Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
WyrmHero
chaosrave
sunbro
Wade_Wilson
Quarik
befowler
ViralEnsign_
Dr. Demento
Emergence
White Mamba
ublug
User
skarekrow13
Yukon
DoughGuy
Tolvo
20 posters

The Darkroot Woods

DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

The Darkroot Woods - Page 4 Empty Re: The Darkroot Woods

Post by DoughGuy Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:41 am

Spoiler:
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:42 am

Hmmm he could have just become another Black Knight but then Ornstien didn't and niether did Smough. Artorias was supposed to have been more powerful than all of them. And the Black Knights are just Gwyns faithful followers who accompanied him to the kiln where they were burnt by the the First Flame.

Hardly a fitting end for such an enigmatic figure.

I like the idea of him say exchanging his soul for the power to hold the four kings and the DW's at bay long enough for the Sealers to flood New Londo.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:43 am

That's quite possible, I just wish there was really more to go on, the endings are so brief.

In regards to being a black knight, what if he was scorched by the Flame but went on anyway? His shield does boost great fire resistance haha. But, while his gear is similar it doesn't appear burned. It could mean he was of the same group as them, but didn't go to the kiln. I mean, burning armor doesn't cause it to change designs and cause you to use different weapons. None of the Silver Knights use swords like the black knights, I believe they were a different group all together.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 am

The black knights were the best of gwyns knights and followed him to the kiln. They were also geared to fight demons (as from their wep descriptions). They were burned by the second lighting of the first flame and have something to do with the humanity that keeps the first flame alight. On his shield topic doesnt his shield prevent any status conditions? What is the significance of that?
    ?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:54 am

Actually come to think of it, Bleed doesn't go through his shield does it? Suspicious. It could have to do with his unbendable will, being that no status could hold him back. Come to think of it, that doesn't really make much sense with the cursed Greatsword. As well, maybe the Black Knights were Artorias' men? We don't really know a whole lot about the ranks of Gwyn's military. The Black Knights could have been under Artorias, they certainly do carry some aspects of him. You see no statues of other knights in Anor Londo, but as mentioned there aren't any statues of Artorias either. Come to think of it, the four Knights were left behind to rule correctly? What if these knights are from a specific area under Artorias?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:00 am

What do you mean by specific area under him? Do you mean military wise? because we dont know if Artorias was the leader.

Also I hope you dont mind but Ive been inspired by this to add Artorias to my "There's more to them thread" and will be stealing info off here.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 am

Ah, thief! No it's all good, I'm very happy with how this thread has been going so far.

Didn't Gwyn give a part of his soul to each of the Knights, and give them reign over his land while he went to the first flame? I always assumed it just meant Anor Londo, but a lot of places seem to be under Gwyn...In fact, what if he was left to watch over New Londo?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:08 am

I think he only gave parts of his soul to the four kings and Seath. I think he may have given the knights special souls, but not parts of his.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:14 am

Yes you are correct, that lord soul was given to four leaders of New Londo, though one such could be Atorias that would mean he is one of the Four Kings which I don't entirely believe. So much pondering.

Actually in regards to the Hydra guarding Dusk, it's a possibility and might have some merit. While it could have found it's way into the lake, I find it a bit suspicious that it drops the Crown of Dusk. That ring really shows the frailty of Oolacile, like Dusk herself. However, I find it odd that it boosts the damage of Sorceries. Why would the peaceful people of Oolacile need such a ring?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:20 am

Well it doesnt have anything to do with when Oz was destroyed as the ring was given to her at birth. However Tolvo it does not increase damage it increases casting. Youre thinking of the bellowing dragoncrest ring. It actually makes sense when you consider they could make more light, or hide more often.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:24 am

You're right, man I think I'm just remembering things a way that helps along my idea, that isn't good. The multiple castings doesn't have anything fishy about it really. However the Hydra holding it still seems very odd to me, as well as the fact that the Golden Golem doesn't spawn until its death, then you leave.

So, I'm trying to think of the types of people who can be found in the forest. People of Balder, Astora, Thorulund, the East, Oz, Anor Londo. Now then, isn't it a bit odd that the Forest is such a melting pot? I base these lands off of weapons found at the Grave of Artorias, and the Forest Hunter NPC's.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:27 am

Now that I reread your post you did say it drops the crown of dusk, then talk about the ring. The crown of dusk DOES boost sorceries which means your point still stands.

It does seem odd that this hidden forest is known by people all over the world lol. Maybe the covenant is further reaching than just the forest? Maybe it has agents protecting it throughout the world?
    ;
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:32 am

It's plausible, the Cat Ring actually summons you from anywhere in the world, so people could be out anywhere and get brought back to defend the forest. My question is, how do these people actually join the covenant. Are these people who have defeated other hunters and been given the option? I always find it strange that Alvina would allow you to join just by talking her. Aren't you tresspassing in the forest?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:40 am

You do have to try and understand her mumble jumble then answer correctly twice. You cant recruit new members if you kill every trespasser. You did presumably fight through all the current defenders so she does need people to replace them too.
    Though does it seem weird that their are so many people in this one small area that are non hollows yet throughout the rst of Lordran there are like 5 non hollows? I mean compared to the depths or Anor Londo that place is practically suffocating with people.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:43 am

It does kind of fit though, in every aspect the Forest has the most life in the land. Actually, there isn't a single hollow in the Forest, I've checked.

