Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Onion Knight
cloudyeki
Wade_Wilson
GkMrBane
bloodpixel
RANT
Deathsitexxi
FruitPunchNinja
12 posters

DmC demo(thoughts)

FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

DmC demo(thoughts)  Empty DmC demo(thoughts)

Post by FruitPunchNinja Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Ok, i know everyone and their dad hated the new dante design. Still, i thought the gameplay looked very good so i was curious about the demo. After playing it a couple times, i REALLY like it. It is an early demo, so i'm sure they've improved most of the minor flaws i noticed. The combat though....very good. I would go as far as to say it seems just as good if not better then the prior DMC games.

I don't hate the dante design as much as most people, but i don't love it. The art style besides that though i really like, it is a really cool take on the franchises normal castle/village scenery. Only thing i didn't love was the dialogue, which seemed intentionally over the top and corny(but just a bit too much swearing, and not well written).

That gameplay though....And how the closer to S rank you get the more the music kicks in, so bad ***. Oh, the music....Seems like it will be an amazing OST. I think you guys should all download the demo, it just came out yesterday.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

DmC demo(thoughts)  Empty Re: DmC demo(thoughts)

Post by Deathsitexxi Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:57 pm

Downloaded it and played it last night. I wasn't one of those people who freaked out when they showed the new Dante but at first I didn't really care for him. I will say after the playing the demo I'm pretty impressed. I disliked DMC 2 and I didn't care for 4, but this one seems to be heading in the right direction and the demo for sure talked me into buying it =) Did you see the Virgil preview video?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Dmc is supposed to be corny, its their thing. I've yet to play the demo but I have to like the character a lot to play a game like that and the new Dante looks really lame.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:10 pm

im not sure what you are referring to, so most likely no. I might have and forgot. i do seem to remember something about being able to unlock and play as virgil.

You thought that boss battle was awesome too right? I really liked it, at first before i noticed the other platforms im like holy crap this is hard(and i was only on demon hunter lol). Do you also have any idea what the copper keys are about, i looked everywhere my second time playing it.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Yea rant i know DMC usually has corny writing, but it is much better then this. That was my only real complaint, it isnt just corny it is just badly written. It really just consists of "*** you, no *** you....***"
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Son of Sparda mode <3

Wow, it is such a step up from Nephilim mode. I ended up dying to the first group of mobs. The enemies are not only harder to kill, but they add new(very powerful) enemies with special attacks. There is this shielded enemy right at the start of under watch, and it does this attack kind of like the obsidian greatswords AOE. It slams its sword into the ground and makes a large cricle of lava that damages you.

This game is going to be awesome. Can't wait to try the boss on son of sparda. I wonder if it has additional moves it does, im thinking it will. Maybe i will be able to find those copper keys now that i unlocked son of sparda mode.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:37 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:im not sure what you are referring to, so most likely no. I might have and forgot. i do seem to remember something about being able to unlock and play as virgil.

You thought that boss battle was awesome too right? I really liked it, at first before i noticed the other platforms im like holy crap this is hard(and i was only on demon hunter lol). Do you also have any idea what the copper keys are about, i looked everywhere my second time playing it.

I've got to replay it again tonight, my kids were giving me trouble and I wasn't able to really fully enjoy everything but the combat is where it's at I loved it! XD. Also, there is a video preview of Virgil as a playable character but..... it's going to be *Gasp* a DLfkingC *Cry* How dare you think it was going to be unlockable shame on you shame.. you must pay the price!
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:58 pm

LOL, yea should have known since it is capcom. Virgil looks a lot more like his old design, so that is cool.

This son of sparda mode is awesome, it is like night and day compared to nephilim. I was actually starting to think the game was a bit too easy compared to prior DMC games, but that is not the case. I think like 3, i might not even be able to beat this game on its hardest difficulty.

Oh and i found one of the copper keys, not sure if that was because i unlocked son of sparda or if i just happened to notice it on my 3rd time through. I'm thinking they were always there, very cleverly hidden. Especially since the demo is pretty linear.

I'm glad you liked it too, hope you get to really enjoy it to its fullest when you get some time to yourself to check it out.
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:59 pm

I don't like it. Crappy music and horrible characters aside, the gameplay felt choppy, the boss was boring, the platforming is tedious and the controls are hilariously bad. It's not even that hard.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:04 pm

I kinda felt like it destroying Devil may cry roots and not really adding to it.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:20 pm

The new dante is a shame and disgrace, the gameplay is a hollow shell of its former glory, the story is cliche'd garbage, the developers are pretentious ***, and worse of all is that casuals will eat this up. RIP Devil May Cry, you had a good run but it wasn't meant to be.

Also, Donte is a edgy "fuk da system XDDD WE ARE TEH 99%" f*ggot and anyone who likes him should quit playing video games, forever.

Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:22 pm

And if you think I'm just being mad, I'll happily argue why Donte May Cry is such a terrible game.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Wade_Wilson wrote:The new dante is a shame and disgrace, the gameplay is a hollow shell of its former glory, the story is cliche'd garbage, the developers are pretentious ***, and worse of all is that casuals will eat this up. RIP Devil May Cry, you had a good run but it wasn't meant to be.

