Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Dark Souls 2 Story Speculation (Video)

Silver Mont
    Silver Mont
    Casual
    Casual

Dark Souls 2 Story Speculation (Video) Empty Dark Souls 2 Story Speculation (Video)

Post by Silver Mont Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:15 am

I wasn't sure if I should put this in the archives / lore section or in the Dark Souls II section... I thought I'd play it safe as it's obviously more related to the sequel!

Just as a small warning, if you want to keep your DaS2 experience 100% fresh, you'll probably want to avoid this - it spoils some spells, weapons, armour, characters and most likely where the game is set (or at least, partially) that said... if you've been watching the beta footage already, you might not mind!

But what do you think? Of the characters and in particular, the gods?

CaligoIllioneus
    CaligoIllioneus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Dark Souls 2 Story Speculation (Video) Empty Re: Dark Souls 2 Story Speculation (Video)

Post by CaligoIllioneus Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:24 pm

I watched it, quite interesting. Lovely animals, by the way.

Anyways, not much to add except that those are not dragons by the castle, they're drakes/wyverns, just like the Hellkite and the other respawning ones in the Valley of Drakes. They are distant relatives of the true dragons.

Oh and the "killed the ancient dragon and tasted omniscience" part I believe is just a legend  which may be a bastardization of Gwyn and Seath (a king and a sorcerer figure) taking on the Ancient Dragons, and the mention of dangerous magic and Old Olaphis may be a bastardization of Oolacile, or it may simply be a new legend. I say this because I don't see how that could have worked out in reality, I don't see how two humans could slay an Ancient Dragon, and the only Ancient Dragon alive is the Ash Lake one, which is immortal and cannot move, anyways. And we never heard of killing dragons giving you any special powers in this world. We do know of real myths where dragonslaying can grant powers, such as Siegfried's, when he bathes in the blood to attain invulnerability.

Anyways my other thoughts I will add here
    Silver Mont
    Silver Mont
    Casual
    Casual

Dark Souls 2 Story Speculation (Video) Empty Re: Dark Souls 2 Story Speculation (Video)

Post by Silver Mont Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:05 am

I had a comment left on the video to a similar effect, and it would be pretty cool if such time had passed that the wording/pronunciation of these places had changed. Seath -> Straid. Oolacile -> Olaphis and so forth. And if it isn't? Well... more fuel to the fire, so to speak.

I am very interested to see if the 'dragons' in Dark Souls 2 are actually dragons, or if people are just referring to wyverns/drakes and such as dragons because they don't know the difference? And then there's the covenants and the gods, and whether or not these are the same gods or new ones.

Just had a look at that thread - it was a good read!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:41 am

Well to be honest on the dragon thing it's obvious in dark souls they don't play along with this classical dragon mythology people seem to talk about, as shown by bridge wyvern having 4 legs and wings and seath having tentacles on him and stuff like that. I just threw any preconception about that to the wind (not that I cared much before as it's just 'I say tomato you say tomato' kind of difference- irrelevant)

The gods... I just want to meet some that we never saw in Dark Souls 1. As it seems this is a sequel seeing people like gwynevere or allfather lloyd seems a bit unlikely, but I'm hoping velka pops up, she's a very interesting one.
    CaligoIllioneus
    CaligoIllioneus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CaligoIllioneus Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:37 am

Serious_Much wrote:Well to be honest on the dragon thing it's obvious in dark souls they don't play along with this classical dragon mythology people seem to talk about, as shown by bridge wyvern having 4 legs and wings and seath having tentacles on him and stuff like that. I just threw any preconception about that to the wind (not that I cared much before as it's just 'I say tomato you say tomato' kind of difference- irrelevant)

The gods... I just want to meet some that we never saw in Dark Souls 1. As it seems this is a sequel seeing people like gwynevere or allfather lloyd seems a bit unlikely, but I'm hoping velka pops up, she's a very interesting one.
    The Bridge Wyvern does not have 4 legs and wings. It only has 2 legs and looks exactly like other drakes/wyverns in Dark Souls except bigger.

I went and took a screenshot to show how he only has two legs and wings. Compare it with the others in the Valley of Drakes, like this one:

Dark Souls 2 Story Speculation (Video) CxjGEcp

Ancient Dragons all look the same (based on what we see in the intro and Ash Lake)

Drakes/Wyverns all look relatively the same except size and color (based on the hellkite, the Valley of Drakes, and the Anor Londo trophies)

Other dragons are the ones whose looks vary wildly, like Kalameet, Seath, Gaping Dragon, etc.

Now go check the ones from Dark Souls 2 and as you can see even though the model was updated and does not look 100% the same (especially the head, which is more reminiscent of DkS2 dragons), it has all the characteristics of a Hellkite Wyvern...only two legs, prominent ribcage, appears to be eyeless, is red.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:41 am