Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Forum Pirate
ComaPrison
dancash1808
FattyOfDoom
raecor14
ClassicBlaze
carlucio
ublug
eminusx
13 posters

Miyazaki & Shibuya Interview - Full Translation

eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Miyazaki & Shibuya Interview - Full Translation Empty Miyazaki & Shibuya Interview - Full Translation

Post by eminusx Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:45 pm

Chaps and Chapesses, a particularly kind soul named Zefah has translated the full interview with Shibuya and Miyazaki, see link:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505206

Apologies if the full translation appears elsewhere on the forum, I looked, alas, i found nothing. .

A few personal highlights:

4Gamer:
    Is there anything you are you focusing on in particular.

[i]Shibuya:
    It’s really hard for me to put it into words, but one aspect is the visual scene and atmosphere of each location. I really want to give those things more depth. Above all, what I want to do most is to incorporate a lot of “ideas that utilize the player’s attentiveness.

For example, if the player sees blood flowing towards them, they’ll think “what is this blood?” “Where is it coming from?” Situations like that. I want to create more situations that bring about doubt in the player—make them think “why?”—or give them a sense of foreboding death wherever they go. I want to focus on creating really elaborate environments that may look like nothing special at first, but may contain paths for players who are look closely enough.

Shibuya:
    In regards to the map, we plan on adhering to the style established in Dark Souls (where the world is split up into areas). We aren’t really considering making it more of an open-world style.

4Gamer:
    The focus is on quality over quantity, then?

Shibuya:
    That’s right. I think part of the allure is the “sense of adventure.” I really want to convey the feeling of advancing one step at a time and groping your way forward.

4Gamer:
    I feel like a creator’s perspective on things is often reflected in what they make.

Shibuya:
    To speak on that point, we had “feeling of loneliness” and “despair” as keywords for Dark Souls, and in the sequel I plan to add “sorrow” (note: “setsunai” is the word used in Japanese that can mean “sorrow,” “sadness,” “heartache,” or even “bittersweet,” etc. depending on the context) as one of the keywords.

4Gamer:
    I’m having trouble imagining what you mean.

Shibuya:
    For example, the kind of sorrow that is conveyed by the subtle scenery, or the sense of sorrow that that wells up after defeating something… That’s the kind of thing I want to include in the game.

4Gamer:
    Are you talking about how to create new experiences or stimulate new emotions?

Shibuya:
    That’s right. When playing Dark Souls, one of the experiences was to feel that sense of loneliness or despair.
    In Dark Souls II, those aspects will definitely be there, too, but if that’s all we had we wouldn’t be able to create new experiences. That’s why when we create Dark Souls II, it’s our job to figure out what kind of new experiences and emotions we can put into the game.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Miyazaki & Shibuya Interview - Full Translation Empty Re: Miyazaki & Shibuya Interview - Full Translation

Post by ublug Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:34 pm

It's posted somewhere in chizfreak's catchall thread, but theres probably no harm in giving it some more attention.
    carlucio
    carlucio
    Addicted
    Addicted

Miyazaki & Shibuya Interview - Full Translation Empty Re: Miyazaki & Shibuya Interview - Full Translation

Post by carlucio Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 pm

I have to say that i liked that interview and my hype has increased from negative to neutral.
    ClassicBlaze
    ClassicBlaze
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ClassicBlaze Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:07 am

carlucio wrote:I have to say that i liked that interview and my hype has increased from negative to neutral.

Same here, this is interview gave me something to hope for.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:19 am

im all for a good atmosphere, as long as the game still have some substance to it.
    eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by eminusx Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:48 am

ublug wrote:It's posted somewhere in chizfreak's catchall thread, but theres probably no harm in giving it some more attention.

Yeah I think the first third was posted up several weeks back but ive been waiting for the rest to be translated and hadnt seen it elsewhere. Cheers for the heads up.

The full article really gives you a better impression of Shibuya i think, I was quite sceptical about the changes when i first heard them, no Miyazaki etc but I have a great deal more confidence having read the full interview
    FattyOfDoom
    FattyOfDoom
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by FattyOfDoom Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:05 am

I think that by "Sorrow" he meant like what we felt when killing Sif sad
    eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by eminusx Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:26 am

Yeah thats what I thought too, if there's more of that kind of poignancy in there i'll be happy. Think they need to be careful not to over-do it and turn it into some melodrama but thankfully he seems to really understand the desolation and struggle of DS.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:45 am

Well I think he meant the kind of flavour that shadow of colossus gives to your victories. (and to a lesser extent monster hunter. which is is fortunate considering)
    Sort of a wooh I slew the giant creature of the mountain... who didnt want to fight me... and was minding its own buisness... and was kind of awe inspiring.... and trying to prevent the big evil escaping. Dammit.
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:51 am

I gots me a vicious boner from that interview when I first sawed it on Neogaffes. Vicious hype boner entering your ear holes.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:55 am

pfft, what has happened to the self appointed hype spoiler.
    were you not determined to be pessemistic?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:08 am

I'm skeptical. I'm always skeptical though, to be fair. Untill the game is in my console and I've got some time in, I will assume the worst and hope for the best. I'm not likely to be let down if my expectations are low.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:16 pm

My favorite line of the interview...
    4Gamer:
    You spoke about already having a large fan base, but how are
    you planning to adjust the difficult in Dark Souls II? To be honest, I can’t
    help but think that the needs of your existing fans and that of new players
    might be conflicting.

Shibuya:
    Just as you say, it’s a
    difficult proposition. That’s why we plan on making the early parts of the game
    comparatively less difficult to ease new players in, and then at a certain
    point, we’ll tell them “this is where the real game begins.”

Welcome to Dark Souls *****!!!

You will be seeing two words a LOT from here on out....

YOU DIED
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Phoenix Rising wrote:My favorite line of the interview...
    4Gamer:
    might be conflicting.

Shibuya:
    Just as you say, it’s a

YOU DIED

I hope they bring back the "True Dark Souls II starts here..." message.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:44 pm

ChizFreak wrote:
    Phoenix Rising wrote:My favorite line of the interview...
    4Gamer:
    might be conflicting.

Shibuya:
    Just as you say, it’s a

YOU DIED

Be wary of death...
    ComaPrison
    ComaPrison
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ComaPrison Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:14 am

dancash1808 wrote:pfft, what has happened to the self appointed hype spoiler.
    were you not determined to be pessemistic?

I just don't feel like it anymore.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:21 am

ChizFreak wrote:

You're just gonna be merrily strolling along, find a hint, read it, and it will read "prepare to die", you will think to yourself "what a strange thing to say", and then, then you shall learn.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Pfft, by the power of flip ring and SLB none shall stop me! quake in fear puny *splat* giants....
    ak1287
    Casual
    Casual

Post by ak1287 Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:I'm skeptical. I'm always skeptical though, to be fair. Untill the game is in my console and I've got some time in, I will assume the worst and hope for the best. I'm not likely to be let down if my expectations are low.

Yeah... That's also called 'setting yourself up for disappointment.'

I mean, since people generally don't want to be wrong, you've given yourself the perfect way to be right; no matter what, just say the game is crap.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:14 pm