Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Spurgun
Tolvo
RANT
ChizFreak
SATLOS
The Letter X
Seignar
BLA1NE
12 posters

Parry Bait!

TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Parry Bait! - Page 2 Empty Re: Parry Bait!

Post by TheMeInTeam Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:44 am

If people get too parry-happy it's time to whip out magic or great combustion, fish, etc.

Still, it's an amazing skill I aspire to use if I can ever figure out how to compensate for peoples' wooden modems.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:48 am

TheMeInTeam wrote:if I can ever figure out how to compensate for peoples' wooden modems.
    Parry exactly like you would in PvE, only about .5 seconds sooner. Figured out, have fun parrying!
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:50 am

I used to do this from time to time, but I just find the lag so annoying compared to parrying in PVE that I pretty much gave up in the end.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:19 pm

BLA1NE wrote:When you're not using a shield it's especially important to have poise. I find >53 is good enough, but as Artorias you only have 37. I definitely recommend the Wolf's Ring! Even if changing rings will bring you from fast rolling to med rolling, it'll be worth it, if you really want to parry. Otherwise I'd play it safe and only try to parry as a last resort when you're so vulnerable to getting stunlocked.

already ahead of you, i'm now level 112 and fast rolling with havel's and wolf rings on. even with 77 poise i get stunned frequently by two handed greatswords if i miss an attempted parry. which is more often than not.

btw the claymore breaks more poise than the abyss sword, i learned that the hard way trading blows with an invader. they were wearing kirks leggings and gauntlets with dingy set and wolf ring. i had full artorias and wolf ring. they staggered me in two hits with the claymore (2H R1) and i had already hit them three times (2H R1) with my abyss sword and still didn't stagger them. go figure.

anyway, it seems that you must need to have some sort of telepathy in order to parry, especially with lag. the only way to score a parry is to attempt a parry a fraction of a second before they even initiate their attack or you have to eat the first hit and try to parry the second (so far not so much luck with that, see above). so it always amazes me when i have my very first attack parried. Prostration
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:48 pm

To parry the first hit, I go either by proximity, or by pattern recognition. The very first hit of an encounter is usually the easiest to parry by proximity since your opponent won't be expecting it, and most people attack as soon as they're in range to do so--so you jut parry as soon as you're in range! It works fairly well after that too as long as your opponent doesn't catch on and delay his attacks. Easy way to test this is to let your opponent get close to you a few times then roll back--if he attacks every time, then you're set for parrying.

As for pattern recognition, look for rolling-R1s and running/backstepping-R1s especially, or any attack pattern your opponent likes to repeat. Some people love to keep using those and don't even think to throw empty rolls or backsteps in there occasionally. Those who do are the dangerous ones, since they'll bait you and backstab punish your missed parry.

But yeah, both take a little bit of telepathy!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm