Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+36
neon__noodle
jsd201
hageshisa
Alluier
Bcc17
Maneater_Mildred
User
TehInfamousAmos
TheSorrowedMan
fearandwhiskey
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
nsane32
RANT
sinisterapathy
Garl_Vinland
Bamjam
DeCeleRator93
Quarik
samster628
Freakyways
vatar5
Massiren
befowler
ManiacDiscord
BLA1NE
BackwardsBaboon
Azran
Emergence
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Jester's Tears
Wade_Wilson
Serious_Much
Dubscythe
Digitalyzed
Forum Pirate
ViralEnsign_
40 posters

The Official Borderlands 2 Thread: We're coming for you Handsome Jack

BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

The Official Borderlands 2 Thread: We're coming for you Handsome Jack - Page 11 Empty Re: The Official Borderlands 2 Thread: We're coming for you Handsome Jack

Post by BLA1NE Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 pm

The Fibber? Sounds familiar, but I can't recall...

I spent most of my play time today getting side-tracked through a new area that was just opened to me. Made me realize the main difference between Borderlands and Dark Souls (well, it's obvious, but it's interesting when you think about it more deeply!): fetch quests vs the environment being its own quest.

In Dark Souls, progress is its own challenge, and has its own rewards. Your discovery of one area leads to the next and you progress, not only for progress's sake, but for the discovery. And the bosses! But in Borderlands, you progress because some NPC told you to go there, and gather this or do that, then come back and have him tell you where to go next. To be honest, it's when I get side-tracked that I enjoy Borderlands the most! I like discovering the environment through exploration, and curiosity, and have the environment be its own quest. I love finding hidden treasures, not have some NPC tell me "there's a treasure there, get it and I'll give you some loot as reward."

Seriously, *** fetch-quests! If there's one thing devs need to learn from From and Dark Souls, it's that you don't need to have dumbass quests to lead the player through the game; let the world do that. And then you'll have your fanbase poring and puzzling and piecing together its lore themselves!
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

The Official Borderlands 2 Thread: We're coming for you Handsome Jack - Page 11 Empty Re: The Official Borderlands 2 Thread: We're coming for you Handsome Jack

Post by Digitalyzed Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 am

BLA1NE wrote:I got the Bane. Pretty hilarious! Utterly unusable, too. silly I banked it--couldn't separate from it.

"SWITCHING WEAPONS", "GEGEGEGEGEGEGEGEGEGEGEGEGEGEGEGEGEGEGE"

Oh god that weapon is awesome.

And Blaine, the fibber is the weapon that lies about all of it's stats, just to dissapoint you later. You get it from the Mal questline.

Just finished Zero at level 50, Axton here I come.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:06 pm

befowler wrote:She actually gives you one gun at $10,000 in tips that's pretty good, I think "her favorite" one is maybe $20k.

I love those slot machines, if you have 4 players since everyone gets the cash reward when someone hits you can basically keep playing indefinitely. That's how I got the money to "buy" her guns, and all the iridium upgrades.

I have had no luck with those slots yets but at your behest I keep trying!

BLA1NE wrote:The Fibber? Sounds familiar, but I can't recall...

I spent most of my play time today getting side-tracked through a new area that was just opened to me. Made me realize the main difference between Borderlands and Dark Souls (well, it's obvious, but it's interesting when you think about it more deeply!): fetch quests vs the environment being its own quest.

In Dark Souls, progress is its own challenge, and has its own rewards. Your discovery of one area leads to the next and you progress, not only for progress's sake, but for the discovery. And the bosses! But in Borderlands, you progress because some NPC told you to go there, and gather this or do that, then come back and have him tell you where to go next. To be honest, it's when I get side-tracked that I enjoy Borderlands the most! I like discovering the environment through exploration, and curiosity, and have the environment be its own quest. I love finding hidden treasures, not have some NPC tell me "there's a treasure there, get it and I'll give you some loot as reward."

Seriously, *** fetch-quests! If there's one thing devs need to learn from From and Dark Souls, it's that you don't need to have dumbass quests to lead the player through the game; let the world do that. And then you'll have your fanbase poring and puzzling and piecing together its lore themselves!

Well said. In fact today I went into an new area and walked back out because I had no business there. Then while running missions in the Caustic Caverns I realized just how dollar-on-a-string the missions felt like. You actually have to make a conscientious effort to slow down, and explore. Sometimes I'll even find myself blowing through a mission without really knowing the mission ccntext. It's the frenetic nature of the game and the loot focus for me.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:59 pm

I've probably spent 40% of my game time just playing those slots. I often hit the 3 cherries, which usually gets you a good green gun. 3 "legs" can get you a nice blue one, or more often a char/vehicle skin unlock. I've hit the 3 Marcus heads a few times, which gets you a purple gun that is extremely powerful, if still level specific (I got an amazing shotgun from one of those -- 105 x 15 damage, 80% accuracy, bonus crit damage, and 12 shots, plus a scope and melee blade bonus). I've only see the 3 vault symbols hit once out of probably 1000+ tries, when someone else was playing the machine. It spawns an orange unique, and all these fireworks go off.

