Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Myztyrio
Wisp
XuitusTheGreat
TehInfamousAmos
reim0027
Red Rosie
Rynn
callipygias
kazumoshi
DJXXII
Glutebrah
RagingPanic
Forum Pirate
Ghadis_God
Jansports
WyrmHero
Siegfried.
RANT
22 posters

str builds are now popular? HOW?

Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

str builds are now popular? HOW? - Page 2 Empty Re: str builds are now popular? HOW?

Post by Jansports Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:31 am

I agree on the MSGS being the best STR scaling greatsword. It's no Claymore and it's not the Moonlight (flagship)

Large Club has quite possibly the best performance for the investment you make (heck even a qualty builds 27/28 str is enough to make it work with the 2h rolling)

The BKGA is very very straightforward but it's popular for a reason.

Dragon GreatAxe is riskier but also more rewarding than BKGA.

I'd ignore the rest honestly.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

str builds are now popular? HOW? - Page 2 Empty Re: str builds are now popular? HOW?

Post by Rynn Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:39 am

The Greatsword is also a very good greatsword. The difference in damage type from the Zwei makes it worth the 2 pound investment.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:40 am

I've tried so hard to hit people with the Greatsword's awesome looking R2. It just seems to never work out. I'm just not Tarkus enough
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:44 am

I hit people with it all the time.... EPIC damage.
    Red Rosie
    Red Rosie
    Chat Moderator

Post by Red Rosie Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:19 am

Im starting to like STR weapons now too, they make a great change from the typical flippy katana / Balder sword / pyro builds.

Much harder to use I think but so worth it when you land an attack like the uppercut on the black knight greatsword happy
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:13 am

The bk ugs is one of my favorite weapons in the game. Landing that r2 feels so satisfying and you gotta love that reach.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:35 pm

After Rose's video, I might give that weapon a try.
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:19 pm

Rynn wrote:The Greatsword is also a very good greatsword. The difference in damage type from the Zwei makes it worth the 2 pound investment.

I prefer the zweihander, because you can get the thrust out of the roll animation. If you fast roll with the zwei, you can very easy get stupidly quick thrusts out of it while avoiding damage at the same time. Same damage, lower requirements, lower weight -- it's all fun in the sun with the zwei.

Mind you, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the greatsword's heavy attack. So there's that.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:20 pm

I am currently running the mace and large club happy Pretty nice combo
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Siegfried. wrote:
    Rynn wrote:The Greatsword is also a very good greatsword. The difference in damage type from the Zwei makes it worth the 2 pound investment.

I prefer the zweihander, because you can get the thrust out of the roll animation. If you fast roll with the zwei, you can very easy get stupidly quick thrusts out of it while avoiding damage at the same time. Same damage, lower requirements, lower weight -- it's all fun in the sun with the zwei.

Mind you, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the greatsword's heavy attack. So there's that.
    You get the same thrust with the greatsword, and the attack becomes a far superior thrust damage.

I've also had no problem hitting with that heavy attack.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:59 pm

The only reason we don't see the Greatsword as much is because it takes 4 more Str than the Zwei to wield 1h and that takes away from a min/maxer's HP gouge. I only ever see UGS' being made into elementals.
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:03 pm

That additional 4 strength also just breaches the quality build rule of 27 strength for those of us that enjoy two-handing.

Besides, the zwei looks cooler so nyah. :p
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Is it me or the zwei's r2 is faster than th greatsword's? I fin the r2 on the zwei easier to land than the gs but with enough practice you can land both on a constant basis.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Also Zweih is the longest UGS, and the Greatsword is short. The thrust R2 of the Greatsword, although slow, is the best R2 of all the UGS in my opinion. Like a super BSS thrust.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:20 pm

The Zwei's is faster and has better range, it's just easy to roll bs. Better to surprise your opponent with it. And Siegfried, I prefer the Greatsword's looks. Not that the Zwei doesn't look cool, but my mind associates it with Giants and Havels, and a mask. The Greatsword looks like a mean, no-frills weapon, like its original wielder, Tarkus.
    XuitusTheGreat
    XuitusTheGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XuitusTheGreat Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:08 pm

