Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
BIG TIME MASTER
Ashran
Serious_Much
Tolvo
8 posters

Interview with Director and Supervisor

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Interview with Director and Supervisor Empty Interview with Director and Supervisor

Post by Tolvo Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:43 pm

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/02/dark-souls-ii-to-have-slightly-larger-world-wont-be-open-world/

I'm not entirely sure if this has been posted, if so just link the thread with it in it and we can leave this one behind. Still reading the interview myself. My buddy Matt showed this to me.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Interview with Director and Supervisor Empty Re: Interview with Director and Supervisor

Post by Serious_Much Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:38 am

Good find tolvo, add another penny to your rep mountain.

I almost had a heart attack when i read won't be open world, but then found looking at the article it means not free roam open like skyrim is, which is good news. Free exploration with blinders is a nice way of doing it, and lets souls keep it's level design and ideal intact.

Other than that, seems like status quo on other interviews though, bigger, better graphics, mention of servers... I don't like that they've wholly gone back on the old no dlc stance, when i thought AotA should really have been a one off. Plus I don't like that when they seem to favour the odd DLC have decided no extra weapons would be added after it, makes little sense to me but i guess that's their call.
    Ashran
    Ashran
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Interview with Director and Supervisor Empty Re: Interview with Director and Supervisor

Post by Ashran Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:49 am

Seems like miyazaki really trust shibuya to do a good game. Let us pray.

In regards to how Dark Souls II will connect to its predecessor, it will take place in the same world, although it won’t be a direct sequel. The story will take place in a different area with different people.

Confirmed. If it isnt a direct sequel but yet connected with DkS we can assume its a prequel.

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:53 am

Ashran wrote:Seems like miyazaki really trust shibuya to do a good game. Let us pray.

In regards to how Dark Souls II will connect to its predecessor, it will take place in the same world, although it won’t be a direct sequel. The story will take place in a different area with different people.

Confirmed. If it isnt a direct sequel but yet connected with DkS we can assume its a prequel.

I'm pretty sure you could just as easily make a non direct sequel by using different characters, but it's in the same world.

As I've said before, it's either gonna be a prequel (not so likely in my opinion), or the souls series is gonna adopt the Elder Scrolls model of sequels and just slowly build the lore of the souls universe from the bottom up.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:13 am

I always pictured Miyazaki as a stern looking old wrinkly kung-fu master type guy, with tiny squinted eyes and an impressive fu-man-chu. Turns out, he's just your typical looking young Japanese gamer. I'm a little disappointed.

I pictured him sitting on his desk cross legged, sipping sake and staring off into infinity, when one of his FROM minions walks in.
    "Mr. Miyazaki, my team feels that the overall difficulty of the Anor Londo stage needs to be toned down considerably, simply put, it is too hard to be fun!"

Miyazaki doesn't bat an eye or make any sign that he heard the young man whatsoever. The young developer becomes fidgety and impatient, until finally he tries again, "Mr. Miya-"

WHAM! A high speed sake cup careens into his skull and sends him stumbling backwards and out of the great masters den of solitude.
    sinspaw
    sinspaw
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinspaw Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Um...excuse me but, am I the only one who noticed the link to this?

31st of December? Or are they speculating perhaps?
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:12 am

sinspaw wrote:Um...excuse me but, am I the only one who noticed the link to this?

31st of December? Or are they speculating perhaps?

People say that's only a place holder date...I wouldn't be too mad with it being the actual release date though happy
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:24 am

Serious_Much wrote:I don't like that they've wholly gone back on the old no dlc stance, when i thought AotA should really have been a one off. Plus I don't like that when they seem to favour the odd DLC have decided no extra weapons would be added after it, makes little sense to me but i guess that's their call.

I think they mean that they won't just be adding weapon packs and such.
    sinspaw
    sinspaw
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinspaw Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:34 am

Yeah it's a placeholder, but now that I've thought about it there is no way it is true. If they are aiming to get it in time for christmas season, then it would be released before the 25th as that's when people would buy it the most. And also... I was pretty convinced they were making this for the new playstation. Which they might be. Too early to tell.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:41 am

sinspaw wrote:Yeah it's a placeholder, but now that I've thought about it there is no way it is true. If they are aiming to get it in time for christmas season, then it would be released before the 25th as that's when people would buy it the most. And also... I was pretty convinced they were making this for the new playstation. Which they might be. Too early to tell.