Well, it could go with that your character is "Special." She does say she has a good feeling about you, so maybe she either just goes off of a gut feeling, bases it off of you agreeing to it, bases it off of your martial skill, or can actually sense potential. What if, Artorias was actually a forest hunter at some point, or stayed one? They did become friends somewhere along the lines, as well if he had a partner in Sif, so it could be that the two of them were companions that hunted in the forest together.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:48 am

Artorias - Forest Hunter turned knight of Gwyn turned darkwraith turned dead. This guy could not hold down a job.
    Alvina doesnt seem like the mobile type to me. I cant see her hunting in the forest. I can however see Sif hunting in the forest. We need to know where Alvina and Sif came from and how they met Artorias.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:50 am

Well both are more than likely denizens of the Forest, there are other Cats in the forest, which I always found very odd. As well Sif being a Giant Wolf, I can't really imagine him being from anywhere else. Actually in regards to possible magic corruption over time, they could be examples, titants of animals made due to magic. Though the crow from the Asylum is massive too, and he doesn't have a known relation to the forest.

Artorias has done everything basically...He is a lot like a player, I can't say I ever stay in one covenant for all that long when I do a playthrough.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:54 am

Is it just me or does the fog ring seem a lot like a ring of permanent hidden body? Is Alvina really a cat? Or is she just using chameleon? And when she disappears is she just using more Oz magic?

Sif on the other hand just seems like a mutated sentient wolf.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:57 am

That's something I've always wondered about the Fog Ring, it is a permanent Hidden Body, a spell sold nearby. A spell useful in a dark forest where it is hard to see, just like the ring is useful. As well if she is capable of teleportation, that is an aspect of the channellers, and Dusk's summoning. For Hidden body or Chameleon, Oz spells. Either way, she has some sort of ties to Oz. I also find it hard to believe that she wouldn't know about the magical presence, but she doesn't mention it at all. Literally I can't find a bit of dialogue where she mentions the hydra or anything else, it's like she either doesn't care or doesn't want to bring attention to it.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:03 am

You suspect that the forest hunters are allies of Seath? That dusk's sorceries were used to buy them out? They woul dbe the perfect cover. Use the defences that the forest already had to protect your treasure. It would explain why dusk is still there. She's being used to broker a deal with Alvina. Seath wouldn't want the kings killed. They are an enemy to Gwyn and thus weaken his power allowing Seath to remain unmolested while he goes about taking over Lordran.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:06 am

I was thinking about the idea, and I mean really it's not all that out there. In fact the Mushroom people protect the Enchanted Ember, mind you protect. They don't just happen to stand around a Chest in the middle of a forest out of nowhere. By the way, attacking the Mushroom children kicks you out of the forest hunters. Is that odd or what?
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:10 am

Oh wow. That is weird. So that would link the enchanted ember to the covenant. And since they cant even use it why would they protect it? Its looking more and more like Seath uses the forest to store his treasures. Also the enchanted ember is from Oz. Just like dusk. So Im going to go out and say it - The forest used to be Oz, but Seath destroyed it and now stores his treasures there. He's used these treasures to buy out the forest hunters.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:15 am

It would explain why he has an uncontested presence there, though if the Hydra is his I can understand why the Hunters might not mess with him.

Actually another thing I've been a bit confused about, why can Beatrice be summoned here? Does she possibly have some relation to Oz, or is she maybe working against Seath? She is a witch, but also a Sorcerer of Old.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:21 am

Well she's obviously an enemy of Seath. She helps you kill the buttefly and then the four kings. But during her time Seath was not mad and would not have been all about killing Oz and kidnapping maidens. She migth have been an enemy of his because he started the Vinheim dragon school, seeing it as competition to her sorcery. But presumably this would also be before the butterfly was there. So ... bugger.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:31 am

Actually come to think of it, the Sorcerer Hunter is of the Vinhein Dragon School. As well Beatrice can use Homing Soul Mass can't she? Wasn't that Pioneered by big hat Logan? Or was just Soul Spear his? I find it interesting that this Butterfly guards the Divine Ember, an ember which makes the Catacombs an easier task. Why would Seath even really care about that? As I said he is a Lord himself, but he really doesn't seem like the type to actually care. Also something I just remembered, in the Dukes you find an Enchanted Falchion, could it be that he was testing around with enchanting items with the Ember? I find it odd really that he would send it back, or possibly that weapon was how he found out about the ember in the first place. What if as well the hunters are hiding that ember from him, wouldn't it be something he'd want dearly? Maybe both have their bargaining chips with one another.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:26 am