Also, Donte is a edgy "fuk da system XDDD WE ARE TEH 99%" f*ggot and anyone who likes him should quit playing video games, forever.

While I don't agree with some of what you say I love the post lol XD. It's true that none of the Devil May Cry games have captured the same magic as the very first one... That's because of who created it in the first place... I'm also a lover of most 3rd person action games (even though for some reason I stayed away from God of War after the 2nd one). From the small time I played the demo I was pretty impressed with the direction they took it. That's not saying the game will be GOTY awesome but I do think it has some potental. I've also played the Revengance demo and enjoyed it as well =)
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:51 pm

List of reasons why DMC sucks:

>Donte is an edgy anti Government ***
    >Nowhere near as cool as Dante
    >Story is tryhard and cliche'd: the mega tweest is spoiled in the goddamn achievement list
    >Using "The Order" to appeal to those who actually think Anonymous do anything
    >Combat has been simplified to hell and back - Instead of styles there's two modes, copied straight from a previous crappy Ninja Theory game, Heavenly sword
    >Nowhere near the amount of insanity and enemies on screen as pevious games
    >30 GODDAMN FPS WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA FOR A DEVIL MAY CRY JESUS H CHRIST
    >Tameem based the design of Donte off himself, which means he's a scumbag who think's he can honestly be compared to Dante by mary suing himself into the game
    >The humour from previous games is gone, instead replaced with edgy "F*CK YOU" nonsense to appeal to teens and casuals
    >Bosses are stupid and are way too easy - 2 SECOND PARRY WINDOW
    >YOU CAN SPAM THE ONE MOVE AND GET SSS RANK
    >Pre-order and day one DLC bullcrap
    >Vergil now wears a fedora and uses guns
    >Donte has to rescue le lady friend and Vorgul will not halp, ORIGINAL PLOT DONUT STEEL PLZ

And worst of all:
    >Thanks to this DISGRACE OF A GAME AND AN INSULT TO THE SERIES, we won't get another proper Devil May Cry ever again

EDIT: If you're going to refute these points, you can't use the argument "But it's fun!"
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Wade_Wilson wrote:List of reasons why DMC sucks:

>Donte is an edgy anti Government ***
    >Nowhere near as cool as Dante
    >Story is tryhard and cliche'd: the mega tweest is spoiled in the goddamn achievement list
    >Using "The Order" to appeal to those who actually think Anonymous do anything
    >Combat has been simplified to hell and back - Instead of styles there's two modes, copied straight from a previous crappy Ninja Theory game, Heavenly sword
    >Nowhere near the amount of insanity and enemies on screen as pevious games
    >30 GODDAMN FPS WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA FOR A DEVIL MAY CRY JESUS H CHRIST
    >Tameem based the design of Donte off himself, which means he's a scumbag who think's he can honestly be compared to Dante by mary suing himself into the game
    >The humour from previous games is gone, instead replaced with edgy "F*CK YOU" nonsense to appeal to teens and casuals
    >Bosses are stupid and are way too easy - 2 SECOND PARRY WINDOW
    >YOU CAN SPAM THE ONE MOVE AND GET SSS RANK
    >Pre-order and day one DLC bullcrap
    >Vergil now wears a fedora and uses guns
    >Donte has to rescue le lady friend and Vorgul will not halp, ORIGINAL PLOT DONUT STEEL PLZ

And worst of all:
    >Thanks to this DISGRACE OF A GAME AND AN INSULT TO THE SERIES, we won't get another proper Devil May Cry ever again

EDIT: If you're going to refute these points, you can't use the argument "But it's fun!"

I can't find anything I disagree with in what you're saying.. That's list just reminds me of the dangers of trying to appeal to the masses lol. I'll give the full game a shot and I'll also crank up the diffculty to see if it helps. I will say that it's got to be better than what Ninja Gaiden 3 was... and I played through and beat that peice of garbage game lol. As far as the fedora and the entire design direction trying to be "edgy" I do agree that is completely annoying (saw the fox news parady crap they put in and let out a deep *sigh*). I'm pretty good at tuning things out though =) Got that as a gift from my children lolAlso, day 1 DLC really shouldn't happen either it's just wrong... Games are 59.99 and then they release DLC that's 10-15 dollars more in the first week...

I will say that if I didn't relate it to DMC period and compare it to the other 3rd person action games that have come out lately.. it has a chance to be decent =) I will say Revengance is looking quite nice as well... It however seems like it's combat will be a bit deeper..

I think another reason your posts make me laugh so much (other than the forceful true in them) is because I hear them in my head in the voice of Deadpool and visualize them coming out of Ryan Reynolds mouth...XD
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:45 am

wade....You clearly like the old dante, as do i. Still a lot of your "points" are false.

