The Build Doctor

    Share
    avatar
    Eisen
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 38
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-11-05

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Eisen on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:03 pm

    Making a faith caster-ish build. Any help?
    Here's what I have so far: http://mmdks.com/2n46
    Need help mainly with armor choice and I DON'T want to use Hollow Whoever's whatever.
    avatar
    HereticForLife
    Casual
    Casual

    Posts : 61
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2013-05-23
    Age : 23
    Location : On my bed, covered in bitches

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by HereticForLife on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:51 pm

    http://mmdks.com/2n5z

    Thoughts on my darkmoon? Going for fast casting and high damage on Dark Magic, with wolf ring and armor to out-poise melee fighters and either black flame or dark bead them to death from close range. That is, if they dodge the pursuers.


    _________________
    avatar
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 581
    Reputation : 20
    Join date : 2012-12-08
    Location : Anatolia, Land of the Rising Sun

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Djem on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:57 am

    I want opinions on these two builds:

    Ornstein:
    http://mmdks.com/2rpc

    Artorias:
    http://mmdks.com/2rns

    I actually discovered that Deprived class is good for something while making the Artorias build.
    avatar
    MegaBoosher

    Posts : 4
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2012-09-20
    Age : 25
    Location : Michigan

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by MegaBoosher on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:39 am

    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=244197913211370297 Not sure if we're still doctoring builds but kinda feeling like this build is lacking somehow
    avatar
    Knarf23
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 17
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-03
    Location : Florida

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Knarf23 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:52 am

    MegaBoosher wrote:http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=244197913211370297 Not sure if we're still doctoring builds but kinda feeling like this build is lacking somehow

    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=150634995396672275

    Fixed it up a bit for you. With the new armor set up you'll have:
    -more poise (33>31)
    -better defense (337>304)
    -more equip load left (7.4 weight left>4.6 weight left)

    Then I replaced heater shield for grass crest for the stamina boost, and replaced the short bow with the composite bow (more damage). Plus you'll still have 1.9 weight left so you could replace the rapier with an estoc, falchion, shotel, etc.


    _________________
    PSN: knarf_23

    Animastryfe

    Posts : 3
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-09

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Animastryfe on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:36 am

    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=195992024601489169

    I am fairly satisfied with this build, although this is my first time playing Dark Souls and I have yet to beat the game. However, I think I would like this build's playstyle. It seems to be a fairly typical dexterity/intelligence build with CMW, and I used the armor optimizer. However, I have a few questions regarding equipment:
    1. I chose my equipment to have at least 53 poise; is this the commonly accepted poise breakpoint?
    2. In order to get 53 poise, I used Havel's Ring. I could also have used, say, the Wolf Ring, but according to the armor optimizer I would stand to gain in defenses if I were to use Havel's Ring. 
    3. How important is physical or magical defense?
    4. How important is it to be under 25% equip load and have fast roll?
    5. The point of these questions: the armor optimizer says that the Hollow Soldier Waistcloth is the only choice for leg armor if I want 53 poise and want to maximize my physical defense. I dislike the look of the Waistcloth, so I'm hoping that I can find some way to use another leg armor.

    Thank you.
    avatar
    Knarf23
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 17
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-03
    Location : Florida

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Knarf23 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:54 am

    Animastryfe wrote:http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=195992024601489169

    I am fairly satisfied with this build, although this is my first time playing Dark Souls and I have yet to beat the game. However, I think I would like this build's playstyle. It seems to be a fairly typical dexterity/intelligence build with CMW, and I used the armor optimizer. However, I have a few questions regarding equipment:
    1. I chose my equipment to have at least 53 poise; is this the commonly accepted poise breakpoint?
    2. In order to get 53 poise, I used Havel's Ring. I could also have used, say, the Wolf Ring, but according to the armor optimizer I would stand to gain in defenses if I were to use Havel's Ring. 
    3. How important is physical or magical defense?
    4. How important is it to be under 25% equip load and have fast roll?
    5. The point of these questions: the armor optimizer says that the Hollow Soldier Waistcloth is the only choice for leg armor if I want 53 poise and want to maximize my physical defense. I dislike the look of the Waistcloth, so I'm hoping that I can find some way to use another leg armor.

    Thank you.

    There are definitely more ways for you to acquire 53 poise without the waistcloth. With that current set your defense is as high as it could be, but if you'd like to sacrifice a bit of defense for looks I'd say go for it. 53 poise is the usual poise breakpoint PVPers aim for while still being able to fast roll. 

    Physical defense is not really as important as your dodging/ blocking abilities. A strong defense alone will not get you wins in PVP. It is more important to know how to avoid getting hit as much than tanking hits with high defense. The usual physical defense rating for PVPers around SL 120 would be around 310-340ish, and honestly I never even bother looking at magic defense. Just dodge that crap.

    It is EXTREMELY important to fast roll in sl 120 pvp, especially with a build that uses a quick weapon like a katana. You will really be at a disadvantage midrolling. 

