Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
WyrmHero
chaosrave
sunbro
Wade_Wilson
Quarik
befowler
ViralEnsign_
Dr. Demento
Emergence
White Mamba
ublug
User
skarekrow13
Yukon
DoughGuy
Tolvo
20 posters

The Darkroot Woods

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

The Darkroot Woods - Page 9 Empty Re: The Darkroot Woods

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:22 pm

Last time I checked it doesn't have a roof, but I can run there some time today on a toon and check, maybe snag a picture.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:45 pm

I just went and checked, on one side it is covered by a dome but on the other the dome is broken. My bad, I didn't walk around the whole structure.

The Darkroot Woods - Page 9 Dsc02915
    The Darkroot Woods - Page 9 Dsc02916
    The Darkroot Woods - Page 9 Dsc02917
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:48 pm

I knew I was right!...Sort of...

Man, that's actually a very beautiful image.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:49 pm

Well thank you, I am ever so happy to be beautiful and wrong at the same time winking

I can upload a bigger image later if you want it.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:51 pm

No problem sweet thing. winking

Please tell me you are a man so this is just a weird post on my part, and not some form of sexual harassment.

Alright, so ideas on the abyss possibly flooding? Does the water merely pass through it like we do? But then, wouldn't it mean that New Londo would have been drained more? As well, why isn't that well full of water?
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:56 pm

Mods! I would like a restraining order on Tolvo, I NEED AN ADULT! HALP!!

Now there is a flaw in logic... maybe the well leads to the abyss too, did you try jumping down with the ring on? haha. Could just be an oversight on Froms part.. I'll let you and dough boy chew on that one.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:58 pm

I just figured an oversight, Viral was supposed to jump down there as all of my toons are on freaking NG+/++ right now, so getting down there is a ***** with my grappy gear.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:35 pm

We are forgetting the Sealers were powerful casters. When you turn the seal you may be doing more than opening the doors, you could be turning off their magic. They may have blocked the well and the gateway to the abyss with magic that they connected to the seal wheel..
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:48 am

It is possible, but I just see nothing that can lead in that direction. As well, why would they care to use magic on a well with a body hanging half way in it?

Also in regards to the bodies, what if they were floating, and as the water rushed out there merely got pushed around? The highest concentration of bodies is right at the floodgates after all.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:17 am

Yes, I mentioned that when I posted, that perhaps the gate was leaking causing them to float and concentrate there, but everyone seemed to have ignored it and been like " BUT WAIT YUKON, what if they floated there because the gate was leaking?"

Lol, I still have a feeling that there was more to the flooding of New Londo than we are lead to believe. Balder knights slaughtering desperate fleeing women with their infants in hand, snipers putting down opposition from the more burly of the town folk. Many of the bodies are in positions that imply to me they were fleeing... this doesn't really lend itself to these people floating around and just ending up this way. The mass of bodies in the courtyard is just unnerving

I am also curious about the parts of newlondo that remain flooded even after you drain it. The set of stairs across the water from the invisible wall. The dev's said you could go anywhere you can see, but thats been proven wrong so many times. But those stairs really catch my eye everytime I go through.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:55 am

The people could have been getting slaughtered by darkwraiths but I dont really buy that. The entire town may have fallen to the abyss so they had to be wiped out. They come back as ghosts because the abyss revived their loyal spirits. Also way to get us off topic wthat guy who spoke about the city under the lake (I think it was Shkar).
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:00 am

I think its more likely Gwyn ordered the killing of the towns people. They are trapped and haunting the place because they were killed wrongfully, not because they are loyal servents to the darklords.

Artorias probably snapped because he was sick of having the blood of innocent townfolks on his hands and decided that Gwyn was wrong here, perhaps a feeling that was compounded by the destruction of Oolacile if gwyn was behind that as well, that just speculation though. and I am taking myself off topic.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:09 am

I meant that when the gates were opened that they would surge towards the valley of the drakes, meaning most would go off but some would stay soaking.

There is the composite bow right above that location, with a view of the valley of the drakes and the gate.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:51 pm

DoughGuy wrote:The people could have been getting slaughtered by darkwraiths but I dont really buy that. The entire town may have fallen to the abyss so they had to be wiped out. They come back as ghosts because the abyss revived their loyal spirits. Also way to get us off topic wthat guy who spoke about the city under the lake (I think it was Shkar).

My bad. I hadn't realized a little bit of related info to my crackpot theory would lead you guys so off track happy
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Haha its not problem. We all enjoy speculating about the lore, its why all these threads 10+ pages.

On our off topic speculating why are there no bodies outside the gates? If when you opened the gates they flowed towards it they wouldnt be in piles but spread all over the ground even into the valley.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:08 pm

DoughGuy wrote:Haha its not problem. We all enjoy speculating about the lore, its why all these threads 10+ pages.

