling and healing both have the same counter, BSing. GC no comment. Flipping Hvaels in a mask is annoying but generally shows a lower level of play and can be countered.
    Its all about counters to these things, learn them and its easy.
    Do I sound like Forum at all?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:24 am

Wear a Channeler's Helm, go naked with the rest, use a Plank Shield, and attack with your bare fist. That's not OP in my book.

Also, we probably shouldn't rehash this issue again. It's the kindling and all it needs is a spark. I'd urge people to act with caution and to keep a level head here.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:26 am

The cut off to griefing is about 40 I think, because at that point you should be entering Sen's/Anor Londo and have a grip on what you're doing.

Tt always seems the melee-types are never at fault unless they're bs/parry hounds.
    Federally
    Federally
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Federally Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:20 am

I don't get mad at any of those things. I'm not a fan of BS fishing but that's just because it makes for a boring short fight, but most importantly not liking something doesn't mean i get mad when it happens. The things I don't like are just the things I don't do to others because I wouldn't want it done to me.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:25 am

To be totally honest with you, I really couldn't care less if a PvP opponent used any of the above against me in a fight, but I draw the line at the rapidly increasing number of Dragon Headstone Glitchers who are really starting to P-me-off, as they could quite easily lead us to a situation whereby their cheating ways start to make the lower level PvP experience non-playable.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:35 am

Very few of those things are cheap 1v1, save maybe healing with Divine Blessings and Hornet Ring bs fishing. (ganking aside, of course) Some of them are a bit OP, like flipping in full Havels, but GS stunlocking can be countered by using a spear, for example. Greatswords have very little that can make them viable against a good spear user, and they generally beat great combustion, a lot of bs fishers, parry fishers, etc. (You can tell i love spears)

Lots of us complain about those things because the people who do them get great reward from little practice and skill while it usually takes a skillful player to counter these tactics.
    Oniramkenobi
    Oniramkenobi
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Oniramkenobi Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Nothing is cheap .
    Everything is availiable for everyone .
    If you dont want use Backstabs,WoG or whatever then dont .
    But dont Judge someone else if they use something you call cheap.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:48 pm

^ Its sad but he is right. Coming from a person that refuses to duel with DWGR, any havel piece, WoG, shield, masks...

And whats the problem about buffing?
    Oniramkenobi
    Oniramkenobi
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Oniramkenobi Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Carphil wrote:

And whats the problem about buffing?

I dont like Buffs because they well...make you Die faster and thus make Fights shorter and less Fun
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    WarriorOfBenOwnage
    Regular
    Regular

Post by WarriorOfBenOwnage Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:09 pm

The only thing I find cheap is ganking and healing. When you invade a world, and there are two guys there ready to spam R1 and BS you, that defeats the purpose of PvP. For 1v1's, if I get you down to 10 health, and you start popping Divine Blessings, or Estusing over and over again, why are you bothering to PvP? If you're trying to get through the level, I get that, but then why did you bow, and why are you human in the forest? Beyond those two things, anything is fair game.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:16 pm

- wrath of the gods : roll out.
    - tranquil walk : parry/turtle/use pyros.
    - backstab "fishing" : theres a youtube videos to help if that's a problem.
    - parry "fishing" : great combustion
    - turtling : boring fight.
    - healing as host : should never be okay unless its to heal/heal a summon for the next fight.
    - spamming Great Combustion : counter-able in many ways.
    - Going full Havels or using pinwheels masks : those make fights last longer.
    - stunlocking to death : toggle weapon
    - buffing : wait out the buff
    - ganking : qq or use aoe spells/spam your own spells.
    - grieifing (wheres the cut off level for this? lol) : ganker needs to make some friends.
    - killing of any kind : acceptable.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:57 pm

I see your point OP, and thats why I ignore the whiners. They're in every game.

In general, I agree with dough, Oniramkenobi, and rifter, but I'll stipulate that using glitches (dragon head mostly) in pvp is the only thing I really have a problem with.
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:42 pm

just putting it out there tho, if someone does wrong you, and i'm not talking about attacking a bower cuz he has a mom mask on, than you should immediately drop any rules you were following and go with that.

i personally set them as avoided if they use twop and spam wotg or use dragonhead/kunais or gank with 1-2 others so i can tell if they've done so in the past. they'll show up as an unhappy face on my recent players list and they're going to get jumped with chaos storm and spammed with combustion lol.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:45 pm

I love WOG especially = insta roll bs!

TWOP is also fine I think the only annoying use is TWOP then WOG spam but if thats how you roll then so be it...doesnt make me mad ill just die and move on!!

I am not saying I think healing during a duel/ganking/griefing ect is cool but if anyone is complaining about anything on your list then random PVP isnt for them they should only fight friends with set rules...hence FC!!

Because you are going to run into griefers/gankers/healers no point crying about it. In my last play through I had a +2 reinforced club and base armor and a giants/estoc griefer invaded...i got him with a quad chain BS missed the 5th and lost for a poke or maybe 2...I had fun lol!!
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:15 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:

Lots of us complain about those things because the people who do them get great reward from little practice and skill while it usually takes a skillful player to counter these tactics.

