Is Subway false advertising?

    Share
    avatar
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1798
    Reputation : 61
    Join date : 2012-07-10

    Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by WandererReece on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:40 pm

    When they show pictures of their sandwhiches they have lots of meat. When you buy them they only have a sliver of meat.

    sandwhich in ad:
    real life sandwhich:

    Then when you make them add more meat, like what's in the picture, they charge you extra.

    This is false advertisment, right?


    _________________
    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:42 pm

    No, just don't eat there. It is way overpriced anyhow.
    avatar
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 6625
    Reputation : 232
    Join date : 2012-01-30
    Age : 26
    Location : International waters

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by Forum Pirate on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:52 pm

    No. They're not actually telling you that that is how much meat the sandwich has in it, nor telling you that the price of the sandwich they're showing is the same price as the sandwich they're naming. They're just letting people assume, and technically thats not their fualt.


    _________________
    Your rules are yours
    My honor is mine.
    Perspective is everything.
    We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    avatar
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5280
    Reputation : 123
    Join date : 2012-01-27
    Age : 34
    Location : New York

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by PlasticandRage on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:54 pm

    The sandwich in that first picture is actually most likely made of plastic. I worked there for awhile when I was in high school and they had a couple of them around for advertising purposes. None of the real food looks like that. Doesn't for any other fast food joint either really. Just look at like McDonald's. In the pictures all the food looks big and juicy, and like a real burger, but in real life it's a small slice of grade D meat, made by some idiot who can't figure out how to properly aim a piece of meat between two pieces of bread, so you get like half the burger hanging out of the side.


    Last edited by PlasticandRage on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    All great men have mustaches.

    TIGER UPPERCUT!

    PSN: PlasticAndRage
    avatar
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 25
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by Serious_Much on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:54 pm

    The difference is they fluff up the advertisement one.. Everyone does it..

    Well except maccies, they actually use their proper burgers for ads, just adding like drops of ketchup and charring the meat a bit..


    _________________
    PSN and other stuff:
    PSN: HolyPK9 "You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you"

    Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

    Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

    Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

    PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    avatar
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1445
    Reputation : 77
    Join date : 2012-06-26
    Location : Junkyard Porto-John

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by BIG TIME MASTER on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:02 pm

    PlasticandRage wrote:The sandwich in that first picture is actually most likely made of plastic. I worked there for awhile when I was in high school and they had a couple of them around for advertising purposes. None of the real food looks like that. Doesn't for any other fast food joint either really. Just look at like McDonald's. In the pictures all the food looks big and juicy, and like a real burger, but in real life it's a small slice of grade D meat, made by some idiot who can't figure out how to properly aim a piece of meat between two pieces of bread, so you get like half the burger hanging out of the side.


    This had me lol. I worked in a Wendys for a little bit during high school. The real issue is not of intelligence but motivation.

    One time I was bored during a morning shift before the store opened so a coworker and I dumped a bunch of peppermints into one of the greasy fryers, just to see what would happen. Being 17 or 18 at the time I never really thought of the consequences, but customers were complaining all day that the fries tasted like peppermint, and the manager never figured out why.
    avatar
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1307
    Reputation : 99
    Join date : 2012-02-21
    Location : Canada

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by Yukon on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:06 pm

    Maybe it just depends on where you go? I've had subway sandwiches that were difficult to hold because they was so much in the bun.... But I don't normally go cause their service is crappy and the servers come off as pushy and rude.
    Shrug


    _________________

    PSN: SgtPigeon
    Russian Roulette Duels Saturdays at 1PM - 7PM EST
    avatar
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

    Posts : 5280
    Reputation : 123
    Join date : 2012-01-27
    Age : 34
    Location : New York

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by PlasticandRage on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:06 pm

    BIG TIME MASTER wrote:
    PlasticandRage wrote:The sandwich in that
    first picture is actually most likely made of plastic. I worked there
    for awhile when I was in high school and they had a couple of them
    around for advertising purposes. None of the real food looks like that.
    Doesn't for any other fast food joint either really. Just look at like
    McDonald's. In the pictures all the food looks big and juicy, and like a
    real burger, but in real life it's a small slice of grade D meat, made
    by some idiot who can't figure out how to properly aim a piece of meat
    between two pieces of bread, so you get like half the burger hanging out
    of the side.