I recently fell in love with the great demon machete for dead angling
    back stabbers, I cant tell you how many parry spammers/ bs fishers Ive
    simple outright nailed in the face with it since I started using it a
    week or so ago, and I can even fast roll if I want with it

http://tinyurl.com/99stvp2

I personally prefer mid-roll more though

http://tinyurl.com/8f5cmfo

dont get me wrong dex builds are strong, allow for bleed+fast
    roll+flexibility, some of the strongest pvp weapons in the game are dex
    weapons like the chaos blade, most spears, crit daggers, etc. However,
    when a STR weapon is used right the punishment from it is huge. My parry
    1 shots pretty much anyone unless they pack a ton of vit. Personally my
    favorite weapons is the mlgs, not for its stun lock which will soon be
    nerfed, but its flexibility in a fight, but its technically a INT so not
    100% relevant despite its class. Another favorite is the Demon's Great axe, its another punishment weapon that, like the demon machete, has a deceptive R2, long wind up but movable direction if unlocked happy I think STR weapons may be on the rise cause people are realizing that if you take the time to learn the timing, move set, etc they are insanely powerful happy
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Doesn't the zewih deal thrust damage with its roll r1s if its not elemental?

The zewihander is the best ug weapon in my oppinion, followed by the large/great club.

The zweih does have somewhat subpar damage, its ar at 40/40 being 621 compared to the dgms 655 at 40 str, but it has the longest range, is the lightest and has a hugely versatile moveset considering the size of the weapon.

sorry, but the dgms braver attack (the r2) is just begging to be bs'd or parried. A kat could roll in, hit you, and roll out before that attack lands. Its absolutely terrible, even as a wakeup attack its to slow to hit any but the least attentive.
    Wisp
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Wisp Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:04 pm

http://tinyurl.com/8uxsde8

DOOOM
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:14 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:The Zwei's is faster and has better range, it's just easy to roll bs. Better to surprise your opponent with it. And Siegfried, I prefer the Greatsword's looks. Not that the Zwei doesn't look cool, but my mind associates it with Giants and Havels, and a mask. The Greatsword looks like a mean, no-frills weapon, like its original wielder, Tarkus.

I was being facetious, given how subjective looks are.

I prefer the zweihander's looks because I associate with the German landsknechte of Renaissance history. A lot of weapons in fantasy games (including the greatsword) only really work in fantasy, but the zweihander in this game is literally just a zweihander with slightly exaggerated size. So, to me, the zweihander is all 16th-century-German-mercenary business -- it doesn't need a fantasy setting to be awesome, as it was trialed and proven in the past and earned a fearsome reputation.
    XuitusTheGreat
    XuitusTheGreat
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XuitusTheGreat Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Wisp wrote:http://tinyurl.com/8uxsde8

DOOOM

the thrust on that would hurt like hell!
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Well if you really want your beloved, you should make an SL 200 build. That'll be the first thing I do when the DLC is released for PS3. After that I'll probably start making a buttload of 99's ;3
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:22 pm

streemlined version http://tinyurl.com/93e38dj

http://tinyurl.com/9kye997 Pretty much the same thing, but faster and with better defenses

Seriously guys, under 600 ar on a ug weapon is str builds are now popular? HOW? - Page 2 2324285107 better off with a greatsword class weapon if it doesn't break 600 ar.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Well the msgs crystal has about 600 with 40 str and +15 its 520 which I think it's awesome and I just love that weapon.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:58 pm

my point. (its 579)

Thats why the zweihs 621 is sub par (and its 1 a playthrough so crystal isn't really an option)

The greatsword can go crystal because they can be bought, and at 40/40 hits 671 ar, but the crystal dgm (for 30 fewer points in dex mind you) hits 708 and has better reach
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:52 am

WyrmHero wrote:Also Zweih is the longest UGS, and the Greatsword is short. The thrust R2 of the Greatsword, although slow, is the best R2 of all the UGS in my opinion. Like a super BSS thrust.
    THIS THIS THIS THIS!
    1450 damage in a single non-backstab attack is NOT something to bat your eyes at. It's INSANELY superior to the Zwei.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 pm