    Hope I helped a bit. If you'd like some cool looking 53 poise armor advice here are my favorites: 
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=323069730157873024
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=363505991784278981
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=476229348567077073

    (Pretty much eastern leggings+iron bracelets+wolf ring =53 poise, then just mix and match your choice of helmet and chest)


    _________________
    PSN: knarf_23

    Animastryfe

    Posts : 3
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-09

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Animastryfe on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:33 pm

    Thank you for the advice. I did not expect a reply so quickly. So your philosophy is to get to 53 poise, and then not worry about physical defense as long as it is in the 310-340 range, correct? Does this apply to other armor statistics as well, such as fire defense? I have not been able to find equations or detailed information on how these defense statistics work; how much difference is there between, say, 340 and 390 physical defense at SL 120?

    If my interpretation of your advice is correct, then using the wolf ring and two or so armor pieces with high poise to mass ratios would allow me the most flexibility in choosing armor for their looks, correct?
    avatar
    Knarf23
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 17
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-03
    Location : Florida

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Knarf23 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:03 pm

    Animastryfe wrote:Thank you for the advice. I did not expect a reply so quickly. So your philosophy is to get to 53 poise, and then not worry about physical defense as long as it is in the 310-340 range, correct? Does this apply to other armor statistics as well, such as fire defense? I have not been able to find equations or detailed information on how these defense statistics work; how much difference is there between, say, 340 and 390 physical defense at SL 120?

    If my interpretation of your advice is correct, then using the wolf ring and two or so armor pieces with high poise to mass ratios would allow me the most flexibility in choosing armor for their looks, correct?
    Pretty much yes, poise is definitely more important than defense in PVP. Thats the first thing you should look at. Then when you've found a set up you like that has the amount of poise you're looking for (53 is recommended, to not be stunlocked by a two handed greatsword, curved greatswords, hammers, and axes. The next poise breakpoint is 76 and thats for ultra greatswords but it is better to just dodge those rather than sacrifice stats to get 76 poise).

    I say 310-340ish defense is fine because thats what most PVPers that fast roll at SL 120 have. There may be some with upwards of that but they had to sacrifice a lot of endurance to wear heavier armor that has higher defense. Honestly the only defense you should bother looking at is physical, not magic or fire or lightning because in PVP you're going to be getting hit with physical mostly. Magic spells are incredibly easy to dodge as well as pyromancy. My tip against magic buff users are to wait the buff out as they don't last that long and if you see a catalyst/pyro glove equipped just be cautious. 

    You are correct about using the wolf ring over havel's if you are looking to have more flexibility in armor while still being able to have 53 poise. With the wolf rig all you gotta do is toss on 13 poise worth of armor however way you'd like and find pleasing, while with Havel's you must find a way to get 53 poise worth of armor while still being able to fast roll. 

    Hope this helped.


    _________________
    PSN: knarf_23

    Animastryfe

    Posts : 3
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-09

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Animastryfe on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:27 pm

    Thank you, this has been very helpful. I also found this thread on armor combinations that reach specific poise values, which coupled with your advice will help me a lot.
    avatar
    Knarf23
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 17
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-03
    Location : Florida

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Knarf23 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:42 pm

    Animastryfe wrote:Thank you, this has been very helpful. I also found this thread on armor combinations that reach specific poise values, which coupled with your advice will help me a lot.
    Nice, glad I was able to help. happy Anymore questions just ask.


    _________________
    PSN: knarf_23
    avatar
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 347
    Reputation : 20
    Join date : 2013-01-15

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by xenon_nobelium on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:27 pm

    @animastryfe: http://mmdks.com/32xp took your concept and made him god! 145stamina is still manageable; hp a bit on the low side but the minimum is reached. lvl100 because it can be done on this lvl^^
    now to the good stuff: 45dex=fastest cast time; tin cataclyst @ 32int/40dex gives a dmg boost to dark magic; great scythe= one of the best and hardest hitting (dex) weapons in the game; 56poise lets you tank a running greatsword 2hR1; thorn gauntlets help you escape tight situations.


    _________________
    Build Archive
    avatar
    Knarf23
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 17
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-03
    Location : Florida

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Knarf23 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:47 pm

    xenon_nobelium wrote:@animastryfe: http://mmdks.com/32xp took your concept and made him god! 145stamina is still manageable; hp a bit on the low side but the minimum is reached. lvl100 because it can be done on this lvl^^
    now to the good stuff: 45dex=fastest cast time; tin cataclyst @ 32int/40dex gives a dmg boost to dark magic; great scythe= one of the best and hardest hitting (dex) weapons in the game; 56poise lets you tank a running greatsword 2hR1; thorn gauntlets help you escape tight situations.