    This had me lol. I worked in a Wendys
    for a little bit during high school. The real issue is not of
    intelligence but motivation.

    One time I was bored during a
    morning shift before the store opened so a coworker and I dumped a bunch
    of peppermints into one of the greasy fryers, just to see what would
    happen. Being 17 or 18 at the time I never really thought of the
    consequences, but customers were complaining all day that the fries
    tasted like peppermint, and the manager never figured out why.

    When I worked at Subway, which was also a Taco Bell, we all had to wear those headsets in the kitchen, so that if somebody came through the drive-through we would all hear their order ahead of time, so we could get a jump on making it. So I used to take mine into the bathroom with me set to 'broadcast' mode all the time, like in the Naked the Gun. So all my co-workers as well as the people in the drive-through could hear me taking a leak. Of course I did it late at night when nobody in an authority position was around to yell at me for it. It was pretty funny though.

    And yeah, that's probably true. I hated that job. You treat somebody who works for you like crap, and they're only going to work just hard enough to not get fired.


    _________________
    All great men have mustaches.

    TIGER UPPERCUT!

    PSN: PlasticAndRage
    avatar
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1999
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : The nether regions

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by densetsushun on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:52 pm

    I've sworn off going to a place where one of the people profiting off it claims he only has a mere 400k to feed his family with after taxes.
    http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/09/19/322405/gop-rep-whines-400k/?mobile=wt


    _________________
    George Takei:
    Here's a little Internet tip: If you feel offended by something someone else posts, remember two simple rules:

    1) It's not about you.
    2) If you try to make it about you, you'll sound ridiculous.

    Steve Jobs:
    Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
    avatar
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1798
    Reputation : 61
    Join date : 2012-07-10

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by WandererReece on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:56 pm

    BIG TIME MASTER wrote:It is way overpriced anyhow.

    So true. 5 bucks for a footlong that barely has stuff in it. I can get double the food for just $3 more at other sub places.

    What I like to do is make my own. It's actually a lot cheaper and better than subway. It only cost $30 - $40 for me to make about 6 subs. That's $5 - $7 per sub, and they're at least twice as big as subway's.

    Also, I found an interesting artical on the web that made me laugh.

    http://subway-restaurants-reviews.measuredup.com/Complaint-Subway-false-advertising-49896
    Subway false advertising


    The advertised items on the wall in no way resemble the end result. I am disgusted with the false advertising. The poor quality service and the price. The Subway in Stavanger Norway is an insult to what is supposed to be one of the better sandwich shops. Sliced meat so thin you can see through it. A poor selection of toppings. Management with a take it or leave it attitude. Last time I went in there I asked for a sandwich. I then asked the person behind the counter to hold it up against the advert on the wall and asked him if what he had in his hand resembled in any way what was in the advert. He replied "no". Even their employee was embarassed.
    I want to go back to subway just to do this to them. lol!


    Last edited by WandererReece on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed hyperlink formatting)


    _________________
    avatar
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1999
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : The nether regions

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by densetsushun on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:02 pm

    WandererReece wrote:
    So true. 5 bucks for a footlong that barely has stuff in it. I can get double the food for just $3 more at other sub places.
    Speaking of footlongs, Subway's getting sued for their footlongs being slightly shorter than a foot silly

    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

    Posts : 3419
    Reputation : 175
    Join date : 2013-01-17

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by Animaaal on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:04 pm

    Yes. Is it prosecutable?...prolly not.