Well... I did see it on a list of games that are confirmed for the PS4 on another forum, but all the people on that forum were calling the list BS and I kind of agree with them.

Anyway, both the trailer and website are advertising it for PS3 and 360. No I dea why people think it'll be a next-gen game. :roll:
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:26 am

I think even if they do release it as a next gen game, it'll be like call of duty 3 was that the game was identical on both the ps2 and ps3 versions pretty much.

Though I wouldn't mind them making the release only ps3, ps4 and xbox (720), so the **** HD DVD balls doesn't effect the game like it presumably did last time.
    sinspaw
    sinspaw
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinspaw Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:
    sinspaw wrote:Yeah it's a placeholder, but now that I've thought about it there is no way it is true. If they are aiming to get it in time for christmas season, then it would be released before the 25th as that's when people would buy it the most. And also... I was pretty convinced they were making this for the new playstation. Which they might be. Too early to tell.

Well... I did see it on a list of games that are confirmed for the PS4 on another forum, but all the people on that forum were calling the list BS and I kind of agree with them.

Anyway, both the trailer and website are advertising it for PS3 and 360. No I dea why people think it'll be a next-gen game. :roll:

Sorry but... that argument is a bit frail. If, and I say if, they are doing it for the next gen then FROM would hardly put it on the trailer and/or the website before the console would be announced.

To me it makes sense that they make it next gen. They said they have built a new, better, engine. PS3 doesn't go that much further than what it is, especially because of the difficult memory architecture on it, which means 'new engines' on the ps3 are just allocating resources differently to make it look better but not actually being better per se. Wouldn't you rather they explored new ground than stay on hitting the ceiling of the ps3? I know I would!
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Ughhh... Dark Souls is hardly hitting the ceiling. Uncharted? Sure. But not dark Souls. If they didn't want to reveal the new systems, then they could have just left it blank. Advertising the game for systems it won't be on is... dumb.

Did we ever have memory problems with Dark Souls? Fallout and Skyrim did. Fallout wasn't even using their "new engine". I really don't think Dark Souls even comes close to pushing the system to it's limit.

All I know is that I want to get DKS2 on launch, the same isn't true for the PS4.
    sinspaw
    sinspaw
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sinspaw Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:06 pm

I have the feeling you are getting riled up for little reason, all we're doing here is speculate, as that is all we can do.

I personally don't think Uncharted is comparable to games in general. Uncharted is a ps3 franchise game, it's hardly surprising that franchise games hit the ceiling (like god of war also did with ps2). And also... do you not remember blight town? Memory or not, that was too much for it to handle. Can't say that didn't happen. Still, just because the game plays fine doesn't mean that it's not hitting said ceiling. If they go overboard on the engine improvements it might not play fine, thus it hits it. Just because a franchise game can push its limits doesn't mean the other companies can. Oh and that's not even mentioning that Dark Souls doesn't stop for loadings, and is semi-open world, whilst uncharted is fully loading section by section.

Furthermore, you are assuming that the choice of playstation version is mutualy exclusive when in the past it hasn't been.

Plus also consider this, why would you create a new enchine for a console generation that is outdated and going to be upgraded within the year? Granted it will take a while for people to buy it but... if you spend money, usually you spend it for the future. Consider as well a scenario where the new playstation comes in summer time this year, if DS2 is released well into 2014, that is plenty of time to make it new gen without fearing that people haven't been buying the new console yet. Again though, this is just me hypothesizing.

PS. As far as I'm concerned Bethesda can't be used to make an example of anything. They haven't made a new engine from scratch for more than a decade. It's just improvements on top of improvements on top of an old engine that has started to show it's frailty in the past 3 or 4 of their games.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm not riled up, but the PS4 coming out isn't really enough of a reason for people to think that all games in production right now will be next-gen. Especially when the game is being advertised for this gen consoles. Could they release it for both? Sure, but there's no evidence to suggest that that's what they're planning.

Edit: Anyway... here's the list of "confirmed" Ps4 games http://dailygamingnews1.blogspot.com/2013/02/updated-ps4-confirmed-games.html
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Those are just fragments of the other interviews, that I already posted in the main thread.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:16 pm