    Not bad, but I see you placed the tin banishment catalyst instead of tin crystallization catalyst (probably an error). The defense overall is not too great either, plus he wanted the build to be 120, not 100. I remade it a bit to sl 120 based on what you revised yourself (45 dex, g. scythe, thorn gauntlets, dusk crown) plus I left the pyro glove as it seemed he wanted to use pyromancy in his original build


    _________________
    PSN: knarf_23

    correojon

    Posts : 12
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-05

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by correojon on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:20 pm

    avatar
    Knarf23
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 17
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-03
    Location : Florida

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Knarf23 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:32 pm

    I recommend not using an elemental weapon for SL 100 PVP, if you up your strength to 40 and use a +15 man serpent greatsword you will gain A LOT more damage out of the sword. I would also lower the endurance down to 40 and throw on some lighter armor with wolf ring to get 56 poise. Seeing as you chose the Lord Blade Chest in your build I left it and added some different gear to get your poise to 56. Trust me going 40 strength and a +15 MSGS will be a huge benefit over a chaos weapon. 
    Here you go: 
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=418368915240670926


    _________________
    PSN: knarf_23

    correojon

    Posts : 12
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-05

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by correojon on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:36 pm

    Knarf23 wrote:
    I recommend not using an elemental weapon for SL 100 PVP, if you up your strength to 40 and use a +15 man serpent greatsword you will gain A LOT more damage out of the sword. I would also lower the endurance down to 40 and throw on some lighter armor with wolf ring to get 56 poise. Seeing as you chose the Lord Blade Chest in your build I left it and added some different gear to get your poise to 56. Trust me going 40 strength and a +15 MSGS will be a huge benefit over a chaos weapon. 
    Here you go: 
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=418368915240670926

     That looks great, thank you!
    avatar
    Knarf23
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 17
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-03
    Location : Florida

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Knarf23 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:39 pm

    correojon wrote:
    Knarf23 wrote:
    I recommend not using an elemental weapon for SL 100 PVP, if you up your strength to 40 and use a +15 man serpent greatsword you will gain A LOT more damage out of the sword. I would also lower the endurance down to 40 and throw on some lighter armor with wolf ring to get 56 poise. Seeing as you chose the Lord Blade Chest in your build I left it and added some different gear to get your poise to 56. Trust me going 40 strength and a +15 MSGS will be a huge benefit over a chaos weapon. 
    Here you go: 
    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=418368915240670926

     That looks great, thank you!
    No problem. Praise the Sun


    _________________
    PSN: knarf_23
    avatar
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 347
    Reputation : 20
    Join date : 2013-01-15

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by xenon_nobelium on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:01 pm

    @knarf: dark magic gets a phys dmg increase from the physical dmg a cataclyst does if the scaling is high enough. basically (for dark magic): best cat. @40+dex that doesn't halve your castings = tin banishment. iirc it even outperforms logans @40+ int (still only for dark magic and with 40dex).

    @correojon: http://mmdks.com/1x5y my man serpent loadout with my str build. the main thing this weapon has going for it is its minimal stat investment for max. scaling, going +15 is mandatory!
    avatar
    Knarf23
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 17
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-03
    Location : Florida

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Knarf23 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 pm

    xenon_nobelium wrote:@knarf: dark magic gets a phys dmg increase from the physical dmg a cataclyst does if the scaling is high enough. basically (for dark magic): best cat. @40+dex that doesn't halve your castings = tin banishment. iirc it even outperforms logans @40+ int (still only for dark magic and with 40dex).

     Oh really? Wow did not know this, I knew manus catalyst gave it a nice boost but never knew it was because of physical damage rating. Nice to know. happy


    _________________
    PSN: knarf_23
    avatar
    magyaronny
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 21
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-07-09

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by magyaronny on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 am

    Edit nvm: i had a megapyro left and made this instead.

    SebaSturm

    Posts : 1
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-08-03

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by SebaSturm on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:44 pm

    Desired Soul Level:125
    Str or Dex:Dex
    Favor Dmg, Vit, or End:Dmg
    How you will use the build:Trying to parry, using roll and normal bs, lock off fighting and normal rolling attacks
    Other info you find useful:Of course fast roll is a must; a little more magic defense would be graet, too
    Faith/Int?: Both
    avatar
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 347
    Reputation : 20
    Join date : 2013-01-15

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by xenon_nobelium on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:53 pm

    http://mmdks.com/3fpv dex; highest dmg dex weapons (+ good bleed synergy), great scythe fitting exactly your described playstyle; fth for even more dmg(buff) and magic protection...and only lvl100 as a further bonus

    HREParabola

    Posts : 1
    Reputation : 0
    Join date : 2013-08-07

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by HREParabola on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:01 am

    Desired Soul Level: 100
    Str or Dex: dex
    Favor Dmg, Vit, or End: Dmg
    Other info you find useful: I want to use the Balderside sword with the dark spells.
    avatar
    xenon_nobelium
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 347
    Reputation : 20
    Join date : 2013-01-15

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by xenon_nobelium on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:25 am

    http://mmdks.com/3dgq i just remade my dex dark mage, this build is a beast, you can optimize armor for better def, more magic dmg. and lower weight and fit a bow on there: http://mmdks.com/3hty something like this, but i like the cosplay aspect. the tin cataclys choice is explained a few posts above ^


    _________________
    Build Archive
    avatar
    SageOfToads123
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 21
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2013-08-09

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by SageOfToads123 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:27 pm

    http ://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=126271502762882822 (Remove the space)








    I'll give this a try. Amuse me.

     

    Sponsored content

    Re: The Build Doctor

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:33 am