    My uncle once had a similar situation with his mail order bride. They took her back though.
    avatar
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1798
    Reputation : 61
    Join date : 2012-07-10

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by WandererReece on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:05 pm

    densetsushun wrote:Speaking of footlongs, Subway's getting sued for their footlongs being slightly shorter than a foot silly

    Yes, that's ridiculous. It's 11" not 12". I don't see why Subway is being sued over that. Did the people suing not learn about rounding in school?


    _________________
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 30
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by WyrmHero on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:23 pm

    I remember a tv program that explained how they (fast foods in general) made the burgers look with lots of meat etc. They're artificial, we'll never see a real burger with the same looks as a commercial burger. The closest and the most well done burger I think is the McDonald's Angus.

    @Big Time Where I live Subway has an offer of chicken subs for 2 bucks. It's funny because you see everyone ordering that because everything else is so expensive lol.


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1798
    Reputation : 61
    Join date : 2012-07-10

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by WandererReece on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:31 pm

    WyrmHero wrote:@Big Time Where I live Subway has an offer of chicken subs for 2 bucks. It's funny because you see everyone ordering that because everything else is so expensive lol.

    I saw that on TV too! My friend said, "Now they're going to skimp even more. LOL".


    _________________
    avatar
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

    Posts : 8742
    Reputation : 221
    Join date : 2012-02-16
    Age : 30
    Location : The Painted World

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by WyrmHero on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:00 pm

    LMAO


    _________________
    PSN: WyrmHero1945

    Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    avatar
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1999
    Reputation : 40
    Join date : 2012-12-29
    Location : The nether regions

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by densetsushun on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:40 pm

    Technically I think it is prosecutable, as it is named a footlong and they advertise it as such, since a foot is 12" they do need to offer 12" subs.


    _________________
    George Takei:
    Here's a little Internet tip: If you feel offended by something someone else posts, remember two simple rules:

    1) It's not about you.
    2) If you try to make it about you, you'll sound ridiculous.

    Steve Jobs:
    Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
    avatar
    KingSeekerCow
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 154
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2013-01-24
    Age : 26
    Location : California

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by KingSeekerCow on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:55 pm

    PlasticandRage wrote:
    BIG TIME MASTER wrote:
    PlasticandRage wrote:The sandwich in that
    first picture is actually most likely made of plastic. I worked there
    for awhile when I was in high school and they had a couple of them
    around for advertising purposes. None of the real food looks like that.
    Doesn't for any other fast food joint either really. Just look at like
    McDonald's. In the pictures all the food looks big and juicy, and like a
    real burger, but in real life it's a small slice of grade D meat, made
    by some idiot who can't figure out how to properly aim a piece of meat
    between two pieces of bread, so you get like half the burger hanging out
    of the side.


    This had me lol. I worked in a Wendys
    for a little bit during high school. The real issue is not of
    intelligence but motivation.

    One time I was bored during a
    morning shift before the store opened so a coworker and I dumped a bunch
    of peppermints into one of the greasy fryers, just to see what would
    happen. Being 17 or 18 at the time I never really thought of the
    consequences, but customers were complaining all day that the fries
    tasted like peppermint, and the manager never figured out why.

    When I worked at Subway, which was also a Taco Bell, we all had to wear those headsets in the kitchen, so that if somebody came through the drive-through we would all hear their order ahead of time, so we could get a jump on making it. So I used to take mine into the bathroom with me set to 'broadcast' mode all the time, like in the Naked the Gun. So all my co-workers as well as the people in the drive-through could hear me taking a leak. Of course I did it late at night when nobody in an authority position was around to yell at me for it. It was pretty funny though.

    And yeah, that's probably true. I hated that job. You treat somebody who works for you like crap, and they're only going to work just hard enough to not get fired.


    Reading your post made me burst out laughing. But what you said about the ending seems to be true in this day of society. People suspect to get everything for free or almost free then want 100% service even though you want to take a lunch. Most days it doesn't seem to phase me, because most days I just clock in and clock out.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Is Subway false advertising?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:41 pm