Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Baal-Avatar
Peaceful Wollyhop
Dubscythe
Bloodpact91
Xaelai
Serious_Much
User1
MiketheMushroomMan
12 posters

Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls?

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls? - Page 2 Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls?

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:32 pm

He just tries to produce quality contact and take reasonable feedback when it is presented. He does however hate pandering which I really appreciate on his part.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls? - Page 2 Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls?

Post by Dubscythe Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Tolvo wrote:He just tries to produce quality contact and take reasonable feedback when it is presented. He does however hate pandering which I really appreciate on his part.

Honestly I just don't like the guy, he seems like a prick and I never did like his videos.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Yeah I find that fair if you just don't like him.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Anyway. Bioshock, Art, it's subjective, there is no real answer.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Well it being art is a fact, what quality of art it is, is the subjective aspect. If I want to play super technical lawyer.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Tolvo wrote:Well it being art is a fact, what quality of art it is, is the subjective aspect. If I want to play super technical lawyer.

I think even calling it art in the first place is a matter of opinion. I've never really thought of video games as an art form.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:52 pm

If you are using creativity and imagination to create something, said something can be considered art.

However I will say this much, I hate the focus of art over gameplay. In the gaming world an issue with art games is often that they focus on being artistic without making them be actually enjoyable games.

I'd take more art games seriously myself if they were solid games, that were also about art.

Similar to how I love Star Wars Games, there are also a lot of **** ones. They can use the Star Wars license all they want, but it has to be a Good Game first and a Good Star Wars experience second.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Tolvo wrote:
    However I will say this much, I hate the focus of art over gameplay. In the gaming world an issue with art games is often that they focus on being artistic without making them be actually enjoyable games.

THANK

YOU
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:05 pm

There are also a lot of times other art mediums would work better than a game. In regards to art and gaming, it works best if you are making a person feel like they are a part of an experience, typically done by having mechanics built in that help convey the idea.

Just having cut scenes in between with a "Great" story comes off more like a wasted opportunity to me, because frankly it should be a film or series of short films. Or if it is about reading fragmented stories of text within a game, why not just have a book? There are a lot of times where I do have to ask, "Does this being a video game enhance or hinder the experience?"
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Rent it. It's short enough that you can get the full experience that way and, if you really like it, then you can buy it.
    MiketheMushroomMan
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MiketheMushroomMan Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:09 am

I know a lot of people have said the two games cannot be compared like for like - because they are different genres - but that doesnt mean they cannot be compared on some levels - eg - how much they stand out as works of art - or how playable they are - or how strong the story/lore is - obviously its subjective and difficult to make technical comparisons - but i personally think its still worth discussing - as BI is a new release, is getting a lot of critical acclaim and im curious to know what the Souls community thinks of it.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am

I'm also going to point ask: who are you (being anyone) to judge somethings artistic merit? Isn't art about expression? They honestly express their thoughs and/or feelings and you say "not as good as this other art over here?" Such behavior reeks or pretentious asshattery. Wether or not, as far as the art aspect goes, you like, or even understand it, is irrelevant. saying its "not as good as _" is akin to telling someone that the their feelings arn't as good as someone elses.

With that out of the way, I never liked the series. Never could put my finger on what it was I didn't like though.
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:37 am

its better that most crap that get shovel out these days just buy or replay Bioshock it will be better

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:16 pm