Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
reim0027
Animaaal
Serious_Much
Jansports
GrinTwist
The_Red_Drifter
KrazykevS10
Maneater_Mildred
Soris Ice Goldwing
User1
SirArchmage
Rynn
LunarFog
Dibsville
ExplodingPenguin
19 posters

What are your personal rules in a duel?

ExplodingPenguin
    ExplodingPenguin
    Addicted
    Addicted

What are your personal rules in a duel? Empty What are your personal rules in a duel?

Post by ExplodingPenguin Sun May 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Be it Darkmooning, Darkwraithing, Forest Hunting...I would assume everyone has different little rules they follow in a duel/punch-up when they invade or duel other players.
    I joined the Forest Hunters with one of my characters while I was harvesting clams in Crystal Cave. I fought someone in the Forest area and when they killed me they dropped a Prism Stone where I died- there was also another one over in a bunch of trees, where I assumed they killed another Hunter. I also invaded someone else a few minutes later and we waved at each other from afar before attacking.

Typically when I fight I won't backstab unless they are ganging someone; I ran into that when Hunting, as one had a sunbro with them and was beating one of my catbros, so I Persue'd the sunbro and attacked him so the fight was 1v1 until I managed to backstab the Master (which was actually by accident hilariously enough, I was trying to bash the sunbro with my Black Knight Axe when the Master ran in front of me and I backstabbed him by accident and killed him) but other than accidental stabs, I usually won't backstab them.

Unless something like that is going down (with an unfair gang-fight) I will usually bow to my opponents- which is kinda weird as I'll do it even while Hunting/Darkwraith invading but I've had quite a few trespassers return the gesture- those who don't I'll kill them with whatever I have, be it Persuers or Wrath of the Gods.

I'm also fond of Pyromancy so I'll use that- I have no problems with people using whatever they have on hand. I won't spam my spells though, so even if I use WotG, I will only do it if they are trying to circle to backstab me excessively.

What about you guys? Do you bow? Do you do a trident dance? What are your rules? Proper Bows?
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

What are your personal rules in a duel? Empty Re: What are your personal rules in a duel?

Post by Dibsville Sun May 12, 2013 7:23 pm

-I only backstab if I can clearly see my opponent going for one or I'm being ganked
    -If I see a 1v1, I decide whether to join depending on the location I'm in and each person's setup
    -If I see a Giantdad, I do "Well! What is it!", then proceed to slaughter him
    -Only heal if my opponent heals, I'm being ganked, or it's obvious they don't deserve their kills (Ex. someone backstabbing me while I'm Waving, or someone who's spamming Gold Tracer)

That's about it.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

What are your personal rules in a duel? Empty Re: What are your personal rules in a duel?

Post by LunarFog Sun May 12, 2013 7:29 pm

1.) Win

That said, I rarely "duel"
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun May 12, 2013 7:30 pm

I make up my rules as I go.

But from watching my stream play back, i do have tendancies.
    >I immediately backstab if my opponent even starts to do the backstab dance.
    >I tend to wave or bow from a distance if i think your alone.
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Sun May 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Depends on the person. I am a Darkwraith and usually when I invade they start attacking me on sight. Don't really care about that. I treat them the same way that I usually would with someone that bowed. Don't back-stab unless they run or use a giant weapon, don't use my pyromancy, don't heal, and don't be obsesively agreesive. Should they heal, gank, run away, hide around a corner waiting for me, or if they are just a giantdad, I will abandon all my normal rules. I will kill them with the environment, use all my pyromancies, backstab them(even though I suck at it.) and be so aggressive they have no breathing room. Usually won't heal though, even if being ganked.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sun May 12, 2013 7:42 pm

1. Have fun!

If the other person is indicating they don't want a fight right away, and just wants some fun, I'll join in!

2. In normal cases, use any and all tactics!

Hornet Ring? Got that. Rapier? Got that. Dark Bead and Black Flame? Got that.
    Just because people don't like the way I play, doesn't mean I'll suddenly change what I'm successful with.
    ExplodingPenguin
    ExplodingPenguin
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ExplodingPenguin Sun May 12, 2013 7:54 pm

I don't really heal in a duel- I'll just fight until one of us die. That and I really suck at pvp'ing so more often than not I'm the one who dies; but hey I have fun. I hate those ones who gang-fight you though; or backstab you when bowing. Lousy people, I'm just trying to be gorram poliet.

