Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+31
berkut
roomsixteen
AquaZeroX26
dancash1808
NPCWhiteMage
WyrmHero
Bamjam
nsane32
reim0027
BartholomewWenceslas
Noob-of-Artorias
sinisterapathy
Xacktastic
deadagain
bloodpixel
TehInfamousAmos
SlakeMoth
skarekrow13
Serious_Much
Doelker
Forum Pirate
Digitalyzed
Extertionist
Tolvo
ROOSTER330
DoughGuy
Reaperfan
User
Blazalin
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
JoeBroski09
35 posters

What do YOU do for a living?

Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

What do YOU do for a living?  - Page 5 Empty Re: What do YOU do for a living?

Post by Yukon Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:41 am

Haha, its no problem I was worried about how to describe agriculture when you asked because I didn't want to come off as talking down and I wasn't sure how much of it you wanted explained. No offence taken on my part I just wanted to make sure none was taken on yours.

A landscaper should certainly be able to identify a good amount of common urban insects. I don't know how much it helps but it has to make the job more enjoyable somewhat. Mind you, I'm the sort of person who trips trying to come to a complete stop when I see a firefly on a shrub maybe I'm biased to its importance to landscaping.
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:59 am

Yukon wrote:
    berkut wrote: I am currently working for a lab as a field assistant to collect data on the abundance and species richness (diversity of species) for two broad insect groups. The hours are long, and I am in constant pain due to the study site environments, but its a start happy.

Holy carp, Berkut we are doing the same thing. Only difference is my minor is in entomology so the insects are completely by choice. But I love the work, though it can be tiring. Which groups specifically?

I'm currently doing work on aphids and pollinators in alfalfa, but also including predators and parasites of the aphids... anyway, long story short I am basically doing a food chain in several common crops of western canada. It translates to a decent amount of fieldwork, but a back breaking amount of lab work too.

Also, congrats on finishing your bachelors happy

The two groups that I am dealing with are butterflies and syrphids. I don't ID the syrphids, I just catch them for lab identication silly, I am hardly a skilled entomologist silly.

If your curious, the butterflies that we have seen during training and field work are:
    -Eastern Tailed Blue
    -Spring Azure
    -Monarch
    -Viceroy
    -European Skipper
    -Long Dash Skipper
    -Peck's Skipper
    -Pearl Crescent
    -Northern Crescent
    -Eyed Brown
    -Common Wood Nymph
    -Mourning Cloak
    -Question Mark
    -Great-spangled Fritillary
    -Meadow Fritillary
    -Mustard White
    -Cabbage White
    -Clouded Sulphur
    -Orange Sulphur
    -Pink-edged Sulphur
    -Black Swallowtail

I can't think of any others really at the moment silly
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:42 am

When you said 2 large groups my mind when almost immediately to flies, then I was hoping beetles. We have seen a few of those butterflies here in Winnipeg too, but I just moved to Manitoba this winter so I still am getting surprised by what I see.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:26 am

Dark Souls entomologist.

"Dude, did you fight that boss.. I forgot the name. It looks a lot like Spring Azure."
    "Uhh. What?"

PS: Idk what a Spring Azure is. All I see are Monarchs around here, and a few others that I don't really know the names of.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:09 am

What do YOU do for a living?  - Page 5 1378
    You rang?

Dark souls entomologist:
    "Dude, can you believe the translators called it the Moonlight Butterfly? its clearly a moth just look at how it holds its wings open and horizontally and not closed vertically when at rest. Not to mention its nocturnal activity!"
    "Jeez man, shut up already and just enjoy the game."
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:54 am

Ahh the Luna Moth, that guy is awesome XD.

@Joe, try googling some of those butterflies, its amazing how pretty many of them are happy.
    Dark Souls PRO
    Dark Souls PRO
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dark Souls PRO Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:04 am

Future occupations: Either an officer in the Army or a foreign languages teacher over seas.
    I have a reserved spot in the Military College Duntroon and plan on raising my ATAR to be able to attend the Australian Defence Force Academy.
    But when I go on my holiday around the world (some parts) and incase I like any of those countries I will become a foreign languages teacher over there instead.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:04 am

Something for the bug nerds on here. Did you know that lobsters are more closely related to insects than the vast majority of other marine life?

Also, did you know that scorpions were among the first organisms to make the transition from the sea to land?
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:18 am

Pendant: Crustaceans are closely related to arthropods, yes.

And the scorpion to land thing is a theory. silly
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Well for a living im a stratigic computer analyst.

What do YOU do for a living?  - Page 5 639795459 and on my side gig im a hitman (with love) What do YOU do for a living?  - Page 5 639795459
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 pm

:shock: seriously?
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:29 am

JoeBroski09 wrote::shock: seriously?

We all have to get by somehow.

Side note: good money.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:49 am

Haha! Well, more power to yah. Rather, more money to ya!

I just turned 18, and I don't look half bad. Maybe I could get down with teh male stippin'.

I'm just kidding. I don't have the mental strength to do that... I'm impressed by you, good sir.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:39 pm