Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
fearandwhiskey
WerehoundXX
undead lee
Griever
befowler
Desiani
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Po1ymorph
Dj-B-Man-Jr
Tolvo
MrBeefy3
15 posters

The Ballad of the Newbie

WerehoundXX
    WerehoundXX

The Ballad of the Newbie - Page 6 Empty Re: The Ballad of the Newbie

Post by WerehoundXX Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:38 pm

And don't forget, once its +6 you can do the rest yourself
    MrBeefy3
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MrBeefy3 Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:12 am

Still not killed those two, getting disheartened, running out of Humanity too :/

I can't even leave the place and get to Firelink, I have to kill these guys before I can leave :/
    Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:54 am

MrBeefy3 wrote:Hey guys bit of a problem here - trying to upgrade a Falchion to +10 but even at the giant blacksmith he's only letting me get to +5, I don't know why, I need it to +10 for Quelaag's sword.

Having a mini meltdown :/

you need to give andre the ember from depths in order to go beyond +5. It is very easy to get, it's in a chest behind the butcher, be carefull of the dogs though!
    Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:55 am

MrBeefy3 wrote:Still not killed those two, getting disheartened, running out of Humanity too :/

I can't even leave the place and get to Firelink, I have to kill these guys before I can leave :/

do you have the flip ring?
    MrBeefy3
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MrBeefy3 Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:26 am

I don't have the flip ring :/
    PPG-3-
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PPG-3- Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:34 am

You'll be alright.

Just stay cool. Summon some helpers and play conservatively. Make sure they are healed up as much as possible and keep our distance once your down to just one of them. stick and move. when they jump up to do that sumo squash with lightning move, unlock and turn and run.
    Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:18 pm

the flip ring helps alot in this fight but it is not 100% essential. A short list of things that will help you with this fight are the following. I tried to make it as short as possible but it turned out to be alot of reading, but perhaps others can use this info as well. Well here it is...

-go 25% equip load even if you have to go down to wearing only your underwear, positioning and quick rolling is key for this fight, when charging, Ornstein can move half the distance of the room in a second...so dont make his life easier.
    -99% once you pass the fog gate ornstein is going to come charging at you so raise your shield and run sideways behind the pillars the moment you enter so you dont get knocked down or have to heal from the start.
    -In terms of armor, any armor with focus on phys+lightg res is good. Play a little with combos and see what offers better stats. And a 100% phys shield (eagle is best for low levels).
    -For rings i suggest havels + lightg res (you can buy it from the merchant in sens, costs 15k i think)
    -For Weapons use anything that is strong and light enough so you can roll. A quick swinging weapon is highly prefferable. Better type of weapons for this fight is fire, which actually works very well for both bosses. Also i strongly suggest you use pyromancy in this fight both versions of o+s are as flamable as gasoline.
    -Patience is key in this fight specially if you're trying to solo, time your hits nicely and wait for the openings, dont rush.
    -Dont forget to lower your shield after each block, rolling or landing a combo. You will need your stamina to be high at all times so you can block the fat guys hammer or roll away from the short guys quick attacks which usually come when least expected if you are focused on the fatty for too long.
    -Try to have both of them within your sight at all times and never stay between them, ideally you should make cyrcles around the room and keeping both of them in the center and closing your distance to land a few hits and run back to safe distance and continue cyrcling again. Try not to get cornerred!
    -Pillars can offer protection from most of their attacks but only at the 1st phase really and only after the pillars are destroyed. So it is advisable to heal behind them or use them for cover. In 2nd phase most attacks of both bosses go through the pillars so dont rely on them for cover so much.
    -If using any kind of range battle make sure your shots are clear of smoughs hammer as it is huge and blocks all attacks that land on it, so you dont waste any of your 4 precious chaos fireballs on it for example.
    -The lightning butt slam is your number one concern in this battle, no matter what you're doing when you see the boss go up in the air roll backwards 2-3 times instalntly. If you get cought in a butt slam or ornstein catches you with the spear your next move is only to run far and heal, nothing else, then you can return to the battle safely, without risking death.
    -Dont forget to heal regularly! Pay more attention to your healing than to your damage output. Kindle to max and equip humanities and divine blessings on the hot keys, it is better to go low on flasks and having to pop a few humanities for healing than dying and
    starting all over again while super O was only 1 swing away!

I suggest you try to solo this boss even if it takes you 50 or 60 tries, the psychological boost that you will get by soloing them will be so high that will make the rest of the game much easier! A very good idea is to put your soul sign next to the bonfire and practise the boss from the safety of being a ghost. This will help you alot in learning theit hits and patterns of movement and coincidentally this will help you time your hits much better.

That's it really, sorry if i missed anything important and please feel free to add/correct ...praise the sun, and good luck! big grin Praise the Sun
    MrBeefy3
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MrBeefy3 Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:03 pm

Sorry guys, not been playing much due to work/college/gf :c I can tell you since I've got to play a bit I've killed Havel, the Hydra, Sif and Seath :3

Just slowly making progress whenever I can, my next target before I kill the next lord (I dunno who or what he/she is) is to go into New Londo and get the ember to power my Man-Serpent Greatsword to +15 big grin

Running around in Ornstein's armour too.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Don't forget to + rep the helpful folks who are assisting you along the way as a way of saying thanks!
    Langoulk
    Langoulk
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Langoulk Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:12 pm

Heyyy, i'm getting my man-serpent greatsword to +x too! Such a sick weapon.

Robotech gave some very very sound advice.

For me, I like to try and do everything on my own at first, just to prove to myself that I can do it.

Also, as weird as it sounds...always be thinking when playing, not just using your reflexes. Think of what moves an enemy uses at what ranges and how much they combo, knowing this even on a lesser enemy will save you from ever being hit.

I know it sounds stupid lol, but I am always thinking about everything I see/encounter/have seen and have encountered to help me solve new problems that arise.

Good luck!
    MrBeefy3
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MrBeefy3 Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:15 am

So I've completed the game, killed Gwyn on my 4th attempt, created a sorcerer, rocketing through the game now I know what to do, just killed gaping dragon and omw to Blighttown all I wanted to know is this :

Will upgrading my catalyst to +1 to +5 increase the damage I do with spells?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:00 am

You can't upgrade Catalysts, outside of turning them into the Darkmoon one. However you can upgrade Pyro flames, which will increase the damage Pyromancy does.
    MrBeefy3
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MrBeefy3 Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:26 am

So basically the only thing that's gonna let me do more damage with spells is Intelligence?

No need to upgrade catalysts at all since they just let you use your spells... When can I buy new spells then? Do I need to release Logan from Sen's Fortress before I can buy any?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:33 am

There are a few people who sell spells, as well some can be found in the world.

Griggs of Vinheim, he is found in the basement, the area with the Capra Demon. You need the Residence Key from the undead Merchant in the burg. He is on the way to the Torch Hollows. He sells Early level spells, and later medium level spells when Big Hat leaves.

Rick of Vinheim, in New Londo, the magic blacksmith. Sells basic spells.

Dusk of Oolacile. You have to kill the Hydra in Darkroot, go back to a Bonfire, get to the cave behind the hydra, kill the Golem, free her, talk to her, then quit and reload. Near where you fight the Hydra will be a summon sign, summon her and buy support spells from her. She sells the most useful low int catalyst.

Big Hat Logan, found in Sen's Fortress behind the wall broken by the Boulder. He'll sell medium level spells, and later high level/end game spells.

By the way, for information on what Catalyst to use at what levels of int, check out Blaine's thread, it has all the info you need Beefy.

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t53-magic-adjusts-all-catalysts-all-levels

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:16 pm