Plus all of these things count towards your various bad*** challenges, like collecting X purple items etc, so after dumping in $10k I'll usually end up with 10-15 top notch weapons, a bunch of iridum, and 3-4 bad*** medals to spend. It beats the hell out of BL1 level farming for a chest or two of items.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Do Badass ranks ever stop? Thereotically, could you make a new character and have him be as powerful as possible off the start thanks to the cross-character bonuses?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Good question. It never occurred to me.
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Wade, it requires roughly 640 tokens to get a 100% boost on a single stat. At badass rank 8000 you have under 200, so though in theory it is possible, the amount of characters required to get 100% bonuses in each stat would be massive.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:34 pm

yeah Im at somthing like 4000 and the max I have in any stat is 6.0% increase

I think the diminishing returns really being to slow down at a little over 6% so beyond you require a hell of a lot more medals to rank up notably
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Those tokens are such a nice touch. Really adds an element of value to the more mundane parts of the game.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Agreed....though I never realised it was shared across characters so I put tokens into Elemental effects for my Siren (which is a class I dont like much anymore) and when I started playing Axton it was all into Shield Capacity, Regen Rate, Max Health, and all the basic weapon buffs.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 pm

I also love how you get skin and head unlocks from the badass challenges. I just unlocked an awesome head for Zer0 by getting 1000 kills with deception--which didn't take long at all once I finally hit level 31. I get ridiculous deception melee kill-chains now! I get way more melee kills than I do with guns anymore--all I use is my pistol that has +100% melee damage.

I'm starting to get really good drops, now. Used to be that I kept maybe 1 or 2 guns, on top of my equipped 4, to swap from time to time, and fill the rest of my inventory for resale. Now I'm getting to the point where I have a hard time keeping less than 5-6+ extra weapons in my inventory! I just can't sell them, they're all so good.

So if anyone finds that class mod I'm looking for (melee boost, followthrough bonus and other bloodshed skills tree bonuses), I might have something you'd be interested to trade it for. Like... a rocket launcher that deals 14,000 damage? winking (Its level requirement is 27, if I remember correctly.)
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Blaine add me on PSN and we can do a bit of co op, that is if you are keen for it.

Ive played with Hoshi a few times, he is zero as well, and I noticed that deception chained with the turret is pretty sweet.
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:51 am

I may have what you're looking for Blaine but it's with my level 50 zero and is about level 48. Give me a while to farm another with my Axton for your level, and I'll tell you if I get anything.

I find that my inventory is always at 22/27, as I farmed so many E-tech guns that I don't want to get rid of them.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:18 pm

I've been doing multiple characters mostly for the shared badass point bonuses, and another factor I noticed is the higher a stat is, the less likely it seems to be to show up for another point to be spent on. In other words, in order to keep increasing something juicy like gun damage or shield capacity, you need to keep also spending points on things you are less interested in to keep them at a similar level.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:35 pm

But you normally can circumvent about 3-4 stats entirely.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:52 pm

@Viral:

Of course I'm up for co-op! What level/ story mission are you? I'm 32 now, and I think the last story mission I completed was "Where Angels Fear to Tread".

I'll be on tonight. I have to do my math homework first! If you get on before me, add me: Blaine.

@Digital:

Level 48 sounds great! I won't be able to use it yet, but it'll be useful once I'm capped. What does it have, exactly?
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:01 pm

I just did that and wow I would never have expected that twist....that was awesome....
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:39 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-borderlands-2-remorseless-addiction-machine/
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:02 pm

That was the most hilarious, quote for truth article on Borderlands I've ever read and done in a way only Cracked can. It's also 100% dead on. My favorite line was "shouldn't have gotten into goonery in the first place if they couldn't take the heat.". The various piñata references were also delightful. In fact reading it makes me want to play it.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:23 pm

cool I found that funny orange and yellow Dahl minigun that shows up on the loading screens... it is a Lilith would say "THE TITS!"
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Maliwan and Jakobs to this point are what's doin it for me. The rocks/paper/scissors game of resistances makes Maliwan a favorite again. Is it just me or are the Torgue gyro bullets kinda agonizing to use? Holy crap they hit hard but using the launcher required me to lead the target like a pro qb. I prefer speed and accuracy when blowing up midgets.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:56 pm

Im a Dahl/ Valdof man.

I like to "shoot a lot of bullets really fast" and since valdof has that increased fire rate Assault Rifles Benefit me greatly. Not to mention there are a some really good miniguns avaliable at medium levels.

Dahl is probably my favourite though. It has a warfighter feel to it and since its special feature is burst fire I can get high damage, good control, and on the badass minigun I have now..... I seen about 9x 330 at me enemies with a 55 round clip.
    Digitalyzed
    Digitalyzed
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Digitalyzed Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:59 am

Blaine, it has +48% Melee damage, with bonuses to Resurgence, backstab, and killing blow (5,3,4)
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:27 pm

I love finding weapons that are on the load screens. I've found maybe half of them so far. My favorite is the yellow/checkerboard skinned minigun one, it looks great and I love how it shoots slowly at first and then faster and faster and faster as it speeds up. The midgets are all like "Ow ow, that hurts, but I can take it ow ow ow ow ok this is getting a little OW ARGHGHGHHG." It's science.
    Wade_Wilson
    Wade_Wilson
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Wade_Wilson Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:47 pm

I love this game. That is all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:25 am