Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
lextune
befowler
ChizFreak
ARSP
djgq42
exandroide
Rynoa
aceluby
Robotech
DoughGuy
Bawheidbob
BLA1NE
callipygias
Serious_Much
reim0027
vageta31
20 posters

SL 3 Sorcerer playthrough (video w/commentary)

vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

SL 3 Sorcerer playthrough (video w/commentary) - Page 2 Empty Re: SL 3 Sorcerer playthrough (video w/commentary)

Post by vageta31 Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Robotech wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote: ...free aim...

if i remember well you can aim with the bow and then switch to catalyst and the spell will go where you had aimed.
    i remember using this technique in demons souls to clear the boulder in the dragon boss after firelurker. Havent tried this on dark souls though... sounds interesting!

btw... vageta 31, awesome vids, and i love the commentary. Thanks for taking the time to make them! winking

Thanks my friend. I never heard of the bow aiming trick, though I never use bows so that's probably why. Thankfully I only missed one shot on the Dragon, though I missed a few in Sen's on the fire bomber.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

SL 3 Sorcerer playthrough (video w/commentary) - Page 2 Empty Re: SL 3 Sorcerer playthrough (video w/commentary)

Post by vageta31 Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Rynoa wrote:Awesome vids, and a lot of new interesting things!
    I must tell you I removed my cat ring to watch them from beginning to end, while I usually listen to most of the playthrough videos and just watch some parts big grin

As a forest hunter myself I will take that as a nice compliment happy. I have a few forest hunter pvp vids up on my channel as well. I really enjoy taking on 2-3 guys on simultaneously. This is the newest one if you're bored.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2pMxNF-dE
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm gonna watch it now...
    WAIT... is that a RESONANCE RING IN THE FOREST? 2 of them!! OMG I never saw a real one (except the 2 in the catacombs) XD
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:08 pm

I sometimes wonder things like that, like, "Why doesn't he use this or that," then I remember that you're a whole lot better than I am and it's because you don't have to. I've played through the game tons of times, but when I tried your naked, shieldless, non-upgrade challenge I really had a hard time. I eventually gave up because I wasn't having fun. A few weeks ago I discovered the joys of sorcery though, so I might give this challenge a try.
    exandroide
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by exandroide Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:17 pm

i killed the bridge Drake for the first time EVER using your method. well, i have 50 INT, Bellowing Dragoncrest and Gwyndolin's helm...and i was using crystal soul spears. and it was NG++, but aanyways...first time EVER!
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:24 pm

callipygias wrote:I sometimes wonder things like that, like, "Why doesn't he use this or that," then I remember that you're a whole lot better than I am and it's because you don't have to. I've played through the game tons of times, but when I tried your naked, shieldless, non-upgrade challenge I really had a hard time. I eventually gave up because I wasn't having fun. A few weeks ago I discovered the joys of sorcery though, so I might give this challenge a try.

Honestly the naked run wasn't all that fun for me either. I wanted to see if I could do it, but it wasn't all that enjoyable. I love to challenge myself, but do it in a way where I have some room to at least make some choices about gear and such. Just defeating the game as an sl 3 sorcerer with no other limitations is still a legitimate challenge for most, I just had to up the ante after the naked run or else it would have seemed a bit too easy.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:14 pm

vageta31 wrote:
    Rynoa wrote:Awesome vids, and a lot of new interesting things!
    I must tell you I removed my cat ring to watch them from beginning to end, while I usually listen to most of the playthrough videos and just watch some parts big grin

As a forest hunter myself I will take that as a nice compliment happy. I have a few forest hunter pvp vids up on my channel as well. I really enjoy taking on 2-3 guys on simultaneously. This is the newest one if you're bored.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2pMxNF-dE

Mad skills dude. Huge props.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:29 pm

aceluby wrote:

Thanks my friend. It's amazing how fast you can raise your skill by fighting multiple opponents all the time.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:16 am

vageta31 wrote:
    aceluby wrote:

Thanks my friend. It's amazing how fast you can raise your skill by fighting multiple opponents all the time.

Very true, it's why I hone my skills in the forest. It's a great place to test out new strategies, plus there is never a shortage of people willing to fight. It's one of the reasons I like the forest so much.

Make sure to bump this thread when you get more videos up. I really enjoyed watching them.
    djgq42
    djgq42
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by djgq42 Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:35 am

vageta31 wrote:
    aceluby wrote:

i am really enjoying your other videos as well (+1). what are your stats for your int/ dex build?
    ARSP
    ARSP
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ARSP Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:44 am

good job
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Part 5 is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7QdG1vF_7A
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:49 pm

I love after O&S

"I'm sure everyone would want to see boobs mcgee in high def"

I laughed about that one... and I'm not the only one that calls her that!

EDIT: One thing... for sif, if you don't get too far out of his range he'll just keep walking as opposed to jumping at you. Then it's just roll back, fire, wait... repeat.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

All you had to do was ask! Dagger damage ratings:

Fire +10: 312 (156 physical, 156 fire)
    Chaos +10: 264 (122 physical 142 fire) to 319 (148 physical, 171 fire)
    Lightning +10: 310 (154 physical, 156 lightning)
    Dagger +15 + GMW: 338 (140 physical, 198 magic)

Edit: if you want to get really fancy: Crystal +5 + GMW: 349 (151 p, 198 m)

Btw, the heater works really well vs firesage.

Looking forward to your next video!
    Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:46 pm

another interesting video... thanks!
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Good luck. I still want someone to do a NO HUD run...
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:42 pm

ChizFreak wrote:Good luck. I still want someone to do a NO HUD run...

