Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Leeroy_Jenkins
Shkar
DoughGuy
WyrmHero
Buggy Virus
9 posters

What Makes beings in Dark Souls gods

DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

What Makes beings in Dark Souls gods - Page 2 Empty Re: What Makes beings in Dark Souls gods

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 2:22 am

Gwyn tirns hollow after he leaves to relight the flame after it was extinguished. Likely Gwyn or the first firekeepr took away his deityness. He was forgotten because the gods were the ones who wrote history and they didnt like what he did.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

What Makes beings in Dark Souls gods - Page 2 Empty Re: What Makes beings in Dark Souls gods

Post by Shkar Wed May 23, 2012 2:30 am

Leeroy_Jenkins wrote:I know from experience you can lose something on purpose but the second one does kind of put a kink in my theory. but that raises the questions of who could strip it from him and why. I try to stay away from the he extinguished the first flame theory because it just doesn't sit right with me like how he could have done it if he put his sword on Gwyn's grave when he lost his deity status, isn't linking the flame what turned Gwyn undead(or killed him giving rise in the need of a grave if not for only sentimental reasons as they don't have his body) and why would the extinguisher of the flame have his name lost in history it seems like a big accomplishment/defeat (depending on which side your on)?

Technically, you can not "lose" something on purpose. I could write up a paragraph or so explaining this, but I won't unless you are interested. The general consensus is that the grave Gwyndolin guards is actually empty, and it was built because they thought the commoners would be easier to control if they thought he had just died, as opposed to him sacrificing his own eternal soul to keep life going fora while longer. Panic can cause massive surge in lethality (even if you just use mobs and not sheer adrenalin), and we know for a fact that a god can die to a "mere" human. I personally agree about him linking the flame. If the flame had ever actually gone out, wouldn't all the things it sustains (life, death, heat, light, etc) go out with it? These can be seen fading with the fire (life and death are blurred into undeath, the sun is fading, etc.) go out with it?

Him being forgotten could quite easily be something as simple as "they didn't want the nations getting any ideas." There have been times throughout history where a prince has acted against the king in huge matters like this; it often leads to full on civil war. Erasing the tails of what he did would keep people from getting any ideas about trying to overthrow the gods.

As for who could strip his power, I think everyone on this forum is constantly overlooking the importance of the various rites in the game; not in importance, but in sheer power. In almost EVERY fantasy universe, rituals are capable of doing things no being could. It's basically like how slight chemistry allows someone to set something on fire way easier then they could by hand. If we go by this logic, it could be anyone in theory.

Last edited by Shkar on Wed May 23, 2012 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 2:32 am

The age of man can exist without fire. The flame of disparity created disparity, but it going out cannot remove it. Thus life and heat continue to flourish without it. However the lord souls are directly tied to the flame, they are mini flames so they lose their power without it.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Wed May 23, 2012 2:35 am

DoughGuy wrote:The age of man can exist without fire. The flame of disparity created disparity, but it going out cannot remove it. Thus life and heat continue to flourish without it. However the lord souls are directly tied to the flame, they are mini flames so they lose their power without it.

I'm honestly not too sure. It has been said in the intro that the undead curse started showing up when the age of fire started fading,and I can't find any better way to describe undeath then a blurring of the line between life and death. Hence, the lines drawn by the flame are fading as the flame does, showing an intricate link to the flame.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 2:41 am

You could say the relighting of the flame caused the undead. When it went out man began to become dominant but when it was relit death was no longer absolute so people begin to start not dieing. They die but are revived through another flame like the first flame was.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Location : Heading through The Giant's Forrest which on the other side lies The Cave of No Return which holds The Armor of Invincibility...

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Wed May 23, 2012 2:56 am

How exactly could the lost god of war go about extinguishing the fire? If he succeeded wouldn't it end the age of gods? And if it ended the age of gods wouldn't he want to lose his status if he was to go about it?
    ps. how do you add +1 i would like to on account to how fun and educating this discussion has been thus far.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 2:58 am

You need to have posted around 30 times.
    Not if he was the dark lord, the furtive pygmy.
    I assume by throwing his power at it until it lost.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Location : Heading through The Giant's Forrest which on the other side lies The Cave of No Return which holds The Armor of Invincibility...

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Wed May 23, 2012 3:05 am

How could he be the pygmy if he is Gwyn's son?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 3:11 am

Easily. He found the dark soul. Thats all the pygmy is, the one who found the dark soul.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Wed May 23, 2012 3:14 am

I guess but it seems sketchy...the pygmy being a god.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 3:16 am

Well the god of war isnt a god anymore.
    Sentinel of Lightning

Post by Sentinel of Lightning Wed May 23, 2012 3:20 am

I have an idea of who stripped the god of war of his deity. It was probably Velka seeing as she was the goddess of justice. Just an idea though.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Wed May 23, 2012 3:21 am

Very true...could the dark soul have stripped his deity status? It seems like it would cause him to want to extinguish the fire.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 3:23 am

@Sentinel Makes sense. She's also potentially the first firekeeper so it makes a lot of sense on that front though.
    @Leeroy Makes sense too, could have done it to make sure he survived the extinguishing.
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Leeroy_Jenkins
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Leeroy_Jenkins Wed May 23, 2012 3:35 am

I think this is my first theory that makes sense in someone elses head not just my own big grin
    Sentinel of Lightning

Post by Sentinel of Lightning Wed May 23, 2012 3:40 am

Also, people say Velka is the wife of Gwyn. That's a theory though haha.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 4:17 am

Theories are all we have here in the archives.
    Sentinel of Lightning

Post by Sentinel of Lightning Wed May 23, 2012 4:41 am

Well it would seem very likely that Velka is the mother of Gwyndolin since dolin's covenant is all for dealing justice. What intrigues me more is Fina and Lautrec. Oswald's goddess is Velka and Oswald is in the same building as where Lautric is locked up at. This probably means Fina and Velka were enemies I guess. When you invade Lautrec's world, he is near Gwynovere. Does he want to assassinate Gwynovere? And one of the sealers is along with him. I guess he changed sides because he felt bad for sealing up New Londo. Just wanted to put that out there even though it is off topic.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 4:43 am

Lot of that has been discussed elsewhere. In the archives we;ve done a lot. Fina is possibly Gwynevere so Lautrec may want to eliminate the imposter.
    Sentinel of Lightning

Post by Sentinel of Lightning Wed May 23, 2012 4:56 am

Haha I've never heard that one before. I'm new here though. Its a bit confusing if you think of it.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 5:09 am

Not really. Her ring says she fled to Carim, Fina is from Carim. Goddess of sunlight isnt that far from favour and protection. Its entirely possible.
    Sentinel of Lightning

Post by Sentinel of Lightning Wed May 23, 2012 5:18 am

Not that part. Why is Lautrec going around killing firekeepers? I would think if he had the hots for Fina, he wouldn't want to get rid of the age of fire. Maybe he's just insane. This just raises more questions for me.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 5:19 am

Yeah his motives are not truly known. It could be a thing against Lordran. Lordran has defiled itself in his eyes and he will make it dark in return.
    Sentinel of Lightning

Post by Sentinel of Lightning Wed May 23, 2012 5:44 am

This might sound crazy, but he could be the first born of Gwyn.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed May 23, 2012 5:47 am

It does. And by gosh Im having a mind blank and cant think of anything to disprove it. Except for hi9s devotion to Fina. The god of war wouldnt worship another god. Also he "looks over his warriors" which Lautrec doesnt seem to do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:43 pm