On our off topic speculating why are there no bodies outside the gates? If when you opened the gates they flowed towards it they wouldnt be in piles but spread all over the ground even into the valley.

Actually, I'd thought of that earlier. Another question is, why hasn't the water done any damage to the area outside? The sheer amount of water that would rush out would probably be enough to damage/destroy the bridge, would almost certainly wash out the edge of the cliff some, and would most DEFINITELY at least make the drakes fly off when it happened.

Probably just an oversight though.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:38 am

You ninja'd me by being able to consistently post. Yukon, I noticed that piling theory and like it. DoughGuy beat me to it. Something made them convene and merge into a big matter pile before the gates opening otherwise he's right that there'd be bodies all over the valley. Why don't we see water in the Abyss and well. Damn good questions.....Damn good. I tend to think that the Abyss at least was likely sealed with magic since those kings look like good swimmers and could get out that way. My other crazy theory is that the dome leads to a floor but the covenant is like a key that unlocks a warp point/method as well as allowing you to walk around once there. Although perhaps the water is draining/moving as some mythology states that evil can't cross moving water (some vampire legends and Tolkien's wraiths no likey). Yukon again.....that's actually precisely what I beleive about Artorias, his fall was due to Gywn changing, not Artorias. We have evidence Gwyn kinda went nuts (killing off a city, letting Seath play with his maiden collection: collect 'em all). Bur Artorias was "unbendable" (read, stubborn a-hole). It would fit that he didn't agree with this and his covenant was an agreement to help spare/protect the city.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:42 pm

As for the abyss flooding, are we assuming that the abyss is bottomless? If so, the water would basically just stay in more or less a column instead of flowing out., basically like water out of a faucet.

It doesn't explain why the water level doesn't drop because of it, which supports sealing, but it does answer the question one way at least.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:44 pm

I was wrong about that well actually, I thought it is empty but no, it is indeed filled with water. So it can't lead to the abyss if you jump into it, just death.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Tolvo, you found something less fun than the Abyss
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Tolvo wrote:I believe this was actually a grave to Knights, and that Artorias was merely given a grave here as well.

I know I'm a little late to the discussion, but I believe you to be more or less correct here. It was always my belief that Artorias became a Darkwraith in the end (he killed many of them, yes, but he made a covenant with the creatures of the abyss, for which the only logical/uncontrived explanation is that he became a Darkwraith).

This is why his grave is so guarded - the greatest hero and Knight of Gwyn turned in the end, he discovered the true nature of Gwyn's holocaust and decided to fight for Humanity instead. If this was ever discovered by the masses, Gwyn and the "Gods'" true nefariousness would be exposed, and so the secret of Artorias' covenant was buried deep within the forest.

Subsequently, I believe every warrior that attempted to find the truth's sword to be stuck in the ground outside Artorias' grave. I don't know if the specific swords that are there mean anything...I suppose given how deep into this we all are reading, I shouldn't write anything off...but from an art direction standpoint I can see variety > lore. Still, I think it's just a symbol to let people know that trespassers don't make it out alive.

The only explanation I can think of that would explain exactly why those specific swords are there would be some kind of sham-funeral in which many warriors gathered around and all left their swords in the ground to pay their respects to a warrior as great as Artorias (his treachery remaining a secret to most). That would explain the Great Lord GS and the Gravelord Sword, etc.

As for the Hornet Ring question...is it impossible that one of Gwyn's knights was female? If so, could she and Artorias had something romantic going on? And if so...could she be the one who had to kill him, given his trust in her as a lover? To be honest, I'm stealing this from Metal Gear 3's Joy/Sorrow story and more recently from Adventure Time's Ghost Princess (who was Warrior Princess before she died) backstory...but I don't know, if the corpse is really a woman, why would she just randomly be dead behind Artorias' grave? I think she killed herself there, as it truly doesn't seem like she died in battle. Some Romeo and Juliet s**t right there, you know?

Last edited by JohnnyHarpoon on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:28 pm

The issue now stands though that we came up with a lot of our ideas prior to the New Content anouncement, in which Artorias is actually one of the new bosses...Though it takes place in the past, so it could still be his grave. Sadly I can't really come up with anything and stick with it currently until I see the content released.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:31 pm

Ah. I've been awol for weeks and this is my first time back...didn't even realize there was an announcement beyond the one months ago.

Then again, that picture at the top makes a lot more sense, now.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Yep, I believe that's the guardian of the Oolacile tomb? A Manticore.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:35 pm

When is this **** coming out, so my life can be further ruined/enriched?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am