...Is dark bead and black flame considedered 'bad'? Why? They are really easy to avoid. What's a Giantdad?
    SirArchmage
    SirArchmage
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by SirArchmage Sun May 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Giantdad is someone that wears full Giant +5 armor, usually with a family mask.

Yes, Dark Bead and BLack Flame are considered bad because Black Flame is, in all aspects, a better version of Great Combustion as spamming it can destroy a shield guard, stunlock them, and interrupt their roll. Dark Bead is considered bad because it is very fast, easy to spam, and up close can easily one hit someone. Also very hard to avoid if you haven't faced it before or are in large armor. Pursuers are thought to be even worse though. I could win nearly every fight online if I only used Dark Magic.

ExplodingPenguin
    ExplodingPenguin
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ExplodingPenguin Sun May 12, 2013 8:09 pm

SirArchmage wrote:Giantdad is someone that wears full Giant +5 armor, usually with a family mask.

Yes, Dark Bead and BLack Flame are considered bad because Black Flame is, in all aspects, a better version of Great Combustion as spamming it can destroy a shield guard, stunlock them, and interrupt their roll. Dark Bead is considered bad because it is very fast, easy to spam, and up close can easily one hit someone. Also very hard to avoid if you haven't faced it before or are in large armor. Pursuers are thought to be even worse though. I could win nearly every fight online if I only used Dark Magic.

...I'm a fond user of Pursuers XD But I haven't gotten hate mail or anything over it; I would assume it's because I'm a catbro and we are...well known for our savage tactics.

Hm, the few times I've used Dark Bead they've always leapt out of the way or avoided it and I suck with black flame since it usually lets people backstab you while doing.

Oh so that's what a Giant Dad is. I've only enountered a few mask wearers and they are usually in Havel's getup with that creepy child mask. That was the person with the prisim stones.
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Soris Ice Goldwing
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by Soris Ice Goldwing Sun May 12, 2013 8:16 pm

1. Bow if the opponent bows and bow when I win.
    2. Adapt to the situation of the fight. Results from here vary but it normally follows these rules.
    3.Survive and win at most cost.
    4.If foe is a tank or dark magic spammer, kill by any means generally and leave without remorse.
    5.Never backstab but be ready to abuse the area where a backstab is possible. Normally it happen with bs fishers do I backstab them.
    6.Alway get at least one or two parries and riposte immediately.
    7.If there is a healer bleed them out or 2-hand backstab them. Repeat if must.
    8.If there is a hacker bc out.

That really is it.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Sun May 12, 2013 8:29 pm

For a duel...

Bow
    Fight
    No bs
    No heal
    Bow

Will only bs in a 2 or 3 vs me, still won't heal.
    KrazykevS10
    KrazykevS10
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by KrazykevS10 Sun May 12, 2013 8:44 pm

No backstabs,no healing,no magic/miracles and no R1 spam. (Pyro is fine)
    The_Red_Drifter
    The_Red_Drifter
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by The_Red_Drifter Sun May 12, 2013 9:23 pm

I usually bow for most duels.
    I used to care about BSing, but after dueling enough randoms in the Burg I'm much more lenient on the whole deal. I don't fish myself, although my favorite playstyle (mostly unlocked) does result in a lot of bs on either side.
    I dislike healing and won't do it unless the opponent does and I have time. I stop playing fair when others do.
    I like to mix things up often on the same build. I rarely go for more than a couple of matches using the same weapon unless I'm practicing or I'm doing cosplay.
    Other than that, I'm not all that upset about pretty much anything in the game, outside of ganking crap. Probably will be upset about hackers soon, since it seems to be happening on PS3 now.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Sun May 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Depends, I rarely "duel" as much as invade. It normally ends up with either dealing with questers, gankers, or someone looking for a duel.

If it's a quester with phantoms: No rules, do everything to win.
    Gankers: No rules, spam "well, what is it?" if I win.
    Duel: Bow, don't flask, refrain from BSing, and send a message "Good fight" after the fight ends regardless of who won.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sun May 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Duel? No item healing.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun May 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Buff
    Bow
    Duel.

Generally I'd say no BS, mainly because it's kinda annoying and a desperation tactic.

Parries and dead angles are a bit awkward for me too as i feel one is just half luck and is down to lag half the time, and the other is a blatant abuse of lag and faulty game mechanics. (I've discussed that opinion before and I won't do so here) I'm fine with them being used, but i personally prefer not to.

