Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+31
berkut
roomsixteen
AquaZeroX26
dancash1808
NPCWhiteMage
WyrmHero
Bamjam
nsane32
reim0027
BartholomewWenceslas
Noob-of-Artorias
sinisterapathy
Xacktastic
deadagain
bloodpixel
TehInfamousAmos
SlakeMoth
skarekrow13
Serious_Much
Doelker
Forum Pirate
Digitalyzed
Extertionist
Tolvo
ROOSTER330
DoughGuy
Reaperfan
User
Blazalin
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
JoeBroski09
35 posters

What do YOU do for a living?

NPCWhiteMage
    NPCWhiteMage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

What do YOU do for a living?  - Page 4 Empty Re: What do YOU do for a living?

Post by NPCWhiteMage Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm a telemarketer. Yes, yes, I am satan's secretary.

But all joking, hating, and etc aside. It is actually a great job. Easy, benefits, paid vacation time. My boss is awesome.

My goal however, is game engineering, which I start my schooling for this fall.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 pm

I dont work for a living, wish I did currently. (not that I want to quit college I'm just fed up of having to be tight with cash!)
    AquaZeroX26
    AquaZeroX26
    Casual
    Casual

Post by AquaZeroX26 Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:22 am

I'm currently a night shift security guard and I have a second Xbox always at work so at night while everyone's asleep i can play... Also if u think this is great... I get only 8:50 an hour and rent is 900a month... Good thing gf has a job, those unemployed, good luck guys i know how it feels...
    roomsixteen
    roomsixteen

Post by roomsixteen Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Wow, I'm impressed by the variety of people on this page.

I've kinda talked about it in the introduce yourself page. I just finished my psychology degree, and I've just started a 15 month accelerated baccalaureate nursing degree program. So, in 13 months, I will have my BSN, and a BS in psych. Hopefully I'll be able to find a job in a psychiatric unit. But right now I'm working at a major department store in cosmetics, I've worked for the Lancome brand for 3 years. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have to leave my house at 4:15am (half hour drive + an hour time difference) to drive over to the nursing home we are doing clinicals in. It's definitely challenging because if I had it my way, I would be going to bed around 4am.
    berkut
    berkut
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by berkut Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:21 pm

It's great to see such diversity here happy. Even more special is how well it all meshes together big grin.

I used to be a student but that finished recently >.<, I have now entered that scary world that is the after school phase. I am currently thinking (albeit very casually) about what I would like to do for a Master's. Until then I am trying to find work related to my studies that focuesses on my field of interest, which can generally summed as environmental science and ecology. I am currently working for a lab as a field assistant to collect data on the abundance and species richness (diversity of species) for two broad insect groups. The hours are long, and I am in constant pain due to the study site environments, but its a start happy.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:26 pm

I understand ya on the constant pain bit. My ankle won't let up...
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:10 pm

berkut, have you asked yourself whether doing a masters would actually be beneficial or whether you'd wanting to do it just to stay in education longer?

Just saying cus I've known a few people who've just gotten themselves into more debt doing a post grad for no real reason other than they wanna remain a uni student.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:16 pm

berkut wrote: I am currently working for a lab as a field assistant to collect data on the abundance and species richness (diversity of species) for two broad insect groups. The hours are long, and I am in constant pain due to the study site environments, but its a start happy.

Holy carp, Berkut we are doing the same thing. Only difference is my minor is in entomology so the insects are completely by choice. But I love the work, though it can be tiring. Which groups specifically?

I'm currently doing work on aphids and pollinators in alfalfa, but also including predators and parasites of the aphids... anyway, long story short I am basically doing a food chain in several common crops of western canada. It translates to a decent amount of fieldwork, but a back breaking amount of lab work too.

Also, congrats on finishing your bachelors happy
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:30 pm

have 2 years of Pipe-fitting/ plumbing under my belt, but I'm 95% sure Im going to move on to a different career path. Either A) I join my buddy and become a fledgling game designer, B) I take a electronic music course (which can also be applied to video games) or C) take a course on forestry conservation and become a game warden or C.O.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Yukon wrote:
    berkut wrote: I am currently working for a lab as a field assistant to collect data on the abundance and species richness (diversity of species) for two broad insect groups. The hours are long, and I am in constant pain due to the study site environments, but its a start happy.

Holy carp, Berkut we are doing the same thing. Only difference is my minor is in entomology so the insects are completely by choice. But I love the work, though it can be tiring. Which groups specifically?