-You can not spam the same move and get S rank
    -Maybe you're right, but where did you see vergil use a gun? I saw the video introducing him as a playable character and he does not use a gun.
    -You're judging the bosses difficult by 1 demo(which if you actually played, would know is not the full boss fight)
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:47 am

Playing the demo now. List of things that bugs me so far:

1) shaky cam
    2) Angel and half angel BS
    3) weapon changing feels awkward
    4) the l2 r2 focus bugs me
    5) the input for attacks. Why do I need to use O just for high time and helm breaker?!?!
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:50 am

I love these forced complaints, just add "i hate the new dante" after all of them happy

Cloud, you can customize your controls btw.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:08 am

You don't think I've tried? My point about the weapon switching is that when I click l2 or r2 for a different weapon, I don't want to go back to the default sword as soon as I let go. And the fact that there's a "special melee attack" button. Why can't I just use the old input for high time and helm breaker?!?!?!? Back+triangle and forward+triangle in air!

If they had used the old input style they would have freed up the circle button, which they could have used for the *** grapples, and I wouldn't be fumbling between the axe when I wanted the *** scythe and I wouldn't have to worry about flubbing the air brawl challenge.

Edit: as for new Dante. I don't really mind him, as long as he comes off as a lil cheesy when he isn't serious, but gets **** done when he is. I also kinda like the new jacket (his coat in 3 is still the best), and I'm glad they did a 2nd edit after the initial reveal to make him a lil closer to his appearance in 3.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:34 am

I actually really like the default controls, i thought they were rather intuitive. I also like that they basically gave dante neros grapple, except slightly different. They are obviously going for something different, although they have kept a lot of the beloved mechanics. It's just not exactly the same. If you play son of sparda mode, you'll see how important the two weapons become towards certain enemies(some wont take damage from anything but angel/demon).

It's been quite a while since ive played 3, and 4 was just ok. So i'm not still like used to the old controls or anything. To me this seems like a high quality hack and slash, whether it is a DMC game or not. Personally i actually like Bayonetta just as much as i like DMC3, so yea. I know a good hack and slash game when i play it, and this looks promising. You got admit most people who are complaining just dislike the new dante, plain and simple. I can't wait for this though, having this and Metal Gear:Rising is going to be crazy. Two great hack and slash games coming out right near each other. I wonder which i will end up liking more....Platinum games is extremely good at making hack and slash(if you havent played bayonetta).
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:01 am

Fruit, I don't mind new Dante at all. What I do mind is the fact that I have to hold down r2 to use a blasted axe instead of tapping r2 and l2 to switch between all 3. As well as the fact that they dedicated a button for moves I used regularly from 3 & 4.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:19 am

FruitPunchNinja wrote:I love these forced complaints, just add "i hate the new dante" after all of them happy

Cloud, you can customize your controls btw.

Nice dismissal of all the arguments as to why this game is bad. Please, justify 30FPS and simplified babby combat in a Devil May Cry game. Take your time.

FruitPunchNinja wrote:wade....You clearly like the old dante, as do i. Still a lot of your "points" are false.

-You can not spam the same move and get S rank
    -Maybe you're right, but where did you see vergil use a gun? I saw the video introducing him as a playable character and he does not use a gun.
    -You're judging the bosses difficult by 1 demo(which if you actually played, would know is not the full boss fight)

-But you completely can. I've seen the video/gif of the guy spamming the Axe 5 times to get SSS
    -It was in one of the trailers
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:39 am

Look Skyward wade, you haven't even played it have you?

Also this is a pretty old demo, they have had so much fan feedback since then. Which is what i dislike about demos, when they release these old demos near the launch of a game it can confuse players.

I watched every trailer i could find, couldn't find Vergil using a gun. The only thing i really agree with you on is that the dialogue(from what we've seen) is horrible. And that old dante was cooler. That is about it. You're clearly determined to hate the game, no point in trying to convince you to give it a chance i guess.

Last edited by FruitPunchNinja on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Oh, cloud. I really wasn't aiming the forced complaints at you btw winking. Your point about the camera was actually acknowledged, and apparently fixed now(why they release such old demos is beyond me).

The controls, i think you might get used to them. I think it is because i was playing Bayonetta so much recently,and the fact they are fairly similar, that i liked them. But, the reason why i think this new control scheme is needed is because there's moments(even in the demo) where you will have two(or more) very difficult enemies at once that can only take damage from either the scythe or the axe. So being able to switch between them extremely fast is kind of needed, especially on SOS mode. Cause in previous DMC games i don't recall many/any instances where you were forced to use a certain weapon to do damage to an enemy, so switching so quickly was not needed. Maybe i'm wrong about that, it has been a while. I do feel this scheme is quicker, although arguably awkward if you are used to the old scheme.

Last edited by FruitPunchNinja on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:38 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote: Look Skyward wade, you haven't even played it have you?

Also this is a pretty old demo, they have had so much fan feedback since then. Which is what i dislike about demos, when they release these old demos near the launch of a game it can confuse players.

I watched every trailer i could find, couldn't find Vergil using a gun. The only thing i really agree with you on is that the dialogue(from what we've seen) is horrible. And that old dante was cooler. That is about it. You're clearly determined to hate the game, no point in trying to convince you to give it a chance i guess.

Why would I play it? I don't need to eat sh*t to know its ****. The fact is that you've refused to acknowledge even the basic things like combat being worse. Have YOU played the demo? Or even any other Devil May Crys? Because if you had you would be agreeing with me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:29 pm