No HUD isn't really all that difficult. If you go melee only then the only thing you need in your hotbar is your estus. Just max out your estus flasks and keep bonfires kindled so that you can heal whenever you take any significant damage. Any other items like transient curse, green blossoms, etc.. can be used from inventory safely.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:44 pm

BLA1NE wrote:All you had to do was ask! Dagger damage ratings:

Fire +10: 312 (156 physical, 156 fire)
    Chaos +10: 264 (122 physical 142 fire) to 319 (148 physical, 171 fire)
    Lightning +10: 310 (154 physical, 156 lightning)
    Dagger +15 + GMW: 338 (140 physical, 198 magic)

Edit: if you want to get really fancy: Crystal +5 + GMW: 349 (151 p, 198 m)

Btw, the heater works really well vs firesage.

Looking forward to your next video!

The crystal dagger with GMW seems like a good option. Considering I barely use my dagger it's not going to need to be repaired anyways and offers the highest damage. If I take out the Black Knights before Gwyn then I can cast it outside the fog with lingering dragoncrest ring, swap back to hornet then probably take him out before GMW runs out.

Did the +15 dagger damage take into consideration my base dex?
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:59 pm

No, that's right, you'll probably get a few more points from scaling for +15 and Crystal.

About the Lingering Ring: its effects only last while you have it equipped. So if you swap it out right away, it won't increase the spell's duration.

You might have time to cast it right after you've walked through the fog, while Gwyn runs and lunges at you. But whether you cast it before or after you've walked through, 1 minute will probably be enough to almost kill him. You could keep an elemental dagger in your second right hand slot to finish Gwyn off with if your buff wears off.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:26 am

BLA1NE wrote:No, that's right, you'll probably get a few more points from scaling for +15 and Crystal.

About the Lingering Ring: its effects only last while you have it equipped. So if you swap it out right away, it won't increase the spell's duration.

You might have time to cast it right after you've walked through the fog, while Gwyn runs and lunges at you. But whether you cast it before or after you've walked through, 1 minute will probably be enough to almost kill him. You could keep an elemental dagger in your second right hand slot to finish Gwyn off with if your buff wears off.

Hmm in my limited testing it does work somewhat, but not at full length. Ie;

GMW without ring: 1:00

GMW with ring: 1:30

GMW with ring, then remove: 1:15

Not a drastic change, but if I have time to safely use the ring I tend to do so. When I invade the forest it definitely seems to last longer. It may not matter in the end if I can get a few parries off in the beginning the fight won't even last a minute. I was just considering using strong magic shield since my heater may not be enough to block Gwyn's first attack. I'm thinking with SMS it'll be more than enough stability though.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:17 am

In my tests, the ring worked for however long I had it equipped. So if I removed it right away, the spell would be its regular 1:00. When I removed it after 45 seconds, then the spell's total duration was 1:15. And if I had it on the whole time, it was 1:30.

Also, I don't think you can have both SMS and GMW. You need a catalyst in right hand to apply SMS to shield in left, and a catalyst in left to apply GMW to weapon in right. Problem is, when you switch weapons and back, the buff wears off. I know this is true for right hand weapons. I haven't tried it with shields, but I'd assume it's the same. So if you'd apply GMW, then switch to your catalyst to cast SMS then switch back to your weapon, it won't be buffed anymore.

I'm pretty certain the heater will be able to handle a few hits from Gwyn. Problem is some of his fire damage will probably get through. With only 8 Vit, you could consider upgrading it along the fire path. Its stability will stay at the base 55 (vs 68 for Heater +14), but its fire resistance will go up to 84 (vs 70 for Heater +14). Although, when you riposte him, you have enough time to drink a flask while he's getting back up. So as long as you don't take too many hits before parrying, the Heater +14 could end up being the safer option.

Anyways, food for thought! Good luck.
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:36 am

BLA1NE wrote:In my tests, the ring worked for however long I had it equipped. So if I removed it right away, the spell would be its regular 1:00. When I removed it after 45 seconds, then the spell's total duration was 1:15. And if I had it on the whole time, it was 1:30.

Also, I don't think you can have both SMS and GMW. You need a catalyst in right hand to apply SMS to shield in left, and a catalyst in left to apply GMW to weapon in right. Problem is, when you switch weapons and back, the buff wears off. I know this is true for right hand weapons. I haven't tried it with shields, but I'd assume it's the same. So if you'd apply GMW, then switch to your catalyst to cast SMS then switch back to your weapon, it won't be buffed anymore.

I'm pretty certain the heater will be able to handle a few hits from Gwyn. Problem is some of his fire damage will probably get through. With only 8 Vit, you could consider upgrading it along the fire path. Its stability will stay at the base 55 (vs 68 for Heater +14), but its fire resistance will go up to 84 (vs 70 for Heater +14). Although, when you riposte him, you have enough time to drink a flask while he's getting back up. So as long as you don't take too many hits before parrying, the Heater +14 could end up being the safer option.

Anyways, food for thought! Good luck.

It's the same w/ shields, I've tested this.
    vageta31
    vageta31
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vageta31 Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Part 6 is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guj5x6U0IQ0
    aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by aceluby Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:57 pm

Nice...

One thing, for the 1st battle w/ seath you can equip both the rare ring and regular ring of sacrifice and it will use whichever is applicable (rare if cursed, regular if not).

Also, why was there a fog for seath the 2nd time? Did you get killed the first time(s)?
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Yeah he explains from about 8:00-11:00 about the initial run and eventually getting killed by Seath.

vageta - random aside, I like your "ultimate lagstab" video lol. I've seen some similar crazy things in the forest.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:04 pm