Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
BLA1NE
Maneater_Mildred
ublug
Wade_Wilson
Darkson
RANT
Buggy Virus
ErrJon6661
PlasticandRage
13 posters

What is the point of the Sniper Crossbow?

PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

What is the point of the Sniper Crossbow? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the point of the Sniper Crossbow?

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:20 pm

BLA1NE wrote:Just one problem, though: can it only be used with sniper bolts?

Just tested this. You absolutely can use other kinds of bolts.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

What is the point of the Sniper Crossbow? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the point of the Sniper Crossbow?

Post by BLA1NE Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:22 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:To me this just doesn't seem like an effective tactic at all. I feel like if this is what you're going to do, than a bow is a completely superior choice
    Of course you can refute every suggestion we make, but point is your OP was asking if there were any instances in which the Sniper Crossbow could be useful, and I think there are. Like I said, crossbows have no stat scaling, so if you just meet the requirements they could be a better choice than bows for taking out large foes from a safe distance. And, again, if you happen to meet the required stats for the Sniper Crossbow, then it could be better than other crossbows depending on what range you need to be taking out said foes from.

Sure, outside these very specific set of instances, it may not be a very useful weapon. But as far as your OP is concerned I think we've pointed out that crossbows are not only reliant on lock-on, and that the Sniper Crossbow can be better than other crossbows and even bows in even more specific situations.

(As for your video example, I agree that a bow would be better in that situation. But I said large foes like stone dragons, where you would set your aim for a good 30+ bolts. For 2 bolts it isn't worth going through all that trouble setting your aim, but for 30 it suddenly becomes a lot more reasonable.)
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:24 pm

PlasticandRage wrote:You can BS with bows? Like if you have them equipped in your weapon hand? I didn't know that.
    I always have my bow in the offhand, so I don't know if you can backstab with it 1-handed, but I often backstab with it 2-handed to annoy people when I'm invading!
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:27 pm

BLA1NE wrote:
    PlasticandRage wrote:You can BS with bows? Like if you have them equipped in your weapon hand? I didn't know that.
    I always have my bow in the offhand, so I don't know if you can backstab with it 1-handed, but I often backstab with it 2-handed to annoy people when I'm invading!

I had no idea you could do either of those things. I must try it.

As per your other post. Point taken. I guess my conclusion is that I don't like it regardless. When I'm in those situations I personally feel like there's a better tool for the job. I don't have a problem with CB's by any means. In fact I really like them. I guess I'm frustrated because I feel like the SCB had the potential to be a better weapon than I think it is. Something I love about DkS is that I feel like almost every weapon has at least some kind of edge if used in the right circumstances, and I just feel like regardless of the points you guys have made there isn't enough of one here to make it worth my while. That's just my perspective.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Blain, please don't discuss the Bow glitch, it is very out of control and can cause a lot of problems. Please edit your posts, I'm not a moderator but I would like that this thread doesn't get locked down or something.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Backstabbing with bows is not a glitch. Under a certain condition it can be glitched, but I did not discuss it or even hint at it. There's no reason for moderator intervention when discussing routine bow backstabs.

@Plastic

I agree that it could have been a lot better, and to be honest I've never actually used it. Shot it a few times and put it in my box. It's very slow to shoot, and I don't think it makes up for that slowness with any particularly desirable attributes. The scenario I gave could make it useful, but like you said I'd just use a bow instead because they come in handy much more often.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:37 pm

BLA1NE wrote:Backstabbing with bows is not a glitch. Under a certain condition it can be glitched, but I did not discuss it or even hint at it. There's no reason for moderator intervention when discussing routine bow backstabs.

@Plastic

I agree that it could have been a lot better, and to be honest I've never actually used it. Shot it a few times and put it in my box. It's very slow to shoot, and I don't think it makes up for that slowness with any particularly desirable attributes. The scenario I gave could make it useful, but like you said I'd just use a bow instead because they come in handy much more often.

Exactly
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:43 pm

I don't understand how you do it. I was just trying it against a Balder Knight and I feel like I got into BS position several times, but when you try to attack you just fire an arrow instead. Am I doing something wrong?
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm not sure. In PvE, sometimes he shoots an arrow, sometimes he does the backstab, couldn't really tell you why he's doing one and not the other...
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:49 pm

I'll keep trying. You think I'd have a better chance in the offhand or the weapon hand? Or does it really matter?
    NedroidPrime
    NedroidPrime
    Regular
    Regular

Post by NedroidPrime Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:49 pm

BLA1NE wrote:I'm not sure. In PvE, sometimes he shoots an arrow, sometimes he does the backstab, couldn't really tell you why he's doing one and not the other...

Sounds like a glitch imo...
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Without explaining how to do the move because I'm not sure if I can on here or not,if you're curious youtube it. But basically the game applies the bow's stats to your fist during a backstab. As far as I'm concerned it is a glitch, but its not near gamebreaking in any way really.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:56 pm

ErrJon6661 wrote:Without explaining how to do the move because I'm not sure if I can on here or not,if you're curious youtube it. But basically the game applies the bow's stats to your fist during a backstab. As far as I'm concerned it is a glitch, but its not near gamebreaking in any way really.

Good idea.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:32 pm

They have a crit rating, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to backstab legitimately...

Edit: but this is off-topic anyways, so we shouldn't even be discussing bow backstabs in here. It was just something I said in passing, and shouldn't have sparked a tangent.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:42 pm

The bow critical hits are activated by headshots.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:01 pm

It was my thread anyway and I was the one continuing to pursue it
    cdd1983
    cdd1983

Post by cdd1983 Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:05 pm

I've tried to figure out if the sniper crossbow has more lock on range and it doesnt seem to. I dont get the purpose of it at all.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:06 pm

It's actually fairly decent without lock on.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:55 pm

anyone taken into account the rate of fire? if i remember correctly th order of fastes shot/reload to slowest is:

light,heavy,sniper,avelyn. with the light and heavy being pretty much equal

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:53 pm