I'm currently doing work on aphids and pollinators in alfalfa, but also including predators and parasites of the aphids... anyway, long story short I am basically doing a food chain in several common crops of western canada. It translates to a decent amount of fieldwork, but a back breaking amount of lab work too.

oh you have no idea how much i want to be a part of this conversation. One of my passions is nature.especially insects XD ive done many high school projects on entomology. So much fun big grin i doubt theres any jobs for that in Washington state haha!
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:41 pm

JoeBroski09 wrote:
    Yukon wrote:

oh you have no idea how much i want to be a part of this conversation. One of my passions is nature.especially insects XD ive done many high school projects on entomology. So much fun big grin i doubt theres any jobs for that in Washington state haha!

Dude, the pine beetle is a huge epidemic in the northwest, Im sure you'll find work.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Alaska, really. sad or has it hit washington state?
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:47 pm

Are you being sarcastic Joe? There is a department in your state, and an entomological society just for entomology. I am currently in the only actually department of entomology in all of Canada. The US is a great place to be an entomologist, you should check it out. If you really are considering it as a career you should look into those things at least, I've had some really great experiences with the society and the university folks here. Its a small department so everyone is really tightly knit. I've learned a lot just working this summer, and even more over the past few years in my courses.

I glad to see the bug geeks fall out of he wood work here.

EDIT: actually funny thing, the guy spearheading our research just moved here from Washington, he is continuing his studies on aphid ecology here.

Last edited by Yukon on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:49 pm

The world has so few problems that now the American media are calling a BUG problem an epidemic?
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:50 pm

well. Its Hit B.C. for sure... depending how well it can be contained its only a matter of time. It took away my favorite camping spot, beautiful lake covered in trees, but all the trees died off and they logged the area to prevent fires. Its been replanted since, but for the next 20 years itll still be a small pond in the middle of a dead slash. sad stuff ;_;
    KomradDakka
    KomradDakka
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by KomradDakka Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Serious_Much wrote:The world has so few problems that now the American media are calling a BUG problem an epidemic?

It IS a problem. they kill hectares of old growth forest, its an invasive species and its wreaking havoc.

And I'm a Canuck (for the record)... trees are a big deal to me. haha
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:01 am

Well, i need to see if my expertise in math will help me. Cause, im a genius at math. Not necessairily the sciences. Its extremely interesting, but idk about doing it for a JOB. Plus, is there a department in Vancouver WA? I didnt think so.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:19 am

Oh, true. But wouldn't you likely have to move to go to University anyway? If its not an interest to you as a job though that doesn't really matter. But if you are interested in dabbling I am sure you can find summer work in agriculture which is related insect ecology regardless of where you live. Or even just weekend field trips if you can find a society in your town.

Anyway enough of my prep talk. silly
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:20 am

Washington State University is in Vancouver XD
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:21 am

PPPPFFFTT, well I'm an idiot who doesn't know my US cities/districts or the location of its universities. Guess I shoulda wiki'd it further.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:24 am

I guess so. Hahaha! What do you mean agriculture?
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:29 am

Agriculture is a fancy word for farming, it could be with vegetation or livestock, there's no shortage of insects on those two things. I've done a summer counting the black flies and their affect on cows before I started working with vegetation. I know a few other people who work in wild life recovery agencies who deal with a lot of insects too, but mostly ticks (not insects but..) or lice etc. on birds and other injured animals. There isn't really a shortage of work, it just depends on how dirty you wanna get.

Anyway, there should be a agriculture research centre around you. You could contact them and ask what kind of projects they have going and if you can volunteer or do grunt work or something.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:34 am

Did you READ my op? I do landscaping! I see insects all the time! Plus, my grandparents live on a farm. I know what agriculture meant, i just didnt know if there was an agriculture thing on insects or something haha!

PS there are insects everywhere where i live. I can name most of them and i recognize all of them. a few new ones over in idaho on my grandparents' farm tho! Im being sarcastic when i say few.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:37 am

I did read the OP, sorry if I came off as pushy or something, You didn't really express a university interest so I just started rambling when you said you were interested in general. I have a bad tendency to do that when I get exited, heh.

Last edited by Yukon on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:39 am

I need to put more smilies in my sentances when i type with my phone haha! No need to apologize. All of what ive said was in a happy mood.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:44 am