Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Fusion
LordRevan
lucanious
7 posters

armor resistance and weapon damage detailed

lucanious
    lucanious
    Regular
    Regular

armor resistance and weapon damage detailed  Empty armor resistance and weapon damage detailed

Post by lucanious Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:29 am

so i basically want to understand how the resistances and damages work as well as scaling if possible. i know that a weapon with 250 physical and 250 lightning wont do as much actual damage as a weapon with like 400 physical damage but i dont exactly understand why. and i dont know how the scaling works besides what scales larger and the higher your base damage the more scaled damage. i just want to get the most out of my pvp character. i am open to any and all suggestions.
    LordRevan
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

armor resistance and weapon damage detailed  Empty Re: armor resistance and weapon damage detailed

Post by LordRevan Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:02 am

Well I'd definately like a good explanation of the resistances...
    Fusion
    Casual
    Casual

armor resistance and weapon damage detailed  Empty Re: armor resistance and weapon damage detailed

Post by Fusion Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:27 am

It does seem strange, while shields will block a percentage, armour has a misleading point value for each piece of equipment that no doubt adds to a total that suffers from diminishing returns. Elemental resistances however are generally lower on everything yet double the physical damage (base + scaling) will yield better than results than half physical half elemental.

I wonder why this is?
    LordRevan
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by LordRevan Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:56 am

I assume its because resistances take a point value like you said off the damage not a percentage.

So if a person has a 100 points resistance to all then a 500 Physical weapon will do 400 damage where a 250 Phys 250 Lightning would only do 300 (150 of each)... But I'm not sure....
    Fusion
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Fusion Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:41 am

LordRevan wrote:I assume its because resistances take a point value like you said off the damage not a percentage.

So if a person has a 100 points resistance to all then a 500 Physical weapon will do 400 damage where a 250 Phys 250 Lightning would only do 300 (150 of each)... But I'm not sure....

Interesting theory, I hadn't thought of it like this up until now. Generally armour has lighter defences against elemental weaponry, leading me to confusion when a physical weapon does more damage overall.
    lucanious
    lucanious
    Regular
    Regular

Post by lucanious Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:45 pm

i thought the same thing as the points system with resistance but i tested it with a friend and it doesnt block the full amount you would expect. or i would be invulnerable to lightning fir and magic as well as most physical damage. my black iron fully upgraded breaks 400 resistance for almost all physical and the fire elemental but i still take damage.
    LordRevan
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by LordRevan Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:23 pm

yea but theres two numbers for each one Resistance. The points from equipment and the one in brackets next to it. I think one in brackets is the actual point defence, and that they are seperate so that they can properly have diminishing returns.

Edited For horrible spelling and grammar lol... i was tired... :roll:
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:46 pm

LordRevan wrote:I assume its because resistances take a point value like you said off the damage not a percentage.

This is close to how it is, and probably the best example. But there is also another unknown equation to the defense mechanics. If not, then a weapon with less than 100 damage would not harm you at all with 100+ resistance.
    LordRevan
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by LordRevan Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:40 pm

ublug wrote:

This is close to how it is, and probably the best example. But there is also another unknown equation to the defense mechanics. If not, then a weapon with less than 100 damage would not harm you at all with 100+ resistance.

Very True. Completely forgot to mention that armor resistance and weapon damage detailed  3149687655
    forcesofodin
    forcesofodin

armor resistance and weapon damage detailed  Empty This needs some testing

Post by forcesofodin Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:44 am

LordRevan wrote:yea but theres two numbers for each one Resistance. The points from equipment and the one in brackets next to it. I think one in brackets is the actual point defense, and that they are separate so that they can properly have diminishing returns.

I don't think this is true, the parenthesis number is the value of that stat without any armor on. Go naked and your defense stats are the same as those in the parenthesis.

As for the hidden equation, I am very curious about this, and also to do some testing to figure out how much armor actually matters against some of the higher damage weapons. Not poise, but armor value. Is the damage difference significant to care about anything other than poise/weight ratio?

I would like someone to do redsoap stone duels with me to get some data on this. I have an SL 45, an SL 124, and an SL 214 character. Each has almost every weapon in the game, as well as every armor in the game. All the armor is upgraded to the point where you need chunks (all twinkling is fully upgraded).

If I can get any helpers , my SL 45 has several helms of avarice (4-5 spare) that I am willing to pay with. Also has all the boss souls which I don't plan on using with that character. Send me a PM. PSN screen name is forcesofodin, message me before befriending me or I will simply deny. I have to many on the list I don't know already.
    LordRevan
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by LordRevan Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 am

forcesofodin wrote:
    LordRevan wrote:yea but theres two numbers for each one Resistance. The points from equipment and the one in brackets next to it. I think one in brackets is the actual point defense, and that they are separate so that they can properly have diminishing returns.

I don't think this is true, the parenthesis number is the value of that stat without any armor on. Go naked and your defense stats are the same as those in the parenthesis.

Yea i realised that yesterday when i started a new account... :roll: forgot about this topic, i should of updated myself lol
    lucanious
    lucanious
    Regular
    Regular

Post by lucanious Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:03 am

i did some reading and did some tests with other people so i know what the resistance was and damage of the weapon. it seems as though you take half of the resistance and then a percentage value of that resistance and subtract it from the weapons damage (resist-1* damage)* resist/2

then if the weapon does 2 forms of damage do it for each resistance and damage. thats why a weapon with less total damage but more in one type will do more damage. your welcome
    venomblader
    Casual
    Casual

Post by venomblader Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:53 am

This is not true. You don't take body resistance and armor resistance into account. There's huuuge difference between them, that's why body resistance is shown in the brackets. I made a character for testing and fun, all I did on it was lvlup resistance stat to 46. That's totally all and my armor was +10 steel on chest, havel legs, some gloves probably steel not upgraded and elite knight helm +6. Guess what, capra demon in undead basement barely dmged me. I had fun with all the bosses again since I was 2 handing a claymore, and I was barely dmged by anything. That proves that body (native) resistance is alot stronger than that of the armor and resistance stat makes it stronger for the body part.
    GrEeNgObLiN
    GrEeNgObLiN
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by GrEeNgObLiN Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:09 am

So it does makes it worthly to upgrade your resistance? Sounds great for pvp
    lucanious
    lucanious
    Regular
    Regular

Post by lucanious Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:11 pm

im going to make a resistance character now....just to see

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:48 am