This man speaks the truth.

The only thing I find annoying is vitality gouge builds who use an elemental claymore with giants/havels, DWGR and MoM. For some reason this build just really gets to me lol. It's just so....boring! Out of all the build you could do, you make that? Really!? Grrr...
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:22 pm

vit builds can be fun if you skimp on the armor in exchange for an interesting weapon like this: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3522800732333894

plus with sky high vitality you can even take of the MoM and put on whatever you think looks cool even if it sucks defensively.
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:51 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:vit builds can be fun if you skimp on the armor in exchange for an interesting weapon like this: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3522800732333894

plus with sky high vitality you can even take of the MoM and put on whatever you think looks cool even if it sucks defensively.

Heh, that does look fun! I don't have a problem with vit gouges, I just have a problem with vit gouges that also use every other PvP crutch in the game. The toon im currently playing is a dual weilding Pyro with a respectable 1639 vit [ http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3030698612947624 ] though I have plans to make it 1927 eventually and it's pretty fun. Granted with no weapons/armour/poise it's kind of essential, but hey silly
    Rifter7
    Rifter7
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Rifter7 Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:37 am

you may view them as crutches, others view it as gimping yourself.

please don't assume a player is bad and has to rely on a crutch when in reality they want to have a good defense or offense and better themselves at the most mechanical level in order to compete with other like-minded players.

when someone levels the playing field, most of the time it starts with what they do. they're going to fortify their assets, increase their firepower or outsmart them strategically.

what they're NOT going to do is intentionally weaken themselves and make up an excuse as to why they lost due to intentional sabotage or boast about how good they are for taking illogical risks and calculations and winning against an opponent they'd beat on fair ground anyways.

it's just silly. they're not crutches. spamming kunai's out of your mouth at someone or hiding in a group of three vs a temporarily defenseless player is a crutch, stepping your game up to take that and anything else on isn't.
    Hahalo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Hahalo Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:10 am

I agree with OP. Thus I never agree with Tournament rules, I think it cheapen the experience by a miles.

I recall back in Demon Souls, freaking Scraping Spear was banned. And I'm thinking "If anyone dare to pull out a scraping spear on me, I'll freaking pawn them. It's just strategically unsound." However that was approved because the community felt that cheating. Same goes with Acid Cloud, and I was thinking "Doesn't everyone have a 5 consumable slot that you can have Ed Stone?. WTF.

For Dark Souls, No fishing backstab was one that got me thinking. So now, if some starter that doesn't know how to pvp, have no idea to cover his ***, and keep being lure into predictable position.. why Can't I punish him for being a poor player? WTF... but nooooooooo the community condemn it, because back then 90% of the crowd doesn't know how to cover their ***.

Last edited by Hahalo on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:12 am

Hahalo wrote:I agree with OP. Thus I never agree with Tournament rules, I think it cheapen the experience by a miles.

For Dark Souls, No fishing backstab was one that got me thinking. So now, if some starter that doesn't know how to pvp, have no idea to cover his ***, and keep being lure into predictable position.. why Can't I punish him for being a poor player? WTF... but nooooooooo the community condemn it, because back then 90% of the crowd doesn't know how to cover their ***.
    You seem to be making an assumption here. A lot of people are fine with BSing, we don't "condemn it". You know what we arent fine with? Only BSing. Not attempting to fight just constantly going for BS after BS, or abusing lag to get one.
    Hahalo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Hahalo Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:17 am

Sorry mate, might be the wrong word to use now. I'll take back my word for that part. Most likely the community have grown mature to it.

There were too many debate back in Nov - Dec in the official forums about Backstab in Tournament, that I have such lasting appeal on me. silly

Plus I'm 100% agree that Lag Stab is not acceptable. The first Demon Souls Tournament Winner was the best example. However I think it was still fair since the first tournament, we didn't have any rules on lag stab.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:50 am

Guys, I've been playing for a long time, I've only seen 2 back stabs that I was dubious of in that whole time. (I did 1 of them) The "lag stab" isn't people abusing latency, its just latency making the attack look sketchy, when it looks perfectly fine on their screen.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:54 am

Forum Pirate wrote:Guys, I've been playing for a long time, I've only seen 2 back stabs that I was dubious of in that whole time. (I did 1 of them) The "lag stab" isn't people abusing latency, its just latency making the attack look sketchy, when it looks perfectly fine on their screen.
    yep, sorry to be harsh here but thats ********. It doesnt look perfectly fine. I;ve lagstabbed people twice and both times I teleported into position to BS them. Sorry but you're wrong here.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:11 am

As I said, I've done it once as well, but I don't believe it to be deliberately exploitable. Even while fishing hard or playing against players who are fishing, every backstab I see save the 2 I mentioned make sense from 1 perspective or the other.

Most of the time I see "lag stab" called, its a situation like this: the person was rolling away, then pulled back into a bs.

Thats just latency screwing with the perception, not something done deliberately that can be banned.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:08 pm