I'd say magic is allowed- even spamming and buffs. to be honest i never got the hatred for spamming. It's a gamble- you use up all your main firepower in one go trying to inflict as much damage as possible. It's a tactic that i'd say is no worse than poise tanking with a large weapon or using ninja flip with a light build- it's a tactical set up, though a risky one.

I'd also say just for me that blossom is prohibited. Why not just save each other the time and fight without it rather than making everyone farm/buy it just to be on a level playing field? Also it's a bit of a crutch to be fair.

No healing (kinda a given really)

Also no matter how cheap your opponent fights, bow at the end- it's both courteous and blood boiling for anyone pulling all the tricks in the book only to lose to you
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun May 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Burg/Kiln

Bow-->buff-->fight

Forest

Bow-->buff-->fight

1) If I hosted in the forest and my phantom backstabbed a bower, I black crystal'd them.

2) I always thought 1 humanity heal was an okay exception. No divine blessings though, too fast. Miracles go for it lol.

3) There's an entire set of dueling rules I'd love to go by....but, nothing is op but skill right? lol.
    ExplodingPenguin
    ExplodingPenguin
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ExplodingPenguin Sun May 12, 2013 10:07 pm

Yeah I typically bow first, than I'll wait a few seconds for people to buff their weapons/cast spells or switch their equipment. It's only when they attack me mid-bow do I get grumpy; due to that I cast Pursuers first when I arrive, then I bow at a safe distance- if they attack me while I'm bowing, they get Pursuers in the face.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun May 12, 2013 10:56 pm

Forest: KILL. That's it.

Darkstalker/Darkmoon (where you invade a quester, not a camper): Kill. Run away, hide behind enemies, set traps. About the only thing I don't use is TWoP or heal (unless my opponent does).

Official duel: Pretty much the rules for the official wiki FC. But, I do adapt to my partner's preference (if I know them).
    MiareNoKo
    MiareNoKo

Post by MiareNoKo Sun May 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Bow (proper if on a character it fits), no humanity/divine blessing. That is all. I don't mind if you already have a buff up, but if you do it after I get there, you're fair game.
    goober0331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by goober0331 Sun May 12, 2013 11:37 pm

I basically view duels as any other invasion. If my opponent bows than it usually means the fight will be somewhat better, but you really cant get your hopes up.

How many times you see someone bow, than buff a katana, two-hand it, and then just rush for a running backstab. Bowing is very redundant to me, especially since it is usually just a ploy to expose a cheap backstab.

There really isnt any thing as a "duel" outside of any FC or player covenant you might encounter.

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun May 12, 2013 11:57 pm

goober0331 wrote:I basically view duels as any other invasion. If my opponent bows than it usually means the fight will be somewhat better, but you really cant get your hopes up.

How many times you see someone bow, than buff a katana, two-hand it, and then just rush for a running backstab. Bowing is very redundant to me, especially since it is usually just a ploy to expose a cheap backstab.

There really isnt any thing as a "duel" outside of any FC or player covenant you might encounter.

Ya know, it kinda makes you wonder why they put bows in to begin with :suspect:
    goober0331
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by goober0331 Mon May 13, 2013 12:12 am

Well obviously out of respect for the other person you are fighting. However even if it was meant for good, which I doubt since its DkS, people will abuse it, which they do. Just look at the backstab.

Its nothing personal against anyone. I just dont bow cause I dont respect anyone. I'm here to kill you. If you want some pleasantries to make the death easier to swallow than fine, be my guest. However I'm not participating.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon May 13, 2013 12:12 am

The rules I duel by are:
    Bow first, then buff. You get one buff unless we agree otherwise. I will attack if you buff a wep and then eat grass or vice versa.
    No healing
    No rebuff while duel is in progress
    BS only to punish tactics that put me at a severe disadvantage in punishing otherwise. In other words, no "fishing".
    No spears unless the opponent uses a long spear (SKS MLBH DSS DS Pike) in the main hand
    No chain BS
    No tickstab
    Only wakeup attacks that have a decent chance of failing, like an r2 at range. Wakeup GC is not avoidable if I time it right and I know how to time it right.

Last edited by Ghadis_God on Mon May 13, 2013 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Mon May 13, 2013 12:15 am

Basically, I fight how I want to be fought.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:58 pm